Posted to alt.home.repair
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] is offline

Default American mailboxes

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 16:32:59 -0000, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 7:53:30 AM UTC-6, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 08:20:41 -0000, Bod wrote:

Our letterboxes on our houses have a flap that shuts automatically as
soon as the letters go through the flap.

A spring is far too complicated a device for an American to understand. Stop making fun of them!
--

Years ago, I had a brass mail slot with a flap installed in the door of my business. It used a very complicated system to close the flap that my Limey cousins have yet to comprehend. It's called gravity and it worked every time.

Too many have strong springs on the inner flap, which means you try to push the letter through and it pushes it back out! The outside flap should be sprung to prevent the wind flapping it, the inside should be gravity controlled.

--
Dopeler effect (n): The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.