Posted to alt.home.repair

Default American mailboxes

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 00:06:24 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 22:12:56 -0000, Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 4:25:51 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson
Sword wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 21:11:33 -0000, Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 2:00:12 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson
Sword wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 18:48:42 -0000, Bod wrote:

On 19/02/2017 17:54, wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 17:28:47 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 17:24:07 -0000, wrote:

Unless you live in the city, your mail carrier never gets out
of the
truck.

Incorrect in the UK. Ours actually work for their pay and
walk to each door.

I guess that is because your doors are just a few meters apart.
Around
here it is more like 50-60 meters each. When I walk an association
paper around my little neighborhood, it takes about 4-5 hours
to hit
100 doors. This is not even that rural. There are places right
up the
road (same postal route) where the houses are 200 meters from the
road., A little farther east the houses may be a KM apart.

Many parts of Scotland/Cornwall/Devon etc are like that and they
all get
mail delivered through their letterboxes.

Then I can only assume US postmen are lazy ****s.

It's not the postmen.

We try to get the most mail delivered for the least money.
(Sorry your carrier wastes your money.)

The way to do that is to have them walk as few steps as possible.
Therefore, mailboxes are increasingly located at the side of the road
or centrally located within a subdivision.

So you're all paying a tiny amount of money but having to walk up and
down your drives all the time. And they told me America was rich.

It does no harm to walk down the drive. Mine is only 100 feet long.

Every single time you want to check the mail? You might be waiting for
something important. I know the instant it's here, I hear and see it
come into my house.

I'm sure you sit by the door of your council flat waiting for the
welfare cheque to arrive.

You're wrong on four counts.

--
He was so unlucky . . .
Last week, his inflatable doll ran off with his airbag.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/17 4:09 PM, Oren wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

Ahmed will take over the whole planet, because every civilised
country is too damn stupid to realise what's happening, they're all
too politically correct.

Maybe in your world. Have you counted the guns on my street? Come
****in' around this neighborhood. Start some **** and watch. Predators
pick on the weak. Look at what is happening in Europe, UK and other
pussyfied countries. A bunch of pansy assed bleeding heart do-gooders.

Spit.

We have our share in the U.S. How many citizens of New York
City are
armed? How about Chicago? The gangs might end up being the rescuers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/19/2017 01:18 PM, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
"The cat ****ed all over my mattress. I just sprayed the mattress with a can
of cheap Asda air freshener and it was fine".
(Peter Hucker aka James Wilkinson Sword etc, etc. etc)
Who has no hot running water in his stinking house.

I watched 'Hunger' directed by Steve McQueen this week. Our boy Peter
should watch it. He can get some home decorating ideas for the Dirty
Protest. Quite artistic they we

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/events/..._protests_maze
Posted to alt.home.repair

So you're all paying a tiny amount of money but having to walk up and
down your drives all the time. And they told me America was rich.

The silly part is the people paying good money to go to gyms to
workout.
They won't take the steps or park at the far corner of a business
parking lot.
Walking is a money saver compared to seeing a heart surgeon.
There was an advertisement for a gym years ago that bragged about their
front door parking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Frigging idiot. That's because you have no job and no life and all you
do is sit there in your smelly underwear scratching your gross ass waiting
for that all important piece of mail: Your welfare check.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 7:05:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote: "Color me confused. Attic stairs "swing" two ways.

They typically swing down (away from the opening) to open and up (towards
the opening) to close.

Unless I'm missing something, telling me that yours "swings UP toward the
opening" doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary, assuming that you
mean "when closing". "

What I was trying to clarify is that my attic hatch
does not open up into the attic. It swings down to
open, and up to close, assisted by large springs on
the sides.

Like I said, typical of most attic stairs that "swing". That's
why they call them "Pull Down Attic Stairs".

How would a hatch that opened up into the attic work?

I filed and planed down the stops around
the edges of the opening to ensure a tight seal
against the closed-foam weather strip around the
edge of the opening.

You also said you put 1/2" foam *under* the stairs. A valiant
effort, but if your stairs are like most, there was a lot of
area that you couldn't insulate.

Trust me, building a box from 1" rigid foam like I did
will accomplish everything your method did, and more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 17:02:18 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

I once ordered a small part (less than half an ounce), and had that
problem. It took a week for the wrong recipient to return it.

[snip]

They may have tried I received something that looked like a hospital
bill for someone I never heard of although the street address was
correct. I wrote 'wrong address' on it and through it in the outgoing
slot. The next day it came back. I crossed out the address with a red
pen reiterated the 'wrong address. return to sender'. Like the cat, it
came back. Next message was 'I've been at this address for 25 years and
that person has never lived here.' That seem to have done the trick.

I once wrote on a prisoner's mail "This inmate is dead" and sent it
back to the prison mail room. It was from his girlfriend. I guess
staff returned it to the sender. I didn't write "he was stabbed in
the jugular and died in minutes". It didn't come back the next day or
ever.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 16:35:19 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

It does no harm to walk down the drive. Mine is only 100 feet long.

Every single time you want to check the mail? You might be waiting for something important. I know the instant it's here, I hear and see it come into my house.

Frigging idiot. That's because you have no job and no life and all you
do is sit there in your smelly underwear scratching your gross ass waiting
for that all important piece of mail: Your welfare check.

....or the queer magazine. They sit on the edge of the chair in great
anticipation. constantly checking their watches. Brits are peculiar
individuals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 19:56:31 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

It's entirely composed of something which has been dead for a long time. That tends to mean nasty things grow in it.

We hear more about contaminated veggies than contaminated meat.
I do understand why meat is not attractive to you tho. I mean haggis
.... What the ****?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 21:25:43 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

So you're all paying a tiny amount of money but having to walk up and down your drives all the time. And they told me America was rich.

I have to go get the paper and walk the dog anyway. It is not really
that big a burden.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 22:34:43 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

It does no harm to walk down the drive. Mine is only 100 feet long.

Every single time you want to check the mail? You might be waiting for something important. I know the instant it's here, I hear and see it come into my house.

The carrier is here within 15 minutes of the same time just about
every day. I only look for the mail once a day unless I was just
walking by anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/19/2017 06:02 PM, rbowman wrote:

[snip]

They may have tried I received something that looked like a hospital
bill for someone I never heard of although the street address was
correct. I wrote 'wrong address' on it and through it in the outgoing
slot. The next day it came back. I crossed out the address with a red
pen reiterated the 'wrong address. return to sender'. Like the cat, it
came back. Next message was 'I've been at this address for 25 years and
that person has never lived here.' That seem to have done the trick.

Thar reminds me of when my father died. Then Moved (unrelated act). For
10 years I was getting mostly political) junk mail for him at an address
he NEVER lived at. I guess some information thief made a mistake.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"All religions are founded on the fear of the many and the cleverness of
the few." -- Marie Henri Beyle (Stendhal)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'm usually at work when the mail is delivered. On Saturdays, I'm usually
too busy to pay attention. At some point I notice the arrival flag is up,
and then I walk down the drive to the mailbox.

Nothing important comes in the mail. If it's important, it comes Federal
Express or via e-mail.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Why do important things come by FedEx?

--
HELP WANTED:
Baiters. Local fishing boats need 4 baiters to bate hooks for tourists. Must have strong hands and work hard. Good pay-$15 per hour, and benefits.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 17:24:07 -0000, wrote:

Unless you live in the city, your mail carrier never gets out of the
truck.

Incorrect in the UK. Ours actually work for their pay and walk to each door.

I guess that is because your doors are just a few meters apart. Around
here it is more like 50-60 meters each. When I walk an association
paper around my little neighborhood, it takes about 4-5 hours to hit
100 doors. This is not even that rural. There are places right up the
road (same postal route) where the houses are 200 meters from the
road., A little farther east the houses may be a KM apart.

Try running.

--
New Zealand Rugby Commentator - "Andrew Mehrtens loves it when Daryl Gibson comes inside of him."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 16:00:31 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

None of my family or anyone I know or knew, has ever eaten contaminated
meat that I know of.

Neither is a problem, it's just Mr Fretwell fretting about nothing.

So now you are agreeing meat is safe to eat. My job is done here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 16:28:38 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

Neither is a problem, it's just Mr Fretwell fretting about nothing.

I see.

Maybe he's a guitarist?

I am not sure about the name but you are closer to the source than me.
The family comes from the NE England, SE Scotland area. (about 180
years ago)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Because shipping by FedEx costs more. If it's important,
I specify FedEx delivery. Their package tracking is
much better.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Our Royal Mail has many options including insurance and tracking and different speeds. We only use other couriers to save money, as large/heavy parcels cost more by Royal Mail - they mainly use small vans geared up for letters and small packets.

--
The longest recorded flight of a chicken is thirteen seconds.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 19:11:18 -0000, Uncle Monster wrote:

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 9:39:00 AM UTC-6, Bod wrote:

wrote:

It's entirely composed of something which has been dead for a long
time. That tends to mean nasty things grow in it.

We hear more about contaminated veggies than contaminated meat.
I do understand why meat is not attractive to you tho. I mean haggis
... What the ****?

Haggis is the food of the devil ;-)

Agreed. And it's an animal with one leg longer than the other.

And contaminated veggies are not as bad for you as contaminated meat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 15:57:12 -0000, HerHusband wrote:

Around here that would be an invitation to mail theft. Flags up, checks
are in the box.

What part of the USA is this?

Southwest Washington State, out in a rural country area.

When we first moved here we had lots of problems with mailboxes being
destroyed with drive by baseball bats. I had to replace our box 5-6 times
the first few years. I also made a pull out area for the mail carrier and
moved the box off the road a ways. That seemed to help make it not so
convenient for the drivebys.

Thankfully, whoever was doing it grew up or was finally caught. We haven't
had an issue in over 20 years.

Which is why in the UK we don't have boxes at all.

--
Kindly consume faeces and expire.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 02:30:05 -0000, wrote:

On Sat, 18 Feb 2017 18:36:47 -0700, rbowman

You don't find it disgusting to put another animal inside you? You
don't know where it's been.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...lled-two-in-uk

Do you know where you salad has been?

Yes it is ironic that there is more fecal matter in vegetables than
there is in a steak. In fact the center of a piece of meat is pretty
clean.

When I put out meat for my cats, I often think one has crapped on the floor, because meat smells precisely like ****, decomposing matter. How the **** anyone can put that in their mouth is beyond me.

--
A daughter asked her mother how to spell penis, her mum said you should have asked me last night it was on the tip of my tongue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 17:30:45 -0000, wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote: "No, you just need to have no more than one hole. Two holes (on different sides of the building) means a through passage of air. "

You just love to refute everything I
say, don't you?

No, just pointing out a basic law of physics. Air cannot enter your home unless it can also leave. One hole, no problem. Two holes, through draught.

Fact of the matter
is, heat's propensity is to RISE.

25 years ago, we replaced all the
windows with thermopanes, and
blew insulation into the exterior
walls. Guess what: the house
felt COLDER in winter than before
we did all that. Why? because we
neglected to consider the ATTIC
FLOOR. It's called the stack effect.
Drafts under first floor doors
INCREASED.

So we beefed up the attic insulation,
and weather stripped the edges
of the attic hatch. Drastically reduced
the stack affect, and upstairs bed
rooms stayed much warmer in winter,
even over night with the thermostat
setback program.

--
Phone answering machine message: 'If you want to buy marijuana, press the hash key.'
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 17:30:45 -0000, wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote: "No, you just need to have no more than one hole. Two holes (on different sides of the building) means a through passage of air. "

You just love to refute everything I
say, don't you?

That would be difficult since this is the first time I've ever seen one of your posts.

P.S. snipping is considered troll-like behaviour. Don't.

--
The way to a man's heart is through the left ventricle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 18:44:13 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 01:54:23 -0000, rbowman wrote:

America must have a lot of bad guys then.

Chicago, Baltimore, West Memphis, Cleveland, Detroit, South Central...

What EVERYONE in there?

For South Central and Detroit, probably. The other large cities require
a native guide to inform you of the bad areas. The first time I was in
Chicago, the desk clerk at the hotel said "Enjoy your stay. Just don't
go south of Roosevelt Road."

Most whites in the very large US cities are like Syrian refugees; they
flee the war zones for greener pastures.

Wouldn't it be easier just to blow up the whole of the USA?

--
We used to mock the Americans' litigiousness, political correctness, health & safety obsessions and the like.
Now Britain is full of lazy lard buckets who'll sue for everything they can get if they even stub their toe on something.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 21:34:36 -0000, Sam E wrote:

[snip]

Why give yourself extra things to do? You pay the mail company to
deliver mail, then have to go fetch it yourself?!

Would you like them to read if for you, then recycle it for you too?

I once read a story where some people always kept their eyes closed
(even though they could see fine if they opened them). They paid
servants to do all their seeing for them, including reading their mail.

Childish absurdity.

--
A military pilot called for a priority landing because his single-engine jet fighter was running "a bit peaked."
Air Traffic Control told the fighter jock that he was number two, behind a B-52 that had one engine shut down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 21:39:01 -0000, Mark Lloyd wrote:

On 02/18/2017 07:36 PM, rbowman wrote:

You don't find it disgusting to put another animal inside you? You
don't know where it's been.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...lled-two-in-uk

Do you know where you salad has been?

I've seen a city family visiting an apple orchard. One of the kids
picks an apple and starts eating it. Her mother yells "Don't put that in
your mouth. You don't know where it's been."

Precisely. I eat natural food from plants.

--
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 21:44:31 -0000, Mark Lloyd wrote:

On 02/19/2017 08:23 AM, Paul wrote:

[snip]

All I get is junkmail so I've considered putting a mail slot on a trash
can.

A few times I found a $2 bill on junk mail (IIRC always from a "charity"
wanting more in return).

WTF? How can that possibly work?

--
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 21:56:25 -0000, Mark Lloyd wrote:

[snip]

No wind here has done anything more than a flimsy fence being damaged.

The only time I have experienced scary weather was with the tornado that
came through in 2015. Actually my first warning was seeing Softee
(normally an outside cat) inside.

I have 5 cats that come and go and spend a lot of time inside. And 1 which has very very long hair and consequently can't wash himself and gets leaves and go knows what else caught in there. Thankfully he isn't here often, when he is I can smell him. Next time I get a hold of him he's getting a shampoo followed by a severe trim.

--
The most effective way to remember your wife's birthday is to forget it once.