Posted to alt.home.repair
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] is offline

Default American mailboxes

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 18:25:43 -0000, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 10:13:50 AM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 11:51:05 -0000, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 5:34:50 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 22:12:56 -0000, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 4:25:51 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 21:11:33 -0000, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 2:00:12 PM UTC-5, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 18:48:42 -0000, Bod wrote:

On 19/02/2017 17:54, wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 17:28:47 -0000, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 17:24:07 -0000, wrote:

Unless you live in the city, your mail carrier never gets out of the
truck.

Incorrect in the UK. Ours actually work for their pay and walk to each door.

I guess that is because your doors are just a few meters apart. Around
here it is more like 50-60 meters each. When I walk an association
paper around my little neighborhood, it takes about 4-5 hours to hit
100 doors. This is not even that rural. There are places right up the
road (same postal route) where the houses are 200 meters from the
road., A little farther east the houses may be a KM apart.

Many parts of Scotland/Cornwall/Devon etc are like that and they all get
mail delivered through their letterboxes.

Then I can only assume US postmen are lazy ****s.

It's not the postmen.

We try to get the most mail delivered for the least money.
(Sorry your carrier wastes your money.)

The way to do that is to have them walk as few steps as possible.
Therefore, mailboxes are increasingly located at the side of the road
or centrally located within a subdivision.

So you're all paying a tiny amount of money but having to walk up and down your drives all the time. And they told me America was rich.

It does no harm to walk down the drive. Mine is only 100 feet long.

Every single time you want to check the mail? You might be waiting for something important. I know the instant it's here, I hear and see it come into my house.

I'm usually at work when the mail is delivered. On Saturdays, I'm usually
too busy to pay attention. At some point I notice the arrival flag is up,
and then I walk down the drive to the mailbox.

Nothing important comes in the mail. If it's important, it comes Federal
Express or via e-mail.

Why do important things come by FedEx?

Because shipping by FedEx costs more. If it's important,
I specify FedEx delivery. Their package tracking is
much better.

Our Royal Mail has many options including insurance and tracking and different speeds. We only use other couriers to save money, as large/heavy parcels cost more by Royal Mail - they mainly use small vans geared up for letters and small packets.

--
The longest recorded flight of a chicken is thirteen seconds.