Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Idiot lights-out drivers

On 3/5/2016 2:42 PM, SeaNymph wrote:

Well I'm not a believer in the notion that testosterone is the biggest
cause of war. Frankly, it seems a bit of insult to men, and an insult
that is lacking in any credibility.

You remember how the WWII started, when
Hitler invaded the France with all those
idiot lights out tanks.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/5/2016 3:21 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 3/5/2016 2:47 AM, Bod wrote:
On 05/03/2016 05:37, Muggles wrote:

Wars will stop when there's no testosterone left rushing through the
veins of anyone on this Earth.

Which means there will not be any men left.

Women have the testosterone hormone, too.

That why they drive around with lights off?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/05/2016 04:26 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

The root of the problem are the weirdos with the accents. English
manages without them!

Yeah, that's why you can't tell the difference between there, their, and
they're in English and why she rose from the dead with a rose between
her teeth.

Meanwhile it kept the conjugation I am, you are, he is, they are
instead of the sensible Norwegian jeg er, du er, han er, de er.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/05/2016 06:58 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/5/2016 2:42 PM, SeaNymph wrote:

Well I'm not a believer in the notion that testosterone is the biggest
cause of war. Frankly, it seems a bit of insult to men, and an insult
that is lacking in any credibility.

You remember how the WWII started, when
Hitler invaded the France with all those
idiot lights out tanks.

Another product of public schooling. Germany invaded Poland on September
1, 1939, followed by France and Britain declaring war on Germany. France
and Britain had made guarantees to Poland that they had a snowball's
chance of honoring. The Poles were stupid enough to believe them and got
belligerent rather than negotiating a solution to the Polish corridor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/03/2016 20:21, Muggles wrote:
On 3/5/2016 2:47 AM, Bod wrote:
On 05/03/2016 05:37, Muggles wrote:
On 3/4/2016 2:51 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 04:42:41 -0000, Muggles

Yeah. A bunch of bad stuff happened. Some people want to dominate and
control other people if and when they get a chance to do it. Lot's of
wars, and conniving, evil people out there.

I'd like to believe there's some good in some people somewhere.

Wars will stop when religion stops.

Wars will stop when there's no testosterone left rushing through the
veins of anyone on this Earth.

Which means there will not be any men left.

Women have the testosterone hormone, too.

Men also have the oestrogen hormone.

--
Bod

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/5/2016 2:43 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sat, 05 Mar 2016 20:28:46 -0000, Muggles
wrote:

On 3/5/2016 12:23 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 03/04/2016 10:37 PM, Muggles wrote:

Wars will stop when there's no testosterone left rushing through the
veins of anyone on this Earth.

You're saying Clinton hasn't been taking her estrogen? She never met a
war she didn't like.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freyd%...Dksd%C3%B3ttir

I think that men run the world, and women have influence. At the end of
the day we all have testosterone running through our veins, and when
there's no testosterone left, there'll be no more wars.

IOW's, as long as we're on this Earth, men/women, there are going to be
wars.

Without testosterone you'd be very ill.

I think we all might.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 05 Mar 2016 19:39:07 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 03/05/2016 06:58 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/5/2016 2:42 PM, SeaNymph wrote:

Well I'm not a believer in the notion that testosterone is the biggest
cause of war. Frankly, it seems a bit of insult to men, and an insult
that is lacking in any credibility.

You remember how the WWII started, when
Hitler invaded the France with all those
idiot lights out tanks.

Another product of public schooling. Germany invaded Poland on September
1, 1939, followed by France and Britain declaring war on Germany. France
and Britain had made guarantees to Poland that they had a snowball's
chance of honoring. The Poles were stupid enough to believe them and got
belligerent rather than negotiating a solution to the Polish corridor.

Surely you jest. Negotiate with Adolf Hitler?
LMAO.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 03/05/2016 06:58 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/5/2016 2:42 PM, SeaNymph wrote:

Well I'm not a believer in the notion that testosterone is the biggest
cause of war. Frankly, it seems a bit of insult to men, and an insult
that is lacking in any credibility.

You remember how the WWII started, when
Hitler invaded the France with all those
idiot lights out tanks.

Another product of public schooling. Germany invaded Poland on September
1, 1939, followed by France and Britain declaring war on Germany. France
and Britain had made guarantees to Poland that they had a snowball's
chance of honoring. The Poles were stupid enough to believe them and got
belligerent rather than negotiating a solution to the Polish corridor.

Surely you jest. Negotiate with Adolf Hitler?
LMAO.

Should have let him win. Now look at the mess the world is in.

--
There is no such thing as a law abiding motorist, just those who have been scammed and those yet to be scammed!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/5/2016 2:47 AM, Bod wrote:
On 05/03/2016 05:37, Muggles wrote:
On 3/4/2016 2:51 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 04:42:41 -0000, Muggles

Yeah. A bunch of bad stuff happened. Some people want to dominate and
control other people if and when they get a chance to do it. Lot's of
wars, and conniving, evil people out there.

I'd like to believe there's some good in some people somewhere.

Wars will stop when religion stops.

Wars will stop when there's no testosterone left rushing through the
veins of anyone on this Earth.

Which means there will not be any men left.

Women have the testosterone hormone, too.

Men also have the oestrogen hormone.

Especially poofters.

--
8 Brits were injured last year in accidents involving out of control Scalextric cars.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Mar 2016 02:33:35 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 03/05/2016 04:26 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

The root of the problem are the weirdos with the accents. English
manages without them!

Yeah, that's why you can't tell the difference between there, their, and
they're in English and why she rose from the dead with a rose between
her teeth.

What is that to do with accents? Accents allow you to make the distinction in spelling that you would otherwise only be able to hear. Your example is the opposite of this.

Meanwhile it kept the conjugation I am, you are, he is, they are
instead of the sensible Norwegian jeg er, du er, han er, de er.

I don't speak Norwegian so I don't know what your point is there.

--
"Flashlights are tubular metal containers kept in a flight bag for the purpose of storing dead batteries."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/5/2016 2:47 AM, Bod wrote:
On 05/03/2016 05:37, Muggles wrote:

Wars will stop when there's no testosterone left rushing through the
veins of anyone on this Earth.

Which means there will not be any men left.

Women have the testosterone hormone, too.

That why they drive around with lights off?

If only they did. The problem in the UK is people driving around with them on during daylight hours. I was actually almost run over once when I crossed the road. A car was coming along with it's lights on, dazzling me. I didn't notice there was a van shortly behind it. If some people use DRLs and some don't, they're taking the attention away from those that don't, therefore causing accidents, even though not to them. If everyone has them (and they're all the same brightness, which doesn't appear to be happening) then you can no longer see unlit things like pedestrians. What next, obligatory lights on pedestrians? Then dogs? Then inanimate objects like wastebins?

--
How do you titillate an ocelot?
Oscillate its titalot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 18:48:34 -0000, Don Y wrote:

On 2/16/2016 7:47 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/16/2016 12:27 AM, Don Y wrote:
Yes, but I was referring to "Americans" (having different ancestries,
yet essentially "American").

E.g., most of the folks that I grew up with were 2nd generation -- having
first generation AMERICAN parents (GRANDparents who were immigrants)

Now that you mention it, I did work with one man who went out of his way to
proclaim he was northern Italian, nothing like those other Italians. Another
friend maintained he was Prussian rather than Polish although given the history
of that area it's hard to make a distinction.

And all were "native born Americans"? (see my point?)

First time I traveled abroad, customs official (Manchester) queried me
on my last name: "What nationality is that?" I looked at her
dumbfounded: "American".

Obviously you weren't British, arriving at an airport, so I'm not sure why he'd be surprised at you not having a British name.

But I don't see why you were confused that he wanted to know what country you were born in (although if your American passport was in front of him, that would make it a rather pointless question).

--
Connecticut police are investigating a string of shootings where clues are reportedly contained in a rap CD.
They are also questioning Bob Marley about the shooting of a sheriff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/5/2016 2:47 AM, Bod wrote:
On 05/03/2016 05:37, Muggles wrote:
On 3/4/2016 2:51 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 04:42:41 -0000, Muggles

Yeah. A bunch of bad stuff happened. Some people want to dominate
and
control other people if and when they get a chance to do it.
Lot's of
wars, and conniving, evil people out there.

I'd like to believe there's some good in some people somewhere.

Wars will stop when religion stops.

Wars will stop when there's no testosterone left rushing through the
veins of anyone on this Earth.

Which means there will not be any men left.

Women have the testosterone hormone, too.

Men also have the oestrogen hormone.

Especially poofters.

I know, you're boyfriend told me.

--
Bod

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/5/2016 2:47 AM, Bod wrote:
On 05/03/2016 05:37, Muggles wrote:
On 3/4/2016 2:51 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 04:42:41 -0000, Muggles

Yeah. A bunch of bad stuff happened. Some people want to dominate
and
control other people if and when they get a chance to do it.
Lot's of
wars, and conniving, evil people out there.

I'd like to believe there's some good in some people somewhere.

Wars will stop when religion stops.

Wars will stop when there's no testosterone left rushing through the
veins of anyone on this Earth.

Which means there will not be any men left.

Women have the testosterone hormone, too.

Men also have the oestrogen hormone.

Especially poofters.

I know, you're boyfriend told me.

Apostrophical error.

--
Loose or missing nuts. Spank the monkey (Y/N)?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/5/2016 2:47 AM, Bod wrote:
On 05/03/2016 05:37, Muggles wrote:
On 3/4/2016 2:51 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 04:42:41 -0000, Muggles

Yeah. A bunch of bad stuff happened. Some people want to dominate
and
control other people if and when they get a chance to do it.
Lot's of
wars, and conniving, evil people out there.

I'd like to believe there's some good in some people somewhere.

Wars will stop when religion stops.

Wars will stop when there's no testosterone left rushing through the
veins of anyone on this Earth.

Which means there will not be any men left.

Women have the testosterone hormone, too.

Men also have the oestrogen hormone.

Especially poofters.

I know, you're boyfriend told me.

Apostrophical error.

Only gay people notice apostrophical errors.

--
Bod

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/5/2016 2:47 AM, Bod wrote:
On 05/03/2016 05:37, Muggles wrote:
On 3/4/2016 2:51 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 04:42:41 -0000, Muggles

Yeah. A bunch of bad stuff happened. Some people want to dominate
and
control other people if and when they get a chance to do it.
Lot's of
wars, and conniving, evil people out there.

I'd like to believe there's some good in some people somewhere.

Wars will stop when religion stops.

Wars will stop when there's no testosterone left rushing through the
veins of anyone on this Earth.

Which means there will not be any men left.

Women have the testosterone hormone, too.

Men also have the oestrogen hormone.

Especially poofters.

I know, you're boyfriend told me.

Apostrophical error.

Only gay people notice apostrophical errors.

HA! You are the one that constantly wants to be correct with spelling etc in emails.

--
One frigid morning in North Dakota a man turned up at work much the worse for wear.
"I didn't sleep a wink," he told a coworker. "I was up all night trying to keep my wife's begonia covered against the freezing cold."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 03/05/2016 06:58 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 3/5/2016 2:42 PM, SeaNymph wrote:

Well I'm not a believer in the notion that testosterone is the biggest
cause of war. Frankly, it seems a bit of insult to men, and an insult
that is lacking in any credibility.

You remember how the WWII started, when
Hitler invaded the France with all those
idiot lights out tanks.

Another product of public schooling. Germany invaded Poland on September
1, 1939, followed by France and Britain declaring war on Germany. France
and Britain had made guarantees to Poland that they had a snowball's
chance of honoring. The Poles were stupid enough to believe them and got
belligerent rather than negotiating a solution to the Polish corridor.

Surely you jest. Negotiate with Adolf Hitler?
LMAO.

If yuo read history you'll find the Poles were rattling sabers and being
pricks in general because they thought Britain had their back. The
corridor separated the bulk of Germany from East Prussia and the Poles
refused to let the Germans transit it, forcing them to go by sea. Had
Poland been less belligerent, they could have been an ally. Whether that
would have worked out better is arguable but in that alternate history
they might not have been under the thumb of the Soviets for decades.

The Poles problem was believing Britain and France. The BEF at the time
couldn't even hold their position in France let alone defend Poland.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/06/2016 08:00 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Should have let him win. Now look at the mess the world is in.

I doubt Arabs would be molesting white women in Koln.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 21:26:08 -0000, sms wrote:

On 2/13/2016 8:48 PM, wrote:

The insurance companies definitely feel differently about it than you
do. And so do many other motoring safety groups In 5 minutes I could
likely find 10 or more studies showing there is a safety advantage to
counter every one of yours stating there is not.

A NHTSA study in 2004 entitled "An Assessment of the Crash-Reducing
Effectiveness of Passenger Vehicle Daytime Running Lamps (DRLs)" found
the followinng:

DRLs reduced opposite direction daytime fatal crashes by €“6.3 percent
that is DRLs increase opposite direction daytime fatal crashes by 6.3
percent.

DRLs reduced opposite direction/angle daytime non-fatal crashes by €“7.9
percent that is DRLs increase opposite direction/angle daytime non-fatal
crashes by 7.9 percent.

DRLs reduced non-motorists, pedestrians and cyclists, daytime fatalities
in single-vehicle crashes by 3.8 percent.

DRLs reduced daytime opposite direction fatal crashes of a passenger
vehicle with a motorcycle by 26 percent.

Definitely mixed results, but not unexpected.

They're increasing accidents in the very area they're meant to help in - seeing another car coming the other way. And helping where I'd expect worse crashes - distracting you from seeing an unlit pedestrian. Perhaps they remind pedestrians to look before crossing (do we care about morons who don't look?). The main problem is they dazzle other motorists so you they can't judge where the edge of your car is. This is documented on websites complaining about DRLs, where the people complaining are professional optometrists etc who know what they're talking about.

--
There is a big controversy on the Jewish view of when life begins. In Jewish tradition, the foetus is not considered viable until it graduates from law school.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 14:59:13 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/16/2016 12:33 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
I am not good at driving on the wrong side of the road, LOL!

Years ago there was a well liked politician in Massachusetts who got
married and went on honeymoon to one of the British islands. He and his
wife were killed when they had a moment of confusion.

Darwin Award.

--
Q. What's hairy on the outside, wet on the inside, begins with a "C" and ends with a "T"?
A. A coconut.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 16:03:15 -0000, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Per rbowman:
Years ago there was a well liked politician in Massachusetts who got
married and went on honeymoon to one of the British islands. He and his
wife were killed when they had a moment of confusion.

When I went back for a family reunion in 2002, a lot of my relatives
were living on The Continent - and *everybody* had a Left/Right story -
none of them good.

How odd, I have absolutely no problem driving in France. It's like shaving in a mirror, you don't have to think about it, you subconsciously swap.

I wouldn't even *think* of driving a car over there, and what bike
riding I did I confined myself to sidewalks and paths.

My biggest worry was looking the wrong way before stepping off a curb
into the path of a vehicle.

Huh? I look BOTH ways before crossing anyway! No change required!

--
Q. What's hairy on the outside, wet on the inside, begins with a "C" and ends with a "T"?
A. A coconut.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 21:38:14 -0000, wrote:

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 11:03:15 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per rbowman:
Years ago there was a well liked politician in Massachusetts who got
married and went on honeymoon to one of the British islands. He and his
wife were killed when they had a moment of confusion.

When I went back for a family reunion in 2002, a lot of my relatives
were living on The Continent - and *everybody* had a Left/Right story -
none of them good.

I wouldn't even *think* of driving a car over there, and what bike
riding I did I confined myself to sidewalks and paths.

My biggest worry was looking the wrong way before stepping off a curb
into the path of a vehicle.

Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman made a couple of motorcycle
documentaries. They started in the UK of course and I'd get a queasy
feeling from the video filmed from their helmet cams. I also have a
documentary by an Indian who rode his Royal Enfield up through the high
altitude regions near the Chinese border. I'd never thought about it,
but a few moments into the film I realized the Brits had left their
fingerprints in India.

I guess the Japanese inherited the oddity along with British railroads.

When I first started driving on the left at 21 it was a bit of a
challenge - it would have been wirse with a LHD car. At that age I
caught on pretty quickly. Driving a motorscyle was a bigger challenge
as you don;t have the "reference point" of which side of the vehicle
you are in.
When I came home in '75 I found myself always going to the wrong side
of the car for about 6 months - but other than that not a problem
adjusting back, and in 1988 when I was driving in the Caribean - with
RHD cars and driving on the left, it all came back as "second nature"
- no problem at all.

A friend has a lhd JDM Hilux Surf (ForeRunner) and had a JDM civic
here in Canada anf both he and his wife adapted fairly quickly to
"driving on the wrong side of the car"

While in France on the "wrong side" my car broke down and I got a rental that had the steering on the "wrong side". Neither combination phased me at all.

--
The Web brings people together because no matter what kind of a twisted sexual mutant you happen to be, you've got millions of pals out there. Type in "Find people that have sex with goats that are on fire" and the computer will say "Specify type of goat." -- Rich Jeni
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 21:38:55 -0000, wrote:

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 16:41:52 +0000, Bod wrote:

On 16/02/2016 14:59, rbowman wrote:
On 02/16/2016 12:33 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
I am not good at driving on the wrong side of the road, LOL!

Years ago there was a well liked politician in Massachusetts who got
married and went on honeymoon to one of the British islands. He and his
wife were killed when they had a moment of confusion.

Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman made a couple of motorcycle
documentaries. They started in the UK of course and I'd get a queasy
feeling from the video filmed from their helmet cams. I also have a
documentary by an Indian who rode his Royal Enfield up through the high
altitude regions near the Chinese border. I'd never thought about it,
but a few moments into the film I realized the Brits had left their
fingerprints in India.

I guess the Japanese inherited the oddity along with British railroads.

55 countries drive on the left.

Which leaves HOW MANY on the right??????

Temper....

--
WinError: Unable to exit Windows. Try the door.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 02:41:16 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/16/2016 10:31 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Ah, he's moving to America.
http://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-n...ng-off-Twitter

How the hell did he get that young thing? I guess it's the money.

Oh, that Fry... I saw something today on a tech site about him dumping
twitter because of the twits that live there.

He's moving to America aswell, he just wants a new life I guess. He's a bit emotional, and thought about committing suicide at least once. I think he was a lot better after getting a boyfriend.

I saw 'V for Vendetta' so I guess I've seen Fry but Rea is the one I remember.

Never heard of Steven Rea. Just looked him up and I haven't seen any of his films. Must be the wrong kind of films as I've watched plenty of films.

--
Does a pope **** in the woods? And if a pope ****s in the woods and no-one is around, does he pebbledash?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 02:41:48 -0000, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/16/2016 1:55 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 18:19:16 -0000, Bod wrote:

If I get caught, then it only affects me. VW affected millions and is
costing them many millions of pounds and ruined their good reputation.

They affected only themselves, WTF are you talking about?

They affected everyone that will no longer get the MPG promised.

It was nothing to do with MPG. It was to do with pollution. Most people don't care there's a bit more pollution coming out of their exhaust.

--
Marriage changes passion. Suddenly you're in bed with a relative.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 02:50:56 -0000, wrote:

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 21:41:48 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/16/2016 1:55 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 18:19:16 -0000, Bod wrote:

If I get caught, then it only affects me. VW affected millions and is
costing them many millions of pounds and ruined their good reputation.

They affected only themselves, WTF are you talking about?

They affected everyone that will no longer get the MPG promised.

or the resale value.

Nobody cares when they're buying a used car that the emissions are slightly higher. The resale value will stay the same.

--
A soldier who survived mustard gas and pepper spray is now a seasoned veteran.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 03:04:32 -0000, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/16/2016 2:40 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Pulling out to pass when you can't be sure the other side is empty is
****ing stupid.
You are right - but you would think it was all clear because you can;t
see the car hiding in the dhadows with no lights.

You can't see something in the shade? How did you even get a license?

You evidently are superhuman. The human eye has limits to what it can
perceive. On a very bright sunny day it is possible not to see
something in the shadow. One morning I saw a car approaching. It was
not until we were much closer did I see the car in front of it. Unusual
circumstance, but it can happen. Not to you, of course.

People like you are the ones that say "he came out of nowhere" when someone hits them. You should have your license removed permanently. I don't have superhuman sight, I have fully working sight. If you have poor sight, don't drive, or get glasses, or don't ****ing well pull out when you aren't sure! It's not rocket science.

--
A conscience just costs you money.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 03:08:26 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/16/2016 11:55 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

They affected only themselves, WTF are you talking about?

I haven't followed it long term but when the news first broke there was
talk about the resale value plummeting. At least in the US it didn't
happen, and many drivers took the stance of 'It's running great. Like
hell you're going to fix it.'

Presumably they can't force you to return it.

--
Did you hear about the new instant lottery game in India?
You scratch the ticket and if the dot matches the one on your forehead, you win a convenience store in the US.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 03:16:25 -0000, wrote:

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 20:03:57 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 02/16/2016 10:26 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Modern Germans are too PC.

The entire world has been breathing down their necks and the Lügenpresse
has been all to willing to beat their breasts. Say anything other than
"We love all of God's critters' and they scream neo-Nazi. Like the
little boy that cried wolf, won't they be surprised if the real thing
shows up.

and VW have completely cocked up, big time.

No, the environmentalists cocked up big time. I will from now on ONLY
buy a VW, they had the guts to cheat the stupid greenie laws.

Oddly for a member of my generation I've never owned a VW and only drove
a Beetle about 100' to move it away from a loading dock. The closest
I've come was an Audi. Maybe I should hunt up an old bug with worn rings
and a shot carb to be environmentally correct.

They finally built a diesel that wasn't more suited for a farm tractor
and got nailed for bending the profile a bit.

I've owned 2. A 1949 Beetle and a 1966 Rabbit (in Agate brown)

I believe a Rabbit = a Golf in the UK. I had a 1998 Golf (which said Golf Rabbit on the documentation, and had a rabbit symbol in one window)..

--
A male gynecologist is like an auto mechanic who never owned a car.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/06/2016 09:06 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
What is that to do with accents? Accents allow you to make the
distinction in spelling that you would otherwise only be able to hear.
Your example is the opposite of this.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/76558...eretheirtheyre

In Old English, there was 'þǽr', and their was something entirely
different. þaire was a loan word for 'their'. Throw out the accents and
you have two homophones; the spellings differ but the spoken word is the
same.

Meanwhile it kept the conjugation I am, you are, he is, they are
instead of the sensible Norwegian jeg er, du er, han er, de er.

I don't speak Norwegian so I don't know what your point is there.

While English dropped a lot of the complexity it kept a few oddities.
Old English is closer to modern German as far as inflexions and word
order. The Old Norse and Norman French influences led to changes.

Anyway, English managed to retain conjugation in person and number where
Norwegian dropped it mostly. So, for the present tense of 'to be',
you've got am, is, and are, depending on the person or number, where in
Norwegian, it's all 'er'. I er, you er, she er, etc.

Just another complexity for someone trying to learn English although
it's not as hard as some languages. I just find it interesting how far
the children of proto-Germanic have diverged. Probably the purest to its
roots is modern Icelandic which is basically Old Norse in a time warp.
Maintaining purity is easier if you're a little out of the way island.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 03:08:26 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/16/2016 11:55 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

They affected only themselves, WTF are you talking about?

I haven't followed it long term but when the news first broke there was
talk about the resale value plummeting. At least in the US it didn't
happen, and many drivers took the stance of 'It's running great. Like
hell you're going to fix it.'

I've just heard by coincidence that a pet cat has the same environmental impact (by the meat it eats) as a VW Golf. So no point in getting worked up about VW.

--
Did you hear about the new instant lottery game in India?
You scratch the ticket and if the dot matches the one on your forehead, you win a convenience store in the US.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/5/2016 2:47 AM, Bod wrote:
[...]

Ok, give us a kiss and we'll call it quits ;-)

--
Bod

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 04:06:46 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/16/2016 10:32 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
American football is a health and softy version of Rugby.

Trust me, our Maggots can kick balls with the best of them.

http://www.maggots.org/

They play rugby. I mean the American football players with all that safety gear on.

--
8 Brits were injured last year in accidents involving out of control Scalextric cars.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 04:22:24 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/16/2016 11:06 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 05:05:44 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/15/2016 03:57 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

What is "UPS"? To me that's a device used to prevent power outages to
something important like a computer.

United Parcel Service. They're big brown trucks that bring all the good
things of life to your doorstep.

Oh, don't you have competition there? There is no one main courier here.

There is competition like FedEx that tends to suck. Amazon mostly uses
UPS so I see the guy in brown often. There are local couriers but it
takes a lot of infrastructure to service the US. The lower 48 states
alone are over 3 million square miles versus 94 thousand for the UK.

iirc in 'Small is Beautiful' Schumacher talked about the inefficiencies
of two lorries passing each other on the motorway as each carried
biscuits from their city to the other city where the cities were 100
miles apart. When I was trucking I'd load carpet in LA, take it to
Dalton, GA, load Georgia carpet and take it back to LA. They're 2100
miles apart. The transportation industry in the US is utterly insane. To
succeed as a parcel carrier you need a lot of planes, trucks, and
warehouses.

I assume courier prices are per state over there? For example over here, if I pay to ship a parcel by courier it's the same price to go from anywhere to anywhere in the UK, apart form the North half of Scotland.

--
"I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency, even if I'm in a cabinet meeting." - Ronald Reagan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 04:31:11 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/16/2016 12:10 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
The Irish simply need to understand they are in Britain and we are in
control.

Living back in the glory days again? I see they finally got around to
slapping the wrist of one of the Paras from Bloody Sunday. That took
long enough.

Ireland is a silly little lump on the West, you might aswell call it UK.

--
Question: Are there too many immigrants in Britain?
17% said yes, 11% said no, 72% said "I am not understanding the question please."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 00:59:29 -0000, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/17/2016 6:09 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 00:43:26 -0000, Don Y
wrote:

On 2/15/2016 5:10 PM, RonNNN wrote:
In article ,
says...

I'll simplify this. I like getting out of the house. I do more than
shop, I volunteer at different places at different times. It's not
really a big deal.

I definitely drive less now that I've retired. I did test drives on
vehicles I worked on way more than I commuted to and from work. However,
since I retired I do sometimes make longer trips than I did during my
working days. The grocery store I frequent is only two blocks away, and
Wally World is only another block past that. The other places like Home
Depot or Lowes or Sams club are just a few miles (maybe 5) away.

Combined, we drive less than 6,000 miles per year. E.g., car is now
7 months old and has *about* 3,000 miles on it.

We tend to group all of our shopping into one "big loop", one day
each week. We arrange this loop to minimize distance traveled,
maximize number of right turns (so we don't have to cross traffic),

That's rather anal. Either that or you're a really **** driver and
scared of turning left.

I vote for anal
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/t...turn_left.html

Left turns are the bane of traffic engineers. Their idea of utopia runs
clockwise. (UPS' routing software famously has drivers turn right
whenever possible, to save money and time.) The left-turning vehicle
presents not only the aforementioned safety hazard, but a coagulation in
the smooth flow of traffic. It's either a car stopped in an active
traffic lane, waiting to turn; or, even worse, it's cars in a dedicated
left-turn lane that, when traffic is heavy enough, requires its own
"dedicated signal phase," lengthening the delay for through traffic as
well as cross traffic. And when traffic volumes really increase, as in
the junction of two suburban arterials, multiple left-turn lanes are
required, costing even more in space and money.

My satnav will take account of it taking longer to turn right (or left in the US), but I'd certainly never bother including it in a manual calculation, that's just madness.

--
If you want a stable relationship....buy a horse.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 04:24:59 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/17/2016 12:08 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 14:55:16 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/16/2016 09:38 PM, Muggles wrote:
We watch that show every week.

'Blue Bloods' is one of the few cop shows that is optimistic. Or
something.

I cannot understand the point of watching a cop show.

Whatever. I can't understand the point of watching Downton Abbey but
people seem to do so. I suppose you don't like 'Jack Taylor' either.
Iain Glen does a good job although you'd think they could have found an
authentic alcoholic Irishman rather than importing a Scot.

I've not heard of anything in that entire paragraph.

--
I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. It's because I hate plants.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 04:33:49 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/17/2016 08:29 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
As for a long distance, just how long do you take to overtake? It
doesn't matter how long the road is, you need the same length to
overtake in Saskatchewan as anywhere else.

How fast does your car do 70 to 100? That's the usual passing maneuver
around here. Granny is doing 70 on a 75 mph road. Pull out and you'll be
there forever if you just accelerate to 75 so you nail it and keep it
nailed. Usually you're doing 90+ by the time you get back in your lane.
With someone coming at you at 80, you close fast.

We don't have roads with speed limits that high unless they're motorways (freeways) with seperate carriageways for each direction, i.e. 2+ lanes West and 2+ lanes East.

I guess your roads are longer straights, in which case I don't foresee a problem. If you can't se far enough ahead to complete the overtake, don't overtake, or encourage the granny to pull into the next layby.

Sunrise and sunset are particularly bad. I avoid driving into the sun
wherever possible.

Don't you have visors and sunglasses over there?

--
Golfer: "Please stop checking your watch all the time, caddy. It's distracting!"
Caddy: "This isn't a watch Sir, it's a compass!"