Posted to alt.home.repair

Default American mailboxes

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 23:36:05 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

I need to find a new country to live in.

Do you speak Spanish?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 21:50:29 -0000, Mark Lloyd wrote:

[snip]

I also often get 2 or 3 of one leaflet, perhaps they're trying to get
rid of them more easily :-)

I used to live om Elm street. There was a company sending me catalogs. I
would get 2 or each catalog. Both to the same name and address, except
one would have the street as "Elm" and the other as "Eln". Since it's a
small town and there's no Eln street (maybe because its too hard to
pronounce), the mail carrier knew what to do.

Well I never knew that. R.E.M. didn't actually sing "are you goofin' on Elm Street baby":
http://kissthisguy.com/andy-are-you-...eard-38882.htm

--
The only two animals that can see behind themselves without turning their heads are the rabbit and the parrot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 23:07:53 -0000, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 1:34:50 PM UTC-6, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 02:08:51 -0000, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 18:20:57 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

It's all fun and games until someone gets killed, which is 100 times more likely in your backwards country.

The Americas are not for wimps.

... nor subjects under a Monarch

No, just an endless supply of monarch wannabes. I liked the Mel Gibson
line at the beginning of 'The Patriot'. 'Do we want one tyrant a
thousand miles away or a thousand tyrants a mile away?'

The brits forget that the were invaded, conquered and enslaved. Next
time will be Ahmed doing it.

Achmed will take over the whole planet, because every civilized country is too damn stupid to realize what's happening, they're all too politically correct.
--
******I corrected your spelin*******

Our new President Trump has shot that ******* Political Correctness and it's flopping around dying a slow painful death and will be tossed on a bonfire when it stops squealing. Whiny little Liberal Leftist weasels are being told to STFU here in The U.S. much more often now. Muslims stay home! ヽ(à²*_à²*)ノ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBvfiCdk-jc

May Trump continue through many terms.

--
I never would have married you if I knew how stupid you were!" shouted the woman to her husband.
The husband replied, "You should've known how stupid I was the minute I asked you to marry me!"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 00:13:38 -0000, Dean Hoffman wrote:

On 2/19/17 4:09 PM, Oren wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

Ahmed will take over the whole planet, because every civilised
country is too damn stupid to realise what's happening, they're all
too politically correct.

Maybe in your world. Have you counted the guns on my street? Come
****in' around this neighborhood. Start some **** and watch. Predators
pick on the weak. Look at what is happening in Europe, UK and other
pussyfied countries. A bunch of pansy assed bleeding heart do-gooders.

Spit.

We have our share in the U.S. How many citizens of New York
City are
armed? How about Chicago? The gangs might end up being the rescuers.

You'd better hope it happens before they're outnumbered.

--
This exchange was overheard between the separated sections of the jail.
A male voice yells over to the female side: "I got 12 inches over here you would love to have."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 00:31:23 -0000, Dean Hoffman wrote:

So you're all paying a tiny amount of money but having to walk up and
down your drives all the time. And they told me America was rich.

The silly part is the people paying good money to go to gyms to
workout.
They won't take the steps or park at the far corner of a business
parking lot.
Walking is a money saver compared to seeing a heart surgeon.
There was an advertisement for a gym years ago that bragged about their
front door parking.

When I want exercise, I drive to the countryside and go running and swimming. Outdoors, free, fresh air, nobody in my way, nice scenery. Exercising inside a building is a ****ing stupid idea.

--
On going to war over religion:
You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend. -- Richard Jeni

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well I never knew that. R.E.M. didn't actually sing "are you goofin' on
Elm Street baby":
http://kissthisguy.com/andy-are-you-...eard-38882.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRaaT6jV-Q0

For history, Elm St. was a black neighborhood on the outskirts of Dallas
and the area became known as 'Deep Ellum' following the local
pronunciation. There are a lot of versions of Deep Ellum, or sometimes
Elem, Blues.

Then it got gentrified... Now you really better keep your money in your
shoe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 19:28:18 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

There are a lot of versions of Deep Ellum, or sometimes
Elem, Blues.

_Blackberry Smoke "Deep Elem Blues"_

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q-2OijZpzE

Georgia boys ;-)

Live: (w/Billy Gibbons) _Deep Elum Blues _

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VQ5EH8w_Tw
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

There are a lot of versions of Deep Ellum, or sometimes
Elem, Blues.

_Blackberry Smoke "Deep Elem Blues"_

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q-2OijZpzE

Georgia boys ;-)

Live: (w/Billy Gibbons) _Deep Elum Blues _

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VQ5EH8w_Tw

Pretty good though i think they listened to the old traditional Grateful
Dead version once or twice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a993H8nWO7g

afaik none of the bluesmen that actually lived in Deep Ellum like Blind
Lemon or Lightnin' Hopkins ever covered the song.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 15:57:12 -0000, HerHusband wrote:

Around here that would be an invitation to mail theft. Flags up, checks
are in the box.

What part of the USA is this?

Southwest Washington State, out in a rural country area.

When we first moved here we had lots of problems with mailboxes being
destroyed with drive by baseball bats. I had to replace our box 5-6
times
the first few years. I also made a pull out area for the mail carrier
and
moved the box off the road a ways. That seemed to help make it not so
convenient for the drivebys.

Thankfully, whoever was doing it grew up or was finally caught. We
haven't
had an issue in over 20 years.

Which is why in the UK we don't have boxes at all.

There's about 3 houses down our road that have mailboxes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 5:10:49 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 21:22:15 -0000, Mark Lloyd wrote:

On 02/16/2017 10:30 AM, burfordTjustice wrote:
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 15:31:30 -0000 (UTC)
HerHusband wrote:

Our old mailman used to run like clockwork, right around 10am every
weekday. In recent years they've been a lot more variable, anywhere
from 9am to 4pm. It can be frustrating to walk the few hundred feet
to the mailbox and back to the house, only to hear them drive by a
few minutes later.

Save all the postage paid envelopes from the junk mail. Stuff each one
with stuff from another.
Put out in your mail box for pickup.
When you look and see the flag down you know mail has
went by.

Here, they ignore the flag and don't put it down.

One interesting junk-mail thing here comes on some Thursdays. That's the
day for curbside recycling pickup here. If mail comes first, I can
transfer most of it directly to the recycling container.

Note that some of the junk mail (from charities) comes with a little
money inside (usually just a nickel, but I have found $2 bills), so you
might want to look first.

How do they know the difference between the flag for them to collect, and the flag for you to collect?

The flag for them to collect is red (and its appearance is probably
regulated by the Office of the Postmaster General). On my mailbox,
the one for me is yellow.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 5:12:39 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

Which is why in the UK we don't have boxes at all.

Somebody must be buying these, or amazon.co.uk wouldn't sell them:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hardcastle-Outdoor-Lockable-Locking-Mailbox/dp/B00C7NNRLW

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 6:44:44 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 00:31:23 -0000, Dean Hoffman wrote:

So you're all paying a tiny amount of money but having to walk up and
down your drives all the time. And they told me America was rich.

The silly part is the people paying good money to go to gyms to
workout.
They won't take the steps or park at the far corner of a business
parking lot.
Walking is a money saver compared to seeing a heart surgeon.
There was an advertisement for a gym years ago that bragged about their
front door parking.

When I want exercise, I drive to the countryside and go running and swimming. Outdoors, free, fresh air, nobody in my way, nice scenery. Exercising inside a building is a ****ing stupid idea.

What do you do when there's 1.5 metres of snow on the ground and the
temperature is -20 C ?

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 6:43:56 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
[...]

Do you really think that the fat slob frigging idiot troll actually exercises?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/21/17 1:46 AM, Bod wrote:

Which is why in the UK we don't have boxes at all.

There's about 3 houses down our road that have mailboxes.

I was going to ask what farmers have for mailboxes. Farm driveways
in my little area can be anywhere from ten yards apart to a couple miles or
so apart.
The postal service has specifications for mailbox height and distance
from the road shoulder so the carriers can deliver/pickup the mail without
getting out of their vehicles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 21/02/2017 12:12, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 2/21/17 1:46 AM, Bod wrote:

Which is why in the UK we don't have boxes at all.

There's about 3 houses down our road that have mailboxes.

I was going to ask what farmers have for mailboxes. Farm driveways
in my little area can be anywhere from ten yards apart to a couple miles or
so apart.
The postal service has specifications for mailbox height and distance
from the road shoulder so the carriers can deliver/pickup the mail without
getting out of their vehicles.

As far as I know, our mail is delivered to every letterbox, no matter
how far the house or farm is away from the road..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/21/2017 04:43 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
[...]

He goes out naked and makes snow angels. A little cold doesn't phase
him. Personally, I dig out the snowshoes or skis. At -4 it's generally
nice powder snow. Either of the above will get your heart rate up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/21/2017 04:50 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Certainly. He can hammer curl 2 kilo Tesco bags full of crisps for
hours, pausing only for a snack or two.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/21/17 1:46 AM, Bod wrote:

Which is why in the UK we don't have boxes at all.

There's about 3 houses down our road that have mailboxes.

I was going to ask what farmers have for mailboxes. Farm driveways
in my little area can be anywhere from ten yards apart to a couple miles or
so apart.
The postal service has specifications for mailbox height and distance
from the road shoulder so the carriers can deliver/pickup the mail without
getting out of their vehicles.

As far as I know, our mail is delivered to every letterbox, no matter
how far the house or farm is away from the road..

I've seen posties drive up farm tracks.

--
I'm not so think as you drunk I am...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 12:12:47 -0000, Dean Hoffman wrote:

On 2/21/17 1:46 AM, Bod wrote:

Which is why in the UK we don't have boxes at all.

There's about 3 houses down our road that have mailboxes.

I was going to ask what farmers have for mailboxes. Farm driveways
in my little area can be anywhere from ten yards apart to a couple miles or
so apart.
The postal service has specifications for mailbox height and distance
from the road shoulder so the carriers can deliver/pickup the mail without
getting out of their vehicles.

How lazy!

Mind you, I think it's pretty stupid when people have letterboxes at the bottom of their doors so the postie has to bend over all the time.

--
I'm not so think as you drunk I am...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 07:46:23 -0000, Bod wrote:

[...]

I didn't mean everyone, I might the normal thing is to have a letterbox in the door.

--
Money can't buy you true love.
It does however put you in a good bargaining position.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 03:43:50 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

What do you do when there's 1.5 metres of snow on the ground and the
temperature is -20 C ?

Move farther south
Posted to alt.home.repair

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in
news
How do they know the difference between the flag for them to collect,
and the flag for you to collect?

Maybe this has already been answered but here I put the flag up if there is
mail to be picked up. The PO puts it down after delivery. The PO doesn't
put any flag up to signal they put mail in the box - I alwaus have to check
to see if I have mail. There are gadgets to tell you remotely if the
mailbox has been opened but if you had mail in the box for pickup that
wouldn't signal you that delivered mail had been left.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 10:16:12 AM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
[...]

Sorry. "Don't have boxes at all" means "everyone".

I've been thinking about differences between the US
and the UK. We have millions and millions of houses with
no sidewalks between them. I wasn't able to readily
discover how many millions.

On my street (as an example), the speed limit is 72 kph,
which means most people drive 88 kph. Without sidewalks,
it's really a gamble whether a pedestrian will be mown down.

The time it takes to drive from house to house, get out
of the vehicle, walk up to the house, deliver the mail,
walk back to the vehicle and get in it, then drive to
the next house (etc.) is cost-prohibitive. Better to
drive down the street, stuff the mail in the box at
the side of the road, and proceed. It costs us about
2/3 as much to send an ordinary letter as it does you.

Plenty of people in big cities have mail slots, where
it is cost-effective (and traditional) to have them.

Just out of curiosity, I googled the population and land
mass sizes for the US and UK:

UK: 64.1 million people / 94,058 square miles
US: 318.9 million people / 3.797 million square miles

It really is very different here.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 21 Feb 2017 17:56:56 GMT, KenK wrote:

"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in
news
How do they know the difference between the flag for them to collect,
and the flag for you to collect?

Maybe this has already been answered but here I put the flag up if there is
mail to be picked up. The PO puts it down after delivery. The PO doesn't
put any flag up to signal they put mail in the box - I alwaus have to check
to see if I have mail. There are gadgets to tell you remotely if the
mailbox has been opened but if you had mail in the box for pickup that
wouldn't signal you that delivered mail had been left.

These days you can put a camera in the box pretty cheaply, if you
already have cameras around the house. You could power it with a solar
collector. You might also get a picture of the guy who steals your
mail if that happens.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 17:59:20 -0000, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

[...]

No, I was referring to America having boxes in some areas/states where the houses are spaced out, and not in cities. But in the UK no areas are boxes. Boxes are just a few people here and there not wanting a slot into their house (usually worried about dog eating mail etc).

I've been thinking about differences between the US
and the UK. We have millions and millions of houses with
no sidewalks between them. I wasn't able to readily
discover how many millions.

On my street (as an example), the speed limit is 72 kph,
which means most people drive 88 kph. Without sidewalks,
it's really a gamble whether a pedestrian will be mown down.

Try looking before crossing?

The time it takes to drive from house to house, get out
of the vehicle, walk up to the house, deliver the mail,
walk back to the vehicle and get in it, then drive to
the next house (etc.) is cost-prohibitive.

I guess that would make your letters very expensive.

Better to
drive down the street, stuff the mail in the box at
the side of the road, and proceed. It costs us about
2/3 as much to send an ordinary letter as it does you.

2/3s isn't worth the effort.

Plenty of people in big cities have mail slots, where
it is cost-effective (and traditional) to have them.

Just out of curiosity, I googled the population and land
mass sizes for the US and UK:

UK: 64.1 million people / 94,058 square miles
US: 318.9 million people / 3.797 million square miles

So that's:
UK: 681.5 people per sq mile.
US: 84 people per sq mile.

It really is very different here.

Indeed, I want to move there. So much space!
Why doesn't the population grow to be the same density as ours?

--
What's meaner than a pit bull with AIDS?
The guy that gave it to him.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

Here, they ignore the flag and don't put it down.

[snip]

How do they know the difference between the flag for them to collect,
and the flag for you to collect?

What? There's only one flag and they IGNORE it. Could you have meant to
respond to someone else, who has 2 flags?

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Ad for candy bars: "Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't."
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

When I put out meat for my cats, I often think one has crapped on the
floor, because meat smells precisely like ****, decomposing matter. How
the **** anyone can put that in their mouth is beyond me.

I find considerable difference between the smell of fresh meat and the
smell of fresh ****. Maybe your sense of smell is unusual. I have that
problem with certain vegetables,

BTW, I grew up on a farm, where cow patties often became toys. As my
grandfather said, "don't play with one that's fresh".

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Ad for candy bars: "Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't."
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

A few times I found a $2 bill on junk mail (IIRC always from a "charity"
wanting more in return).

WTF? How can that possibly work?

I guess you're supposed to feel guilty about keeping the $2 bill,
instead of sending them a big check. The same thing with the address
labels, calendars, and other junk they send.

BTW, I got over 30 of those "free" 2017 calendars.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Ad for candy bars: "Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't."
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

I have 5 cats that come and go and spend a lot of time inside. And 1
which has very very long hair and consequently can't wash himself and
gets leaves and go knows what else caught in there. Thankfully he isn't
here often, when he is I can smell him. Next time I get a hold of him
he's getting a shampoo followed by a severe trim.

I used to think it was impossible to have a cat that couldn't wash
himself. Now I know someone who has one. He seems to like being cleaned
with baby wipes.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Ad for candy bars: "Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't."
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

Well I never knew that. R.E.M. didn't actually sing "are you goofin' on
Elm Street baby":
http://kissthisguy.com/andy-are-you-...eard-38882.htm

I misheard a lot of stuff in the song at the beginning of "All In The
Family", including "Mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoo Maracken"
and "Ye are all the sour and grate".

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Ad for candy bars: "Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/20/2017 08:28 PM, rbowman wrote:

[snip]

For history, Elm St. was a black neighborhood on the outskirts of Dallas
and the area became known as 'Deep Ellum' following the local
pronunciation. There are a lot of versions of Deep Ellum, or sometimes
Elem, Blues.

[snip]

For several years, I lived in Denton, which is close (next county) to
Dallas. I remember hearing "Deep Ellum" a lot (as first I thought I was
hearing "Debellum").

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Ad for candy bars: "Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't."
Posted to alt.home.repair

[snip]

When I want exercise, I drive to the countryside and go running and
swimming. Outdoors, free, fresh air, nobody in my way, nice scenery.
Exercising inside a building is a ****ing stupid idea.

One advantage of outside exercise it it's not as easy to quit (you still
have to get home), so you're likely to get more exercise.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Ad for candy bars: "Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 22:21:48 -0000, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 12:35:47 PM UTC-6, rbowman wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 01:52:36 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 17:36:33 -0000, wrote:

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 17:16:40 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

It's all fun and games until someone gets killed, which is 100 times
more likely in your backwards country.

The Americas are not for wimps.

You don't see the problem with killing each other?

Survival of the fittest. Considering the demographics of who is killing
whom, it might improve the gene pool.

Fittest and most accurate with a gun are not the same thing.

Surviving to reproduce is the only criteria. The West fails to
understand that basic concept. Little side projects like inventing
driverless cars mean nothing in the long run if you cannot conserve the
genetic heritage.

Muslims from 3rd World countries are invading then breeding like rabbits while the native population of Western 1st World countries are having few if any children. Anyone who says Caucasians need to have more children is called a racist. It could come to pass in my lifetime that the native people of Western countries go to war with the invasive species from the Muslim world. Lots of guns will be used. ”Œ( à²*_à²*)”˜

The Muslims use weapons too. They outnumber the yanks and will destroy you.

--
Imagine you are a child in your mother's womb, can you detect light?
Only during ballet practice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 5:09:21 PM UTC-6, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 22:21:48 -0000, Uncle Monster wrote:

Muslims from 3rd World countries are invading then breeding like rabbits while the native population of Western 1st World countries are having few if any children. Anyone who says Caucasians need to have more children is called a racist. It could come to pass in my lifetime that the native people of Western countries go to war with the invasive species from the Muslim world. Lots of guns will be used. ”Œ( à²*_à²*)”˜

The Muslims use weapons too. They outnumber the yanks and will destroy you.
--

We have tactical nukes which will allow us to kill large numbers of the invasive species. Those crazy fother muckers don't care if they die anyway. Mothers send their children on suicide missions so the only way to control them is to kill them all. ヽ(à²*_à²*)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Nuclear Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 21/02/2017 23:35, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Exactly WHERE would you suggest you 'take them out', UNM?

--
"Do something wonderful, people may imitate it." (Albert Schweitzer)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Indeed, I want to move there. So much space!
Why doesn't the population grow to be the same density as ours?

This state has 7 people per square mile. You'll love it.

https://www.milescityforsale.com/our...terry-montana/

23 acres, all for you:

https://www.milescityforsale.com/lis...-9-moon-creek/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/21/2017 02:16 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
BTW, I grew up on a farm, where cow patties often became toys. As my
grandfather said, "don't play with one that's fresh".

The fresh ones make lousy frisbees. You don't want them too dry though.

http://modernfarmer.com/2014/06/insi...owing-contest/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 5:48:10 PM UTC-6, David B. wrote:
[...]

Nuke em where they spawned. Kill them in their native countries then start the purge of the First World. A roundup with a spay and neuter program to keep their numbers down would work. ”Œ( à²*_à²*)”˜

[8~{} Uncle Killer Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 18:56:32 -0700, rbowman

Indeed, I want to move there. So much space!
Why doesn't the population grow to be the same density as ours?

This state has 7 people per square mile. You'll love it.

https://www.milescityforsale.com/our...terry-montana/

23 acres, all for you:

https://www.milescityforsale.com/lis...-9-moon-creek/

Nah. The brit would love Minot, ND. Cold wouldn't bother him! He
might need an anchored rope to get to his mailbox so he doesn't get
lost in a blizzard. "Freezin' is the reason." Or Maybe Fargo?

https://tinyurl.com/hf6w6bw