Posted to alt.home.repair

Default American mailboxes

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 3:20:50 AM UTC-5, Bod wrote:
I have smelt and eaten meat. It's revolting.

"The bast way to enjoy a vegetarian diet is to feed it to a cow, and eat
the cow."

Corn is what food eats.

Spoken like a true yankee dumbass.

That's funny coming from a guy that lives in a country where people
can't remember to check their mail unless it's lying on the floor
where they can see it.

The Tofu fartin' fairy can't figure many things out.

Why give yourself extra things to do? You pay the mail company to deliver mail, then have to go fetch it yourself?!

Frigging idiot. What's your definition of "fetch"?

I grab it on the way in. It's no more effort than picking it up off of
the floor. Then, in your case, you have to fumigate it because of how
nasty your floor is.

You pay the mail company to deliver mail and then you pay for wasted heat
because of that hole in your door. Well, maybe not. You probably found an
old rotted piece of wood in somebody's garbage and call it a door. The
hole probably makes little to no difference.

Our letterboxes on our houses have a flap that shuts automatically as
soon as the letters go through the flap.

What's the R factor of that flap vs. the R factor of the rest of the door?

Assuming a quality door, of course.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote: - show quoted text -
"What's the R factor of that flap vs. the R factor of the rest of the door?
Assuming a quality door, of course. "

If rest of the dwelling is well insulated and
weather stripped, especially roof/attic,
infiltrations issues through the mail slot
will be minimal.

As a test, in my two-story house with attic,
on a cold day I cracked open a down stairs
window. Istuck my hand in the opening and felt cold,
but not coming in. I then went upstairs and
opened the attic stair-hatch about halfway down,
then returned to cracked open window downstairs.
Cold air was blasting in as heated air escaped
into that attic! The moral? Insulate top-down.
Dodges drafts!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 08:20:41 -0000, Bod wrote:

[...]

A spring is far too complicated a device for an American to understand. Stop making fun of them!

--
A man came home from work earlier than usual and caught his wife in bed with his best friend.
Enraged, the husband grabbed a gun and shot his friend.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 08:07:53 -0000, Bod wrote:

All meat tastes like decaying dead flesh. I fail to see how you can
call it food.

No, that's brussel sprouts.

They have more flavour than meat.

You don't know what you are talking about because you're a veggie.

I have smelt and eaten meat. It's revolting.

To you.
Billions of people love the taste.

It's not food. It's already been eaten. You might aswell eat your own
vomit or ****.

ROTFPML. You are completely nuts!

Why pay for another animal to digest your food for you?

--
What's a diaphragm?
A trampoline for dickheads.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/19/2017 03:20 AM, Bod wrote:

Our letterboxes on our houses have a flap that shuts automatically as
soon as the letters go through the flap.

All I get is junkmail so I've considered putting a mail slot on a trash can.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 8:53:30 AM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
[...]

Frigging idiot. What's the R value of the spring loaded flap vs. the rest of
the door? Of course, in your case, the metal flap probably provides more
insulation than the termite ridden slab of wood you use as a door.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19/02/2017 15:05, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Most of us have another plastic flap on the inside of the door.
There is no draught and the heat loss through such a small opening is of
course neglible.

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 13:52:31 -0000, wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote: - show quoted text -
"What's the R factor of that flap vs. the R factor of the rest of the door?
Assuming a quality door, of course. "

If rest of the dwelling is well insulated and
weather stripped, especially roof/attic,
infiltrations issues through the mail slot
will be minimal.

As a test, in my two-story house with attic,
on a cold day I cracked open a down stairs
window. Istuck my hand in the opening and felt cold,
but not coming in. I then went upstairs and
opened the attic stair-hatch about halfway down,
then returned to cracked open window downstairs.
Cold air was blasting in as heated air escaped
into that attic! The moral? Insulate top-down.
Dodges drafts!

No, you just need to have no more than one hole. Two holes (on different sides of the building) means a through passage of air.

--
We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not compromised. We are associated, but not absorbed.
And should a European statesman address us and say "Shall we speak for thee?", we should reply "nay sir, for we dwell among our own people".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 8:52:35 AM UTC-5, wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote: - show quoted text -
"What's the R factor of that flap vs. the R factor of the rest of the door?
Assuming a quality door, of course. "

If rest of the dwelling is well insulated and
weather stripped, especially roof/attic,
infiltrations issues through the mail slot
will be minimal.

As a test, in my two-story house with attic,
on a cold day I cracked open a down stairs
window. Istuck my hand in the opening and felt cold,
but not coming in. I then went upstairs and
opened the attic stair-hatch about halfway down,
then returned to cracked open window downstairs.
Cold air was blasting in as heated air escaped
into that attic! The moral? Insulate top-down.
Dodges drafts!

Would you leave that window open all the time? I think not. While
the mail flap is less "leaky" than an open window, it's still an
opening that reduces the R value of the door.

BTW if simply opening your attic stairs causes heat to "blast" into
the attic, you may need to improve the insulation for the opening.

If all you have is the basic 1/4" plywood cover, you are losing a lot
of heat into the attic even when it's closed. When I open my attic stairs,
this is what I see:

http://i.imgur.com/o0K2Bpc.jpg

I built it to fit snug enough in the framing that the handles are needed
to pull it down.

Here's an attic view of the same type of device. Mine actually sits inside
the opening, on top of the framing for the stairs, as opposed to just resting
on the floor like the one in the image below. Mine has a much tighter fit.

https://www.conservationmart.com/ima...dium/10134.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 12:12:27 -0000, Dean Hoffman wrote:

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 22:27:58 -0000, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

No point in wasting it. You could use it for something else.

I'm curious. What should/could we use thousands and
thousands of
square miles of grassland for? Look at pictures of the Nebraska
Sandhills
to see what I'm referring to.
There is a golf course by Mullen, NE that is world class but how
many of
those can exist?
http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/sand-hills/

Get some imagination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeJuUqDqY00

I think that's narcotics.

--
Definition of a secretary:
An office fixture that isn't permanent until it's been screwed on the boss's desk.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 14:23:02 -0000, Paul wrote:

On 02/19/2017 03:20 AM, Bod wrote:

Our letterboxes on our houses have a flap that shuts automatically as
soon as the letters go through the flap.

All I get is junkmail so I've considered putting a mail slot on a
trash can.

Save it up, wait till you get a freepost envelope from one of them, then
put it all in that and send it back to them.

Just write *return to sender* on every one, then about once a month post
the lot.

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 15:38:03 -0000, Bod wrote:

[...]

He forgot to multiply the R value by the surface area. Of course we can't expect Americans to do maths, only math.

--
Did you know that dolphins are so intelligent that within only a few weeks of captivity, they can train humans to stand at the edge of the pool and throw them fish?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 15:40:31 -0000, Bod wrote:

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 14:23:02 -0000, Paul wrote:

On 02/19/2017 03:20 AM, Bod wrote:

Our letterboxes on our houses have a flap that shuts automatically as
soon as the letters go through the flap.

All I get is junkmail so I've considered putting a mail slot on a
trash can.

Save it up, wait till you get a freepost envelope from one of them, then
put it all in that and send it back to them.

Just write *return to sender* on every one, then about once a month post
the lot.

A lot of it comes via the postman. The postmen here don't bother putting it through unless they're at the door for normal post anyway. Not sure if that's what they're meant to be doing....

I also often get 2 or 3 of one leaflet, perhaps they're trying to get rid of them more easily :-)

--
This space was empty.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 10:41:46 AM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
[...]

Frigging idiot. It's still an *unnecessary* hole in the door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19/02/2017 16:07, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

It is necessary if you want your mail delivered through it, Twit.

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 7:53:30 AM UTC-6, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 08:20:41 -0000, Bod wrote:

Our letterboxes on our houses have a flap that shuts automatically as
soon as the letters go through the flap.

A spring is far too complicated a device for an American to understand. Stop making fun of them!
--

Years ago, I had a brass mail slot with a flap installed in the door of my business. It used a very complicated system to close the flap that my Limey cousins have yet to comprehend. It's called gravity and it worked every time.
ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Complicated Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 11:27:25 AM UTC-5, Bod wrote:
[...]

Which I don't, for the very reason I mentioned.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 16:27:22 -0000, Bod wrote:

[...]

Do Americans not understand "convenience"?

--
63% of men have had sex in the shower.
The other 37% have never been to prison.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 16:32:59 -0000, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 7:53:30 AM UTC-6, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 08:20:41 -0000, Bod wrote:

Our letterboxes on our houses have a flap that shuts automatically as
soon as the letters go through the flap.

A spring is far too complicated a device for an American to understand. Stop making fun of them!
--

Years ago, I had a brass mail slot with a flap installed in the door of my business. It used a very complicated system to close the flap that my Limey cousins have yet to comprehend. It's called gravity and it worked every time.
ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

Too many have strong springs on the inner flap, which means you try to push the letter through and it pushes it back out! The outside flap should be sprung to prevent the wind flapping it, the inside should be gravity controlled.

--
Dopeler effect (n): The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19/02/2017 16:32, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 7:53:30 AM UTC-6, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 08:20:41 -0000, Bod wrote:

Our letterboxes on our houses have a flap that shuts automatically as
soon as the letters go through the flap.

A spring is far too complicated a device for an American to understand. Stop making fun of them!
--

Years ago, I had a brass mail slot with a flap installed in the door of my business. It used a very complicated system to close the flap that my Limey cousins have yet to comprehend. It's called gravity and it worked every time.
ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Complicated Monster

Without a spring the letterbox can rattle and also not seal properly.

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 16:45:41 -0000, Bod wrote:

On 19/02/2017 16:32, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 7:53:30 AM UTC-6, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 08:20:41 -0000, Bod wrote:

Our letterboxes on our houses have a flap that shuts automatically as
soon as the letters go through the flap.

A spring is far too complicated a device for an American to understand. Stop making fun of them!
--

Years ago, I had a brass mail slot with a flap installed in the door of my business. It used a very complicated system to close the flap that my Limey cousins have yet to comprehend. It's called gravity and it worked every time.
ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Complicated Monster

Without a spring the letterbox can rattle and also not seal properly.

Council estates use sellotape.

--
I find it ironic that the colours red, white, and blue stand for freedom, until they're flashing behind you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 11:40:34 AM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 16:32:59 -0000, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 7:53:30 AM UTC-6, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 08:20:41 -0000, Bod wrote:

Our letterboxes on our houses have a flap that shuts automatically as
soon as the letters go through the flap.

A spring is far too complicated a device for an American to understand.. Stop making fun of them!
--

Years ago, I had a brass mail slot with a flap installed in the door of my business. It used a very complicated system to close the flap that my Limey cousins have yet to comprehend. It's called gravity and it worked every time.
ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

Too many have strong springs on the inner flap, which means you try to push the letter through and it pushes it back out!

Frigging idiot. Too many? How do you know that? Oh, wait. You already said
that everyone who forgets to check their mail has told you that, so I guess
everyone with an internal spring has told you about their problems too.

Don't you guys have anything else to talk about besides all of your mail
related problems? Forgetting to check it, mail that flies back out of the
slot, etc. Jeez, get a life!

The outside flap should be sprung to prevent the wind flapping it, the inside should be gravity controlled.

Frigging idiot. Have you ever heard of a storm door? Oh, never mind. You can't
afford one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 10:40:34 AM UTC-6, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
[...]

I liked it when the wind caused the brass flap to flap. It was my storm alarm which was my signal to check my vehicle windows and look skyward to see just how ugly the weather was about to get. I've seen the wind from a thunderstorm take down a brick wall. Around here, there are sometimes straight line winds that are more destructive than a tornado. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Brass Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 17:17:31 -0000, Uncle Monster wrote:

[...]

No wind here has done anything more than a flimsy fence being damaged.

--
Two cowboys are riding along a trail in the mountains when they suddenly hear tom toms beating very close to them.
"Oh! That doesn't sound good," one says to the other.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Unless you live in the city, your mail carrier never gets out of the
truck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 17:24:07 -0000, wrote:

[...]

Incorrect in the UK. Ours actually work for their pay and walk to each door.

--
Doctor: "Ask the accident victim his name so we can notify his family."
Nurse: "I did! He said his family already knows his name."
Posted to alt.home.repair

James Wilkinson Sword wrote: "No, you just need to have no more than one hole. Two holes (on different sides of the building) means a through passage of air. "

You just love to refute everything I
say, don't you? Fact of the matter
is, heat's propensity is to RISE.

25 years ago, we replaced all the
windows with thermopanes, and
blew insulation into the exterior
walls. Guess what: the house
felt COLDER in winter than before
we did all that. Why? because we
neglected to consider the ATTIC
FLOOR. It's called the stack effect.
Drafts under first floor doors
INCREASED.

So we beefed up the attic insulation,
and weather stripped the edges
of the attic hatch. Drastically reduced
the stack affect, and upstairs bed
rooms stayed much warmer in winter,
even over night with the thermostat
setback program.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote: " all the time? I think not. While
the mail flap is less "leaky" than an open window, it's still an
opening that reduces the R value of the door.

BTW if simply opening your attic stairs causes heat to "blast" into
the attic, you may need to improve the insulation for the opening. "

My attic stair swings UP toward the
opening, and is closed-foam weather
stripped by me. Plus I have 1/2"
styrafoam on the top side of the panel,
beneath the steps, shiny side down.

A lot tighter than you might think. We
might add the foam dome you mentioned.
Thanks for mentioning it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 01:50:25 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 21:23:17 -0000, wrote:

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 20:55:59 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

The British lion seems to have turned into a sheep, just grazing in
the grass.

Do you know how much more land is required to produce meat?

Good thing we have plenty I guess

No point in wasting it. You could use it for something else.

Konzentrationslager?

Good idea.

--
"Th on my k yboard has stopp d working"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 10:45:45 AM UTC-6, Bod wrote:
On 19/02/2017 16:32, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 7:53:30 AM UTC-6, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 08:20:41 -0000, Bod wrote:

Our letterboxes on our houses have a flap that shuts automatically as
soon as the letters go through the flap.

A spring is far too complicated a device for an American to understand.. Stop making fun of them!
--

Years ago, I had a brass mail slot with a flap installed in the door of my business. It used a very complicated system to close the flap that my Limey cousins have yet to comprehend. It's called gravity and it worked every time.
ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Complicated Monster

Without a spring the letterbox can rattle and also not seal properly.
---

My mail slot flap was my storm alarm. It was on the entrance door to the offices attached to the warehouse me and my brother had our business in. The old building stayed surprisingly warm in winter because the red clay block the walls were made of had quite a bit of air space inside them. We had to move when the property was sold and all the buildings along the whole half block on that side of the street were demolished. I miss the old place because it was 4,000 square feet of floor space with a loft over the offices. The building was 1.5 stories tall and open space on the inside. The building had been home to many businesses during its 80 year life. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Flap Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 01:52:36 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 17:36:33 -0000, wrote:

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 17:16:40 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

It's all fun and games until someone gets killed, which is 100 times
more likely in your backwards country.

The Americas are not for wimps.

You don't see the problem with killing each other?

Survival of the fittest. Considering the demographics of who is killing
whom, it might improve the gene pool.

Fittest and most accurate with a gun are not the same thing.

--
"Th on my k yboard has stopp d working"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 01:54:23 -0000, rbowman wrote:

America must have a lot of bad guys then.

Chicago, Baltimore, West Memphis, Cleveland, Detroit, South Central...

What EVERYONE in there?

--
It has recently been discovered that research causes cancer in rats.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 01:56:28 -0000, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 15:55:39 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

See how dense this brit is? I can be smokin' dead animals low and
slow on the smoker while the mail person delivers the mail. Beats
driving to a post office. I can even eat the dead meat before I check
the mail. Now wonder the former British Empire is in ruins. The brits
caused their on ruination.

Eating real food is so much easier.

--
It has recently been discovered that research causes cancer in rats.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 17:28:47 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 17:24:07 -0000, wrote:

Unless you live in the city, your mail carrier never gets out of the
truck.

Incorrect in the UK. Ours actually work for their pay and walk to each door.

I guess that is because your doors are just a few meters apart. Around
here it is more like 50-60 meters each. When I walk an association
paper around my little neighborhood, it takes about 4-5 hours to hit
100 doors. This is not even that rural. There are places right up the
road (same postal route) where the houses are 200 meters from the
road., A little farther east the houses may be a KM apart.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 12:37:11 PM UTC-5, wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote: " all the time? I think not. While
the mail flap is less "leaky" than an open window, it's still an
opening that reduces the R value of the door.

BTW if simply opening your attic stairs causes heat to "blast" into
the attic, you may need to improve the insulation for the opening. "

My attic stair swings UP toward the
opening,

Color me confused. Attic stairs "swing" two ways.

They typically swing down (away from the opening) to open and up (towards
the opening) to close.

Unless I'm missing something, telling me that yours "swings UP toward the
opening" doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary, assuming that you
mean "when closing".

and is closed-foam weather
stripped by me. Plus I have 1/2"
styrafoam on the top side of the panel,
beneath the steps, shiny side down.

My stairs are mounted to 1 x 4 slats which are mounted to the panel. Covering
the entire panel with foam would be impossible. The 1 x 4 slats have a much
lower R-value than the foam used for the box, so all of that area is basically
not insulated.

The box above the stairs fully insulates the entire opening with 1" of foam.
I highly recommend it.

A lot tighter than you might think. We
might add the foam dome you mentioned.
Thanks for mentioning it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 12:24:30 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Well, not exactly. It's not just city vs. rural. There is an in-between.

I don't live within the city borders. I live in a town with roughly 25K
houses. Very, very few have mailboxes accessible from the road. Most have
mailboxes mounted outside the front door. Some of the newer tracts within
the town have street side mailboxes, but that is a small number compared
to the rest of the town.

I do my carrier a favor by snow blowing a path across the front of my house
so she has a clear path from my neighbor's door to mine. Saves her trudging
through deep snow or walking back and forth from the street. It may be a nit
in her overall walking, but she's thanked me for it as did the previous,
now retired, carrier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A lot of it comes via the postman. The postmen here don't bother
putting it through unless they're at the door for normal post anyway.
Not sure if that's what they're meant to be doing....

The sender has paid to have the mail delivered, junk or not. Your
postmen are shirking their duty.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It's all fun and games until someone gets killed, which is 100 times
more likely in your backwards country.

The Americas are not for wimps.

You don't see the problem with killing each other?

Survival of the fittest. Considering the demographics of who is killing
whom, it might improve the gene pool.

Fittest and most accurate with a gun are not the same thing.

Surviving to reproduce is the only criteria. The West fails to
understand that basic concept. Little side projects like inventing
driverless cars mean nothing in the long run if you cannot conserve the
genetic heritage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 1:29:29 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
A lot of it comes via the postman. The postmen here don't bother
putting it through unless they're at the door for normal post anyway.
Not sure if that's what they're meant to be doing....

The sender has paid to have the mail delivered, junk or not. Your
postmen are shirking their duty.

Someone needs to fix this USPS website.

Many times the "most important" item in a list is made to standout from
the rest (bold, font size, etc.). At a minimum, it should not be
subordinate to the less important items on the list. ;-)

https://about.usps.com/who-we-are/po...gs-to-know.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19/02/2017 17:17, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Didn't the rain get in the flap when the wind drives the rain into the
flapping flap?

---
http://www.avg.com