Don Foreman

Default Fortress mailboxes

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 19:04:03 GMT, Ignoramus5275
wrote:

I have been reading about fortress mailboxes (a topic raised here). A
couple of conclusions:

1. At least in some places, and possibly but not necessarily, near
highways, fortress mailboxes may be illegal. Call your building and
zoning department to find out.

2. I doubt the morality of installing a fortress mailbox (but I am not
certain). Two cases come to mind:

- a few years ago, near my old house, a car swerved off a road due to
ice and was almost buried in a huge pile of snow in my yard. The
teenager in it was very apologetic and I dragged his car out with my
pickup. He did not have any ill intention, he was simply an
inexperienced driver on an icy road.

- Last year, same thing happened in my new house, very near my
mailbox. Some bad young driver hit a big pile of snow that I made,
stopping inches away from my mailbox. That was during a sunny day with
me in my yard. Surely it was not intentional. I would rather have him
knock my mailbox down than suffer any meaningful damage. Especially
since he was my neighbor.

Unless I had a repeating problem with mailbox vandalism, I would
definitely not install a fortress mailbox.

If I had such a problem, I would keep a wimpy breakable mailbox, but
would perhaps make the first 8-12" or so off the ground to be made of
something very strong, like a large I beam or some such, to damage the
vehicle, but not the occupant. Around that, I would install a fake
fortress made of plastic that looks like bricks (sold as room decor at
Home Depot), to make the mailbox an unattractive target.

If some vandal hits your mailbox, dies, and you lose thousands in
court, you are not a winner in the situation. If an unfortunate driver
dies, there would be a moral guilt element in addition to the court
judgment.

Yes, by all means strive for "bad driver friendly".

Yet, while declaiming responsibility and morality, you still seek to
deceive with a car-gutting lower support and/or fake plastic bricks.

There is certainly nothing irresponsible, deceptive or immoral about
making a mailbox and post that look strong because they are strong.
It is no more a public hazard than a tree.
jim rozen

In article , Don Foreman says...

Yet, while declaiming responsibility and morality, you still seek to
deceive with a car-gutting lower support and/or fake plastic bricks.

And where did *this* topic pop up from? Somebody's been reading the
archived posts, sounds like.

Jim

please reply to:
Nick Hull

In article ,
Don Foreman wrote:

There is certainly nothing irresponsible, deceptive or immoral about
making a mailbox and post that look strong because they are strong.
It is no more a public hazard than a tree.

Maybe that's the answer; carve your mailbox out of a chunk of 24" dia
oak tree, buried many feet. It looks like a tree, acts like a tree.
Anyone dumb enough to ram a tree deserves what my daughter got when she
totaled my car on a roadside tree. The tree survived.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
william_b_noble

I've never been a mailbox vandal, and I've always lived in urban areas where
such actions aren't really possible, but it seems to me that mounting the
mailbox on a large spring (coil spring from a truck, for example) would make
it pretty hard to knock down, but would allow it to yeild to a vehicle.

"Ignoramus5275" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 14:30:38 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:
On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 19:04:03 GMT, Ignoramus5275
wrote:

If installing fortress mailboxes is illegal, then it is just plainly
stupid to install a fortress mailbox. You can complain about laws all
you want, but violating this law would be quite unintelligent for
obvious reasons: if the mailbox is not hit, you wasted money, and if
it is hit, you lose a lawsuit and lose even more money.

Installing fortress mailboxes is illegal in many towns.

Where it is not illegal, I certainly would not do it if my mailbox was
not repeatedly vandalized. If it was repeatedly vandalized, I would do
something that would preferably not kill the vandal.