Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Idiot lights-out drivers

On 02/16/2016 03:21 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
I see ads on trucks stating they pay 50 cents/mile IIRC. I thought about it
and said 'that ain't much' with all the bullcrap they have to put up.
Especially when they are sitting in traffic alongside me going nowhere. I
really don't know how they handle it.

No, it isn't. Sitting in traffic is part of the game but it's sitting in
a truck stop waiting for your next load that's the killer. If you're not
moving, you're not making money. If you consider the hours in the week
when you're not free to do what you want, the hourly rate is well below
minimum.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 16/02/2016 21:25, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 18:20:29 -0000, Bod wrote:

On 16/02/2016 18:06, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 17:59:35 -0000, Bod wrote:

On 16/02/2016 17:30, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 17:23:13 -0000, Bod wrote:

On 16/02/2016 17:07, SeaNymph wrote:
On 2/16/2016 9:16 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/16/2016 05:58 AM, SeaNymph wrote:
On 2/15/2016 9:25 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/15/2016 12:31 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Like what? We share the same films and internet, that's
about it.

The whole world shares the internet. I watch a lot more
Swedish and
Danish movies than British. If I want to watch Wallander, I'll
go to
the
source.

We watch Wallander. Never heard of anyone else watching it, much
less
even knowing about it.

I like Mankell's books and the series is better than most US crime
dramas. That's the Swedish one with Krister Henriksson. I've never
seen
the BBC version.

I haven't read the books, I'll have to check them out.

Do you get one of our very popular programs called QI?
Up till last week Stephen Fry hosted it.

What happened last week? Don't tell me, he's been jailed along with
Harris....

He's had enough of presenting the program.

Is someone else taking over, because I can't see anyone else filling his
shoes.

I think it's Sandy Torsvig (spelling ?).

You're only watching QI because I reminded you of it. Thank me profusely.

I've watched QI every week for as many years as I can remember and still do.

--
Bod

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 17/02/2016 02:01, rbowman wrote:
On 02/16/2016 10:08 AM, Bod wrote:
On 16/02/2016 15:06, rbowman wrote:
On 02/16/2016 01:46 AM, Bod wrote:
We like each others music, you're even falling in love with our
football(soccer to you), a lot of English like to watch American
football, you're even starting to play more and more matches in England
and the stadiums are always a sellout. Americans love visiting our
country and vice versa.
Unless you've been living in a cave, you would know all this.

Yeah, we have you to thank for soccer moms. Great.

No one forced you.

Kicking a ball around the pasture comes naturally. Almost all cultures
have had some variation on the theme. Locally, Rugby and Australian
rules seem to be preferred.

Fortunately the quintessential British game, cricket, has been a no
sale. We prefer to bore ourselves to death with baseball. iirc in
Patrick Ryan's novel 'How I Won the War' when they wanted to string the
wogs out they would throw out a baited line 'That wouldn't be cricket'.
The poor, benighted natives would ask "What's cricket?" An endless
explanation would follow with the natives eventually wandering off,
having forgotten why they came.

Lol.

--
Bod

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 21:40:10 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 02/16/2016 03:21 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
I see ads on trucks stating they pay 50 cents/mile IIRC. I thought about it
and said 'that ain't much' with all the bullcrap they have to put up.
Especially when they are sitting in traffic alongside me going nowhere. I
really don't know how they handle it.

No, it isn't. Sitting in traffic is part of the game but it's sitting in
a truck stop waiting for your next load that's the killer. If you're not
moving, you're not making money. If you consider the hours in the week
when you're not free to do what you want, the hourly rate is well below
minimum.

Sitting in the cab in traffic is worse than sitting at the truckstop.
The truckstop os rest time - you can make that up in miles later.
Sitting in the cab is driving time - it's logged the same as if you
were doing a mile a minute down the highway and cannot be made up
later without fudging the logs.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 2/16/2016 6:32 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/16/2016 3:30 PM, sms wrote:

Just drove in the mountains this past weekend. Have to take a deep
breath. So many drivers don't know what "Slower Traffic Use Turnouts"
means. So many drivers constantly drifting across the double yellow
line. So many drivers constantly braking on steep winding roads rather
than driving in a lower gear and using engine braking on steep hills.

Lower gear? I bet 80% of the drivers have no idea they even have gears,
just D and R

I go down a long hill every day. I shift from 8th to 4th and maintain
the same safe speed. I see others constantly hitting the brakes. Some
never get off the pedal.

Two of our vehicles are hybrids. The lower gear is labeled "B". I
couldn't imagine what "B" stood for. It's "Braking."

I had a rental minivan once and I could not find the low gear. There was
no manual in the vehicle, and I later learned how to go into low and it
was convoluted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/16/2016 08:53 PM, Don Y wrote:
Yeah, but that's traveling between nowhere and nowhere else.
NYC, New Haven/Greenwich, Hartford, Springfield, Boston (or
the route through Providence) are sizeable places.

Somehow, I prefer nowhere and nowhere else
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/17/2016 7:48 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/16/2016 08:53 PM, Don Y wrote:
Yeah, but that's traveling between nowhere and nowhere else.
NYC, New Haven/Greenwich, Hartford, Springfield, Boston (or
the route through Providence) are sizeable places.

Somehow, I prefer nowhere and nowhere else

Yeah, but the food in those places is well below the "par"
offered in the locations I suggested! :

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/16/2016 09:38 PM, Muggles wrote:
We watch that show every week.

'Blue Bloods' is one of the few cop shows that is optimistic. Or something.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/17/2016 05:59 AM, wrote:
Sitting in the cab in traffic is worse than sitting at the truckstop.
The truckstop os rest time - you can make that up in miles later.
Sitting in the cab is driving time - it's logged the same as if you
were doing a mile a minute down the highway and cannot be made up
later without fudging the logs.

There was no electronic logging when I was driving so you just made up
the time and logged accordingly. I only ever had one cop question the
times and that was a bored yahoo that appeared out of a cornfield in the
middle of Nebraska. First, he didn't know you log your home time and not
the local time. Then he questioned how I got from Council Bluffs to
David City in an hour. It was my second log book, a complete act of
fiction, and that was the closest thing to reality in it.

The company expected you to get the job done. As they got larger they
started to play by the rules. They realized a DOT audit of the real logs
wouldn't hold up.

Some drivers were upset since running legal meant less money in their
pocket but I didn't mind a more leisurely approach. Being a lab
experiment in sleep deprivation isn't fun. The 1930's style DOT
regulations didn't help either. Legally a day became 19 hours or so, 10
hours driving, 8 off, and 2 1/2 hour breaks. Canada was much more
realistic with the 14 hour limit that fit into the normal, human
circadian pattern.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mr Macaw wrote:
On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 14:39:53 -0000, Scott Lurndal
wrote:

writes:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 18:59:11 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

You do realise your eye has an iris which works like the aperture
in a camera?
Sure do

Clearly not. The point is if a bright light is shone into your eye,
everything else becomes darker. The amount of light required to
attract your attention is an order of magnitude less than the amount
required to illuminate what's in front of you. That's why dipped
beam brightness of lights should only be used in the dark.

You are just being an ass. DRLs are not "shining in your eyes" in
daylight from half a mile away. They are headlights at half intensity.
They have virtually no effect on your eyes, as in "closing the iris" -

I do remember reading of some aircraft camo techniques experimented
with during WWII where forward facing lights were attached to the
wings causing the aircraft to blend in with the sky; seemed to be
somewhat effective during daylight bright skies.

Probably not much of an issue for DRL, however.

Since some stats show they increase safety and some show they decrease
safety, it looks rather like they have zero overall effect. So no point
in them! Perhaps we should concentrate on removing people from driving
who can't see a car in broad daylight without being helped out by lights.

You have to keep in mind where the DRL usage originated. Ever drove in
the prairies? One example, there is a stretch of 0ver 100 Km long
straight highway in Saskatchewan. Oncoming cars from distance are more
visible with DRL in the mirage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

writes:
[...]

There are three things you can see when you look ahead:
1) Clear road
2) Car
3) Not sure
If it's 3, don't overtake, it's not rocket science.
As for a long distance, just how long do you take to overtake? It doesn't matter how long the road is, you need the same length to overtake in Saskatchewan as anywhere else.

--
For this race I'm going to be using "beati dogu". Japanese for the ancient art of driving a sports car round a track faster than a greyhound. -- Richard Hammond
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 16:54:31 -0000, Mike Duffy wrote:

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 06:38:07 -0700, Gene Yuss wrote:

Brake lights should broadcast a wifi signal that flashes the
smartphone screens of the texting driver(s) behind you when
you apply the brakes. Or is there already an app for that?

How about coded beeps from the horn to warn drivers & pedestrians close by
who are NOT texting. I would not recommend this simply for applying the
brakes, and probably the beeps should be a bit muted. But it could give a
heads-up to those close at hand when:

1) The ABS is active. Usually, this means that the driver has allowed his
speed to exceed the safe limit to bring the car to stop without activating
the ABS. Possibly the car cannot stop to avoid hitting a pedestrian, and
the driver will not have time to think about sounding the horn.

Incorrect, I activate ABS all the time. It means I'm fully utilising the ability of the car.

2) Automatic redar-controlled braking is was actived. Usually, this means
that either the driver or a nearby pedestrian has erred in judgement.

I don't have that fitted, but if I did, I'd be inclined not to bother braking for anything, and let the car do it for me.

3) The lane-keeping alarm was sounded within the car. Possibly the driver
is impaired by fatigue, texting, or intoxicants. Warn everyone nearby.

I wonder, do those things activate if you change lanes on a motorway without indicating? Or is it clever enough to work out how quickly you're changing lanes? Surely sometimes you might change lane fairly slowly, in which case how would it know you hadn't done it in error?

I wish they did activate if you didn't indicate, that would stop all those morons who don't know what an indicator stalk is. Car will not allow lane change without indication!

--
People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per rbowman:
I've never seen the English version but have seen the Swedish trilogy. I
haven't read 'The Girl in the Spider's Web' yet.

I didn't even know it was out... last thing I read about Larsson was
that his survivors were haggling over the money....

I've read the trilogy.... so I have to get a copy of the fourth...
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 01:50:50 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/13/2016 02:34 PM, Muggles wrote:
My husband did OTR for a while, and then drove locally for a while. He
said a lot of people had that same quaint idea about playing chicken
with trucks!

I've sometimes wondered what goes on in the mind of an Audi TTS driver
trying to force his way into traffic when he has to loop up to read the
logo on the 11/R22.5 steer tire. He may be a master of the universe in
his world, but he was a speed bump in mine.

In most circumstances I let people in but when someone figures they're
so important they deserve to cut into the head of the line my stubborn
streak comes out.

I cut in if 15 cars in a row don't bother letting me out. I usually wait for the one with the brightest DRLs. If he ever gets out and moans at me, I'll say "but you flashed me.... no? Why did you leave your full beam on then?"

--
"I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency, even if I'm in a cabinet meeting." - Ronald Reagan
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Bod:
I've driven in the USA and it didn't take long to get used to
driving on the right.

I would think the problems come more when somebody is switching
back-and-forth using the same (Righthand or Lefthand drive) car...
as in working in Germany and making trips back to Blighty via the
Chunnel.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 05:17:31 -0000, wrote:

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 21:53:17 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 02/13/2016 09:25 PM, Muggles wrote:
yeah I like truckers, for good reasons. I'll nearly always let them in
if I can do it safely, flash my lights at them if they let me in to
thank them, and try to give them a wide birth. On the way to work I
could swear they let me in the rocking chair on purpose so I could get
off on my exit. Least I'd like to think they did that more than once.

You develop a different attitude, particularly as an OTR driver. You're
driving ten to twelve thousand miles a month and you're typically not
running on a tight schedule. By that I mean you don't have to get to the
office by 9:00. Most of my runs were at least 1,000 miles. You learn to
take the long view. A few minutes one way or the other don't mean
anything and you have plenty of time to study traffic patterns.

I wish all OTR drivers thought the same way you do.
Too many ARE on a tight schedule - they have to have their load at the
dock between 3:15 and 4:00 pm tomorrow, and to keep your logbook legal
you cannot lose 20 minutes in the next 14 hours or you have to stop
for the mandated rest period - meaning you will be a few hours late.
I have 2 brothers who made their living as OTR drivers for many years.
One is currently either running the ice road in northern Sakatchewan
or waiting for the road to open, and the other took his own life last
year.

So the so called safety feature of logging times actually causes loss of life. For goodness sake.

--
"If hooking up one rag-head terrorist's testicles to a car battery gets the truth out of the lying little camel
shagger to save just one Scottish soldiers life, then I have only three things to say: Red is positive, Black is
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 02/13/2016 09:25 PM, Muggles wrote:
yeah I like truckers, for good reasons. I'll nearly always let them in
if I can do it safely, flash my lights at them if they let me in to
thank them, and try to give them a wide birth. On the way to work I
could swear they let me in the rocking chair on purpose so I could get
off on my exit. Least I'd like to think they did that more than once.

You develop a different attitude, particularly as an OTR driver. You're
driving ten to twelve thousand miles a month and you're typically not
running on a tight schedule. By that I mean you don't have to get to the
office by 9:00. Most of my runs were at least 1,000 miles. You learn to
take the long view. A few minutes one way or the other don't mean
anything and you have plenty of time to study traffic patterns.

I would appreciate it if you would leave a blank line between your
words and the previous poster's.

A decent newsreader like mine shows each poster in a different colour, aswell as indenting it, so it's clear which is hers.

I wish all OTR drivers thought the same way you do.
Too many ARE on a tight schedule - they have to have their load at the

This was a long time ago, 1971, but I was standing on the interstate
where the road from St. Louis split, with one fork going to Chicago
and the other to Indianapolis. I was headed for Chicago. A semi
stopped for me. He told me that he had missed me the first time he
passed me, going too fast and he'd gone to the next exit, turned
around gone to the previous exit, turned around again, and picked me
up. I thanked him graciously, but it still amazes me.

A similar thing happened to me. A trucker was heading the wrong way for where I was going, but was dropping something off and returning in 20 minutes. He deliberately went past me on the way back to see if I was still there, and picked me up.

I wonder if there's any truth in the rules that most truckers are forbidden by their companies from picking up hitchhikers? I have had a few hand signals from them driving past which looked like "sorry I can't".

It was a beautiful day, no later than 11AM. He could have easily let
someone else pick me up. It was Feburary though, about 3 days
after Mardi Gras. Still, I don't get it. It must have taken him 20
minutes to turn around twice.

In the UK, most car drivers don't pick up hitchhikers, which I think is ridiculous. I always pick them up.

He dropped me off on the Springfield Il. bypass, and it was hard to
get a ride there. A cop must have driven by because a voice came out
of nowhere, Get off the road. But there was nowhere to go which
woudln't have required hitching. I got a ride before he came back.

Typical cop.

I had hoped to get rides with truckers because I thought they'd be
interesting, but I think I only got two, from New Orleans to Chicago.
The rest were all cars.

Truckers also tend to be going further, so you make more distance before having to find another ride.

--
More people in the UK are injured by standing on upturned mains plugs than by electric shocks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 17/02/2016 16:31, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Bod:
I've driven in the USA and it didn't take long to get used to
driving on the right.

I would think the problems come more when somebody is switching
back-and-forth using the same (Righthand or Lefthand drive) car...
as in working in Germany and making trips back to Blighty via the
Chunnel.

Yes I can see that would be hard for the brain to adjust to.

--
Bod

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 09:14:35 -0000, Bod wrote:

On 16/02/2016 06:06, rbowman wrote:
On 02/15/2016 09:25 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 2/15/2016 9:17 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/15/2016 12:28 PM, Muggles wrote:
We may be divided, but we're still connected with ties we'll never be
able to break.

More's the pity.

Why do you say that?

I have no reason to like Britain. I suppose the people are okay but
their leaders did their best to screw up the world and sucked in fools
like Wilson and Roosevelt.

Like President Bush told us that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction
when they didn't?

Doesn't matter if they do or not, they're Arab filth.

--
Thank you velly much. I'm not Wan King the chef, I'm Fu King the owner.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 06:37:02 -0000, Muggles wrote:

On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 23:06:04 -0700, rbowman
wrote:
We may be divided, but we're still connected with
ties we'll never be able to break.

More's the pity.

Why do you say that?

I have no reason to like Britain. I suppose the people
are okay but their leaders did their best to screw up
the world and sucked in fools like Wilson and
Roosevelt.

Ok. I understand... Not much we can do about the past. I like
people, or at least try to find a reason if I can. Governments ....
not so much.

I cannot think of a single sensible government that's got into power in any country.

--
Confucius say: "Man who lives in glass house should change in basement."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 13:00:05 -0000, SeaNymph wrote:

On 2/16/2016 1:33 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Muggles wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 23:06:04 -0700, rbowman wrote:
We may be divided, but we're still connected with
ties we'll never be able to break.

More's the pity.

Why do you say that?

I have no reason to like Britain. I suppose the people
are okay but their leaders did their best to screw up
the world and sucked in fools like Wilson and
Roosevelt.

Ok. I understand... Not much we can do about the past. I like people,
or at least try to find a reason if I can. Governments .... not so much.

I am not good at driving on the wrong side of the road, LOL!

I lived in Bermuda for 4 years and of course, they drive on the left.
Took a bit of getting used to, but it wasn't too bad.

We were told that its hard to readjust to driving on the right, and I
believe they were right about that.

I don't get this problem. I've gone to France 5 times, and didn't have to think about it at all, I just naturally drove on the same side as everybody else. Even roundabouts and junctions - I don't have to think about who has what priority and which way you go, I just do it naturally. It's like shaving in a mirror.

--
The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/17/2016 8:55 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/16/2016 09:38 PM, Muggles wrote:
We watch that show every week.

'Blue Bloods' is one of the few cop shows that is optimistic. Or something.

Yeah! I like it.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/17/2016 9:14 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/17/2016 05:59 AM, wrote:
[...]

I don't know how truckers manager to drive safely.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 23:06:04 -0700, rbowman wrote:
We may be divided, but we're still connected with
ties we'll never be able to break.

More's the pity.

Why do you say that?

I have no reason to like Britain. I suppose the people
are okay but their leaders did their best to screw up
the world and sucked in fools like Wilson and
Roosevelt.

Ok. I understand... Not much we can do about the past. I like people,
or at least try to find a reason if I can. Governments .... not so much.

I am not good at driving on the wrong side of the road, LOL!

I don't think I would be, either. lol

I've driven in the USA and it didn't take long to get used to
driving on the right.

It took me zero time in France. I drove off the ferry and as I entered the first road I instinctively drove on the right as though I always had done. I didn't have to consciously think about it at all. When I got to a roundabout, I went the other way round without thinking too.

--
The biggest difference between sex for money and sex for love is that sex for money usually costs a LOT less.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 23:06:04 -0700, rbowman wrote:
We may be divided, but we're still connected with
ties we'll never be able to break.

More's the pity.

Why do you say that?

I have no reason to like Britain. I suppose the people
are okay but their leaders did their best to screw up
the world and sucked in fools like Wilson and
Roosevelt.

Ok. I understand... Not much we can do about the past. I like people,
or at least try to find a reason if I can. Governments .... not so
much.

I am not good at driving on the wrong side of the road, LOL!

I don't think I would be, either. lol

I've driven in the USA and it didn't take long to get used to
driving on the right.

I found adjusting to driving on the left pretty easy.
I had a bigger problem remembering which side of the car to get in g

I do that in the UK all the time. If the car's facing the other way, sometimes my subconscious swaps over and sometimes not, but I don't know whether it has or not. So instead I just look for the steering wheel.

--
A great way to lose weight is to eat naked in front of a mirror. Restaurants will almost always throw you out before you can eat too much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 19:28:06 -0000, SeaNymph wrote:

wrote:
We may be divided, but we're still connected with
ties we'll never be able to break.

More's the pity.

Why do you say that?

I have no reason to like Britain. I suppose the people
are okay but their leaders did their best to screw up
the world and sucked in fools like Wilson and
Roosevelt.

Ok. I understand... Not much we can do about the past. I like
people,
or at least try to find a reason if I can. Governments .... not so
much.

I am not good at driving on the wrong side of the road, LOL!

I don't think I would be, either. lol

I've driven in the USA and it didn't take long to get used to
driving on the right.

I found adjusting to driving on the left pretty easy.
I had a bigger problem remembering which side of the car to get in g

Lol, I can understand that. A few times a walked round to the wrong side
in the States.

The only time I drove on the left was when I lived in Bermuda. The
roads are small, the cars are tiny and the speed limits are pretty slow.

While there I came back to the States a few times to visit, and had a
real problem trying to adjust back to the right.

So you have other mental defects? I can't understand not being able to drive on either side.

--
BREAKFAST.SYS halted... Cereal port not responding.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I won't be wasting time or breath responding dictly to the Macaw
idiot anymore - he's Plonked.

Good, that'll shut you up so I don't have to. All you've said so far to me is you can't see objects without lights all over them. Again, get off the ****ing road before you kill someone.

And why do you choose to write this here in reply to a completely different set of people when I wasn't being mentioned? I suggest you grow up.

P.S. what's "dictly"?

--
Smith & Wesson -- the original point and click interface.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 16:31:46 -0000, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Per Bod:
I've driven in the USA and it didn't take long to get used to
driving on the right.

I would think the problems come more when somebody is switching
back-and-forth using the same (Righthand or Lefthand drive) car...
as in working in Germany and making trips back to Blighty via the
Chunnel.

Only if you're a moron.

--
As the coffin was being lowered into the ground at a Traffic Wardens funeral, a voice from inside screams:
"I'm not dead, I'm not dead. Let me out!"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 14:55:16 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/16/2016 09:38 PM, Muggles wrote:
We watch that show every week.

'Blue Bloods' is one of the few cop shows that is optimistic. Or something.

I cannot understand the point of watching a cop show.

--
If you want a stable relationship....buy a horse.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 03:25:37 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/15/2016 12:31 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Like what? We share the same films and internet, that's about it.

The whole world shares the internet.

And what I said is a correct subset of that.

I watch a lot more Swedish and
Danish movies than British.

And have to read the subtitles at the same time?

If I want to watch Wallander, I'll go to the source.

Of course, we do import a lot of British and Australian actors. They
must work cheap and some of them can even speak fairly intelligible English.

I think England should put a tax on the use of our language.

--
An old Irish farmer's dog goes missing and he's inconsolable.
His wife says "Why don't you put an advert in the paper?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 02:32:36 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/16/2016 10:23 AM, Bod wrote:
Do you get one of our very popular programs called QI?
Up till last week Stephen Fry hosted it.

i don't watch enough TV to be a good sample, but I've never heard of it.
Our public broadcasting network picks up stuff like 'Downton Abbey' and
'Doc Martin' that I've had glimpses of while surfing past. I think
'Benny Hill' reruns have mercifully vanished although there is some
other strange comedy. I've never quite gotten it and that includes the
much loved Monty Python.

If you like Monty Python you should like Benny Hill.

--
Eagles may soar, but weasels aren't sucked into jet engines.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 00:43:26 -0000, Don Y wrote:

On 2/15/2016 5:10 PM, RonNNN wrote:
In article , says...

I'll simplify this. I like getting out of the house. I do more than
shop, I volunteer at different places at different times. It's not
really a big deal.

I definitely drive less now that I've retired. I did test drives on
vehicles I worked on way more than I commuted to and from work. However,
since I retired I do sometimes make longer trips than I did during my
working days. The grocery store I frequent is only two blocks away, and
Wally World is only another block past that. The other places like Home
Depot or Lowes or Sams club are just a few miles (maybe 5) away.

Combined, we drive less than 6,000 miles per year. E.g., car is now
7 months old and has *about* 3,000 miles on it.

We tend to group all of our shopping into one "big loop", one day
each week. We arrange this loop to minimize distance traveled,
maximize number of right turns (so we don't have to cross traffic),

That's rather anal. Either that or you're a really **** driver and scared of turning left.

etc. We will make 5 to 10 "stops" in the course of 3-4 hours
including grocery stores, home depot/lowes/wallmart, post office,
costco, etc. as needed.

Brutal on the car (as it never really gets up to operating
temperature)

Cars don't mind being below operating temperature.

--
My wife and I were watching Who Wants To Be A Millionaire while we were in bed.
I turned to her and said, "Do you want to have sex?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 01:46:07 -0000, Don Y wrote:

On 2/15/2016 6:28 PM, RonNNN wrote:
In article , lid
says...

Brutal on the car (as it never really gets up to operating
temperature) but silly to drive just for the sake of driving!

My wifes old car (two times past) is my running around car, a 98 Monte

"Two times past"? Meaning she's had two cars since then?

Carlo. It still has the original exhaust system. It has nearly 200K miles
on it, but in the last 3 or 4 years has only had maybe 5k put on it. I

I had a 75 Monte Carlo. Land Yacht. Doors took two hands to pull closed!
Living in New England, Midwest, Colorado, etc. was always brutal on
the exhaust systems -- seemed like I was *always* replacing some or all
of it on whatever I happened to be driving.

Here, I don't think I've ever encountered anyone who's had exhaust
work done! (Little rain, no snow and NO salt!)

rotate it every few weeks with my 96 Chevy PU truck just to keep the
batteries up. Her newest car, a 2015 Mazda 6 is still below 7k even with
a few long trips (600 or so one way miles). On the other hand my old

SWMBO used to take annual (driving) trips for "seminars". She'd put
on more miles in the drive up and back as she would for most of the
rest of the year!

truck has had at least 3 mufflers and a couple of (duel) tail pipes
replaced due to rusting out. For the most part the truck got more drive
time than the Monte Carlo, but mostly short drives, just enough to cause
condensation in the pipes. The Monte's exhaust is all stainless steel.

I suspect it is dry enough, here, that the problem isn't as severe.

I've not seen "water in the gas" (at stations) since leaving the colder
climates.

And, I never see water dripping from the tail pipes of vehicles.
OTOH, the ACbrrr is on virtually all year and you regularly encounter
puddles of condensate under vehicles. shrug

I'm more concerned about moisture in the motor oil, wear and tear on
the battery (repeated starting loads), etc.

I start my car about 50 times in a day, and it doesn't bother it in the slightest.

--
Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 04:30:04 -0000, Don Y wrote:

On 2/15/2016 7:15 PM, RonNNN wrote:

Carlo. It still has the original exhaust system. It has nearly 200K miles
on it, but in the last 3 or 4 years has only had maybe 5k put on it. I

I had a 75 Monte Carlo. Land Yacht. Doors took two hands to pull closed!

The 98 MC is more of an mid-sized car compared to the old "boats".

Yes, the *85* was classified as a "full size" -- despite FEELING like a
mid size. shrug Dunno how the bean counters come to these decisions;
just want to know how much it will cost to insure...

Living in New England, Midwest, Colorado, etc. was always brutal on
the exhaust systems -- seemed like I was *always* replacing some or all
of it on whatever I happened to be driving.

The only thing we deal with in my area is condensation. Far from the
coast and far from the ice and snow. Only on rare occasions are the roads
salted due to icing weather.

In the places I mentioned, salt was often used in lieu of plows.
Of course, there's a point (temperature) where the salt just SITS on
the roadway and doesn't *do* anything (lower freezing point).

In the meantime, it's eating away at your frame, exhaust, etc.

I would have to replace my shoes each Spring from the salt
that the leather had soaked up from the surrounding "slush"

I'm more concerned about moisture in the motor oil, wear and tear on
the battery (repeated starting loads), etc.

Being in my business all of my vehicles got oil changes at 3k, always.

SWMBO's last vehicle got changes every 6 months (3K). Oil never
got a *chance* to get dirty. IIRC, the "high usage" schedule
was much less frequent than that.

[batteries and tires are the high turnover items in this climate]

That's another thing the Monte was good at was tire wear. It's first set
of replacement tires was at 100k! I did replace the second set at another
80k, and the ones on it now are only the third set of tires and still
look like new.

Tires and batteries fail (here) primarily due to temperature.

I stress to SWMBO that the car should be ROLLING when she turns
the wheel (not stopped while the turning wheel just rubs off
rubber onto the hot concrete driveway).

Most folks only buy *one* replacement battery (after the factory
installed fails). Thereafter, just keep returning them for
free replacements (not even reaching the prorated portion of the
warranty schedule!)

You actually keep the receipt that long?

--
The true mark of a civilized society is when its citizens know how to hate each other peacefully.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I vote for anal
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/t...turn_left.html

Left turns are the bane of traffic engineers. Their idea of utopia runs
clockwise. (UPS' routing software famously has drivers turn right
whenever possible, to save money and time.) The left-turning vehicle
presents not only the aforementioned safety hazard, but a coagulation in
the smooth flow of traffic. It's either a car stopped in an active
traffic lane, waiting to turn; or, even worse, it's cars in a dedicated
left-turn lane that, when traffic is heavy enough, requires its own
"dedicated signal phase," lengthening the delay for through traffic as
well as cross traffic. And when traffic volumes really increase, as in
the junction of two suburban arterials, multiple left-turn lanes are
required, costing even more in space and money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 08:14:23 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 02/17/2016 05:59 AM, wrote:
[...]

And in that 14 hours if you were stuck in raffic the clock was still
running. I know drivers who would get off at the first possible
opportunity and book some "rest time" untill the traffic cleared -
giving them a couple extra hours of good driving later in the day.