Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Idiot lights-out drivers

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 17:47:44 +0000, Bod wrote:

On 16/02/2016 17:26, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 17:12:19 -0000, Bod wrote:

On 16/02/2016 15:30, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 04:13:30 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/15/2016 01:06 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Now that's surprising, I didn't know there were many Germans over
there. Didn't you guys fight the Germans in WWII?

Yeah, and WWI too. If we'd let the Kaiser knock some humility into you
you couldn't have screwed up the mid-East, the Balkans, and triggered
WWII by that slimy deal at Versailles in cahoots with the French.

There was dissent about the US entry into WWI but Woodrow 'He kept us
out of war' Wilson was fast on his feet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schenc...nd_of_the_case

If the Germans and the Irish had their way, you'd be speaking German
now. Like your royal family, come to think of it. Windsor is so much
easier to say than Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.

I like the Germans, they are way more sensible than most. Plus they
would have cleared up the mess.

Merkel has created a mess with her immigration policies

Modern Germans are too PC.

and VW have completely cocked up, big time.

No, the environmentalists cocked up big time. I will from now on ONLY
buy a VW, they had the guts to cheat the stupid greenie laws.

No, they had the stupidity to cheat. Pretty stupid in my opinion.

The fact Macaw thinks they should bd commended for it says a lot
more about Macaw than about VW, for sure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 21:46:37 -0000, wrote:

[...]

All it says is I'm completely against environmentalism.

--
A Woman's Rule of Thumb: If it has tyres or testicles, you're going to have trouble with it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 18:06:14 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 05:05:44 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/15/2016 03:57 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

What is "UPS"? To me that's a device used to prevent power outages to
something important like a computer.

United Parcel Service. They're big brown trucks that bring all the good
things of life to your doorstep.

Oh, don't you have competition there? There is no one main courier here.

One of the "Main", as in "biggest" among many. Lots of competition.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 12:23:28 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

On 2/16/2016 12:02 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 17:37:30 -0000, Muggles
wrote:

On 2/16/2016 11:33 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 17:28:55 -0000, Muggles
wrote:

Variety is the spice of life, after all. Perspective is everything.

I never took Philosophy.

Me neither.

You sounded philosophical.

I guess I do sound that way, sometimes.

Philosophers are born, not made
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 22:17:09 -0000, wrote:

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 18:06:14 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 05:05:44 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/15/2016 03:57 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

What is "UPS"? To me that's a device used to prevent power outages to
something important like a computer.

United Parcel Service. They're big brown trucks that bring all the good
things of life to your doorstep.

Oh, don't you have competition there? There is no one main courier here.

One of the "Main", as in "biggest" among many. Lots of competition.

It's just that you used "UPS" interchangeably with "courier", like we say "Hoover" instead of "vacuum cleaner", because they all used to be made by Hoover.

--
Mother: "Why are you home from school so early?"
Son: "I was the only one who could answer my maths teacher's question."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Variety is the spice of life, after all. Perspective is everything.

I never took Philosophy.

Me neither.

You sounded philosophical.

I guess I do sound that way, sometimes.

Philosophers are born, not made

Prove it.

--
A woman walks into a drugstore and asks the pharmacist if he sells size extra large condoms.
He replies, "Yes we do. Would you like to buy some?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 18:59:11 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

You do realise your eye has an iris which works like the aperture in a camera?

Sure do

Clearly not. The point is if a bright light is shone into your eye, everything else becomes darker. The amount of light required to attract your attention is an order of magnitude less than the amount required to illuminate what's in front of you. That's why dipped beam brightness of lights should only be used in the dark.

You are just being an ass. DRLs are not "shining in your eyes" in
daylight from half a mile away. They are headlights at half intensity.
They have virtually no effect on your eyes, as in "closing the iris" -

but when you are taking a picture you are not travelling at
100kph through mixed sunlight and shadow, taking a picture of a
subject doing the same coming towards you that you are not expecting
to be in the picture, generally speaking.

You don't expect cars to be coming the other way?!

Sure you do - but you don;t know exactly where, and when you pull out
to pass (or overtake as you Brits and Scotts and Irishmen say) it is
a lot easier to see a day-lit car coming than a non-lighted car

And not seeing something in
the picture doesn't mean you will end up dead and demolished because
you didn't see it.

Pulling out to pass on 2 lane blacktop tends to have serious
consequenses when that unseen object ends up in your "viewfinder" just
after you "click the shutter"

You don't pull out unless you can see there is clear road.

And it is a lot easier to see you don't have a clear road when all
cars are "day-lit"

It's obvious you are either totally clueless or enjoy "playing the
prick"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 19:05:17 +0000, Bod wrote:

On 16/02/2016 18:26, SeaNymph wrote:
On 2/16/2016 11:17 AM, Bod wrote:
On 16/02/2016 16:51, Muggles wrote:
On 2/16/2016 1:33 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Muggles wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 23:06:04 -0700, rbowman
wrote:
We may be divided, but we're still connected with
ties we'll never be able to break.

More's the pity.

Why do you say that?

I have no reason to like Britain. I suppose the people
are okay but their leaders did their best to screw up
the world and sucked in fools like Wilson and
Roosevelt.

Ok. I understand... Not much we can do about the past. I like
people,
or at least try to find a reason if I can. Governments .... not so
much.

I am not good at driving on the wrong side of the road, LOL!

I don't think I would be, either. lol

I've driven in the USA and it didn't take long to get used to
driving on the right.

I found adjusting to driving on the left pretty easy.
I had a bigger problem remembering which side of the car to get in g

Lol, I can understand that. A few times a walked round to the wrong side
in the States.

I won't be wasting time or breath responding dictly to the Macaw
idiot anymore - he's Plonked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 22:28:42 -0000, wrote:

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 18:59:11 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

You do realise your eye has an iris which works like the aperture in a camera?
Sure do

Clearly not. The point is if a bright light is shone into your eye, everything else becomes darker. The amount of light required to attract your attention is an order of magnitude less than the amount required to illuminate what's in front of you. That's why dipped beam brightness of lights should only be used in the dark.

You are just being an ass. DRLs are not "shining in your eyes" in
daylight from half a mile away. They are headlights at half intensity.
They have virtually no effect on your eyes, as in "closing the iris" -

DRLS can be any brightness from sidelights to more than headlights (50% more to be precise). And they do prevent you seeing the outline of the vehicle they're on. You cannot tell the speed of it or see where the edge of it is so easily, both are very important when approaching it!

but when you are taking a picture you are not travelling at
100kph through mixed sunlight and shadow, taking a picture of a
subject doing the same coming towards you that you are not expecting
to be in the picture, generally speaking.

You don't expect cars to be coming the other way?!

Sure you do - but you don;t know exactly where, and when you pull out
to pass (or overtake as you Brits and Scotts and Irishmen say) it is
a lot easier to see a day-lit car coming than a non-lighted car

If you see anything but clear road, or you aren't sure, then don't pass, it's not rocket science.

If you can mistake an unlit car IN BROAD DAYLIGHT for a blank piece of road, for ****'s sake stop driving before you kill someone.

--
The world's largest fruit are giant pumpkins. The world record is 1061lbs (481.3 kg).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 05:09:40 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/15/2016 12:14 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
So you're admitting you're just young uns?

The US is trying to set a new record from birth to third world country.

Here's a titbit of information. Americans say tidbit because titbit sounds rude. And you call us prudish!

--
Two crows together is an attempted murder.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/16/2016 09:43 AM, Bod wrote:
On 16/02/2016 15:00, rbowman wrote:
On 02/16/2016 02:19 AM, Bod wrote:

Oh dear, you do realise that there are 55 countries that drive on the
left?

afaik, they all had some sort of British influence. I don't think any
invented it on their own.

Samoa chose to change to driving on the left in 2009.

The Kiwis finally addled their minds... There is a economic advantage
to buying from Australia, New Zealand, and Japan when you live in that
part of the world.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/16/2016 10:08 AM, Bod wrote:
On 16/02/2016 15:06, rbowman wrote:
On 02/16/2016 01:46 AM, Bod wrote:
We like each others music, you're even falling in love with our
football(soccer to you), a lot of English like to watch American
football, you're even starting to play more and more matches in England
and the stadiums are always a sellout. Americans love visiting our
country and vice versa.
Unless you've been living in a cave, you would know all this.

Yeah, we have you to thank for soccer moms. Great.

No one forced you.

Kicking a ball around the pasture comes naturally. Almost all cultures
have had some variation on the theme. Locally, Rugby and Australian
rules seem to be preferred.

Fortunately the quintessential British game, cricket, has been a no
sale. We prefer to bore ourselves to death with baseball. iirc in
Patrick Ryan's novel 'How I Won the War' when they wanted to string the
wogs out they would throw out a baited line 'That wouldn't be cricket'.
The poor, benighted natives would ask "What's cricket?" An endless
explanation would follow with the natives eventually wandering off,
having forgotten why they came.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/16/2016 09:00 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per rbowman:
I like Mankell's books and the series is better than most US crime
dramas. That's the Swedish one with Krister Henriksson. I've never seen
the BBC version.

Everybody's seen The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, right?

I have both the Swedish and English versions and, if you have only seen
the English version, I would say the Swedish version is worth watching.

Rooney Mara does a decent job, but Noomi Rapace really nails it - plus
the Swedish version has more/better detail/subtleties than the English.

I've never seen the English version but have seen the Swedish trilogy. I
haven't read 'The Girl in the Spider's Web' yet. There was some
controversy when Lagercrantz took over after Larsson's death.

I've been reading Asa Larsson (no relation afaik) in German. The Germans
love their Schweden Krimi and a lot of the Scandinavian stuff gets
translated into German before English.

http://www.schwedenkrimi.de/

Bron/Broen is good too. It was remade as 'The Bridge' in the US. I
enjoyed that but prefer the original. I haven't seen the latest season
after Kim Bodnia quit though. C'mom Netflix...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/16/2016 10:07 AM, SeaNymph wrote:
I haven't read the books, I'll have to check them out.

His first Wallander was written in 1991 ad is 'Faceless Killers' in
English. A subtext is the problem with immigrants, so that's nothing new
although in the '90s I believe it was more eastern Europeans. It's only
a short dash across the Baltic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/16/2016 10:23 AM, Bod wrote:
Do you get one of our very popular programs called QI?
Up till last week Stephen Fry hosted it.

i don't watch enough TV to be a good sample, but I've never heard of it.
Our public broadcasting network picks up stuff like 'Downton Abbey' and
'Doc Martin' that I've had glimpses of while surfing past. I think
'Benny Hill' reruns have mercifully vanished although there is some
other strange comedy. I've never quite gotten it and that includes the
much loved Monty Python.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/16/2016 3:30 PM, sms wrote:

Just drove in the mountains this past weekend. Have to take a deep
breath. So many drivers don't know what "Slower Traffic Use Turnouts"
means. So many drivers constantly drifting across the double yellow
line. So many drivers constantly braking on steep winding roads rather
than driving in a lower gear and using engine braking on steep hills.

Lower gear? I bet 80% of the drivers have no idea they even have gears,
just D and R

I go down a long hill every day. I shift from 8th to 4th and maintain
the same safe speed. I see others constantly hitting the brakes. Some
never get off the pedal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/16/2016 10:31 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Ah, he's moving to America.
http://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-n...ng-off-Twitter

How the hell did he get that young thing? I guess it's the money.

Oh, that Fry... I saw something today on a tech site about him dumping
twitter because of the twits that live there. I saw 'V for Vendetta' so
I guess I've seen Fry but Rea is the one I remember.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/16/2016 1:55 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 18:19:16 -0000, Bod wrote:

If I get caught, then it only affects me. VW affected millions and is
costing them many millions of pounds and ruined their good reputation.

They affected only themselves, WTF are you talking about?

They affected everyone that will no longer get the MPG promised.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/16/2016 11:26 AM, Don Y wrote:
Growing up in New England, the sizes of "those big square states" was
simply incomprehensible. E.g., NYC to Boston in 4 hours (3 states)...
4.5 if you want to swing by RI!

We'd easily hit three states on a casual Sunday drive. That's sort of
cheating since we were close to the VT and MA borders so just going to
Bennington, down to Pittsfield, and back would get it done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 21:41:48 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/16/2016 1:55 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 18:19:16 -0000, Bod wrote:

If I get caught, then it only affects me. VW affected millions and is
costing them many millions of pounds and ruined their good reputation.

They affected only themselves, WTF are you talking about?

They affected everyone that will no longer get the MPG promised.

or the resale value.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/16/2016 10:12 AM, Bod wrote:
Merkel has created a mess with her immigration policies and VW have
completely cocked up, big time.

I'd have to agree Merkel finally stepped in Scheiss. AfD is gaining
ground and even her coalition partners are getting ugly. I can't get all
that worked up about VW though. It's not like all manufacturers don't
game the system.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/16/2016 10:26 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Modern Germans are too PC.

The entire world has been breathing down their necks and the Lügenpresse
has been all to willing to beat their breasts. Say anything other than
"We love all of God's critters' and they scream neo-Nazi. Like the
little boy that cried wolf, won't they be surprised if the real thing
shows up.

and VW have completely cocked up, big time.

No, the environmentalists cocked up big time. I will from now on ONLY
buy a VW, they had the guts to cheat the stupid greenie laws.

Oddly for a member of my generation I've never owned a VW and only drove
a Beetle about 100' to move it away from a loading dock. The closest
I've come was an Audi. Maybe I should hunt up an old bug with worn rings
and a shot carb to be environmentally correct.

They finally built a diesel that wasn't more suited for a farm tractor
and got nailed for bending the profile a bit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/16/2016 2:40 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Pulling out to pass when you can't be sure the other side is empty is
****ing stupid.

You are right - but you would think it was all clear because you can;t
see the car hiding in the dhadows with no lights.

You can't see something in the shade? How did you even get a license?

You evidently are superhuman. The human eye has limits to what it can
perceive. On a very bright sunny day it is possible not to see
something in the shadow. One morning I saw a car approaching. It was
not until we were much closer did I see the car in front of it. Unusual
circumstance, but it can happen. Not to you, of course.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/16/2016 10:47 AM, Bod wrote:
No, they had the stupidity to cheat. Pretty stupid in my opinion.

Stupidity to get caught... I don't know about Europe but in the US lying
about fuel economy and power is business as usual.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/16/2016 11:55 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

They affected only themselves, WTF are you talking about?

I haven't followed it long term but when the news first broke there was
talk about the resale value plummeting. At least in the US it didn't
happen, and many drivers took the stance of 'It's running great. Like
hell you're going to fix it.'
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 19:50:45 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 02/16/2016 11:26 AM, Don Y wrote:
Growing up in New England, the sizes of "those big square states" was
simply incomprehensible. E.g., NYC to Boston in 4 hours (3 states)...
4.5 if you want to swing by RI!

We'd easily hit three states on a casual Sunday drive. That's sort of
cheating since we were close to the VT and MA borders so just going to
Bennington, down to Pittsfield, and back would get it done.

To get out of province without leaving the country is better than 5
hours going east and about 18 going west. Can't get out by road going
north.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 20:03:57 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

[...]

I've owned 2. A 1949 Beetle and a 1966 Rabbit (in Agate brown)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/16/2016 08:31 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Irish policeman, egad!

Tended to be a family business. I like Tom Selleck and he stars in a TV
series 'Blue Bloods' set in NYC. Selleck is the police commisioner, his
father, played by Len Cariou, is the retired PC, two of the sons are
cops, and the third was a cop that was killed on duty. The daughter is
an assistant district attorney. Just a big Irish Catholic family. In
some areas it isn't too far from the truth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Americans

The Irish cop or politician is a stereotype and stereotypes always have
some basis in reality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Americans

Germans were more diverse and blended better. Ben Franklin published the
first German newspaper, Die Philadelphische Zeitung, in 1732. It failed
and he didn't have much good to say about Germans after that. Maybe it
was because they were the majority in many areas that they are more
casual about their ethnic roots. There's not too much romance about the
Auld Sod and all that stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/16/2016 7:32 PM, rbowman wrote:

i don't watch enough TV to be a good sample, but I've never heard of it. Our
public broadcasting network picks up stuff like 'Downton Abbey' and 'Doc
Martin' that I've had glimpses of while surfing past. I think 'Benny Hill'
reruns have mercifully vanished although there is some other strange comedy.
I've never quite gotten it and that includes the much loved Monty Python.

I'd be remiss if I didn't put in a plug for _Coupling_.
More laughs per minute than (almost [1]) anything "made in
the USA" that I've seen!

(MPython was pretty lame, IMO)

"Shadayim! Shadayim!"

[1] SOAP being the notable exception.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/16/2016 7:50 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/16/2016 11:26 AM, Don Y wrote:
Growing up in New England, the sizes of "those big square states" was
simply incomprehensible. E.g., NYC to Boston in 4 hours (3 states)...
4.5 if you want to swing by RI!

We'd easily hit three states on a casual Sunday drive. That's sort of cheating
since we were close to the VT and MA borders so just going to Bennington, down
to Pittsfield, and back would get it done.

Yeah, but that's traveling between nowhere and nowhere else.
NYC, New Haven/Greenwich, Hartford, Springfield, Boston (or
the route through Providence) are sizeable places.

Here, I can be in Mex in less time than the nearest US city!

:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/16/2016 08:32 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Thailand Triumphs?

Afraid so...

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2011/1...h-motorcycles/

At least in the US if the VIN has a J it's from Jacknell Rd, Hinckley, T
for Chonburi. There's a Brazil branch but afaik that's strictly an
assembly operation to beat the import tariffs.

I looked at them a couple of years ago and didn't see any quality
difference. Nice bikes, but I went with a Suzuki. Not as cool looking as
a Bonnie, but it gets the job done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/16/2016 08:33 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Watching Top Gear UK, they're always listing the horsepowers of American
cars using the SAME ENGINE as a non-American car, and it's always
considerably less.

Horsepower in US manufacturer claims is closely related to horse****.
Always has been.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/16/2016 10:32 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
American football is a health and softy version of Rugby.

Trust me, our Maggots can kick balls with the best of them.

http://www.maggots.org/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/16/2016 11:06 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 05:05:44 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/15/2016 03:57 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

What is "UPS"? To me that's a device used to prevent power outages to
something important like a computer.

United Parcel Service. They're big brown trucks that bring all the good
things of life to your doorstep.

Oh, don't you have competition there? There is no one main courier here.

There is competition like FedEx that tends to suck. Amazon mostly uses
UPS so I see the guy in brown often. There are local couriers but it
takes a lot of infrastructure to service the US. The lower 48 states
alone are over 3 million square miles versus 94 thousand for the UK.

iirc in 'Small is Beautiful' Schumacher talked about the inefficiencies
of two lorries passing each other on the motorway as each carried
biscuits from their city to the other city where the cities were 100
miles apart. When I was trucking I'd load carpet in LA, take it to
Dalton, GA, load Georgia carpet and take it back to LA. They're 2100
miles apart. The transportation industry in the US is utterly insane. To
succeed as a parcel carrier you need a lot of planes, trucks, and
warehouses.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/16/2016 12:10 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
The Irish simply need to understand they are in Britain and we are in
control.

Living back in the glory days again? I see they finally got around to
slapping the wrist of one of the Paras from Bloody Sunday. That took
long enough.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/16/2016 9:44 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/16/2016 08:31 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Irish policeman, egad!

Tended to be a family business. I like Tom Selleck and he stars in a TV
series 'Blue Bloods' set in NYC. Selleck is the police commisioner, his
father, played by Len Cariou, is the retired PC, two of the sons are
cops, and the third was a cop that was killed on duty. The daughter is
an assistant district attorney. Just a big Irish Catholic family. In
some areas it isn't too far from the truth.

We watch that show every week.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Americans

The Irish cop or politician is a stereotype and stereotypes always have
some basis in reality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Americans

Germans were more diverse and blended better. Ben Franklin published the
first German newspaper, Die Philadelphische Zeitung, in 1732. It failed
and he didn't have much good to say about Germans after that. Maybe it
was because they were the majority in many areas that they are more
casual about their ethnic roots. There's not too much romance about the
Auld Sod and all that stuff.

--
Maggie