Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Idiot lights-out drivers

On Mon, 29 Feb 2016 23:18:47 -0000, wrote:

On Mon, 29 Feb 2016 16:42:22 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

On 2/29/2016 4:13 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 17:24:32 -0000, Muggles
wrote:

On 2/13/2016 1:01 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/12/2016 09:24 PM, wrote:
The edge does NOT go away. Wheather a bike or a car, SOMETHING is
occupying the road ahead coming your direction. Hitting a car head on
isn't going to do any less damage to you than hitting a bike - - -

Considering I'm the guy on the bike, I'd prefer some moron didn't hit me
head on, or what is much more common, blissfully make a left hand turn
in front of me because they 'didn't see' me. Car drivers only see other
cars. Anything smaller than a minivan is off their radar completely.
They *might* notice a headlight, but if it's just one little headlight
in a stream of DRL's, they're going to ignore it.

A lady in a mini-van looked straight at a motor cyclist coming towards
her in the opposite lane and still turned left in front of him. The guy
on the motor cycle ended up laying the motor cycle down on it's side and
he got injured. She did stop at that point and took responsibility for
her actions.

Women were never designed to operate motor vehicles.

So, what's the punch line?

Macaw's jaw.

Want a mud wrestle? What's your breast size?

--
"Cowpoke" - someone who does not use cows for their intended purpose.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Mar 2016 02:21:10 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/29/2016 01:21 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Yes, it probably didn't matter if you crashed it (although your premiums
would go up), but my point is nobody should ever buy a new car. They
cost way more than a 2nd hand one.

I bought my pickup new in '86. What difference, at this point, does it make?

The extra money you would have had to spend on other things.

--
Time that you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time -- Marthe Troly-Curtin

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 01 Mar 2016 02:30:02 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/29/2016 03:17 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Why the **** is someone watering their lawn when it's cold enough to
freeze? At that temperature, the lawn won't be growing and doesn't
need watering!

Automatic sprinklers. The site in question is a business plaza. All the
landscaping is done by contractors. In the spring, they'll turn the
irrigation, check the heads, and set the timers. In the fall, generally
late October, they'll shut it down and blow out the lines. No thought
goes into it.

Surely a landscaper knows when grass starts growing.

--
When a man steals your wife, there is no better revenge than to let him keep her.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 04 Mar 2016 03:06:26 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 03/03/2016 07:55 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Fri, 04 Mar 2016 02:33:44 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 03/03/2016 12:04 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Don't the portguweez speak Spanish too?

**** no.

Nu...nu...nu...nu...near enough.

Don't the British speak Norsk?

Why would we?

--
Next time you wave at me, use more than one finger please.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/07/2016 12:11 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

The extra money you would have had to spend on other things.

What other things? I live pretty simply and I can't think of anything
else that I wanted to spend money on at that time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/07/2016 12:12 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Surely a landscaper knows when grass starts growing.

Most of the landscaping crews I've seen know a lot about grass but
they're more oriented toward smoking it than growing it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/07/2016 03:11 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Fri, 04 Mar 2016 03:06:26 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 03/03/2016 07:55 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Fri, 04 Mar 2016 02:33:44 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 03/03/2016 12:04 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Don't the portguweez speak Spanish too?

**** no.

Nu...nu...nu...nu...near enough.

Don't the British speak Norsk?

Why would we?

That's the question the Portuguese would ask about speaking Spanish.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Mar 2016 18:46:45 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 03/06/2016 08:00 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Should have let him win. Now look at the mess the world is in.

I doubt Arabs would be molesting white women in Koln.

If you were an Arab and your choice was a white woman or an ugly Arab bint, which would you choose?

--
Illegal is a big sick bird.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Mar 2016 19:23:02 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 03/06/2016 09:06 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
What is that to do with accents? Accents allow you to make the
distinction in spelling that you would otherwise only be able to hear..
Your example is the opposite of this.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/76558...eretheirtheyre

In Old English, there was 'þǽr', and their was something entirely
different. þaire was a loan word for 'their'. Throw out the accents and
you have two homophones; the spellings differ but the spoken word is the
same.

But writing accents does not link to pronouncing things differently. Bough and trough are pronounced differently, you just have to remember how to pronounce them instead of being told by the accent.

Meanwhile it kept the conjugation I am, you are, he is, they are
instead of the sensible Norwegian jeg er, du er, han er, de er.

I don't speak Norwegian so I don't know what your point is there.

While English dropped a lot of the complexity it kept a few oddities.
Old English is closer to modern German as far as inflexions and word
order. The Old Norse and Norman French influences led to changes.

Anyway, English managed to retain conjugation in person and number where
Norwegian dropped it mostly. So, for the present tense of 'to be',
you've got am, is, and are, depending on the person or number, where in
Norwegian, it's all 'er'. I er, you er, she er, etc.

That will go soon. Some people already use those interchangeably.

At least English doesn't have gender like France and Germany, that's crazy! I forget which word it is, but something like "bra" in French is masculine!

Just another complexity for someone trying to learn English although
it's not as hard as some languages. I just find it interesting how far
the children of proto-Germanic have diverged. Probably the purest to its
roots is modern Icelandic which is basically Old Norse in a time warp.
Maintaining purity is easier if you're a little out of the way island.

--
Tower: "Delta 351, you have traffic at 10 o'clock, 6 miles!"
Delta 351: "Give us another hint! We have digital watches!"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Mar 2016 23:12:12 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 03/06/2016 01:30 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

I've not heard of anything in that entire paragraph.

No 'Downton Abbey'?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downton_Abbey

Nah, I don't like dramas.

There's a common belief that the Germans ship their second rate batches
of beer to the US. Perhaps the Brits sell their less that successful TV
shows to the US PBS for the American Cousins to lap up?

Dunno, I brew my own alcohol. 10 times cheaper.

'Jack Taylor' is a flawed private investigator in Galway. I enjoy it but
it gets mixed reviews. Glen's Irish accent isn't up to snuff and most of
it is filmed in Bremen, presumably because it's cheaper than Galway. It
fit's in with the US technique of filming series a long way from where
they supposedly are set using British or Australian actors.

--
Join the Navy and feel a man!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/08/2016 01:04 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sun, 06 Mar 2016 18:46:45 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 03/06/2016 08:00 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Should have let him win. Now look at the mess the world is in.

I doubt Arabs would be molesting white women in Koln.

If you were an Arab and your choice was a white woman or an ugly Arab
bint, which would you choose?

Were I Chancellor of Germany, the choice would be between an ugly Arab
bint or a goat of indeterminate sex in some **** hole in Arabia. But I'm
not. One can only hope AfD prospers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/08/2016 01:06 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
But writing accents does not link to pronouncing things differently.
Bough and trough are pronounced differently, you just have to remember
how to pronounce them instead of being told by the accent.

Throw in slough for good measure.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/slough

And for hough you just have to roll the dice. Then there was the gym
instructor in high school who asked me how to pronounce my last name.

At least English doesn't have gender like France and Germany, that's
crazy! I forget which word it is, but something like "bra" in French is
masculine!

It pops up now and then as in ships and countries. Then there is the
sun and the moon. In English poetic usage the sun is masculine and the
moon is feminine which probably goes back to Latin via the French
invasion. In German it's die Sonne and der Mond, switching genders. Lee
Hollander was a Norse literature scholar that translated a lot of Old
Norse writing. He took a bit of flack for making the sun masculine in
the translation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2016 10:30 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 03/08/2016 01:07 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Dunno, I brew my own alcohol. 10 times cheaper.

Brewing beer is quite the hobby these days. I made some back in the '60s
before you could drop into the local brewing supply house and get
different malts, yeasts, and so forth. It was still, warm, and bitter.
You might have enjoyed it but I went back to Rheingold on tap.

We've made wine before, but never beer. I'm partial to merlot. There's
one light beer that I can tolerate, but don't really like the bitter
taste of most beers.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Mar 2016 23:25:13 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 03/06/2016 01:32 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Don't you have visors and sunglasses over there?

Don't you ever have to drive directly into the sun?

Yes, it's not a problem. Polaroid sunglasses make it easy, otherwise just squint your eyes and drive more carefully.

--
Isn't making a smoking section in a restaurant like making a peeing section in a swimming pool?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Mar 2016 23:30:56 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 03/06/2016 02:36 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
I get on whatever side is easiest. But outside a car, you can't easily
see in, so you get in the side that means you need to shuffle past the
gearshifter.

In my car, that might involve losing a testicle or two. Something a
friend and I noticed was in films from the '30s and 40's the actors
often entered or exited from the off side of the car. It certainly was a
lot easier in the era of bench seats but still looked odd. My friend
opined it might have made for a better or easier camera shot.

Some modern cars have a strange lump in the middle. Nobody knows what it's for. For example this Ford Mondeo:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...ture004-16.jpg

Unless you have very short very skinny legs, it's exceedingly cramped. I just don't see the need for that lump in the middle where all the buttons are. Why does it have to stick out so much?

--
I got into trouble on my last date.
I didn't open the car door for her.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/08/2016 02:04 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
--
Illegal is a big sick bird.

Sexist is a f***ing expert.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Mar 2016 23:42:54 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 03/06/2016 02:52 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

They occasionally use that here, it's crap. It destroys the bottom of
everyone's car. They usually put up a temporary 20mph speed limit so
you don't fling stones at other cars' windshields, but I don't care
about someone else's windshields, so I go as fast as possible.

They don't bother with the temporary speed limits here. More work for
the chip repair businesses so it's good for the economy, Bastiat be damned.

I ignore chips. Unless it's the windscreen and it cracks, then the police start moaning at me to get it replaced.

--
The planet Neptune has barely completed one orbit since it was discovered in 1846.
Pluto hasn't completed a full orbit since its discovery, and won't until March 23, 2178.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Mar 2016 23:59:39 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 03/06/2016 03:34 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Nothing at all? Not even annual test for the lights and tyres?

No. Again it's an anecdotal personal observation but if anything I see
fewer rolling wrecks than in states with rigorous inspection requirements.

It may be like vehicle insurance. One study found that states with
rigorous requirements for insurance have the same percentage of
uninsured drivers as states with no requirements at all.

We have quite a lot.

So some of your states have no insurance? How does that work in an accident? Do you have to chase the person at fault for the money?

--
Barry bit Ben's bum before Betty bumfingered big Bertha's buttocks beside Brian's burning bonfire. -- Ronnie Tompkins, circa 2014.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 07 Mar 2016 00:09:01 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 03/06/2016 03:35 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Regular mail is a flat fee. For 49 cents I can send a letter to my next
door neighbor or to a friend 3000 miles away.

Then there are the flat rate boxes... A sometimes do business with a
firm that sells cast lead bullets. They ship in the flat rate boxes.
With a careful selection of 9mm and .45 bullets you can get close to the
70# limit in a medium size box. I'm sure the mail handlers love those.

I just bought some polystyrene insulation to do up my garage, by mail order. The equivalent of two double bed mattresses in size. I guess the driver who arrived hadn't loaded the lorry himself, because he was pleasantly surprised that they weighed virtually nothing.

--
7 wheelchair athletes have been banned from the Paralympics after they tested positive for WD40.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 07 Mar 2016 00:12:58 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 03/06/2016 04:03 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
I guess with letters, the sorting is more effort than the carrying, as
you get 1000s of them in a truck.

I never got into the rates involved but when I was trucking several
times I loaded Avon (a cosmetics manufacturer) product in Chicago and
delivered them to post offices. Apparently it was less expensive to use
a private carrier for the long leg and the PO for local delivery.

That happens here and the PO gets ****ed off. Some government thing where the PO ends up subsidising it.

--
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one -- George Bernard Shaw

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 07 Mar 2016 00:23:38 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 03/06/2016 03:53 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

I like reading the comments on the online tracking when it goes to the
wrong hub and someone gets irritated when they have to correct the mistake.

I'd ordered a motorcycle tank repair kit and was tracking it. Things
were going well until it got to Denver where it was noted the package
was leaking and was returned to the sender. Since the kit consisted of a
phosphoric acid etch and an epoxy based seal coat, I wondered which was
leaking.

There had already been delays in shipping so I canceled and purchased
the materials locally. Like most of my hardware store expeditions, what
I bought had nothing to do with its intended use.

Our PO gets really annoyed when people send stuff like that. They have absurd restrictions now. I sent an aerosol can through the post and received a rude letter form the PO saying they had "confiscated and destroyed it". I think you can't even send more batteries than 4 AAs.

--
gods don't smite people anymore because people of many different religions now living in the same town.
No god wants to accidentally smite the wrong person and get sued by another god.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 07 Mar 2016 01:04:04 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 03/06/2016 04:03 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

I hate that style of music. Funnily enough my sig contains something
better.

I'll agree that one is slow and boring to play. I prefer something with
a better melody:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGEuMxQDW04

Whoever filmed the video seemed to have been captivated by Joan.

The drummer? She's damn hot!

--
40,000 Americans are injured by toilets each year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/09/2016 01:40 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Yes, it's not a problem. Polaroid sunglasses make it easy, otherwise
just squint your eyes and drive more carefully.

A welding hood might make it easy...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/09/2016 01:42 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Unless you have very short very skinny legs, it's exceedingly cramped.
I just don't see the need for that lump in the middle where all the
buttons are. Why does it have to stick out so much?

Mine is similar except I added the optional arm rest.

http://www.moibbk.com/images/toyota-...interior-7.jpg

I assume they had to do something for the shift linkage and dolled it up
with the junk tray, cup holder, and jack for the MP3 player. I'm 6'1"
and find the car comfortable but there's no way you're going to get from
the passenger door to the drivers seat without singing falsetto.

otoh, you're not going to take an unexpected trip to the wrong side
during spirited driving like the old vinyl covered bench seats. I was an
early adopter of lap belts for that reason. When I asked my girlfriend
to fasten her she knew life was going to get interesting. I liked her
and all, but I didn't want her winding up in my lap until we were
stationary.

I'm past that part of my life but making out in a Yaris would truly
suck. More accurately, I don't think sucking would even be on the menu
without extreme care.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/09/2016 01:53 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

I ignore chips. Unless it's the windscreen and it cracks, then the
police start moaning at me to get it replaced.

The police here could give a damn. Collect enough chips though and in
sub-zero temps cracks start running between them. I suppose someday the
windshield in my pickup will fall out on my lap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/09/2016 01:54 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

So some of your states have no insurance? How does that work in an
accident? Do you have to chase the person at fault for the money?

I think most states now have insurance requirements but that doesn't
mean people have insurance. There's an 'uninsured motorist' option that
is $20 a year or some other trivial amount. Bikes in this state do not
have to be insured but I carry it anyway.

The last time I got stopped I whipped out my deck of insurance cards (3
bikes, a car, and a pickup) and didn't have an up to date one for the
vehicle. The insurance was current but I'd been lax in updating the
cards. The speeding fine was negligible but the lack of proof of
insurance was several hundred bucks. No problem, I just had to go to the
courthouse and produce proof and that was dropped from the ticket but I
found out how serious they are about uninsured vehicles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/09/2016 01:56 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
I just bought some polystyrene insulation to do up my garage, by mail
order. The equivalent of two double bed mattresses in size. I guess
the driver who arrived hadn't loaded the lorry himself, because he was
pleasantly surprised that they weighed virtually nothing.

--

I got a friend's kid a Playmobil farm set for Christmas that came in a
huge box. The driver probably was nervous given some of the stuff I get

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/09/2016 01:57 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

That happens here and the PO gets ****ed off. Some government thing
where the PO ends up subsidising it.

Netflix DVD's are probably keeping the PO in business and for a while
Netflix was getting the red carpet treatment. Then some asshole from
another mail rental company bitched about the favoritism. The PO went
back to their snail mail mode.

Luckily, anyone can encode an envelope and request to be notified when
the PO scans it in so Netflix counts it as returned three days before
they ever physically get it.

It was an interesting lesson in what the PO can do when they aren't
screwing the pooch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/09/2016 01:59 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Our PO gets really annoyed when people send stuff like that. They have
absurd restrictions now. I sent an aerosol can through the post and
received a rude letter form the PO saying they had "confiscated and
destroyed it". I think you can't even send more batteries than 4 AAs.

The PO is fairly ****y but UPS is much more liberal. They'll even handle
HazMat shipments like ammunition components although there's a
surcharge. In some sort of bureaucratic logic, loaded ammo isn't Hazmat,
just powder and primers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/09/2016 02:00 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
The drummer? She's damn hot!

None of them are all that bad. Even Marie doesn't look that goofy in person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QTzNgOsB2g

We have a Celtic Fest in the summer and they often show up.
Unfortunately their tour dates show them in Dayton, OH on 29 July this
year. They split traditional and original pop so it's always a good
show. They throw some songs like 'The Boys of the Old Brigade' into the
mix unlike most of the groups that stay away from republican songs.
Fortunately this isn't Glasgow and they aren't the Celtic F.C.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 03:17:16 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 03/09/2016 01:40 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Yes, it's not a problem. Polaroid sunglasses make it easy, otherwise
just squint your eyes and drive more carefully.

A welding hood might make it easy...

There is clearly something wrong with your eyes. Most eyes adjust to a very wide range of brightnesses.

--
While the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife has remained largely unheralded.
Its single blade functions as a tiny canoe paddle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 03:33:55 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 03/09/2016 01:42 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Unless you have very short very skinny legs, it's exceedingly cramped.
I just don't see the need for that lump in the middle where all the
buttons are. Why does it have to stick out so much?

Mine is similar except I added the optional arm rest.

http://www.moibbk.com/images/toyota-...interior-7.jpg

That has more room than the one I pictured, which a friend owns and I've been the passenger in. I felt my legs were being pushed together, and it was difficult to go off to sleep on a long journey.

I assume they had to do something for the shift linkage

Then why do older cars manage? It's modern cars that have less room, shift linkages aren't bigger than before.

and dolled it up
with the junk tray, cup holder, and jack for the MP3 player. I'm 6'1"
and find the car comfortable but there's no way you're going to get from
the passenger door to the drivers seat without singing falsetto.

otoh, you're not going to take an unexpected trip to the wrong side
during spirited driving like the old vinyl covered bench seats.

You don't need a huge centre console to stop that, just bucket seats, which every powerful car had (my VW Golf 1.9 litre turbo diesel auto has bucket seats as standard.

I was an
early adopter of lap belts for that reason. When I asked my girlfriend
to fasten her she knew life was going to get interesting. I liked her
and all, but I didn't want her winding up in my lap until we were
stationary.

By lap belts, do you mean seatbelts or something special? When driving I find that since I'm holding the steering wheel, I don't fall out of the seat and have no need for a belt.

I'm past that part of my life but making out in a Yaris would truly
suck. More accurately, I don't think sucking would even be on the menu
without extreme care.

I've had a blowjob in a Ford Sierra while driving along.

--
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 03:36:01 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 03/09/2016 01:53 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

I ignore chips. Unless it's the windscreen and it cracks, then the
police start moaning at me to get it replaced.

The police here could give a damn.

You mean COULDN'T give a damn. If they COULD give a damn that means that they want to give a damn, and they care about it.

Collect enough chips though and in
sub-zero temps cracks start running between them. I suppose someday the
windshield in my pickup will fall out on my lap.

There's actually a maximum length of crack/chip allowed here for the annual test -I think it's 1 inch or maybe half an inch, but only in the driver's half of the window. I think it's the part which the drivers side wiper clears.

--
Mixed emotions are when your mother-in-law drives your new Ferrari off the cliff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/03/2016 17:39, Mr Macaw wrote:
[...]

Me too, but in an Opel Monza :-)

--
Bod

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 Mar 2016 02:23:29 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 03/07/2016 12:11 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

The extra money you would have had to spend on other things.

What other things? I live pretty simply and I can't think of anything
else that I wanted to spend money on at that time.

You lack imagination. If nothing else, holidays and giving to charity.

--
"Why do the birds fly south to Africa in the autumn?"
"Because it's too far for them to walk."