Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Idiot lights-out drivers

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 09:09:28 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per rbowman:
'They Drive By Night' with Bogart,
that's what the laws were written for. Not quite the same as driving
down the interstate with the cruise control set to 65, the air
conditioning cranked up, and good tunes on the mp3 player.

My takeaway from reading interviews with various OTR drivers is that
their primary worry is falling asleep at the wheel - and they have a
number of strategies for dealing with that, CB radio conversations and
singing to oneself among them.

My kid brother told a cop one time when he was questioned about
talking on the CB, and handsfree telephone "you don't really want me
driving WITHOUT distractions, do you???" as he was motoring across
Sakatchewan - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/18/2016 11:28 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I had a well paid supervisor quit. I think this week him and his wife
are starting driving school. Both are in their early 50's and want to
do this. I wish him well, but it does not seem to be a good age to
start over, but he wants to be his own boss. Biggest challenge I see is
getting that first couple of years of experience and reputation.

Many OO's are under contract. Whether they make more than the company
drivers is questionable. Being your own boss sounds good until you
realize shippers, receivers, the DOT, and brokers are controlling your
life.

Being a team has some drawbacks. A solo driver can show 60 hours in 7
days, or in practical terms 3000 miles. If everything lines up right you
might get 12,000 miles a month. A team has the potential of 6000 miles a
week. To do that pretty much requires you to run fixed routes with long
legs and minimal time spent loading and unloading to maximize profits.
While the run from LA to Seattle is relatively scenic if I did it more
than twice in a row I'd get antsy. LA to the east coast means you're
going to spend a lot of time in the flatlands and that gets old really fast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/18/2016 02:31 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Wormhole technology.

It would help. Like Australia there are parts of the US where you could
tie the wheel down, climb into the sleeper, and take a nap without
missing much.

'Blue Highways' is about a guy driving around the US in his van on the
secondary (blue) roads. He mentions driving across some scenic place
like Kansas and catching himself thinking about going back in the van to
make a sandwich. I never left the wheel but I'll admit to making more
than one sandwich while driving down the slab at 65. The worst part is
you can see until where the curvature of the earth creates a horizon.
And there's nothing there but corn. A lot of the towns have grain
elevators that are high enough that you can see them about 50 miles
away, so that's the scenery for the next 45 minutes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 19:22:12 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 02/18/2016 02:31 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Wormhole technology.

It would help. Like Australia there are parts of the US where you could
tie the wheel down, climb into the sleeper, and take a nap without
missing much.

'Blue Highways' is about a guy driving around the US in his van on the
secondary (blue) roads. He mentions driving across some scenic place
like Kansas and catching himself thinking about going back in the van to
make a sandwich. I never left the wheel but I'll admit to making more
than one sandwich while driving down the slab at 65. The worst part is
you can see until where the curvature of the earth creates a horizon.
And there's nothing there but corn. A lot of the towns have grain
elevators that are high enough that you can see them about 50 miles
away, so that's the scenery for the next 45 minutes.

Back in '72 in the dead of winter(just after christmas) I was driving
out to Banff Alberta through the states basically non-stop. I believe
it was Wyoming - 104 miles across the corner at night, with the Dart
cruising at an easy 104mph and we see this light in the distance.. It
just stays there for an hour. We finally passed it - it was a light on
the top of the sign saying "Welcome to Montana". Didn't pass or meet a
single vehicle - and onkly a few ranch buildings a mile or two off the
road with lights.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/18/2016 8:07 PM, rbowman wrote:
[...]

Do you think boredom on those long trips a major problem? Like falling
asleep at the wheel from it?

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/18/2016 08:30 PM, Muggles wrote:
Do you think boredom on those long trips a major problem? Like falling
asleep at the wheel from it?

not really. You get to do a lot of thinking. There were a few times when
I was sleepy but mostly not. Fatigue is the real problem. You're not
necessarily sleepy but you make stupid mistakes. I never wrecked a truck
but there's a certain amount of road rash that goes with the job,
scraping a trailer backing into a dock and so forth. Whenever I had one
of those incidents I realized I wasn't hitting on all eight.

Even now there are days when I catch up on documentation and do trivial
little chores so I don't break anything by making stupid logic errors
that a new programmer would catch. Some jobs you don't have that luxury.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/18/2016 7:22 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/18/2016 02:31 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Wormhole technology.

It would help. Like Australia there are parts of the US where you could tie the
wheel down, climb into the sleeper, and take a nap without missing much.

'Blue Highways' is about a guy driving around the US in his van on the
secondary (blue) roads. He mentions driving across some scenic place like
Kansas and catching himself thinking about going back in the van to make a
sandwich. I never left the wheel but I'll admit to making more than one
sandwich while driving down the slab at 65. The worst part is you can see until
where the curvature of the earth creates a horizon. And there's nothing there
but corn. A lot of the towns have grain elevators that are high enough that you
can see them about 50 miles away, so that's the scenery for the next 45 minutes.

My first drive across the corn belt I joked that I didn't dare risk pulling off
the road -- for fear I'd forget which direction I came from and wouldn't
know, for sure, until reaching the next state line!

Gotta wonder what that sort of environment does to folks' way of thinking!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/18/2016 10:06 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/18/2016 08:30 PM, Muggles wrote:
Do you think boredom on those long trips a major problem? Like falling
asleep at the wheel from it?

not really. You get to do a lot of thinking. There were a few times when
I was sleepy but mostly not. Fatigue is the real problem. You're not
necessarily sleepy but you make stupid mistakes. I never wrecked a truck
but there's a certain amount of road rash that goes with the job,
scraping a trailer backing into a dock and so forth. Whenever I had one
of those incidents I realized I wasn't hitting on all eight.

Even now there are days when I catch up on documentation and do trivial
little chores so I don't break anything by making stupid logic errors
that a new programmer would catch. Some jobs you don't have that luxury.

You really have had some amazing experiences all over the place, it
sounds like to me. A nice guy who works hard. That's something I can
appreciate and admire.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19/02/2016 00:46, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Mr Macaw:
On the subject of health and softy shooting itself in the foot,
there have been many more deaths in boxing since they started wearing gloves.

On PBS a few years ago I heard a round-table discussion involving some
older world-class welterweight fighters and the consensus was that brain
injuries were almost unknown back in the bare-knuckle days.

The rationale: bare-knuckle boxing was essentially an endurance contest
- circling, looking for an opening. Once one of the fighters landed a
punch, the fight did not last much longer. A person just can't take
very many full-force bare-knuckle punches. Therefore there was very
little of trading punches - especially to the head.

Apparently bare knuckle boxing started in England.

--
Bod

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/18/2016 11:08 PM, Don Y wrote:
My first drive across the corn belt I joked that I didn't dare risk
pulling off
the road -- for fear I'd forget which direction I came from and wouldn't
know, for sure, until reaching the next state line!

Gotta wonder what that sort of environment does to folks' way of thinking!

I did that once, but not in a eighteen
wheeler. Since that time I've been sure
to have a suction cup compass in both
vehicles.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 09:20:08 +0000, Bod wrote:

On 19/02/2016 00:46, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Mr Macaw:
On the subject of health and softy shooting itself in the foot,
there have been many more deaths in boxing since they started wearing gloves.

On PBS a few years ago I heard a round-table discussion involving some
older world-class welterweight fighters and the consensus was that brain
injuries were almost unknown back in the bare-knuckle days.

The rationale: bare-knuckle boxing was essentially an endurance contest
- circling, looking for an opening. Once one of the fighters landed a
punch, the fight did not last much longer. A person just can't take
very many full-force bare-knuckle punches. Therefore there was very
little of trading punches - especially to the head.

Apparently bare knuckle boxing started in England.

It LIKELY started with the cave man. In England and Ireland it was
called "brawling" and wth their proliferation of local pubs, it was
widespread and common for a few nights each month after the pogey
checques arrived.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19/02/2016 13:09, wrote:
[...]

You're sort of right.

(From Wiki): Bare knuckle boxing
Also known as Fisticuffs, Prizefighting
Focus Striking
Country of origin England
Creator Unknown
Parenthood Ancient Greek boxing, Street fighting
--
Bod

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/18/2016 09:08 PM, Don Y wrote:
My first drive across the corn belt I joked that I didn't dare risk
pulling off
the road -- for fear I'd forget which direction I came from and wouldn't
know, for sure, until reaching the next state line!

Gotta wonder what that sort of environment does to folks' way of thinking!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Childr...281984_film%29
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/19/2016 07:51 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I'm going to take two suitcases. One with clean underwear, the other
with money, and just go. We have grandkids in WA state, Las Vegas, Dallas.

Take your old, dingy underwear. Discard as you go. If you run out, there
are Targets everywhere.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2016 9:51 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I've had the good fortune to drive cross country twice so far and may do
it again in the spring. You have no idea what our country is like until
you've driven it. I plan to do at least some of it on the blue routes too.

I'm going to take two suitcases. One with clean underwear, the other
with money, and just go. We have grandkids in WA state, Las Vegas, Dallas.

I'd like to hear some of the details, when
you get back.

My one time cross country was to go from NYS to
Salt Lake City, Utah. I had a front end toe out,
destroyed four tires with edge wear. One flat in
the back. Hand choke problems. Low power in
Wyoming, had to replace to spark plugs on my
6 cyl van. Head wind, could not get faster than
25 MPH.

I found the people in SLC to be friendly, the
mountains to be beautiful, and really enjoyed
the trip. I'd love to visit again.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2016 10:02 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/19/2016 07:51 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I'm going to take two suitcases. One with clean underwear, the other
with money, and just go. We have grandkids in WA state, Las Vegas,
Dallas.

Take your old, dingy underwear. Discard as you go. If you run out, there
are Targets everywhere.

Other suitcase full of money will be needed.
Though, you do have a very good idea.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2016 7:51 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I've had the good fortune to drive cross country twice so far and may do it
again in the spring. You have no idea what our country is like until you've
driven it.

+42

I've visited (portions of) most of the states. You really can't imagine
how diverse the landscapes, cultures, politics, etc. are until you've
spent time (even "just a little") in each.

If you're attentive, you can actually get a feel for why certain issues
resonate with certain groups (in certain parts of the country).

I was at a party many years ago and a snobbish woman was name dropping
the various places in Europe that she'd visited. I finally asked
her, dead serious: "Have you ever been to Romney?" "(puzzled) No,
where's that?" "West Virginia. You'd remember it if you had..."

She didn't "get it".

There are scant *few* places "abroad" that I'd really want to visit.
And, most of those would be impractical due to restrictions that
I'm *sure* would (justifiably) be placed on tourists at those places.
E.g., climbing Khufu's or rummaging around inside.

Of course, there are similar restrictions on sites here in the US
(I'd love to have a more expansive tour of the cheyenne mountain complex
beyond the previous one -- "ain't gonna happen").

Toured Kartchner Caverns just after it opened. Would have wished I'd
have had a preview tour -- so I could have explored more of the
science they were using to preserve the site! So, my next visit
(whenever suitable guests are in town) will focus on those aspects
instead of the "touristy stuff".

I plan to do at least some of it on the blue routes too.

I'm going to take two suitcases. One with clean underwear, the other with
money, and just go. We have grandkids in WA state, Las Vegas, Dallas.

When I travel (avoiding it like the plague, in recent years), I carry a fat
briefcase that has a couple of changes of underwear and a few shirts.
Plus, a laptop bag.

If I'll have friends/family accessible, I can impose on them to run a
small load of laundry -- every 3 or 4 days. Or, a quick trip to a laundromat
(cram everything in ONE load).

It's just not worth the effort of "carrying extra", for me.
(esp if flying and having to wait for a checked bag, etc.)

Always puzzling to see how MANY suitcases a woman needs for the same trip!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2016 7:29 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/18/2016 09:08 PM, Don Y wrote:
My first drive across the corn belt I joked that I didn't dare risk
pulling off
the road -- for fear I'd forget which direction I came from and wouldn't
know, for sure, until reaching the next state line!

Gotta wonder what that sort of environment does to folks' way of thinking!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Childr...281984_film%29

Cow tipping, sheep f*cking, etc.

Yeah, that's normal (not!) :

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 16:05:06 -0000, Don Y wrote:

On 2/19/2016 7:29 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/18/2016 09:08 PM, Don Y wrote:
My first drive across the corn belt I joked that I didn't dare risk
pulling off
the road -- for fear I'd forget which direction I came from and wouldn't
know, for sure, until reaching the next state line!

Gotta wonder what that sort of environment does to folks' way of thinking!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Childr...281984_film%29

Cow tipping, sheep f*cking, etc.

Yeah, that's normal (not!) :

I've done one of the above and I'll leave you to guess which.

--
There are two people I trust to use my computer. Myself and you are not the other one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y posted for all of us...

On 2/13/2016 6:38 AM, Gene Yuss wrote:
On 02/13/2016 12:23 AM, Don Y wrote:
People zone out when driving. They get "acclimated" to a particular
set of stimuli -- then tend to ignore it.

If you want to be noticed, you have to stand out by "being different".
E.g., a headlight that flashes, etc.

This is the rationale for every tweek to the safety equipment (e.g., now
center mounted brake lights *flash* when first applied; it's not enough
that they are UP HIGH, in your LINE OF SIGHT -- cuz you've gotten used
to seeing them there and now "tune them out".

Brake lights should broadcast a wifi signal that flashes the
smartphone screens of the texting driver(s) behind you when
you apply the brakes. Or is there already an app for that?

Ha! Or, "we interrupt this call to tell you that you're about
to *ss-end the vehicle in front of you. Please hang up so we can
autodial your insurance carrier..."

[Actually, I suspect there will be pressure for phones to
report the "their" speed of travel whenever they "notice"
a sudden, instantaneous change (decrease) in speed! Perhaps
not legislated but, rather, insurance company incentives.
Given how integrated telecoms are becoming with new cars,
it wouldn't be hard for the car to "tattle" on the driver.
IIRC, our owner's manual essentially says this -- though
in an obtuse way.]

The ECM knows all...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman posted for all of us...

On 02/13/2016 12:23 AM, Don Y wrote:
If you want to be noticed, you have to stand out by "being different".
E.g., a headlight that flashes, etc.

Some bike riders install aftermarket headlight modulators that sort of
makes them warble, if that's a word to apply to a visual effect. That
may be illegal in some jurisdictions and certainly isn't wide spread.

I don't know how effective they are. After having people pull out in
front of me when I was driving a 13' 6" high, 65' vehicle with a bright
red cab and the headlights on. I find it safer just to consider my
fellow motorists as escapees from a sheltered workshop.

Yes isn't it phenomenal? I drove a truck that had red lights, siren and air
horn but I was the one ending up stopping...

I don't think they are escapees, they drive amongst us, no wonder the zombie
and paranormal is so popular.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 08:02:38 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 02/19/2016 07:51 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I'm going to take two suitcases. One with clean underwear, the other
with money, and just go. We have grandkids in WA state, Las Vegas, Dallas.

Take your old, dingy underwear. Discard as you go. If you run out, there
are Targets everywhere.

Can't travel with dingy underwear - he remembers his mother's
admonishion to make sure he has clean underwear in case he gets inan
accident - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 10:15:51 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

[...]

To the east coat in a 53 dodge, a 69 dart, a 72 Vauxhaul HC Firenza,
1972 Ambassador wagon and a PT cruiser.
To Banff in 69 dart, to the west coast in 90 Aerostar, to Tulsa
Oklahoma in a '57 Fargo, to Florida with 90 Aerostar and '95 Pantiac
TranSport, to Winterpeg with the 90 Aerostar

Just a few of the long distance drives from Central Ontario
(Kitchener/Waterloo) A few runs to places like Myrtle Beach,
Lancaster County PA, OshKosh Wisc, etc as well

In million plus miles of driving I lost a U-Joint, Torque converter
seal, battery, exhaust pipe gasket, and a set of plug wires while on
the road and had to throw away a well worn set of snowtires and chains
after the Banff trip. Blew an oil dilter off the Dart starting it in
-40 Winterpeg on the way back from Banff too. The Firenza lost a
timing belt and voltage regulator between Cape Breton and Halifax, and
the battery on the Ambassador dies, fittingly, on the Ambassador
bridge between Detroit and Windsor. I also had a trailer bearing let
go coming across the bridge at Sarnia coming home from Florida

It sure pays to make sure your vehicle is in good shape before setting
out on a trip.. The fargo was 18 years old with 250,000 miles on it
when I set out for Tulsa. The 69 Dart had 240,000 miles on it at 5
years of age when it went to PEI - a little less when we set out for
Banff. The 53 Dodge was 20 years old when it went to PEI - freshly
rebuilt Red Ram heni and 100,000 miles on the car - and the Firenza
was 10 years old when I took it to Cape Breton towing an 8 foot steel
tent trailer.Climbed Mount Washington with the Firenza on that trip
too

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/19/2016 09:03 AM, Don Y wrote:
Toured Kartchner Caverns just after it opened. Would have wished I'd
have had a preview tour -- so I could have explored more of the
science they were using to preserve the site! So, my next visit
(whenever suitable guests are in town) will focus on those aspects
instead of the "touristy stuff".

I went there the last time I was in the area. It was November and cool
as I walked around the Foothills Loop while waiting for the tour time. I
wasn't ready for the steam bath as you go through the air locks. Most of
the cave systems I've been in were much cooler and wetter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/19/2016 10:44 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

I've done one of the above and I'll leave you to guess which.

Scotland; where men are men and the sheep are nervous. Actually, we say
that about Wyoming but what the hell. I never saw it but I understand
'Brokeback Mountain' let that sheep out of the bag.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2016 8:26 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/19/2016 09:03 AM, Don Y wrote:
Toured Kartchner Caverns just after it opened. Would have wished I'd
have had a preview tour -- so I could have explored more of the
science they were using to preserve the site! So, my next visit
(whenever suitable guests are in town) will focus on those aspects
instead of the "touristy stuff".

I went there the last time I was in the area. It was November and cool as I
walked around the Foothills Loop while waiting for the tour time. I wasn't
ready for the steam bath as you go through the air locks. Most of the cave
systems I've been in were much cooler and wetter.

Yeah, our experience was similar. On a repeat visit, I'd pay more attention
to the placement of the sensors and humidifiers/heaters/etc. And, if
possible, review the logs to see how good their control is.

Colossal cave (also nearby) is "dead" so a much different experience.

I also was amused at the gestapo like attitude of the tour guides -- at
point and taking up the rear. "No touchy! No touchy!"

Understandable but difficult to wrap your head around: "it's ROCK!!"
(well, no, not exactly...)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/19/2016 08:45 PM, Don Y wrote:
I also was amused at the gestapo like attitude of the tour guides -- at
point and taking up the rear. "No touchy! No touchy!"

That amused me too. In the wetter caves that aren't so precarious it's
more like 'Try not to fall over that stalagmite.' It had been relatively
wet so one of the fried eggs was getting a drop every 20 seconds or so.
The guide said that in bad years people tended to clap if they were
lucky enough to see a drop fall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/19/2016 9:14 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/19/2016 08:45 PM, Don Y wrote:
I also was amused at the gestapo like attitude of the tour guides -- at
point and taking up the rear. "No touchy! No touchy!"

That amused me too. In the wetter caves that aren't so precarious it's more
like 'Try not to fall over that stalagmite.' It had been relatively wet so one
of the fried eggs was getting a drop every 20 seconds or so. The guide said
that in bad years people tended to clap if they were lucky enough to see a drop
fall.

I think they were concerned with oils from hands forming a film on the
features and effectively inhibiting future "growth".

Still, it's an odd sort of mental adjustment to make. Your body
*craves* touching these things -- as if your eyes alone are not up to
the task of comprehending them!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 02:22:12 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/18/2016 02:31 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Wormhole technology.

It would help. Like Australia there are parts of the US where you could
tie the wheel down, climb into the sleeper, and take a nap without
missing much.

'Blue Highways' is about a guy driving around the US in his van on the
secondary (blue) roads. He mentions driving across some scenic place
like Kansas and catching himself thinking about going back in the van to
make a sandwich. I never left the wheel but I'll admit to making more
than one sandwich while driving down the slab at 65. The worst part is
you can see until where the curvature of the earth creates a horizon.
And there's nothing there but corn. A lot of the towns have grain
elevators that are high enough that you can see them about 50 miles
away, so that's the scenery for the next 45 minutes.

You can also see a police car miles away, so go as fast as your engine will permit and relieve the boredom.

--
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. -- Seneca the Younger 4 b.c.- 65 a.d.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 15:16:39 -0000, Stormin Mormon wrote:

On 2/19/2016 10:02 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/19/2016 07:51 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I'm going to take two suitcases. One with clean underwear, the other
with money, and just go. We have grandkids in WA state, Las Vegas,
Dallas.

Take your old, dingy underwear. Discard as you go. If you run out, there
are Targets everywhere.

Other suitcase full of money will be needed.
Though, you do have a very good idea.

Don't y'all have plastic?

--
Those who jump off a bridge in Paris are in Seine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 03:45:00 -0000, Don Y wrote:

[...]

I visited caves in France, and the first thing the guide did was to point out a broken stalactite and explain who had done it and how. He was explaining it in French which I don't speak fluently, but I distinctly remember "Une certain personne!"

--
I was doing some remolishments to my house the other day and accidentally defurbished it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 04:39:16 -0000, Don Y wrote:

On 2/19/2016 9:14 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/19/2016 08:45 PM, Don Y wrote:
I also was amused at the gestapo like attitude of the tour guides -- at
point and taking up the rear. "No touchy! No touchy!"

That amused me too. In the wetter caves that aren't so precarious it's more
like 'Try not to fall over that stalagmite.' It had been relatively wet so one
of the fried eggs was getting a drop every 20 seconds or so. The guide said
that in bad years people tended to clap if they were lucky enough to see a drop
fall.

I think they were concerned with oils from hands forming a film on the
features and effectively inhibiting future "growth".

Still, it's an odd sort of mental adjustment to make. Your body
*craves* touching these things -- as if your eyes alone are not up to
the task of comprehending them!

I never felt the desire to touch any, just like I don't rub my fingers all over paintings in an art gallery.

--
New here? Pull up a chair and we'll plug you in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 04:14:40 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/19/2016 08:45 PM, Don Y wrote:
I also was amused at the gestapo like attitude of the tour guides -- at
point and taking up the rear. "No touchy! No touchy!"

That amused me too. In the wetter caves that aren't so precarious it's
more like 'Try not to fall over that stalagmite.' It had been relatively
wet so one of the fried eggs was getting a drop every 20 seconds or so.
The guide said that in bad years people tended to clap if they were
lucky enough to see a drop fall.

Fried eggs? Doesn't that mean flat tits?

--
Michael Buerk on watching Phillipa Forrester cuddle up to a male astronomer for warmth during BBC1's UK eclipse coverage remarked: "They seem cold out there, they're rubbing each other and he's only come in his shorts."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 03:29:10 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/19/2016 10:44 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

I've done one of the above and I'll leave you to guess which.

Scotland; where men are men and the sheep are nervous. Actually, we say
that about Wyoming but what the hell. I never saw it but I understand
'Brokeback Mountain' let that sheep out of the bag.

Only Aberdeen. Wales is more sheep country. See sig:

--
What do you call 4 sheep tied to a post in Wales?
A leisure centre!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 03:29:10 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/19/2016 10:44 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

I've done one of the above and I'll leave you to guess which.

Scotland; where men are men and the sheep are nervous. Actually, we say
that about Wyoming but what the hell. I never saw it but I understand
'Brokeback Mountain' let that sheep out of the bag.

Only Aberdeen. Wales is more sheep country. See sig:

--
What do you call 4 sheep tied to a post in Wales?
A leisure centre!

Speaking of Wales, I remember a fellow from Wales saying
he couldn't communicate when he visited his granny living in
London as a little kid. I understand Welsh is somewhat
different from English. One of my wife's niece married a
Scottish fellow and she lives over there. When she comes home
for a visit, she sounds funny.