Posted to alt.home.repair
RonNNN RonNNN is offline

Default OT Idiot lights-out drivers

In article , lid
says...

On 2/15/2016 6:28 PM, RonNNN wrote:
In article ,
lid
says...

Brutal on the car (as it never really gets up to operating
temperature) but silly to drive just for the sake of driving!

My wifes old car (two times past) is my running around car, a 98 Monte

"Two times past"? Meaning she's had two cars since then?

Yes we had a 2012 Honda that we traded in on the Mazda 6. We bought the
Honda without a trade-in so that we could keep the Monte Carlo as a
backup vehicle. It (the Monte) has been one of the best cars we've owned.
It was just getting old and we didn't want to trust it for long drives.

Carlo. It still has the original exhaust system. It has nearly 200K miles
on it, but in the last 3 or 4 years has only had maybe 5k put on it. I

I had a 75 Monte Carlo. Land Yacht. Doors took two hands to pull closed!

The 98 MC is more of an mid-sized car compared to the old "boats".

Living in New England, Midwest, Colorado, etc. was always brutal on
the exhaust systems -- seemed like I was *always* replacing some or all
of it on whatever I happened to be driving.

The only thing we deal with in my area is condensation. Far from the
coast and far from the ice and snow. Only on rare occasions are the roads
salted due to icing weather.

Here, I don't think I've ever encountered anyone who's had exhaust
work done! (Little rain, no snow and NO salt!)

rotate it every few weeks with my 96 Chevy PU truck just to keep the
batteries up. Her newest car, a 2015 Mazda 6 is still below 7k even with
a few long trips (600 or so one way miles). On the other hand my old

SWMBO used to take annual (driving) trips for "seminars". She'd put
on more miles in the drive up and back as she would for most of the
rest of the year!

truck has had at least 3 mufflers and a couple of (duel) tail pipes
replaced due to rusting out. For the most part the truck got more drive
time than the Monte Carlo, but mostly short drives, just enough to cause
condensation in the pipes. The Monte's exhaust is all stainless steel.

I suspect it is dry enough, here, that the problem isn't as severe.

I've not seen "water in the gas" (at stations) since leaving the colder
climates.

And, I never see water dripping from the tail pipes of vehicles.
OTOH, the ACbrrr is on virtually all year and you regularly encounter
puddles of condensate under vehicles. shrug

I'm more concerned about moisture in the motor oil, wear and tear on
the battery (repeated starting loads), etc.

Being in my business all of my vehicles got oil changes at 3k, always.

[batteries and tires are the high turnover items in this climate]

That's another thing the Monte was good at was tire wear. It's first set
of replacement tires was at 100k! I did replace the second set at another
80k, and the ones on it now are only the third set of tires and still
look like new.

--
RonNNN