Posted to alt.home.repair
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] is offline

Default American mailboxes

On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 20:45:45 -0000, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/17/2017 2:56 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:
On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 12:56:05 -0500, wrote:

If you are having a mailbox baseball problem, get {...] concrete
[...] concrete [...] concrete [...]
My neighbor did this in MD and totaled a corvette

Best to check your local highway codes first. Here, anything within a
certain distance of the centre-line is on the public right-of-way, and I
suspect there are rules in place against dangerous structures in order to
ensure safety of the motoring public as well as public employees.
(snow-removal, etc.)

Regardless of codes, if someone ends up dead because of something stupidly
dangerous your friend constructed, your friend can be sued. Also, whoever
owns the land can be sued. (i.e. state / municipality).

I could not find a definitive answer on liability but there have been
dumb kids injured from some mailboxes. I do know it is illegal to set
an intentional booby trap to injure someone.

My mailbox is by the street and yes, it is on town property. My
property line is about three feet back from the curb.

Anyone can be sued, of course. I don't know the odds of winning though.

If you're reinforcing it to prevent damage, that's not a booby trap.

--
A can of diet coke floats in water, but a can of regular coke sinks.