Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Idiot lights-out drivers

On 02/28/2016 07:40 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
The city is 98% so presumably your pasty
face will stand out like a neon sign.

98% what?

Black. Want a few?

It's also the 19th most dangerous city in the world. You'll note that
there isn't a city in Europe or the UK that's even on the world list.
When Europeans rant about the US crime rate, it's **** holes like ESL,
Detroit, and Baltimore that load the statistics.

Putting all the ****s in one place doesn't change fact that the US is
full of arseholes.

At least they aren't as tightly packed as they are in the UK.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 19:41:22 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/28/2016 07:40 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
The city is 98% so presumably your pasty
face will stand out like a neon sign.

98% what?

Black. Want a few?

They're preferable to Muslims.

It's also the 19th most dangerous city in the world. You'll note that
there isn't a city in Europe or the UK that's even on the world list.
When Europeans rant about the US crime rate, it's **** holes like ESL,
Detroit, and Baltimore that load the statistics.

Putting all the ****s in one place doesn't change fact that the US is
full of arseholes.

At least they aren't as tightly packed as they are in the UK.

Yes, we're overpopulated. That's because of our stupid child benefits system. The government pays people to have kids! WTF?

--
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day. Teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks, months, maybe years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/28/2016 07:47 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 00:57:26 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/27/2016 03:47 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Even if it's a straight road, surely if you're going at the max speed of
the bike, you have to be more alert and careful.

Alert and careful of what? Passing antelope? They usually don't play in
the road.

Balance. Staying in a straight line. Avoiding any potholes.

You're not paying attention. The faster a bike goes, the greater the
gyroscopic effect. A few years ago during a bit of insanity called the
Iron Butt Rally (10,000 in 10 days, iirc) a rider had some sort of
coronary event and fell off his bike. They had a hard time finding the
actually body since the bike proceeded for quite a distance on its own
and was found leaning against a guard rail.

Strangely, there aren't that many potholes on the highways in the west.
Compared to cities and the eastern roads they are lightly traveled. They
are also well drained compared to urban roads.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 19:48:36 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/28/2016 07:47 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 00:57:26 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/27/2016 03:47 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Even if it's a straight road, surely if you're going at the max speed of
the bike, you have to be more alert and careful.

Alert and careful of what? Passing antelope? They usually don't play in
the road.

Balance. Staying in a straight line. Avoiding any potholes.

You're not paying attention. The faster a bike goes, the greater the
gyroscopic effect. A few years ago during a bit of insanity called the
Iron Butt Rally (10,000 in 10 days, iirc) a rider had some sort of
coronary event and fell off his bike. They had a hard time finding the
actually body since the bike proceeded for quite a distance on its own
and was found leaning against a guard rail.

But the slightest movement would send you on the wrong direction.

Strangely, there aren't that many potholes on the highways in the west.
Compared to cities and the eastern roads they are lightly traveled. They
are also well drained compared to urban roads.

No frost problems?

--
Sprinter Tim Montgomery is banned 2 years for doping.
Track officials began to suspect he might be juicing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/28/2016 07:51 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
I saw 10 female deer crossing, then slammed into the chasing male at
about 90mph. The deer bounced off the hood, was sliced in two by the
pointy end of the canoe, then one half took out the mirror.

Obviously, you weren't alert and careful Wildlife, and on the open
range, domestic stock are a problem unless you're riding a bicycle. I'm
sure if you look hard enough there have been deer versus bicycle
accidents too.

I had one who had safely crossed the two travel lanes and was standing
on the grass median. When I was about 50 yards away he suddenly
remembered he'd left something where he came from. Since I was driving a
Kenworth it was 'THUNK! thunk, thunk, thunk, sorry Bambi.' That was back
when the bumpers were steel and it did bend it a bit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 19:56:14 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/28/2016 07:51 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
I saw 10 female deer crossing, then slammed into the chasing male at
about 90mph. The deer bounced off the hood, was sliced in two by the
pointy end of the canoe, then one half took out the mirror.

Obviously, you weren't alert and careful

I was watching the females carefully. They passed 200 yards in front of me and no more were coming.

Oh yeah!!! That took out one of those ****ing cyclists big time!
https://youtu.be/wtuMmBvDBME

I had one who had safely crossed the two travel lanes and was standing
on the grass median. When I was about 50 yards away he suddenly
remembered he'd left something where he came from. Since I was driving a
Kenworth it was 'THUNK! thunk, thunk, thunk, sorry Bambi.' That was back
when the bumpers were steel and it did bend it a bit.

Rabbits are the stupidest creatures. I avoided 15 rabbits in the space of 5 minutes by using ABS brakes. Then I decided to drive on sidelights only. When they see dipped beam they think, "I know, I'll stay still, that'll be safe".

--
"Sir, your daughter says she loves me, she can't live without me, and wants to marry me."
"And you're asking my permission to marry her?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/28/2016 8:51 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

I saw 10 female deer crossing, then slammed into the chasing male at
about 90mph. The deer bounced off the hood, was sliced in two by the
pointy end of the canoe, then one half took out the mirror. Intestines
all over the engine bay, it stank for ages. I was stopped by the police
a month later with the car in pretty much the same state, but the
numberplate had split right through and was hanging off. I was told off
because my numberplate might come loose and kill someone. I said that
only happens in the movies and he lost his temper.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/welvh9v6yu...amage.jpg?dl=0

My son nearly hit a deer a few weeks ago, and avoiding it he ended up
jumping a ditch and someones driveway in the process. It took like
$11,000 to repair the damage and 3 weeks to get it done.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 22:39:17 -0000, Muggles wrote:

On 2/28/2016 8:51 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

I saw 10 female deer crossing, then slammed into the chasing male at
about 90mph. The deer bounced off the hood, was sliced in two by the
pointy end of the canoe, then one half took out the mirror. Intestines
all over the engine bay, it stank for ages. I was stopped by the police
a month later with the car in pretty much the same state, but the
numberplate had split right through and was hanging off. I was told off
because my numberplate might come loose and kill someone. I said that
only happens in the movies and he lost his temper.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/welvh9v6yu...amage.jpg?dl=0

My son nearly hit a deer a few weeks ago, and avoiding it he ended up
jumping a ditch and someones driveway in the process. It took like
$11,000 to repair the damage and 3 weeks to get it done.

Why do people buy vehicles that expensive? Or was most of the damage to the driveway? Surely a wall doesn't cost anything like that much.

--
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the **** happened.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It was a new car and had full coverage insurance.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Ever heard of depreciation?

--
Archimedes principle: When a body is fully immersed in water, the telephone rings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/28/2016 5:44 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Why do people buy vehicles that expensive? Or was most of the damage to
the driveway? Surely a wall doesn't cost anything like that much.

In the USA we like big, fast cars. Our streets are larger than Europe
and gas is less than half the price of Europe. Right now we can buy a
gallon for $1.65 US or 1.2 GBP

Some of us do buy inexpensive economical cars, many of us like larger
more luxurious cars with lots of goodies. I drive about 23,000 miles a
year so I want to do it in comfort. Fact is, I can spend a lot less and
still get to my destination. My choice was luxury.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 23:25:38 -0000, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/28/2016 5:44 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Why do people buy vehicles that expensive? Or was most of the damage to
the driveway? Surely a wall doesn't cost anything like that much.

In the USA we like big, fast cars. Our streets are larger than Europe
and gas is less than half the price of Europe. Right now we can buy a
gallon for $1.65 US or 1.2 GBP

Some of us do buy inexpensive economical cars, many of us like larger
more luxurious cars with lots of goodies. I drive about 23,000 miles a
year so I want to do it in comfort. Fact is, I can spend a lot less and
still get to my destination. My choice was luxury.

If I was you I'd buy an old gas guzzler. Cheap fuel, no depreciation. Don't care if I crash it.

--
A backward poet writes inverse.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/28/2016 6:29 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 23:25:38 -0000, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/28/2016 5:44 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Why do people buy vehicles that expensive? Or was most of the damage to
the driveway? Surely a wall doesn't cost anything like that much.

In the USA we like big, fast cars. Our streets are larger than Europe
and gas is less than half the price of Europe. Right now we can buy a
gallon for $1.65 US or 1.2 GBP

Some of us do buy inexpensive economical cars, many of us like larger
more luxurious cars with lots of goodies. I drive about 23,000 miles a
year so I want to do it in comfort. Fact is, I can spend a lot less and
still get to my destination. My choice was luxury.

If I was you I'd buy an old gas guzzler. Cheap fuel, no depreciation.
Don't care if I crash it.

Your choice, of course. I could easily have found reasonably reliable
transportation for $40,000+ less. I like satellite radio, climate
control, heated steering wheel, all sorts of technology. I'm planning
to to die broke.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 23:56:05 -0000, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

You can get second hand cars with technology in them.

--
"The hands that help are better far than lips that pray." - Robert Ingersoll (1833-1899)
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

In Scotland, you can cancel your full credit cards and they can't do anything about it.

--
"The hands that help are better far than lips that pray." - Robert Ingersoll (1833-1899)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/28/2016 7:05 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Some of us do buy inexpensive economical cars, many of us like larger
more luxurious cars with lots of goodies. I drive about 23,000 miles a
year so I want to do it in comfort. Fact is, I can spend a lot less
and
still get to my destination. My choice was luxury.

If I was you I'd buy an old gas guzzler. Cheap fuel, no depreciation.
Don't care if I crash it.

Your choice, of course. I could easily have found reasonably reliable
transportation for $40,000+ less. I like satellite radio, climate
control, heated steering wheel, all sorts of technology. I'm planning
to to die broke.

You can get second hand cars with technology in them.

Yes you can. I bought many a used car earlier in my life. Once I was
able to do so, I chose new cars equipped exactly the way I wanted. I
know it is not a good investment but that is not a factor in my
decision. For the price I paid for my present car I could have bought
five serviceable used cars.

If no one ever bought a new car you'd eventually run out of used cars to
buy. I'm doing you a favor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 20:33:55 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

I like buying them used That way I get the well equipped cars for
well less than the cost of a bare-bones vehicle new.

The old 6 years old, 60,000 miles for $6000 has worked well for me
over the years but the last one had half the miles, was twice as old,
and cost me an extra $500.
10 years old with 54000Km for $6500. It's almost to the 100,000km
(60,000 miles) now and 14 years old. I bought a set of tires and
brakes and a battery for it now, as well as a door lock switch and a
key sensor coil module. Not counting tires and battery, I've spent
under $300 on repairs in 4 years. I know lots of people who have spent
more on new cars. It had a little issue with the air blend motor too -
but resetting it solved the problem at no cost.

It is a pretty well loaded SES Taurus - Everything on it I would have
ordered if I bought it new except for leather.

Then there is my truck. 1996 Ranger long box with cap and liner. $.0
liter 5 speed 3.55 posi, came with 14" alloys. I bought it 4 years ago
with 307,000km with a bad clutch cyl and a cracked windshield in
showroom condition for $1500.
If I bought it new it would have had a CD stereo instead of the
casette, and it would have had AC.. I might have popped for the
convenience pack - power locks and windows.

I spent $900 to have the clutch cyl and clutch replaced - the clutch
was hardly worn at all but I replaced it while it was apart. I didn't
have the luxury of the time to do it myself - so I paid shop rate to
have it done. The new original equipment windshield cost me something
like $360.

I put AC in it at a cost ofsomething like $350 using about half used
parts from a truck a friend was scrapping. I bought a decent
aftermarket stereo on sale for $70.

I replaced the 14" alloys with 16 inchers and a new set of Michelin
tires about a year later, and replaced the front brakes with oversized
(11 inch) rotors. I bought another set of used alloys and a set of
Hakkepillitta snows (total cost of tires and rims about the same as I
paid for the truck)

Repair-wize, I've replaced the universal joints. I bought cheap ones a
year ago, and one failed again this winter - so I replaced them both
with higher quality ones - total cost for 4 joints about $80. I
replaced the driver's door handle and the latches on the cap for about
$30,00. Last week I blew one of the tailgate struts - replacement cost
$50 for the pair. It was a bit slow starting on real cold days so this
week I sprung for a new AGM battery for $220 - the battery I replaced
was the second battery in the truck and was 10 years old. I've
replaced one brake light bulb.

Other than the clearcoat pealing on the roof of the cap, it is still
pretty much in showroom condition at 340,000+km on it.

From the extensive service records that came with the truck, and the
word of the original owner, virtually everything else on the truck is
still original, ( one evap control solenoid replaced early in it's
life) so I'll likely need to spend a bit of money over the next few
years but my repair costs over 5 years will be less than the second
ot third year's depreciation on a new truck. One of these days I'm
SURE I'll have to replace the original headlight bulbs!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/28/2016 12:49 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
But the slightest movement would send you on the wrong direction.

Much less than you would think. At speed a bike requires considerable
input to turn. There are many factors from rake and trail to tire
design, but there is also considerable rotational inertia. There are
exceptons like BMW boxer engines and the Moto Guzzis, but on most bikes
the crank, sprockets, wheels, and so forth are all rotating in the same
plane.

Consider some of this craziness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8W0vqqhTuE

The really good (or crazy) riders can generate enough body english to
momentarily twist the bike off its axis but they had better let it
restore itself before it lands. Landing slightly sideways means more
plaster, more pins, and more screws in various body parts -- if you're
lucky. And that's all angular momentum. There are no contact patches.

No frost problems?

From my non-scientific observations, very few. For one thing, it's a
semi-arid climate. 15" of precipitation a year is on the high side. Then
you need a frost susceptible soil. Concrete slab construction is very
rarely used and asphalt is more flexible. That's not to say there is no
frost damage at all but compared to the roads back in the northeast it's
negligible.

The city street can get rough, but they're chipseal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipseal

Chipseal is a wonderful technique. You pour tar on the road, dump
copious quantities of crushed stone, and let the traffic do the
compacting. Maybe sometime later they will come by and sweep up a few
tons of gravel that accumulates along the shoulder. Since it depends on
traffic to compact the surface, longitudinal ruts are a given. Coming to
a stop light on a bike you have to position yourself so you're not on
the high part in the center or reaching pavement with a foot without
falling over can be tricky. But it's cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/28/2016 12:47 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Yes, we're overpopulated. That's because of our stupid child benefits
system. The government pays people to have kids! WTF?

There is a segment in this country that believes not fetus should be
left unborn. One it is born, they don't much give a **** about its
welfare. Considering minorities have a disproportionately higher number
of abortions, go Planned Parenthood!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/28/2016 03:28 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Rabbits are the stupidest creatures. I avoided 15 rabbits in the space
of 5 minutes by using ABS brakes. Then I decided to drive on sidelights
only. When they see dipped beam they think, "I know, I'll stay still,
that'll be safe".

Around here rabbits are scarce enough that I'm startled to see one. We
have these creatures called coyotes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote

They're hell on rabbits and house cats. Sheep too, given half a chance.
Cattle are above their pay grade except during calving season. Then
there are the hawks, cougars, and the random fox.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

yeah, but it didn't matter since it was a new car and had full coverage
insurance on it.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Just plonk the old Macaw. He isn't worth wasting keystrokes on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/28/2016 8:33 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/28/2016 7:05 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Your choice, of course. I could easily have found reasonably reliable
transportation for $40,000+ less. I like satellite radio, climate
control, heated steering wheel, all sorts of technology. I'm planning
to to die broke.

You can get second hand cars with technology in them.

Yes you can. I bought many a used car earlier in my life. Once I was
able to do so, I chose new cars equipped exactly the way I wanted. I
know it is not a good investment but that is not a factor in my
decision. For the price I paid for my present car I could have bought
five serviceable used cars.

If no one ever bought a new car you'd eventually run out of used cars to
buy. I'm doing you a favor.

That's the kindest thing anyone has done on Usenet,
in ages.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Depreciation means the car becomes worth a lot less after a few years, even if you don't use it. So it does matter.

--
An English woman who has been blind for 26 years got her sight back after suffering a heart attack.
Unfortunately, after she was able to see her doctors bill she had several more heart attacks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Why don't you plonk me? You said you did, yet you're still replying to me.

--
My sex life is so bad that when I called one of those phone sex lines,
a voice came on and said, "Not tonight. I have an earache."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I know that.

The difference is in this situation, it was only a few months old, and
it's a requirement here to have full coverage insurance on cars that age
if you are making payments on it.

The insurance company is required to restore the vehicle to top
condition with that sort of car insurance. It wouldn't matter if the
car was 4 years old. If it's still financed and payments are being made
on it, and it's insured for full coverage, the insurance company will
fix it.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yes, it probably didn't matter if you crashed it (although your premiums would go up), but my point is nobody should ever buy a new car. They cost way more than a 2nd hand one.

--
Don't waste money on binoculars, stand closer to the object.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/29/2016 3:13 PM, Muggles wrote:

The difference is in this situation, it was only a few months old, and
it's a requirement here to have full coverage insurance on cars that age
if you are making payments on it.

The insurance company is required to restore the vehicle to top
condition with that sort of car insurance. It wouldn't matter if the
car was 4 years old. If it's still financed and payments are being made
on it, and it's insured for full coverage, the insurance company will
fix it.

Unless the cost to fix it is more than book value. Then they give you
the value no matter how much you owe. Some people carry gap insurance
to cover the difference.

One insurance company is advertising they will pay for a one year newer
car if you total yours.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Feb 2016 20:24:07 -0000, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/29/2016 3:13 PM, Muggles wrote:

The difference is in this situation, it was only a few months old, and
it's a requirement here to have full coverage insurance on cars that age
if you are making payments on it.

The insurance company is required to restore the vehicle to top
condition with that sort of car insurance. It wouldn't matter if the
car was 4 years old. If it's still financed and payments are being made
on it, and it's insured for full coverage, the insurance company will
fix it.

Unless the cost to fix it is more than book value. Then they give you
the value no matter how much you owe. Some people carry gap insurance
to cover the difference.

One insurance company is advertising they will pay for a one year newer
car if you total yours.

What annoys me is that insurance pays for new parts when your car is 6 years old. You should get 6 year old parts.

--
Q: What's the difference between an Irish funeral and an Irish wedding?
A: One less drunk.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've never owned a new car - always used. My son and husband both
bought a new vehicle at least once.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/29/2016 2:24 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/29/2016 3:13 PM, Muggles wrote:

The difference is in this situation, it was only a few months old, and
it's a requirement here to have full coverage insurance on cars that age
if you are making payments on it.

The insurance company is required to restore the vehicle to top
condition with that sort of car insurance. It wouldn't matter if the
car was 4 years old. If it's still financed and payments are being made
on it, and it's insured for full coverage, the insurance company will
fix it.

Unless the cost to fix it is more than book value. Then they give you
the value no matter how much you owe. Some people carry gap insurance
to cover the difference.

One insurance company is advertising they will pay for a one year newer
car if you total yours.

I've heard if the insurance company says it's totaled they'll do what
you mentioned. Seems insurance companies differ slightly on those policies.
--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 13:36:25 -0000, Robert Green wrote:

"rbowman" wrote in message
stuff snipped

Been there, done that, and had a hard time explaining to the cop that

headlights with no tail lights did not mean the tail lights were
defective.

I'm guessing that's at least part of why DRL's never gained wide
acceptance - they gave the cops probable cause to pull someone over and then
find a REAL reason to eff with them. Seems dippy to cut the rear lights
when the purpose of DRL's is to make a car more visible.

Rear lights are more important, they're the cars on the same side of the road as you.

--
A juggler, driving to his next performance, is stopped by the police. "What are these matches and lighter fluid doing in your car?" asks the cop.
"I'm a juggler and I juggle flaming torches in my act."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 20:25:08 -0000, wrote:

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 09:07:11 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

On 2/13/2016 6:38 AM, Gene Yuss wrote:
On 02/13/2016 12:23 AM, Don Y wrote:
People zone out when driving. They get "acclimated" to a particular
set of stimuli -- then tend to ignore it.

If you want to be noticed, you have to stand out by "being different".
E.g., a headlight that flashes, etc.

This is the rationale for every tweek to the safety equipment (e.g., now
center mounted brake lights *flash* when first applied; it's not enough
that they are UP HIGH, in your LINE OF SIGHT -- cuz you've gotten used
to seeing them there and now "tune them out".

Brake lights should broadcast a wifi signal that flashes the
smartphone screens of the texting driver(s) behind you when
you apply the brakes. Or is there already an app for that?

Ha! Or, "we interrupt this call to tell you that you're about
to *ss-end the vehicle in front of you. Please hang up so we can
autodial your insurance carrier..."

[Actually, I suspect there will be pressure for phones to
report the "their" speed of travel whenever they "notice"
a sudden, instantaneous change (decrease) in speed! Perhaps
not legislated but, rather, insurance company incentives.
Given how integrated telecoms are becoming with new cars,
it wouldn't be hard for the car to "tattle" on the driver.
IIRC, our owner's manual essentially says this -- though
in an obtuse way.]

many vehicles currently record the last "X" seconds of information -
speed, steering input, brake input etc in a loop that is stopped when
the airbags go off, so the speed at impact and weather the brakes were
applied or not is frozen fr all time.

Invasion of privacy.

--
Birthdays are good for you. Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest. (Rev. Larry Lorenzoni)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 21:36:47 -0000, Muggles wrote:

On 2/13/2016 3:33 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/13/2016 10:24 AM, Muggles wrote:
A lady in a mini-van looked straight at a motor cyclist coming towards
her in the opposite lane and still turned left in front of him. The guy
on the motor cycle ended up laying the motor cycle down on it's side and
he got injured. She did stop at that point and took responsibility for
her actions.

She's better than most. You can make eye contact, or at least think
you've made contact, and still be ignored. You're not a SUV, you're not
a threat, so it just doesn't register.

I've come close to pulling out in front of a motor cycle at dusk time -
right before people turn their headlights on.

Funny, I notice motorbikes more than cars. They go faster and they're unusual. And until the ****wits put DRLs on their cars, they were lit up more than cars were.

--
A man comes out of a shopping mall to find that the side of his parked car is rammed in.
Seeing a note under the windshield, he read it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 05:31:52 -0000, Muggles wrote:

On 2/13/2016 11:02 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 02/13/2016 09:26 PM, Muggles wrote:
I've never been fond of riding motor cycles myself. Kind of scary. How
do you get used to it?

I don't know. Start when you are young and stupid? I was never too
comfortable flying and gave it up eventually even though I
intellectually realize it's a lot safer than bikes. In fact the guy who
taught me to fly was an ag pilot as was his father. Despite parking a
few planes in a tree, which is one of the occupational hazards of ag
flying, his father was killed on a motorcycle. It's definitely not
rational.

I had an uncle who took me for a motor cycle ride around his
neighborhood when I was a teen. Scared some sense into me, and never
got on another one since then.

I knew a load of friends on motorbikes when I was a teenager. They are all fine. The only friend that died was in a car....

--
After Christmas vacation, an elementary school teacher was asking her students how they celebrated Christmas.
When she got to Sammy, whose father ran a local toy store, she said, "Sammy, since you're Jewish, I guess your family didn't celebrate Christmas."