Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Idiot lights-out drivers

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 14:48:10 -0000, SeaNymph wrote:

On 2/13/2016 7:55 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/13/2016 02:36 PM, Muggles wrote:
I've come close to pulling out in front of a motor cycle at dusk time -
right before people turn their headlights on.

If you want to rob banks you should ride a bike; they're invisible. It
got up to 43 today so I went out for a ride. I'm particularly cautious
this time of year since people don't even think about motorcycles being
in traffic in February around here. Later on in the spring, the city has
a motorcycle awareness campaign but you're on you own in late winter.

While riding a motorcycle can be dangerous, if you're smart, as a rider
you know people in cars often don't see you or ignore you. I rode for
years and really enjoyed it. There's a freedom to it that not much else
on the road gives you.

As long as you can evade the ****ing pigs.

--
The difference between insane asylums and our schools is that in the insane asylum you have to show some improvement before you can get out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 19:46:58 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/14/2016 10:36 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per rbowman:
It
got up to 43 today so I went out for a ride. I'm particularly cautious
this time of year since people don't even think about motorcycles being
in traffic in February...

I'd also worry about black ice.

Busted my butt once on a 40-ish morning riding my MTB into the shadow of
a building where the off-camber wet blacktop wasn't wet any more.

There are hazards. The road crews use copious amounts of gravel on bad
curves and intersections after snow storms. Eventually they get around
to sweeping it off the road but right now unexpected gravel piles can
ruin your day. I regularly ride on dirt but that's a different animal to
gravel on a paved road.

It usually isn't a springtime problem, but as the morning get below
freezing in the fall there are a couple of places I have to watch. The
lawn sprinklers irrigate a substantial part of the street and that can
be ice until the sun gets to it.

Yesterday's ride was on the DR-650, which is a dual sport (enduro).
After a hard winter it helps to have something to scout out road
conditions that can handle deep potholes and stretches of missing pavement.

Why the **** is someone watering their lawn when it's cold enough to freeze? At that temperature, the lawn won't be growing and doesn't need watering!

--
Girl with skirt up run faster than boy with trousers down!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Feb 2016 15:24:07 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/29/2016 3:13 PM, Muggles wrote:

The difference is in this situation, it was only a few months old, and
it's a requirement here to have full coverage insurance on cars that age
if you are making payments on it.

The insurance company is required to restore the vehicle to top
condition with that sort of car insurance. It wouldn't matter if the
car was 4 years old. If it's still financed and payments are being made
on it, and it's insured for full coverage, the insurance company will
fix it.

Unless the cost to fix it is more than book value. Then they give you
the value no matter how much you owe. Some people carry gap insurance
to cover the difference.

One insurance company is advertising they will pay for a one year newer
car if you total yours.

Some insurers will provide "full value" insurance for the first year,
two years, or more.
Some lenders will require this coverage - others will highly recommend
it - and some who are also in the insurance business will provide it.

Don't knaw about in the USA, but up here several large financial
institutions are also insurance companies. (not that I'd recommend
doing insurance - or any other - business with them, but that's
another story completely)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Feb 2016 14:33:18 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

On 2/29/2016 2:21 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 29 Feb 2016 20:13:41 -0000, Muggles
wrote:

On 2/29/2016 2:09 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 29 Feb 2016 05:12:00 -0000, Muggles
wrote:

On 2/28/2016 5:25 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 23:19:40 -0000, Muggles
wrote:

On 2/28/2016 4:44 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 22:39:17 -0000, Muggles
wrote:

On 2/28/2016 8:51 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

I saw 10 female deer crossing, then slammed into the chasing
male at
about 90mph. The deer bounced off the hood, was sliced in two
by the
pointy end of the canoe, then one half took out the mirror.
Intestines
all over the engine bay, it stank for ages. I was stopped by the
police
a month later with the car in pretty much the same state, but the
numberplate had split right through and was hanging off. I was
told off
because my numberplate might come loose and kill someone. I said
that
only happens in the movies and he lost his temper.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/welvh9v6yu...amage.jpg?dl=0

My son nearly hit a deer a few weeks ago, and avoiding it he
ended up
jumping a ditch and someones driveway in the process. It took like
$11,000 to repair the damage and 3 weeks to get it done.

Why do people buy vehicles that expensive? Or was most of the
damage to
the driveway? Surely a wall doesn't cost anything like that much.

It was a new car and had full coverage insurance.

Ever heard of depreciation?

yeah, but it didn't matter since it was a new car and had full coverage
insurance on it.

Depreciation means the car becomes worth a lot less after a few years,
even if you don't use it. So it does matter.

I know that.

The difference is in this situation, it was only a few months old, and
it's a requirement here to have full coverage insurance on cars that age
if you are making payments on it.

The insurance company is required to restore the vehicle to top
condition with that sort of car insurance. It wouldn't matter if the
car was 4 years old. If it's still financed and payments are being made
on it, and it's insured for full coverage, the insurance company will
fix it.

Yes, it probably didn't matter if you crashed it (although your premiums
would go up), but my point is nobody should ever buy a new car. They
cost way more than a 2nd hand one.

I've never owned a new car - always used. My son and husband both
bought a new vehicle at least once.

I bought one. That one cured me. My younger daughter bought one (her
third car) and most likely won't ever buy another one - although she
has had VERY good luck with hers .

However, I'm glad there are people out there with the money to buy new
cars every few years and take care of them, otherwise there would be
nothing for me to buy.

For some people buying new makes sense - just not for me and a lot of
people I know.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/29/2016 01:21 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Yes, it probably didn't matter if you crashed it (although your premiums
would go up), but my point is nobody should ever buy a new car. They
cost way more than a 2nd hand one.

I bought my pickup new in '86. What difference, at this point, does it make?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/29/2016 03:17 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Why the **** is someone watering their lawn when it's cold enough to
freeze? At that temperature, the lawn won't be growing and doesn't
need watering!

Automatic sprinklers. The site in question is a business plaza. All the
landscaping is done by contractors. In the spring, they'll turn the
irrigation, check the heads, and set the timers. In the fall, generally
late October, they'll shut it down and blow out the lines. No thought
goes into it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 05:31:52 -0000, Muggles
wrote:

On 2/13/2016 11:02 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/13/2016 09:26 PM, Muggles wrote:
I've never been fond of riding motor cycles myself. Kind of scary.
How
do you get used to it?

I don't know. Start when you are young and stupid? I was never too
comfortable flying and gave it up eventually even though I
intellectually realize it's a lot safer than bikes. In fact the guy who
taught me to fly was an ag pilot as was his father. Despite parking a
few planes in a tree, which is one of the occupational hazards of ag
flying, his father was killed on a motorcycle. It's definitely not
rational.

I had an uncle who took me for a motor cycle ride around his
neighborhood when I was a teen. Scared some sense into me, and never
got on another one since then.

I knew a load of friends on motorbikes when I was a teenager. They are
all fine. The only friend that died was in a car....

When I was getting married I had to promise to quit smoking, bike riding
and sky diving. So far I have kept the promise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've lost a few cousins and a few friends to Motorcycle accidents,
and a few more are carrying extra hardware around because of them. A
couple from non-powered bikes as well. I started driving motorbike at
17 and gave up my last one when the kids were young teanagers - so
just over 20 years ago. Now it's just the electric assist bike..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 08:19:31 -0000, Bod wrote:

On 16/02/2016 21:25, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 18:20:29 -0000, Bod wrote:

On 16/02/2016 18:06, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 17:59:35 -0000, Bod wrote:

On 16/02/2016 17:30, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 17:23:13 -0000, Bod wrote:

On 16/02/2016 17:07, SeaNymph wrote:
On 2/16/2016 9:16 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/16/2016 05:58 AM, SeaNymph wrote:
On 2/15/2016 9:25 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/15/2016 12:31 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Like what? We share the same films and internet, that's
about it.

The whole world shares the internet. I watch a lot more
Swedish and
Danish movies than British. If I want to watch Wallander, I'll
go to
the
source.

We watch Wallander. Never heard of anyone else watching it, much
less
even knowing about it.

I like Mankell's books and the series is better than most US crime
dramas. That's the Swedish one with Krister Henriksson. I've never
seen
the BBC version.

I haven't read the books, I'll have to check them out.

Do you get one of our very popular programs called QI?
Up till last week Stephen Fry hosted it.

What happened last week? Don't tell me, he's been jailed along with
Harris....

He's had enough of presenting the program.

Is someone else taking over, because I can't see anyone else filling his
shoes.

I think it's Sandy Torsvig (spelling ?).

You're only watching QI because I reminded you of it. Thank me profusely.

I've watched QI every week for as many years as I can remember and still do.

Then you must have watched each one more than once.

--
Jazz is what you get when you push a blues quartet down a long flight of stairs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 15:00:56 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/16/2016 02:19 AM, Bod wrote:

Oh dear, you do realise that there are 55 countries that drive on the left?

afaik, they all had some sort of British influence. I don't think any
invented it on their own.

Shows you how great we were. Influencing that many.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 21:40:30 -0000, wrote:

On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 16:43:05 +0000, Bod wrote:

On 16/02/2016 15:00, rbowman wrote:
On 02/16/2016 02:19 AM, Bod wrote:

Oh dear, you do realise that there are 55 countries that drive on the
left?

afaik, they all had some sort of British influence. I don't think any
invented it on their own.

Samoa chose to change to driving on the left in 2009.

Because virtually all cars in Samoa are used vehicled exported from
Japan when it gets too expensive to license them there due to age and
the strange Japanese road tax laws.

Japan has some stupid rule about cars over 3 years old being too dangerous.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 01:45:21 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/16/2016 09:43 AM, Bod wrote:
On 16/02/2016 15:00, rbowman wrote:
On 02/16/2016 02:19 AM, Bod wrote:

Oh dear, you do realise that there are 55 countries that drive on the
left?

afaik, they all had some sort of British influence. I don't think any
invented it on their own.

Samoa chose to change to driving on the left in 2009.

The Kiwis finally addled their minds... There is a economic advantage
to buying from Australia, New Zealand, and Japan when you live in that
part of the world.

You read from the left, why not drive from the left? Also it means your right hand (most people are right handed) is nearest a window for rude gestures.

--
Did you know? Jizz can be used as invisible ink.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

This fast?
https://youtu.be/YFGfECSwgjg

--
19 Brits have died in the last 3 years believing that christmas decorations were chocolate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 07:53:33 -0000, Micky wrote:

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 22:29:09 -0500, Micky
wrote:

How can anything dental be that much of an emergency? It's just sore, take a paracetamol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paracetamol
"Paracetamol, also known as acetaminophen or APAP, is a medication
used to treat pain and fever."

Same active ingredient as Tylenol.

Acetaminaphin has very limited pain killing power.

Then take Ibuprofen at the same time. Toothache isn't any worse than say a headache.

Anyhow THAT'S WHAT 24 HOUR DENTISTS ARE FOR. Maybe in small cities,
including Baltimore where I live, you can't find someone between 10PM
and 8AM

It was silly of me to think I couldn't find a 24 hour dentist in
Baltimore, or cities much smaller. It's just that unlike the last
time, these days, no dentist will pay for a listing in the phone book
that says this, because a) phone books are out b) dentists who do this
change all the time, so now there are services.

There are at least 3 listed for Baltimore, with 800 numbers

but WHY YOU WOULD WANT TO SUFFER WHEN THERE ARE PEOPLE YOU
CAN PAY TO END YOUR SUFFERING, I DON'T KNOW

It's hardly suffering. I don't see a doctor every time I get a headache.

--
We used to mock the Americans' litigiousness, political correctness, health & safety obsessions and the like.
Now Britain is full of lazy lard buckets who'll sue for everything they can get if they even stub their toe on something.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/03/2016 19:04, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Thu, 03 Mar 2016 18:21:58 -0000, Bod wrote:

On 03/03/2016 18:00, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Thu, 03 Mar 2016 17:33:22 -0000, Bod wrote:

On 03/03/2016 17:19, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2016 05:15:52 -0000, Muggles
wrote:

On 2/14/2016 9:31 PM, wrote:

Unfortunately he was dead when he 'arrived' at Elizabeth City on or
about February 16th 1623. The first recorded spelling of the family
name is shown to be that of Richard de Clare, which was dated 1086,
The Domesday Book for County Suffolk, England, during the reign of
King William 1, 1066 - 1087. Surnames became necessary when
governments introduced personal taxation. In England this was
known as
Poll Tax. Throughout the centuries, surnames in every country have
continued to "develop" often leading to astonishing variants of the
original spelling.

I like the name Clare. You said it was short for "Clarence", so that
makes sense.

Joseph is male, but Josie isn't.

Josie can be male, in Portugal though.

Isn't that Hosé?

No, but it is in Spain.

Don't the portguweez speak Spanish too?

Mirandese is the only recognised regional language spoken in Portugal
(beside Portuguese, the only official language in Portugal). Spanish and
calão (the way caló, language of the Iberian Romani, is referred to in
Portuguese).
Portuguese language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_language

--
Bod

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/14/2016 9:31 PM, wrote:

[...]

I thought they were pretty similar, so a test using Google Translate:
English: This is a random sentence intended to compare Spanish with Portuguese.
Spanish: Esta es una frase al azar que equipare español con el portugués.
Portuguese: Esta é uma frase aleatória destina-se a comparar Espanhol com Português.
Fairly the same. Probably easy to understand someone speaking one if you know the other fluently.

--
What the best way to get a guy to stop smoking after sex?
Fill his waterbed with gasoline.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/14/2016 9:31 PM, wrote:

[...]

All of the latin based languages have enough similarity to be
confusing - that includes French, Italian, Portugese and Spanish. Just
enough difference to really screw you up - and even the difference
between potugese portugese and brazilian portugese, or parisienne
french and quebecois or Cajun French can really throw you a curve ball
- particularly when spoken. Written is not quite so bad.

Heck, even english from one area to another can be virtualluy
unintelligible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/14/2016 9:31 PM, wrote:

[...]

Italian and Spanish is easy to convert. Italian words end in O and Spanish end in A.

--
Impeccable, adjective: something which cannot be destroyed by the beak of a parrot. Scientists have yet to discover such a substance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 04:45:11 -0000, wrote:

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 21:52:16 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 21:39:00 -0000, wrote:

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 20:23:33 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 20:13:24 -0000, wrote:

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 15:32:20 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 04:19:59 -0000, wrote:

On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 19:44:50 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 02/12/2016 04:31 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
An even stupider thing about daytime running lights is they don't turn
the tail lights on, which means there are now loads of people driving
around at night with only the front lights on, not realising they are
unlit at the back. If you have no front lights on in the day, when it
gets dark you notice.

Been there, done that, and had a hard time explaining to the cop that
headlights with no tail lights did not mean the tail lights were
defective. That I had to explain how it worked speaks to the relatively
few vehicles with DRL's here.
And the "ignorance" of law enforcement officers

No, the stupidity of the car manufacturer. If the front lights are going to be on all the time, then so should the back ones, that's how Volvos always worked.

You've never seen a volvo with DRLs?

My father had one decades ago, before DRL was anywhere but Sweden.

Anyway, not putting on your taillights is just as bad if not a worse offence than having defective ones, as you could say you didn't realise they were defective.

Ignorance is no excuse. As a driver YOU have the responsibility of
checking your vehicle and making sure it is in safe operating
condition.

That's what I bloody said you moron. You said above that the law enforcement officers were being ignorant, which is irrelevant.

I never said the police officer was BEING ignorant - I said he WAS
ignorant of how DRLs work. VERY different

Those are the same thing. He doesn't know how DRLs work, so he is ignorant of that particular piece of knowledge.

No "being " ignorant is being a prick Being a prick IS irrelevant.
Not knowing how the lighting system of a vehicle works - and that DRLs
usually don't turn on the tail-lights, for a law enforcement officer,
is NOT irrelevant.

DRLs not turning on the tail lights is a fault of the car design. Lights on or lights off, make up your mind.

Forgetting to put your lights on is as serious as having faulty ones. The net result is the same, no lights. And in fact it should be MORE serious, and in the UK it is. If I forget to wear a seatbelt, or forget to stay under the speed limit, I get a fine. If I have a bald tyre or a faulty bulb because I haven't checked it recently, I have to get it fixed within 2 weeks, but no fine.

Here in North America - either Canada or the USA, you also get a fine
if you forget to put your lights on and get stopped. (or drive without
seat belts) But here you can also be charged with operating an unsafe
vehicle for driving on a bald tire or with defective lighting
equipment. The officer MAY give you a "grace period" if it is not a
commercial vehicle, but he doesn't have to. You are usually charged on
the spot - with the priveledge of explaining in court why you should
not be found guilty and why you should not be fined.

Ouch, glad I don't live there. Here in the UK I was stopped for going 95mph in a 70mph limit, driving with half my exhaust missing, one bald tyre, one soft tyre, one tyre with a split in the side, and a non-functional handbrake. I got a "pink slip" to get the defects fixed in 2 weeks then stamped by a mechanic, and they forgot the speeding offence.

Damned sure I'm glad there is an entire ocean between where you drive
and where I drive, is all I can say about that.

Here that car would be pulled off the road and it would cost you a
hefty towing bill to get tit to a garage to have it repaired AND you
would be charged with operating an unsafe vehicle on a public road,
AND in Ontario you would be getting close to having your vehicle
immediately impounded and your licence suspended for a minimum of 7
days, with that suspension being held against your record for 3 years.
Just about 5mph short. Exceding the speed limit by 50kph (roughly
30mph) will get you that charge - with an associated fine of between
$2000 and $1000 and a possibility of 6 months in jail upon summary
conviction. The suspension may also be extended to up to 2 years, and
good luck getting anything resembling affordable auto insurance for
the next 3 to 5 years minimum.
Oh - and you pay the towing and impound fees too - which can be quite
sizeable...

What problem do you think my car was causing? I was on a straight clear motorway and making a bit more noise than the other cars. Big deal.

--
An ostrichs eye is bigger than its brain.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/03/2016 12:04 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Don't the portguweez speak Spanish too?

**** no.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/03/2016 03:07 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Yes, but it's always Jo for men and Josie for women.

So what was Josey Wales given name? Answer wrong and Clint Eastwood will
bitch slap you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 04 Mar 2016 02:33:44 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 03/03/2016 12:04 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Don't the portguweez speak Spanish too?

**** no.

Nu...nu...nu...nu...near enough.

--
If a man is standing in the middle of the forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?