Posted to alt.home.repair
Bod[_3_] Bod[_3_] is offline

Default American mailboxes

On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 15:57:12 -0000, HerHusband wrote:

Around here that would be an invitation to mail theft. Flags up, checks
are in the box.

What part of the USA is this?

Southwest Washington State, out in a rural country area.

When we first moved here we had lots of problems with mailboxes being
destroyed with drive by baseball bats. I had to replace our box 5-6
times
the first few years. I also made a pull out area for the mail carrier
and
moved the box off the road a ways. That seemed to help make it not so
convenient for the drivebys.

Thankfully, whoever was doing it grew up or was finally caught. We
haven't
had an issue in over 20 years.

Which is why in the UK we don't have boxes at all.

There's about 3 houses down our road that have mailboxes.