Posted to alt.home.repair

Default American mailboxes

On Mon, 27 Feb 2017 06:10:37 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On Mon, 27 Feb 2017 01:09:30 -0000, wrote:

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 20:18:26 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017 20:01:14 -0000, rbowman
wrote:

What, you don't have a sense of adventure, Timorous Twit?

Why do equate adventure with death?

To Americans real adventure is cheating death.

Easiest way to cheat death is to remove all sources of it, like bears.

https://historylist.wordpress.com/20...ed-by-animals/

Dogs. Be afraid. Be very afraid. Your neighbor's Papillon will tear your
balls off as he heads for your carotid.

Bull****. Very easy to outsmart a dog.

Not in your case.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Feb 2017 06:19:04 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/26/2017 10:20 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 27 Feb 2017 02:06:50 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

That is why virtually all extreme sports come from here.

Most extreme sports are not cheating death, they are using
technology for thrills.

I suppose you have not looked at extreme skiers, sky divers and some
of the crazy stuff people do on mountain bikes.

I asked a guy who was doing an extreme motorcycle stunt exhibition what
the learning process was. You can work your way up to wheelies,
stoppies, and stuff like that. but there isn't such a thing as a front
flip that almost worked:

http://scribol.com/extreme-sports/10...stunts-ever/4/

Broken bones, he said, lots of broken bones. Having broken collar bones,
ribs, and legs myself, I don't think I'd go out of my way to do so.
Particularly the ribs. That's the gift that keeps on giving for months.

My friend is a mountain biker. AFAIK he's never broken anything, but
he's bloody good at it.

He's also lucky. **** happens.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Feb 2017 20:30:50 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 02/27/2017 04:25 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 27 Feb 2017 22:19:44 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

My friend is a mountain biker. AFAIK he's never broken anything, but he's bloody good at it.

Are you talking about just riding bikes in the mountains or out there
getting big air with spins and flips 15 meters off the ground?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPJ4Nbf3ctQ

Catch big air on the White Line and they'll pour what's left into a body
bag.

The first time I was really aware of this was on the mountain at
Mammoth Ca. Those boys are just nuts and the people put extra ramps
and obstacles because a ski slope is just not dangerous enough.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 27/02/2017 23:15, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Monday, February 27, 2017 at 3:09:57 PM UTC-6, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

I simply do not believe a deer is dangerous.
--

The danger from deer is not that one will normally attack you, it's the fact that a deer will often leap in front of a speeding automobile and come through the the windshield or cause a vehicle to go off the road. The mommy deerest have yet to teach the little deers to look both ways before crossing the road. So the big deers don't know any better and will hang out around roads and highways. It's most dangerous at night when Bambi might decide to take a stroll on a highway. I've seen deer in people's yards right next to the highway at night where I was traveling at 60mph. I could see the deer and the deer could see me coming but the most dangerous scenario is when the trees are close to a road. Deer can move quite fast and can come out of the trees and be in front of a speeding vehicle before a driver can react. Deer kill. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Dear Monster

We even get deer roaming around in our gardens at night.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 09:26:44 -0000, Bod wrote:

[...]

Do they not eat the flowers?

--
In the UK, 90% of things are prohibited. The other 10% are compulsory.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default CAUTION: the Pathological Attention Whore "Strikes", again! BG

On 2/13/2017 2:34 PM, The Peeler wrote:
On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 22:19:39 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

I was just watching an American film and thought,

Ah, there's the snag again, idiot!

Indeed, so many folks just sit and watch as life goes by.
Others, like me, live it fiercely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 15:45:32 -0000, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 09:21:56 -0000, Bod wrote:

On 27/02/2017 21:53, wrote:
On Mon, 27 Feb 2017 21:09:54 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

The most dangerous animal in the US is the white tailed deer They kill
more people than bears, alligators, mountain lions and wolves
combined.

I simply do not believe a deer is dangerous.

I guess you never had one jump out in front of your car.
125-150 people a year die from it.

James is lying. He once hit a deer whilst travelling at 95mph.

Several cars have hit deer or have crashed trying to avoid them on our
estate alone.

And unlike some idiots, I didn't swerve into a tree or oncoming
traffic. I catapulted it over the car, and didn't even feel it. If
something is in your path, either crash into it or brake hard, but never
ever swerve.

You actually make a good point. Many drivers have no idea how to handle
a swerve at high speed and get into worse trouble. Or you may hit
another car and cause them trouble too.

Indeed, no point in swerving into the unknown.

A guy at work hit a deer at 70 mph. Took about 3 weeks and $10,000 to
get his car back, Audi A7 with aluminum hood.

I was going faster than that. I just needed a bonnet, headlight, and mirror, which I fitted myself. Cost me about £50 for the lot. What did your colleague do, hit an entire herd?!

--
If you think people aren't creative, watch them try to re-fold a roadmap..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 10:45:32 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If
something is in your path, either crash into it or brake hard, but never
ever swerve.

You actually make a good point. Many drivers have no idea how to handle
a swerve at high speed and get into worse trouble. Or you may hit
another car and cause them trouble too.

We just have a population of incompetent drivers and so does Willy
Sword I hear.
Drivers ed should go farther than simply how to parallel park.
In my million or so miles behind the wheel, I have "swerved" out of
multi car accidents several times. Everyone should have at least some
training on how to handle skids and high speed lane changes even if
that lane is the dirt. I took a 2 week course decades ago when I
thought I was an SCCA racer and it still serves me today.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 15:54:24 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

I was going faster than that. I just needed a bonnet, headlight, and mirror, which I fitted myself. Cost me about £50 for the lot. What did your colleague do, hit an entire herd?!

A lot depends on how low your car is and what the shape of the bonnet
(hood) is. I had a friend hit a deer in one of those little Chrysler
cars and all that happened was he broke the radio antenna. The car was
low enough to get under the deer. If you hit that sucker right in the
middle of the body, there is no way to get under it and the deer is
going to smash up the car.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The most dangerous animal in the US is the white tailed deer They kill
more people than bears, alligators, mountain lions and wolves
combined.

I simply do not believe a deer is dangerous.

I guess you never had one jump out in front of your car.
125-150 people a year die from it.

James is lying. He once hit a deer whilst travelling at 95mph.

Several cars have hit deer or have crashed trying to avoid them on our
estate alone.

And unlike some idiots, I didn't swerve into a tree or oncoming traffic. I catapulted it over the car, and didn't even feel it. If something is in your path, either crash into it or brake hard, but never ever swerve.

Frigging idiot. There is rarely - if ever - a circumstance where "never ever" applies.

Last Sunday I came upon a huge pothole "in my path". There was a car in the oncoming lane so I
swerved right and used the shoulder to avoid the pothole. As soon as I came back into the lane,
there was an even bigger pothole. This time there was no oncoming traffic so I swerved over the center line to avoid it. There wasn't enough room on the right to avoid it.

Later that evening my sister avoided the first pothole but wasn't prepared for the second. I can't
blame her, it was dark. She hit the pothole, blowing out her tire and bending the rim.

The next morning I was the "oncoming traffic" and knowing the location of the pothole I hugged
the right shoulder because I knew people would want to swerve to avoid it. Sure enough,
because I gave them room, 2 cars were able to swerve over the center line and avoid the hole.

My sister called 911 the night she hit it and told them that they needed to mark the hole. It
wasn't marked the next morning so I called 911 and was told that they would "send someone to
check it out again". I find it hard to believe that someone looked at it the might before and chose
not to mark it. There was no way to avoid it by staying in the lane, making it a very dangerous
situation. Most cars would bottom out if they hit the deepest part of the hole.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 11:37:10 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 10:45:32 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If
something is in your path, either crash into it or brake hard, but never
ever swerve.

You actually make a good point. Many drivers have no idea how to handle
a swerve at high speed and get into worse trouble. Or you may hit
another car and cause them trouble too.

We just have a population of incompetent drivers and so does Willy
Sword I hear.
Drivers ed should go farther than simply how to parallel park.
In my million or so miles behind the wheel, I have "swerved" out of
multi car accidents several times. Everyone should have at least some
training on how to handle skids and high speed lane changes even if
that lane is the dirt. I took a 2 week course decades ago when I
thought I was an SCCA racer and it still serves me today.

When I was in boot camp for the USCG we took a 1 week drivers ed course put on by the
California Highway Patrol. We used a large parking lot with lanes laid out with cones, stop
signs, etc.

They had instructors that would run the stop signs, they flooded the course with fire hoses,
they tossed many a distraction at us. It was a hell of a lot of fun and very enlightening.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sword wrote:

[...]

One particular plant, yes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 08:56:31 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

They didn't have anything like that at Cape May. What year was that?
The closest we got was a 26' Monomoy surf boat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Actually, it was at Cape May. Late March/Early April 1975. Winter boot
camp at Cape May. What could be better? ;-)

They extended our 10 week boot camp by 1 week for the driving course.
I think I recall that we were the first class, but I don't recall if we
were the last/only. I also recall getting yelled at by the guy on the tower
for driving like a maniac. I believe it was something like "Leave that stuff
to us." Hey, I learned to drive in NYC. I don't think I was doing anything
out of the ordinary. ;-)

I remember one kid who had passed his road test the week before boot camp.
He panicked at one point during the driving course and hit the gas instead
of the brake. The lot we were in had bleachers on one side and a wooden
observation tower on the other. Luckily he was pointed towards one of the
open ends because he drove the car right off the pavement into the weeds.

I just pulled up a satellite view of USCG TraCen Cape May. I know it's been
a long time and many things may have changed, but if I had to take a guess
I'd say we were in that double lot that Harbor Patrol Rd cuts through or maybe it was that concrete lot just to the west of that area. That concrete patch
sure looks old enough.

https://goo.gl/maps/PNVACs7Jbm32
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 15:56:51 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 3:28:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:

They didn't have anything like that at Cape May. What year was that?
The closest we got was a 26' Monomoy surf boat.

Actually, it was at Cape May. Late March/Early April 1975. Winter boot
camp at Cape May. What could be better? ;-)

They extended our 10 week boot camp by 1 week for the driving course.

I was there a decade before you (Golf 57). It was 12 weeks then.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 3:28:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:

They didn't have anything like that at Cape May. What year was that?
The closest we got was a 26' Monomoy surf boat.

Actually, it was at Cape May. Late March/Early April 1975. Winter boot
camp at Cape May. What could be better? ;-)

They extended our 10 week boot camp by 1 week for the driving course.

I was there a decade before you (Golf 57). It was 12 weeks then.

I guess it took you guys 2 weeks longer to learn stuff than it took us. ;-)

I was a LORAN-C Technician in Sylt, Germany and Port Clarence, AK.

Finished up as LORAN instructor at TraCen Governor's Island.

You?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 16:51:42 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I was there a decade before you (Golf 57). It was 12 weeks then.

I guess it took you guys 2 weeks longer to learn stuff than it took us. ;-)

I was a LORAN-C Technician in Sylt, Germany and Port Clarence, AK.

Finished up as LORAN instructor at TraCen Governor's Island.

You?

I think they just had 2 more weeks of stuff they taught us. Did you
get a week on the range? Week on the surf boats? I imagine you did
fire fighting week and the other sailor stuff. Did you get Morse code
(flashing light)? We dabbled with semaphore but not enough to get good
at it.

I was an FT, keeping the godless communists out of the Chesapeake Bay.
I was on a "weather cutter" patrolling the Atlantic but we were really
more of a SONAR platform than a weather station. They had satellites
by then but SOSUS was in it's infancy. As an FT in the CG, I was
really more of a Gunner's Mate with a minor in torpedoes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was there a decade before you (Golf 57). It was 12 weeks then.

I guess it took you guys 2 weeks longer to learn stuff than it took us. ;-)

I was a LORAN-C Technician in Sylt, Germany and Port Clarence, AK.

Finished up as LORAN instructor at TraCen Governor's Island.

You?

I think they just had 2 more weeks of stuff they taught us. Did you
get a week on the range? Week on the surf boats? I imagine you did
fire fighting week and the other sailor stuff. Did you get Morse code
(flashing light)? We dabbled with semaphore but not enough to get good
at it.

Did the Morse code and touched on semaphore. I don't recall how much boat stuff
we did but it sure wasn't a full week's worth. Of course, it was winter. The range, the
fire fighting, etc. was all included in the vacation package.

I was an FT, keeping the godless communists out of the Chesapeake Bay.
I was on a "weather cutter" patrolling the Atlantic but we were really
more of a SONAR platform than a weather station. They had satellites
by then but SOSUS was in it's infancy. As an FT in the CG, I was
really more of a Gunner's Mate with a minor in torpedoes.

The year I spent in AK was mostly spent in the transmitter building at the base
of the 1/4 mile tall tower. The fire training came into play when lightening hit the
tower and the transmitter coupler caught on fire. While the chief was running around
yelling "Everybody get out." (all 3 of us) my buddy and I calmly grabbed the fire
extinguishers, carried them back to the coupler and put the fire out. Heck, it was
going to be us that were going to have to rebuild anything that got damaged (coupler,
transmitters, etc.) so we weren't about to just let the fire burn stuff up. While the chief
was scolding us for not leaving the building, my XO was writing the commendation letter
for saving the equipment from further damage.

Here is the current status of that tower:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u92YYdy6Lak
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 3:28:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:

They didn't have anything like that at Cape May. What year was that?
The closest we got was a 26' Monomoy surf boat.

Actually, it was at Cape May. Late March/Early April 1975. Winter boot
camp at Cape May. What could be better? ;-)

They extended our 10 week boot camp by 1 week for the driving course.

I was there a decade before you (Golf 57). It was 12 weeks then.

I guess it took you guys 2 weeks longer to learn stuff than it took us. ;-)

I was a LORAN-C Technician in Sylt, Germany and Port Clarence, AK.

Finished up as LORAN instructor at TraCen Governor's Island.

You?

Do you think it was a mistake to shut down the LORAN systems? There is a concern of GPS being jammed during wartime or the satellites being knocked out. I know most countries have agreed not to militarize space but enemies have been known to lie. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Orbiting Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 19:38:47 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote:

Do you think it was a mistake to shut down the LORAN systems? There is a concern of GPS being jammed during wartime or the satellites being knocked out. I know most countries have agreed not to militarize space but enemies have been known to lie. ?(?)?

I tend to agree Loran was a hood backup system but it was just too
expensive and not particularly accurate compared to full resolution
GPS. It is fine for finding Tahiti but I am not sure I would want to
use it to find my crab pots.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Do you think it was a mistake to shut down the LORAN systems? There is a concern of GPS being jammed during wartime or the satellites being knocked out. I know most countries have agreed not to militarize space but enemies have been known to lie. ?(?)?

I tend to agree Loran was a hood backup system but it was just too
expensive and not particularly accurate compared to full resolution
GPS. It is fine for finding Tahiti but I am not sure I would want to
use it to find my crab pots.

LORAN-C was accurate to as little as .1 miles in some cases, .25 miles
in most. Sure, that ain't GPS accurate, but it's not bad for some beat up
old vacuum tube transmitters and timing equipment.

Actually, I never worked on the vacuum tube timers. They were installing
the solid state version in Sylt while I was training on it in NYC. When I
got to Germany I helped finish the install and get the new SS timers on line.
I did however spend 3 years working on the vacuum tube transmitters. I did
get to smell the solid state version of the transmitters when I became a
instructor, but I trained folks on the solid state timers and tube
transmitters. The solid state transmitters were just beginning to be
deployed.

My favorite trick was to pull the fuse out the O-scope, especially for
the "senior" ET's who thought they knew everything. One of the first
troubleshooting steps for a broken timer was to use a trigger signal
from one of the boards in the timer to display a trigger pulse on the
scope. The timer itself couldn't do anything useful without a good trigger
signal, so when these smart-ass techs couldn't get a trigger signal on
the scope, they'd proudly announce that they had solved the problem. "It's
bad trigger board in the timer." I'd give them a new trigger board, they'd
replace it and try again. Still no signal on the scope. That's when the
head scratching would start. Eventually I'd remind them that a good tech
always makes sure that their test equipment is working before they start
troubleshooting. You'd think they'd have noticed that the little red power
light on the scope wasn't lit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Parts of Europe kept their LORAN going for a few years after the USCG and CCG
gave up on it for the very reasons you state. In fact, the Sylt Germany
station that I started at was the first of the last to be shut down on
December 31, 2015. You can watch the end as it occurred he

http://www.pa3fwm.nl/signals/loran-2015/

Ah, the nude beaches, the casinos, the young Fräuleins so enamored with
the funny Americans. A year of frolicking in the sand and bars on a resort
island, paid for with a year of isolated duty in the frozen tundra of Alaska.

From nary a stitch of clothing to absolutely no skin exposed.

If you haven't tried skiing off the roof of a building in seal-skin
slippers, with the hair still on the bottom (very slick!) you haven't
lived. Thank goodness for the padding provided by full artic gear.

Cousin Sun-Burned-Then-Snow-Bruised Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 21:05:47 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

My favorite trick was to pull the fuse out the O-scope, especially for
the "senior" ET's who thought they knew everything.

I can't believe anyone who works with a scope would ever do anything
before they did a quick calibration, at least getting the vertical
traces aligned to the grid in auto trigger.
OTOH the Tektronics scopes we had put a dot on the screen even if it
was not triggered.
You are right These guys were just too cocky
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

From nary a stitch of clothing to absolutely no skin exposed.

If you haven't tried skiing off the roof of a building in seal-skin
slippers, with the hair still on the bottom (very slick!) you haven't
lived. Thank goodness for the padding provided by full artic gear.

Cousin Sun-Burned-Then-Snow-Bruised Monster

I'd read about the German site being the last one running some time back but I'm wondering what secret thing the military has as a backup other than the inertial navigation systems or UFO technology from Area 51. Back in the 1980's when I worked out in The Marshall Islands at The Kwajalein Missile Range during the SDI development program, an unnamed official told me that the focus of the SDI program had shifted from a missile shield to protecting our satellites. Something I found quite interesting is the fact that the mission control center I helped build had a state of the art Cray XMP Super Computer to collect and process all the data in real time and there was also an atomic clock in its own room at the center to provide timing signals. Some years ago, I was amused to see that The University of Alabama in Huntsville had a Cray XMP "former" super computer that the university couldn't give away. It's amazing how fast super duper wiz bang technology becomes obsolete. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Obsolete Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/03/2017 09:01, Uncle Monster claimed ...

Back in the 1980's when I worked out in The Marshall Islands at The Kwajalein Missile Range during the SDI development program,

I could _swear_ that The Daring Dufas (TDD) told me exactly the same
thing! ;-)

Have a great day, UOM!

--
"Do something wonderful, people may imitate it." (Albert Schweitzer)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My favorite trick was to pull the fuse out the O-scope, especially for
the "senior" ET's who thought they knew everything.

I can't believe anyone who works with a scope would ever do anything
before they did a quick calibration, at least getting the vertical
traces aligned to the grid in auto trigger.
OTOH the Tektronics scopes we had put a dot on the screen even if it
was not triggered.
You are right These guys were just too cocky

All Timer Rooms, including the lab where I taught, had dedicated scopes in the rack.
Since all readings were taken with the trigger signal from timer, the scopes were always
in trigger mode with nothing on the display. Students never expected the lab test equipment
to be faulty since that wasn't what the course was about. That's what made the trick so much
fun.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 1, 2017 at 5:51:29 AM UTC-6, David B. wrote:
On 01/03/2017 09:01, Uncle Monster claimed ...

Back in the 1980's when I worked out in The Marshall Islands at The Kwajalein Missile Range during the SDI development program,

I could _swear_ that The Daring Dufas (TDD) told me exactly the same
thing! ;-)

Have a great day, UOM!
--

We both worked for the same contractor as electricians. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Sparky Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/03/2017 13:15, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Wednesday, March 1, 2017 at 5:51:29 AM UTC-6, David B. wrote:
On 01/03/2017 09:01, Uncle Monster claimed ...

Back in the 1980's when I worked out in The Marshall Islands at The Kwajalein Missile Range during the SDI development program,

I could _swear_ that The Daring Dufas (TDD) told me exactly the same
thing! ;-)

Have a great day, UOM!
--

We both worked for the same contractor as electricians. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Sparky Monster

Is that a 'wink' I see at the end of your sentence, USM?!!!

--
"Do something wonderful, people may imitate it." (Albert Schweitzer)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, March 1, 2017 at 8:14:52 AM UTC-6, David B. wrote:
On 01/03/2017 13:15, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Wednesday, March 1, 2017 at 5:51:29 AM UTC-6, David B. wrote:
On 01/03/2017 09:01, Uncle Monster claimed ...

Back in the 1980's when I worked out in The Marshall Islands at The Kwajalein Missile Range during the SDI development program,

I could _swear_ that The Daring Dufas (TDD) told me exactly the same
thing! ;-)

Have a great day, UOM!
--

We both worked for the same contractor as electricians. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Sparky Monster

Is that a 'wink' I see at the end of your sentence, USM?!!!
--

No, it's a crooked smile with arms up. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Expat Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote:

On Wednesday, March 1, 2017 at 5:51:29 AM UTC-6, David B. wrote:
On 01/03/2017 09:01, Uncle Monster claimed ...

Back in the 1980's when I worked out in The Marshall Islands at
The Kwajalein Missile Range during the SDI development program,

I could _swear_ that The Daring Dufas (TDD) told me exactly the
same thing! ;-)

Have a great day, UOM!
--

We both worked for the same contractor as electricians. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Sparky Monster

yea right.

I like fan boys, they're fun to frak with like I do with you burford Turd juicer. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Fraking Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My favorite trick was to pull the fuse out the O-scope, especially for
the "senior" ET's who thought they knew everything.

I can't believe anyone who works with a scope would ever do anything
before they did a quick calibration, at least getting the vertical
traces aligned to the grid in auto trigger.
OTOH the Tektronics scopes we had put a dot on the screen even if it
was not triggered.
You are right These guys were just too cocky

All Timer Rooms, including the lab where I taught, had dedicated scopes in the rack.
Since all readings were taken with the trigger signal from timer, the scopes were always
in trigger mode with nothing on the display. Students never expected the lab test equipment
to be faulty since that wasn't what the course was about. That's what made the trick so much
fun.

I guess we lived in the real world more than that. Even so, a scope
still should demonstrate more signs of life than simply triggering on
a signal. Your exercise should have been valuable to teach them to
step back and look at the problem a little farther away.
I spent the last 15 years of my career as a support specialist,
basically coming in when the regular guys were stumped and the first
question I always asked is "can you draw a circle around the problem"?
They might say "sure just draw a line around the whole computer room"
but I would ask "are you sure"?
In your case of the "bad" scope, if it was not inside their circle,
they were never going to fix this problem because they were not
considering it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote:

On Wednesday, March 1, 2017 at 5:51:29 AM UTC-6, David B. wrote:
On 01/03/2017 09:01, Uncle Monster claimed ...

Back in the 1980's when I worked out in The Marshall Islands
at The Kwajalein Missile Range during the SDI development
program,

I could _swear_ that The Daring Dufas (TDD) told me exactly the
same thing! ;-)

Have a great day, UOM!
--

We both worked for the same contractor as electricians. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Sparky Monster

yea right.

I like fan boys, they're fun to frak with like I do with you burford
Turd juicer. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Fraking Monster

weak...you could be trader's little bro.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote:

I like fan boys, they're fun to frak with like I do with you burford
Turd juicer. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Fraking Monster

weak...you could be trader's little bro.

You're really becoming more and more demented burford Turd juicer. I really do pity you. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Compassionate Monster