Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Idiot lights-out drivers

On 2/15/2016 2:42 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 20:37:15 -0000, Muggles
wrote:

On 2/15/2016 2:32 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 20:28:14 -0000, Muggles
wrote:

On 2/15/2016 2:06 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 20:04:13 -0000, Muggles
wrote:

On 2/15/2016 1:51 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 19:44:53 -0000, Muggles

wrote:

On 2/15/2016 1:37 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 19:34:27 -0000, Muggles

wrote:

On 2/15/2016 1:31 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 19:28:34 -0000, Muggles

wrote:

On 2/15/2016 8:40 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 14:30:18 -0000, (PeteCresswell)

wrote:

Per Mr Macaw:
Yes, and that language is English. And it's already
happening
courtesy of the internet.

"The USA and The United Kingdom: Two great countries divided
by a
common
language."

Indeed.

We may be divided, but we're still connected with ties we'll
never be
able to break.

Like what? We share the same films and internet, that's
about it.

History, heritage,

Not that those come up in everyday living.

humanity.

As in ethics? No more than any other two random countries
(excluding
Arab scum of course).

But, the US and Britain, aren't just two random countries. We're
connected.

Rubbish, we're no more connected to you than we are to France.

I guess I base my conclusion on ancestry. English, Irish, and
Scottish
(all part of Britain) being in the top 8 ethnicity in the US with a
combined total greater than the number one ranked ethnicity.

Ancestry of U.S. Population by Rank
(Groups with populations exceeding one million)

Rank Ethnicity Number
1. German 47,901,779
2. *Irish 34,669,616*
3. *English 25,926,451*
4. American 19,975,875
5. Italian 17,235,941
6. Polish 9,569,207
7. French 8,761,496
8. *Scottish 5,460,679*
9. Dutch 4,645,131
10. Norwegian 4,470,081
http://www.infoplease.com/toptens/popancestry.html

Now that's surprising, I didn't know there were many Germans over
there. Didn't you guys fight the Germans in WWII?

Amazing, huh?

My ancestry is a combination of English, Irish, Scottish, French, and
German.

It's easy to see why with so many different ethnicity's existing
here in
the US.

And I thought I was bad, having 1/2 North England, 1/4 South England,
1/4 Sweden, and lived in Scotland all my life.

I can speak with three silly accents and don't feel the cold.

One side of my family is E/I/Sc, and the other side is F/G.

Does everybody get along?

Sadly, no.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I blame the Irish part.

--
Microsoft: This company has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

https://youtu.be/8C1z7OlhJJ4

--
Britney Spears is pregnant. She plans to breast feed.
In other words, the child will have an abundant supply of artificial milk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/2016 3:15 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 21:08:25 -0000, SeaNymph
wrote:

On 2/15/2016 2:57 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 20:52:31 -0000, SeaNymph
wrote:

On 2/15/2016 2:43 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 20:37:27 -0000, SeaNymph

wrote:

On 2/15/2016 2:23 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 20:19:20 -0000, SeaNymph

wrote:

On 2/15/2016 1:09 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 04:22:41 -0000, wrote:

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 21:32:25 -0000, "Mr Macaw"
wrote:

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 21:29:37 -0000, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 2/13/2016 3:49 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Again, why do you want the front of cars lit up but not the
back?
Pretty obvious to anyone who actually drives. The front of
the
car
is comming towards you

On the other side of the road, it's far easier to hit the
back of
another car than one going the other way on the wrong side.

at the combined speed of the car approaching
and your car. He's doing 100kph and you are doing 90, the
closing
speed is 190kph.,

Oh no, you don't actually believe that do you? Answer this
simple
question:

Situation 1: You drive at 50mph into a brick wall.
Situation 2: You drive at 50mph into another identical car
going at
50mph the other way.

WTF does that have to do with closing speed? He never said
anything
about damage, but closing speed has a lot to do with time to
evade an
accident. I thought you were smarter than that Harry.

She wasn't clear what she meant by it. But most people use
closing
speed when talking about damage.
I think "harry" Macaw is taking the crazy position he is taking
figuring he can out- mart or out argue or whatever a
"woman".....

Nobody can out-mart a woman. Women are brilliant at shopping.

And closing speed, past a certain very limited point, and damage,
become pretty well irrelevant as dead is dead - and totally
destroyed
is totally destroyed.

So why did you bring up the fact that cars coming the other way
have
more closing speed if you think it's irrelevant?

The best way to survive a collision is to avoid it.
The best way to avoid it is to see and be seen.
The BE SEEN is the part very effectively affected by
"daylighting". As
a rallye driver in the past, "daylighting" was one of the safety
precautions we ALL took - long before DRLs became mandatory, or
even
common.

To be seen you do NOT require as much light as to see. Bright
lights to
illuminate your surroundings, dim lights to mark the position of
your
vehicle for others to notice you. A bright light means they
can no
longer see your vehicle, just lights, this makes it harder to
judge
your
speed, width, and distance. And no lights are necessary if the
surrounding daylight is reasonable - if your eyes cannot pick
up an
object using the light reflected off it, you should seek immediate
help
from an optician.

One of the problems with all that talk about lights is that the
older
you get, the less light your eyes absorb.

What is the average age of the driving population?

And do you think OAPs drive as much as working people?

Well, according to the link, the largest demographic of drivers is
persons 45-49, with virtually equal numbers of male and female
drivers.

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policyinfor...8/chapter4.cfm

So not people with **** eyesight then.

I didn't say anything about old people. I said that as you get older,
the less light your eyes can absorb.

As you get older you become an old people. Anyway I'm 40 and I can see
just as well as a teenager (optician says so, and I can see things
without lights on them just as easily, if not easier than those with DRL
crap).

LOL
Well, that's fine.

OAP = Old Age Pensioner? Never heard that one before.

It's a common acronym in the UK.

I figured as much once I figured out what it was.

What do you guys call them?

I think they're just referred to as retirees.

I've never heard that, but if I did I'd think it a bit posh. "One is a
retiree you know, one has a mansion and a golf course to one's self."

I don't know any rich people.

I have no idea who
drives more. Non workers have more time to run around though, I would
think.

Yes but they only run around when they want to, workers have to drive
twice a day.

And what if all they want to do is run around? Maybe they like driving
and have all the time in the world to do it g

That explains why the *******s stick to the ****ing sped limit and get
in my way!

I'm wondering if you're making an assumption about who drives more, or
if there's some statistic about it. Not that I really care, but in my
house, I drive more and I don't work.

If they drove at a reasonable speed I wouldn't care.

We live pretty close to where my husband works. Since I do all the
shopping, I tend to drive much more in a week than he does. He has a 5
year old vehicle and it has less than 40,000 miles on it.

"All the shopping" is more than commuting?!? I go to the supermarket
once every 3 weeks, and that's 2 miles away.

My husband drives less than 20 miles round trip for work. And the only
other place he drives his vehicle is to the shooting range because all
the stuff we take won't easily fit in my car.

Shopping, for me, involves a variety of stores and places and I easily
drive more in a week than his commute. Of course, we do live a bit off
the beaten track.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/15/2016 2:42 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 20:37:15 -0000, Muggles

And I thought I was bad, having 1/2 North England, 1/4 South
England,
1/4 Sweden, and lived in Scotland all my life.

I can speak with three silly accents and don't feel the cold.

One side of my family is E/I/Sc, and the other side is F/G.

Does everybody get along?

Sadly, no.

I blame the Irish part.

HAHA!

https://youtu.be/8C1z7OlhJJ4

That's PRICELESS!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

20 miles x 5 days a week = 100 miles a week. You shop more than that?!!?

Shopping, for me, involves a variety of stores and places and I easily
drive more in a week than his commute. Of course, we do live a bit off
the beaten track.

Must be a female thing. I shop for food once every 3 weeks, everything else I buy is on Ebay.

--
A hard-on doesn't count as personal growth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/15/2016 2:42 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 20:37:15 -0000, Muggles

And I thought I was bad, having 1/2 North England, 1/4 South
England,
1/4 Sweden, and lived in Scotland all my life.

I can speak with three silly accents and don't feel the cold.

One side of my family is E/I/Sc, and the other side is F/G.

Does everybody get along?

Sadly, no.

I blame the Irish part.

HAHA!

https://youtu.be/8C1z7OlhJJ4

That's PRICELESS!

Anyone in your family that bad? Show the video to them!

--
1 in 6 men in Iowa have had sex with a chicken -- The Kinsey Report
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/15/2016 2:42 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 20:37:15 -0000, Muggles

And I thought I was bad, having 1/2 North England, 1/4 South
England,
1/4 Sweden, and lived in Scotland all my life.

I can speak with three silly accents and don't feel the cold.

One side of my family is E/I/Sc, and the other side is F/G.

Does everybody get along?

Sadly, no.

I blame the Irish part.

HAHA!

https://youtu.be/8C1z7OlhJJ4

That's PRICELESS!

Anyone in your family that bad? Show the video to them!

No, but I think I've seen a few trolls behave that way!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 00:17:31 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 21:53:17 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 02/13/2016 09:25 PM, Muggles wrote:
yeah I like truckers, for good reasons. I'll nearly always let them in
if I can do it safely, flash my lights at them if they let me in to
thank them, and try to give them a wide birth. On the way to work I
could swear they let me in the rocking chair on purpose so I could get
off on my exit. Least I'd like to think they did that more than once.

You develop a different attitude, particularly as an OTR driver. You're
driving ten to twelve thousand miles a month and you're typically not
running on a tight schedule. By that I mean you don't have to get to the
office by 9:00. Most of my runs were at least 1,000 miles. You learn to
take the long view. A few minutes one way or the other don't mean
anything and you have plenty of time to study traffic patterns.

I would appreciate it if you would leave a blank line between your
words and the previous poster's.

I wish all OTR drivers thought the same way you do.
Too many ARE on a tight schedule - they have to have their load at the

This was a long time ago, 1971, but I was standing on the interstate
where the road from St. Louis split, with one fork going to Chicago
and the other to Indianapolis. I was headed for Chicago. A semi
stopped for me. He told me that he had missed me the first time he
passed me, going too fast and he'd gone to the next exit, turned
around gone to the previous exit, turned around again, and picked me
up. I thanked him graciously, but it still amazes me.

It was a beautiful day, no later than 11AM. He could have easily let
someone else pick me up. It was Feburary though, about 3 days
after Mardi Gras. Still, I don't get it. It must have taken him 20
minutes to turn around twice.

He dropped me off on the Springfield Il. bypass, and it was hard to
get a ride there. A cop must have driven by because a voice came out
of nowhere, Get off the road. But there was nowhere to go which
woudln't have required hitching. I got a ride before he came back.

I had hoped to get rides with truckers because I thought they'd be
interesting, but I think I only got two, from New Orleans to Chicago.
The rest were all cars.

dock between 3:15 and 4:00 pm tomorrow, and to keep your logbook legal
you cannot lose 20 minutes in the next 14 hours or you have to stop
for the mandated rest period - meaning you will be a few hours late.
I have 2 brothers who made their living as OTR drivers for many years.
One is currently either running the ice road in northern Sakatchewan
or waiting for the road to open, and the other took his own life last
year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/15/2016 2:57 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

"All the shopping" is more than commuting?!? I go to the supermarket
once every 3 weeks, and that's 2 miles away.

My husband drives less than 20 miles round trip for work. And the only
other place he drives his vehicle is to the shooting range because all
the stuff we take won't easily fit in my car.

20 miles x 5 days a week = 100 miles a week. You shop more than that?!!?

I typed that wrong. He drives 35 miles to and from work, a week. My
errands often involve many different places. I start at the farthest
one out and work my way back.

Shopping, for me, involves a variety of stores and places and I easily
drive more in a week than his commute. Of course, we do live a bit off
the beaten track.

Must be a female thing. I shop for food once every 3 weeks, everything
else I buy is on Ebay.

I'm doing a lot more than buying food.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/15/2016 2:57 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

"All the shopping" is more than commuting?!? I go to the supermarket
once every 3 weeks, and that's 2 miles away.

My husband drives less than 20 miles round trip for work. And the only
other place he drives his vehicle is to the shooting range because all
the stuff we take won't easily fit in my car.

20 miles x 5 days a week = 100 miles a week. You shop more than that?!!?

I typed that wrong. He drives 35 miles to and from work, a week. My
errands often involve many different places. I start at the farthest
one out and work my way back.

Any particular reason it's not the other way round? In fact if something can be bought at more than one shop, you're better starting with the closest, then if they're out of stock, you can go to another one on the way back.

Shopping, for me, involves a variety of stores and places and I easily
drive more in a week than his commute. Of course, we do live a bit off
the beaten track.

Must be a female thing. I shop for food once every 3 weeks, everything
else I buy is on Ebay.

I'm doing a lot more than buying food.

For example?

--
"O'Ryan," asked the druggist, "did that mudpack I gave you improve your wife's appearance?"
"It did, surely," replied O'Ryan, "but it keeps fallin' off!"
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/15/2016 2:57 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

"All the shopping" is more than commuting?!? I go to the supermarket
once every 3 weeks, and that's 2 miles away.

My husband drives less than 20 miles round trip for work. And the only
other place he drives his vehicle is to the shooting range because all
the stuff we take won't easily fit in my car.

20 miles x 5 days a week = 100 miles a week. You shop more than
that?!!?

I typed that wrong. He drives 35 miles to and from work, a week. My
errands often involve many different places. I start at the farthest
one out and work my way back.

Any particular reason it's not the other way round? In fact if
something can be bought at more than one shop, you're better starting
with the closest, then if they're out of stock, you can go to another
one on the way back.

It's more an issue of needing to go to different types of stores.

Shopping, for me, involves a variety of stores and places and I easily
drive more in a week than his commute. Of course, we do live a bit off
the beaten track.

Must be a female thing. I shop for food once every 3 weeks, everything
else I buy is on Ebay.

I'm doing a lot more than buying food.

For example?

I go to a hardware store I buy reloading supplies (we shoot a lot and
reload all our own ammo), I buy groceries, I do craft stuff and I buy
things for that. We don't cook a lot, so we don't buy a lot of that sort
of stuff, but when we do cook, we don't like meat that's been frozen.

Every week its usually a different set of things that need to be done.
Sometimes I need to go to the UPS store, sometimes it's the post office,
sometimes the library. Sometimes it's clothes shopping or lunch with my
son. It's a variety.

Some weeks I go nowhere, but not too often. I don't mind. I try to do
everything in one trip, sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Isn't that what they did in the olden days before supermarkets and online shopping?

Shopping, for me, involves a variety of stores and places and I easily
drive more in a week than his commute. Of course, we do live a bit off
the beaten track.

Must be a female thing. I shop for food once every 3 weeks, everything
else I buy is on Ebay.

I'm doing a lot more than buying food.

For example?

I go to a hardware store I buy reloading supplies (we shoot a lot and
reload all our own ammo), I buy groceries, I do craft stuff and I buy
things for that. We don't cook a lot, so we don't buy a lot of that sort
of stuff, but when we do cook, we don't like meat that's been frozen.

Ok, maybe you can't get ammo in a supermarket or online, but everything else you can.

Every week its usually a different set of things that need to be done.
Sometimes I need to go to the UPS store,

What is "UPS"? To me that's a device used to prevent power outages to something important like a computer.

sometimes it's the post office,
sometimes the library. Sometimes it's clothes shopping or lunch with my
son. It's a variety.

Some weeks I go nowhere, but not too often. I don't mind. I try to do
everything in one trip, sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.

[shakes head] Women!

--
Thought for the Day:
The Bible teaches us to love your neighbour, and the Kama Sutra explains how.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'll simplify this. I like getting out of the house. I do more than
shop, I volunteer at different places at different times. It's not
really a big deal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/2016 2:14 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Since the leaders are different, it's reasonable to have different
laws. But you only have one president. By all means have different
laws, but have different governments too.

We have 50 governors.

Unfortunately we are beginning to go your way with the EU ****. They
impose stupid laws which all the member countries have to abide by,
although some seem to get away with ignoring them.

Yet you expect us to do the same.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Do up your house :-)

--
"A life without danger is a life not worth living" -- Moist von Lipwig
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , says...

wrote:

[...]

I definitely drive less now that I've retired. I did test drives on
vehicles I worked on way more than I commuted to and from work. However,
since I retired I do sometimes make longer trips than I did during my
working days. The grocery store I frequent is only two blocks away, and
Wally World is only another block past that. The other places like Home
Depot or Lowes or Sams club are just a few miles (maybe 5) away.

--
RonNNN
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Do up my house? I'm not sure what that means.

I do work around the house. My husband cuts down the dead trees, I
split the logs. I enjoy working around the lot. In the winter I can ski
around my lot. It's a nice place.

We shoot, we hike, we kayak. In the winter we ski (not very well) and
go snow shoeing. This place offers a lot of things to do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Surely the phrase "do up" is recognised over there? It means to improve, make better. In this case, so you don't want to "get out of it".

I do work around the house. My husband cuts down the dead trees, I
split the logs. I enjoy working around the lot. In the winter I can ski
around my lot. It's a nice place.

SKI?! Just how big is this place?

We shoot, we hike, we kayak. In the winter we ski (not very well) and
go snow shoeing. This place offers a lot of things to do.

All in your own property?!

--
"All you need is love, money, broadband, good health, satellite TV, a fast car, ......." - The Beatles
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/2016 5:10 PM, RonNNN wrote:
In article , says...

I'll simplify this. I like getting out of the house. I do more than
shop, I volunteer at different places at different times. It's not
really a big deal.

I definitely drive less now that I've retired. I did test drives on
vehicles I worked on way more than I commuted to and from work. However,
since I retired I do sometimes make longer trips than I did during my
working days. The grocery store I frequent is only two blocks away, and
Wally World is only another block past that. The other places like Home
Depot or Lowes or Sams club are just a few miles (maybe 5) away.

Combined, we drive less than 6,000 miles per year. E.g., car is now
7 months old and has *about* 3,000 miles on it.

We tend to group all of our shopping into one "big loop", one day
each week. We arrange this loop to minimize distance traveled,
maximize number of right turns (so we don't have to cross traffic),
etc. We will make 5 to 10 "stops" in the course of 3-4 hours
including grocery stores, home depot/lowes/wallmart, post office,
costco, etc. as needed.

Brutal on the car (as it never really gets up to operating
temperature) but silly to drive just for the sake of driving!

Other trips we try to schedule to share ONE car instead of
needing two. E.g., I will drop SWMBO off at an art class tomorrow
morning before heading off to do some volunteer work in that
part of town. So, even the longer drives are leveraged to
reduce use.

[I *don't* like "getting out of the house" as that often takes me
away from *my* work]
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'm swiss german 9 or 10 generations back, with one generation of
Yankee before becoming Canadian.
My wife is Irish on both sides, 4 or 5 generations back.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a beautiful match. How long have you been together?

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Vast majority of OTR truckers are not allowed to pick up hitch-hikers.
Totally forbidden, in fact.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/2016 6:30 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Unfortunately we are beginning to go your way with the EU ****. They
impose stupid laws which all the member countries have to abide by,
although some seem to get away with ignoring them.

Yet you expect us to do the same.

Because you are one country.

Comprised of 50 individual states with different needs. Our states are
more diverse than the countries of Europe, let alone Great Britain. We
have cities larger than some of the counties in the UK.

New York City has the population of Scotland and Wales combined. I used
to live in a city with population more than Northern Ireland.

Does the UK only have one set of laws? Tiny place like that should.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/2016 6:28 PM, RonNNN wrote:
In article , lid
says...

Brutal on the car (as it never really gets up to operating
temperature) but silly to drive just for the sake of driving!

My wifes old car (two times past) is my running around car, a 98 Monte

"Two times past"? Meaning she's had two cars since then?

Carlo. It still has the original exhaust system. It has nearly 200K miles
on it, but in the last 3 or 4 years has only had maybe 5k put on it. I

I had a 75 Monte Carlo. Land Yacht. Doors took two hands to pull closed!
Living in New England, Midwest, Colorado, etc. was always brutal on
the exhaust systems -- seemed like I was *always* replacing some or all
of it on whatever I happened to be driving.

Here, I don't think I've ever encountered anyone who's had exhaust
work done! (Little rain, no snow and NO salt!)

rotate it every few weeks with my 96 Chevy PU truck just to keep the
batteries up. Her newest car, a 2015 Mazda 6 is still below 7k even with
a few long trips (600 or so one way miles). On the other hand my old

SWMBO used to take annual (driving) trips for "seminars". She'd put
on more miles in the drive up and back as she would for most of the
rest of the year!

truck has had at least 3 mufflers and a couple of (duel) tail pipes
replaced due to rusting out. For the most part the truck got more drive
time than the Monte Carlo, but mostly short drives, just enough to cause
condensation in the pipes. The Monte's exhaust is all stainless steel.

I suspect it is dry enough, here, that the problem isn't as severe.

I've not seen "water in the gas" (at stations) since leaving the colder
climates.

And, I never see water dripping from the tail pipes of vehicles.
OTOH, the ACbrrr is on virtually all year and you regularly encounter
puddles of condensate under vehicles. shrug

I'm more concerned about moisture in the motor oil, wear and tear on
the battery (repeated starting loads), etc.

[batteries and tires are the high turnover items in this climate]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/2016 6:44 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/15/2016 6:30 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Unfortunately we are beginning to go your way with the EU ****. They
impose stupid laws which all the member countries have to abide by,
although some seem to get away with ignoring them.

Yet you expect us to do the same.

Because you are one country.

Comprised of 50 individual states with different needs. Our states are more
diverse than the countries of Europe, let alone Great Britain. We have cities
larger than some of the counties in the UK.

New York City has the population of Scotland and Wales combined. I used to live
in a city with population more than Northern Ireland.

Does the UK only have one set of laws? Tiny place like that should.

Did The British Empire have a single unified set of laws across all its
colonies? Anglican Church big in India??
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , lid
says...

On 2/15/2016 6:28 PM, RonNNN wrote:
In article ,
lid
says...

Brutal on the car (as it never really gets up to operating
temperature) but silly to drive just for the sake of driving!

My wifes old car (two times past) is my running around car, a 98 Monte

"Two times past"? Meaning she's had two cars since then?

Yes we had a 2012 Honda that we traded in on the Mazda 6. We bought the
Honda without a trade-in so that we could keep the Monte Carlo as a
backup vehicle. It (the Monte) has been one of the best cars we've owned.
It was just getting old and we didn't want to trust it for long drives.

Carlo. It still has the original exhaust system. It has nearly 200K miles
on it, but in the last 3 or 4 years has only had maybe 5k put on it. I

I had a 75 Monte Carlo. Land Yacht. Doors took two hands to pull closed!

The 98 MC is more of an mid-sized car compared to the old "boats".

Living in New England, Midwest, Colorado, etc. was always brutal on
the exhaust systems -- seemed like I was *always* replacing some or all
of it on whatever I happened to be driving.

The only thing we deal with in my area is condensation. Far from the
coast and far from the ice and snow. Only on rare occasions are the roads
salted due to icing weather.

[...]

Being in my business all of my vehicles got oil changes at 3k, always.

[batteries and tires are the high turnover items in this climate]

That's another thing the Monte was good at was tire wear. It's first set
of replacement tires was at 100k! I did replace the second set at another
80k, and the ones on it now are only the third set of tires and still
look like new.

--
RonNNN

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It'll be 35 years married in May
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/15/2016 12:28 PM, Muggles wrote:
We may be divided, but we're still connected with ties we'll never be
able to break.

More's the pity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/15/2016 12:31 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Like what? We share the same films and internet, that's about it.

The whole world shares the internet. I watch a lot more Swedish and
Danish movies than British. If I want to watch Wallander, I'll go to the
source.

Of course, we do import a lot of British and Australian actors. They
must work cheap and some of them can even speak fairly intelligible English.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/15/2016 01:04 PM, Muggles wrote:
I guess I base my conclusion on ancestry. English, Irish, and Scottish
(all part of Britain) being in the top 8 ethnicity in the US with a
combined total greater than the number one ranked ethnicity.

Er, the Republic of Ireland is not part of Britain. The overwhelming
number of people who identify as Irish came to this country when the
British *******s tried to starve them to death. Ireland was a net
exporter of food during the Great Hunger, sending beef to the damned
beef eaters. April will be the centennial of the Easter Rising when the
people started to throw off the British yoke.

The Scotch-Irish are another animal entirely. They're the Ulster Scots
that are still hanging onto the six counties by the skin of their
Presbyterian teeth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_a...ulation_Census

In this analysis, the English are trailing the Africans, which the
English gifted us with, and the Mexicans by a good deal.

The real tie to Britain was the WASP plutocrats like Wilson and
Roosevelt that lied us into wars to support Britain.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/15/2016 01:06 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Now that's surprising, I didn't know there were many Germans over
there. Didn't you guys fight the Germans in WWII?

Yeah, and WWI too. If we'd let the Kaiser knock some humility into you
you couldn't have screwed up the mid-East, the Balkans, and triggered
WWII by that slimy deal at Versailles in cahoots with the French.

There was dissent about the US entry into WWI but Woodrow 'He kept us
out of war' Wilson was fast on his feet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schenc...nd_of_the_case

If the Germans and the Irish had their way, you'd be speaking German
now. Like your royal family, come to think of it. Windsor is so much
easier to say than Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/15/2016 01:32 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

And I thought I was bad, having 1/2 North England, 1/4 South England,
1/4 Sweden, and lived in Scotland all my life.

I can speak with three silly accents and don't feel the cold.

The Danes improved the North of England considerably... As did
everybody else, apparently:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-17740638
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/2016 8:51 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 19:35:46 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

No kidding? 36 for us in May, too!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/2016 9:17 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/15/2016 12:28 PM, Muggles wrote:
We may be divided, but we're still connected with ties we'll never be
able to break.

More's the pity.

Why do you say that?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/2016 7:15 PM, RonNNN wrote:

Carlo. It still has the original exhaust system. It has nearly 200K miles
on it, but in the last 3 or 4 years has only had maybe 5k put on it. I

I had a 75 Monte Carlo. Land Yacht. Doors took two hands to pull closed!

The 98 MC is more of an mid-sized car compared to the old "boats".

Yes, the *85* was classified as a "full size" -- despite FEELING like a
mid size. shrug Dunno how the bean counters come to these decisions;
just want to know how much it will cost to insure...

Living in New England, Midwest, Colorado, etc. was always brutal on
the exhaust systems -- seemed like I was *always* replacing some or all
of it on whatever I happened to be driving.

The only thing we deal with in my area is condensation. Far from the
coast and far from the ice and snow. Only on rare occasions are the roads
salted due to icing weather.

In the places I mentioned, salt was often used in lieu of plows.
Of course, there's a point (temperature) where the salt just SITS on
the roadway and doesn't *do* anything (lower freezing point).

In the meantime, it's eating away at your frame, exhaust, etc.

I would have to replace my shoes each Spring from the salt
that the leather had soaked up from the surrounding "slush"

I'm more concerned about moisture in the motor oil, wear and tear on
the battery (repeated starting loads), etc.

Being in my business all of my vehicles got oil changes at 3k, always.

SWMBO's last vehicle got changes every 6 months (3K). Oil never
got a *chance* to get dirty. IIRC, the "high usage" schedule
was much less frequent than that.

[batteries and tires are the high turnover items in this climate]

That's another thing the Monte was good at was tire wear. It's first set
of replacement tires was at 100k! I did replace the second set at another
80k, and the ones on it now are only the third set of tires and still
look like new.

Tires and batteries fail (here) primarily due to temperature.

I stress to SWMBO that the car should be ROLLING when she turns
the wheel (not stopped while the turning wheel just rubs off
rubber onto the hot concrete driveway).

Most folks only buy *one* replacement battery (after the factory
installed fails). Thereafter, just keep returning them for
free replacements (not even reaching the prorated portion of the
warranty schedule!)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/15/2016 01:42 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Does everybody get along?

Hell, no. My grandmother was a Quebecoise and one of my aunts married a
Frenchie. Family picnics were a real battle ground. The damn French
wanted their beer warm and Germans prefer it to be other than the
temperature of warm ****. The Irish don't care as long as there is beer.

I grew up in an ethnically diverse area and most people kept to their
own. There was even the Irish church, the French church, and the German
church as far as Catholics went. Ethnic slurs flew hot and heavy but
mostly it was just in fun.