Posted to alt.home.repair

Default American mailboxes

On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 10:45:45 AM UTC-6, Bod wrote:
On 19/02/2017 16:32, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Sunday, February 19, 2017 at 7:53:30 AM UTC-6, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 08:20:41 -0000, Bod wrote:

Our letterboxes on our houses have a flap that shuts automatically as
soon as the letters go through the flap.

A spring is far too complicated a device for an American to understand.. Stop making fun of them!
--

Years ago, I had a brass mail slot with a flap installed in the door of my business. It used a very complicated system to close the flap that my Limey cousins have yet to comprehend. It's called gravity and it worked every time.

[8~{} Uncle Complicated Monster

Without a spring the letterbox can rattle and also not seal properly.
---

My mail slot flap was my storm alarm. It was on the entrance door to the offices attached to the warehouse me and my brother had our business in. The old building stayed surprisingly warm in winter because the red clay block the walls were made of had quite a bit of air space inside them. We had to move when the property was sold and all the buildings along the whole half block on that side of the street were demolished. I miss the old place because it was 4,000 square feet of floor space with a loft over the offices. The building was 1.5 stories tall and open space on the inside. The building had been home to many businesses during its 80 year life. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Flap Monster