Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Idiot lights-out drivers

On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 20:56:29 -0000, Tony Hwang wrote:

Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 03:29:10 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/19/2016 10:44 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

I've done one of the above and I'll leave you to guess which.

Scotland; where men are men and the sheep are nervous. Actually, we say
that about Wyoming but what the hell. I never saw it but I understand
'Brokeback Mountain' let that sheep out of the bag.

Only Aberdeen. Wales is more sheep country. See sig:

--
What do you call 4 sheep tied to a post in Wales?
A leisure centre!

Speaking of Wales, I remember a fellow from Wales saying
he couldn't communicate when he visited his granny living in
London as a little kid. I understand Welsh is somewhat
different from English. One of my wife's niece married a
Scottish fellow and she lives over there. When she comes home
for a visit, she sounds funny.

They have their own language (mainly only the northern parts), but they can all speak English too. Like some Scots speak Gaelic, but they also speak English.

The Welsh accent does sound amusing, but it's very very easy to understand, and I've never known a Welshman not understand someone from England.

--
On a Continental Flight with a very "senior" flight attendant crew, the pilot said,
"Ladies and gentlemen, we've reached cruising altitude and will be turning down the cabin lights.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT left turns (was OT Idiot lights-out drivers)

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 05:41:28 -0000, Don Y wrote:

On 2/17/2016 5:59 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/17/2016 6:09 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 00:43:26 -0000, Don Y
wrote:

On 2/15/2016 5:10 PM, RonNNN wrote:
In article ,
says...

I'll simplify this. I like getting out of the house. I do more than
shop, I volunteer at different places at different times. It's not
really a big deal.

I definitely drive less now that I've retired. I did test drives on
vehicles I worked on way more than I commuted to and from work. However,
since I retired I do sometimes make longer trips than I did during my
working days. The grocery store I frequent is only two blocks away, and
Wally World is only another block past that. The other places like Home
Depot or Lowes or Sams club are just a few miles (maybe 5) away.

Combined, we drive less than 6,000 miles per year. E.g., car is now
7 months old and has *about* 3,000 miles on it.

We tend to group all of our shopping into one "big loop", one day
each week. We arrange this loop to minimize distance traveled,
maximize number of right turns (so we don't have to cross traffic),

That's rather anal. Either that or you're a really **** driver and
scared of turning left.

I vote for anal

In her defense, there are many reasons why lefts should be avoided.

First, leaving a place of business (i.e., with no traffic control signal
applicable to your entering the roadway) means you have to cross at least
3 lanes of traffic (full shoulder plus two full lanes) before you are
able to merge with traffic moving in the direction that you intend.
Of course, you may NOT have an opening in that traffic flow so you're
stuck in the path of traffic coming at you from the left.

[unless there's a center lane into which you can merge and wait it out]

Arranging all rights INCLUDING BUSINESS ACCESS/EXIT avoids this.

Turning left at a controlled intersection incurs a time penalty;
you likely have to wait for a left turn signal (no such problem with
right turning traffic). And, unless you do so with a left turn
arrow, you're again crossing several lanes of oncoming traffic.

As most businesses (here) are located on the main arterials,
there are often two or more left turn lanes. These two tend to
map into 3 or more on the targeted roadway. If you happen to be
in the rightmost of these turn lanes, you have to HOPE the
guy in the leftmost actually turns into his target lane (i.e.,
the innermost) and doesn't opt to turn wide (because he wants
to get a head start moving to the right lane AFTER the turn)

[i.e., as if he is changing lanes WHILE turning]

Turning right you have *your* lane turning into a special lane
reserved for you *or* the right lane of traffic; there's never
anyone turning ALONGSIDE you that you have to watch for.

Posted previously:
,76m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x86d66f8252320bfb:0x5ec7d 10263490e02
zoom out and you will see the TWO left turn lanes are almost 300 ft long!

He
,306m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x86d66f8252320bfb:0x5ec7d 10263490e02
the east bound left turn lanes (to turn north) are 400 ft long!

The same is true, he
,306m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x86d66f8252320bfb:0x5ec7d 10263490e02

We have lagging lefts so ALL of the left turn lanes tend to fill backing
up left turning traffic into the leftmost *travel* lane. In the last
example, southeast bound traffic is frequently backed up to the
Post Office entrance a full quarter mile northwest of the intersection.
This reduces traffic flow THROUGH the intersection as a travel lane is
effectively lost.

The eastbound two left turn lanes he
,306m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x86d66f8252320bfb:0x5ec7d 10263490e02
are ore than 600 ft long. Left (north) turning traffic backs up to the
intersection cited above -- half a mile to the southwest!

Then, we have these weird legal definitions for our "intersections".
Returning to the first cited URL, note that east/west traffic is stopped.
the cars are effectively *at* their respective "stop lines" (a few
are encroaching on their cross walks). The white car headed east,
turning right (south) in the lower left has not YET entered the
intersection! Despite being some 30 ft PAST his stop line!

He, however, can turn right on red so can be considered to be in
the PROCESS of turning right -- albeit slowly. However, the white
car in the rightmost left turn (to be heading north) will eventually
creep past his stop line (when the light turns green), entering
INTO the crosswallk. He'll essentially be stuck here waiting for
oncoming traffic to provide a crossing opportunity. Or, worst case,
for a left arrow.

You can see there is room for ~three cars to have crossed that stop
line -- and still not have LEGALLY entered the intersection!
If the light turns red, they are prohibited from progressing
farther into the intersection (must be completely IN the intersection
to not trigger a violation).

For lagging lefts, you're faced with the decision (when light turns
yellow), "Do I think I can get the entire vehicle past that line
farthest INTo the intersection to be legal"?

For LEADING lefts (we have both -- to confuse the tourists!), if you
arrive at the intersection AFTER the left arrow (i.e., while through
traffic has green), you queue in that left turn lane. Everyone wants
to be as far INTO the intersection as possible -- because the yellow
that follows will NOT result in a left arrow but, rather, a solid red.
Opt to play it safe (i.e., NOT cross the stop line) and risk incurring
the wrath of those folks behind you.

Throw pedestrians into the mix and its relatively easy for traffic
to get bound up by left-turners (a right-turner can invariably continue
along after the pedestrian has cleared the walk)

Arrange all your travels to be right turns and you get where you
want quicker, risk fewer accidents and violations AND tend to have a
less stressful experience! ("Why the hell didn't that guy in front
of me go through the light? Crap, now I'll have to wait an entire
cycle...")

Yes, it's quicker, and satnavs allow for this. But not enough diffrence to go miles out of your way to avoid them.

As for accidents, learn to drive. Only learner drivers pick the easy junctions.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/t...turn_left.html

Left turns are the bane of traffic engineers. Their idea of utopia runs
clockwise. (UPS' routing software famously has drivers turn right whenever
possible, to save money and time.) The left-turning vehicle presents not only
the aforementioned safety hazard, but a coagulation in the smooth flow of
traffic. It's either a car stopped in an active traffic lane, waiting to turn;
or, even worse, it's cars in a dedicated left-turn lane that, when traffic is
heavy enough, requires its own "dedicated signal phase," lengthening the delay
for through traffic as well as cross traffic. And when traffic volumes really
increase, as in the junction of two suburban arterials, multiple left-turn
lanes are required, costing even more in space and money.

They've mucked with all sorts of different ideas trying to keep traffic
moving without adding more lanes. As left turns eat up a lot of
roadway AND contribute significantly to congestion, there's an incentive
to get folks away from them.

Some parts of downtown have adopted the "every road one-way with alternate
roads traveling in opposing directions".

[widening roads downtown is considerably harder as there are no setbacks
there]

Roundabout. I gather they don't have many in America yet.

--
Definition of a secretary:
An office fixture that isn't permanent until it's been screwed on the boss's desk.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/20/2016 01:43 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

You can also see a police car miles away, so go as fast as your engine
will permit and relieve the boredom.

All your police cars have big signs that say 'Police'? Convenient.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/news/...hot-and-nasty/

Around here they favor Dodge Chargers in subtle shades of black. Not
much to see until they turn the party lights on. He's painted you with
LIDAR from half a mile away, so you're cooked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/20/2016 01:48 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

I never felt the desire to touch any, just like I don't rub my fingers
all over paintings in an art gallery.

The public library where I grew up was an ornate structure in the
American Renaissance style dating back to 1897. There was a bronze bas
relief of a classical scene in the entrance vestibule. What the scene
was escapes my memory but it featured a buxom, bare chested woman. By
the '60s the relief had acquired the patina of age -- except for the
very well polished breast.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/20/2016 01:56 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Speaking of Wales, I remember a fellow from Wales saying
he couldn't communicate when he visited his granny living in
London as a little kid. I understand Welsh is somewhat
different from English. One of my wife's niece married a
Scottish fellow and she lives over there. When she comes home
for a visit, she sounds funny.

Welsh has altogether too many consonants for any civilized language. My
favorite:

ll
an aspirated 'l' which does not occur in English, sounded by
placing the tongue so as to say 'l' and hissing out of one side of the
mouth, e.g., "llan"

http://www.madog.org/dysgwyr/gramadeg/gramadeg1.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/20/2016 6:23 PM, rbowman wrote:
The public library where I grew up was an ornate structure in the American
Renaissance style dating back to 1897. There was a bronze bas relief of a
classical scene in the entrance vestibule. What the scene was escapes my memory
but it featured a buxom, bare chested woman. By the '60s the relief had
acquired the patina of age -- except for the very well polished breast.

I think it is only natural -- esp for a place like Karchner.
You see something that really *does* look like an egg -- and "need proof"
that it is NOT soft like an egg!

Likewise, the strips of bacon *suggest* they'll really FEEL like bacon.
"I'll just rub my finger tips along them lightly..."

And, the gravity defying nature of helictites almost *begs* you
to verify that they aren't "rubbery".

Wanna bet the soda straws wouldn't last a WEEK without the
accompanying "gestapo"?? :
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/20/2016 05:41 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Roundabout. I gather they don't have many in America yet.

Unfortunately, no... They are quite popular in the aptly named New
England where they drank the Puritan Kool-Aid. However, they've become
popular here, mostly to obstruct traffic. The city engineers refer to it
as calming traffic.

The usual technique is to pile crap in the middle of a perfectly good
intersection. They used to plant flowers to decorate them until they
realized that large trucks like moving vans had no choice but to run
over them. Even the larger pickups and SUVs tend to have problems.

They are as popular as bulb-outs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curb_extension

Their chief purpose seems to be forcing bicyclists from the bicycle lane
into traffic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 01:41:52 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/20/2016 05:41 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Roundabout. I gather they don't have many in America yet.

Unfortunately, no... They are quite popular in the aptly named New
England where they drank the Puritan Kool-Aid. However, they've become
popular here, mostly to obstruct traffic. The city engineers refer to it
as calming traffic.

The usual technique is to pile crap in the middle of a perfectly good
intersection. They used to plant flowers to decorate them until they
realized that large trucks like moving vans had no choice but to run
over them. Even the larger pickups and SUVs tend to have problems.

They are as popular as bulb-outs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curb_extension

Their chief purpose seems to be forcing bicyclists from the bicycle lane
into traffic.

We have that **** here too. Normally reducing two lanes to one, causing one car to have to give way (yield), often with no indication of who is supposed to have priority. So you either get two cars stopping and holding things up, or two cars almost colliding with each other.

We've got one particularly stupid one here, on a blind bend on a steep hill. They've actually given priority to the cars going UP the hill, so the ones coming downhill round a sharp bend are suddenly presented with cars charging uphill and not stopping, so they have to try to come to a halt on a slippery steep surface. I warned our council there was going to be a nasty accident, especially if a pedestrian was on the sticky out bit waiting to cross, and do you know what she said? We don't want to make people do hill starts. I told her hill starts were part of the driving test and she hung up.

--
Don't take life so seriously, it's not permanent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

You are a ****ing idiotic ******.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

North American roundabouts should cause no confusion at all - the car
in the roundabout has priority. Never stop IN a roundabout except for
pedestrians. If properly marked, multi-lane roundabouts are very
simple - follow the makings on the pavement to your intended exit.
Properly signed, you don't have to be able to see the markings (in
case of snow etc) NEVER overtake a vehicle in a roundabout. As long as
you stay behind the vehicle ahead of you and don't try to pass them,
it is impossible to have a colission in a roundabout - and as long as
vehicles entering the roundabout yield to the vehicle already in the
roundabout it is also impossible to have a colision in a roundabout.

We have tons of them here in Waterloo region - one of which has proven
to be a major pain in the derriere and is located very close to a high
school. It has never been properly signed and marked - and people tend
to pass in it because it is too large - and all it would take to solve
half the problems would be to have a few officers enforcing the law
for a couple random hours a day for a week or two.

Roundabouts have finally been re-incorporated into the ontario highway
traffic act - which may also help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Or a queue of traffic leaving it obviously!

There are stupid ones here where they actually put traffic lights halfway round a roundabout.

If properly marked, multi-lane roundabouts are very
simple - follow the markings on the pavement

I prefer to follow the markings on the road :-)

Actually, isn't there some kind of major difference between (I think) USA and UK roundabouts, or it might be French and UK, not sure? On one if you follow the lane you're in, you will go round and round forever, at some point you must move out one lane to escape. On the other, if you follow the lane you're in, you will leave at an exit.

to your intended exit.
Properly signed, you don't have to be able to see the markings (in
case of snow etc) NEVER overtake a vehicle in a roundabout.

Rubbish. I do that all the time. You'll need to adjust this for driving on the right:
I approach a small roundabout with three exits including the road I'm coming from.
I'm in the left lane out of two lanes when I reach the roundabout. Another car is in the right lane.
I am taking the first exit and he is taking the second. There is no reason we can't overtake each other, as we're not crossing paths.
In fact I've never known anyone say you must keep at the same speed as other cars on a roundabout, you simply look in your mirror before shifting lane.

The problem here is nobody bothers using their ****ing indicators, so nobody knows where anybody is going.

We have tons of them here in Waterloo region - one of which has proven
to be a major pain in the derriere and is located very close to a high
school. It has never been properly signed and marked - and people tend
to pass in it because it is too large - and all it would take to solve
half the problems would be to have a few officers enforcing the law
for a couple random hours a day for a week or two.

Police make matters worse, whenever I see a policeman, there's a tailback. Following the rules exactly is very inefficient.

Roundabouts have finally been re-incorporated into the ontario highway
traffic act - which may also help.

We have a joke over here that Americans don't have roundabouts because they're too complicated.

--
You are The One. But not The One. The One who is not The One, but is Another One. But you are that One who is The One who is The Other One who is, in fact, The One. All is lost.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/21/2016 02:27 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

We have a joke over here that Americans don't have roundabouts because
they're too complicated.

The one in the area where I grew up was notorious. The weekly accident
was good for the body shops.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latham_Circle

The new ones around here are too small. Each quadrant is only large
enough for one vehicle which makes the signals ambiguous even if they
are used. You can't safely enter until the other vehicle has committed
to its exit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 00:41:05 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/21/2016 02:27 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

We have a joke over here that Americans don't have roundabouts because
they're too complicated.

The one in the area where I grew up was notorious. The weekly accident
was good for the body shops.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latham_Circle

The new ones around here are too small. Each quadrant is only large
enough for one vehicle which makes the signals ambiguous even if they
are used. You can't safely enter until the other vehicle has committed
to its exit.

I've never tried it but looking at the Magic Roundabout in England, I'd have no idea which ****ing way to go!

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/1024/me...ut_470x350.jpg

I think I'd either crash into several people, or end up going round in several circles before finding my exit.

--
The reason your print job died unexpectedly is because we lost coolant to the firewall and the ether in the net blew up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/21/2016 06:11 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
I've never tried it but looking at the Magic Roundabout in England, I'd
have no idea which ****ing way to go!

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/1024/me...ut_470x350.jpg

We have a similar one in the States:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0dSYXQ0Loo

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 21:34:09 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 02/21/2016 06:11 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
I've never tried it but looking at the Magic Roundabout in England, I'd
have no idea which ****ing way to go!

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/1024/me...ut_470x350.jpg

We have a similar one in the States:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0dSYXQ0Loo

When you get 7 or more exits in the same ring it gets interesting. It
can turn into a merry-go-round as you look for your exit. Doing it
anti-clockwise makes it even more interesting. The Great North
roundabout in Lusaka was "interesting" on a motorbike.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 02/21/2016 06:11 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
I've never tried it but looking at the Magic Roundabout in England, I'd
have no idea which ****ing way to go!

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/1024/me...ut_470x350.jpg

We have a similar one in the States:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0dSYXQ0Loo

When you get 7 or more exits in the same ring it gets interesting. It
can turn into a merry-go-round as you look for your exit. Doing it
anti-clockwise makes it even more interesting. The Great North
roundabout in Lusaka was "interesting" on a motorbike.

I've annoyed drivers in the past by going round a mini roundabout about three revolutions while I decide on the exit. You need a car with a decent turning circle though, which is quite rare.

You'd think in this day and age they could make cars that could do a U-turn on a two lane street without using the handbrake.

--
"If women are so bloody perfect at multitasking,
How come they can't have a headache and sex at the same time?" - Bill Connolly
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 01:23:02 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/20/2016 01:48 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

I never felt the desire to touch any, just like I don't rub my fingers
all over paintings in an art gallery.

The public library where I grew up was an ornate structure in the
American Renaissance style dating back to 1897. There was a bronze bas
relief of a classical scene in the entrance vestibule. What the scene
was escapes my memory but it featured a buxom, bare chested woman. By
the '60s the relief had acquired the patina of age -- except for the
very well polished breast.

Ok, that would be an exception, you just have to cop a feel of a breast.

--
Mary's lamb had foot and mouth.
The vet he came and shot it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 01:28:17 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/20/2016 01:56 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Speaking of Wales, I remember a fellow from Wales saying
he couldn't communicate when he visited his granny living in
London as a little kid. I understand Welsh is somewhat
different from English. One of my wife's niece married a
Scottish fellow and she lives over there. When she comes home
for a visit, she sounds funny.

Welsh has altogether too many consonants for any civilized language. My
favorite:

ll
an aspirated 'l' which does not occur in English, sounded by
placing the tongue so as to say 'l' and hissing out of one side of the
mouth, e.g., "llan"

http://www.madog.org/dysgwyr/gramadeg/gramadeg1.html

Bet you can't do it without spitting.

--
A woman standing nude in front of a mirror says to her husband: "I look horrible, I feel fat and ugly, pay me a compliment."
He replies, "Your eyesight is perfect."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Feb 2016 01:11:47 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/20/2016 01:43 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

You can also see a police car miles away, so go as fast as your engine
will permit and relieve the boredom.

All your police cars have big signs that say 'Police'? Convenient.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/news/...hot-and-nasty/

Around here they favor Dodge Chargers in subtle shades of black. Not
much to see until they turn the party lights on. He's painted you with
LIDAR from half a mile away, so you're cooked.

In Scotland it is illegal for a cop to do you for speeding in an unliveried vehicle. I have been done for not wearing a seatbelt by an unliveried vehicle, but he wasn't allowed to do me for speeding. He then joked about my bumper sticker which says "Vehicle limited to 155mph, please be patient".

--
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one -- George Bernard Shaw

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Feb 2016 01:35:21 -0000, wrote:

On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 09:09:28 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per rbowman:
'They Drive By Night' with Bogart,
that's what the laws were written for. Not quite the same as driving
down the interstate with the cruise control set to 65, the air
conditioning cranked up, and good tunes on the mp3 player.

My takeaway from reading interviews with various OTR drivers is that
their primary worry is falling asleep at the wheel - and they have a
number of strategies for dealing with that, CB radio conversations and
singing to oneself among them.

My kid brother told a cop one time when he was questioned about
talking on the CB, and handsfree telephone "you don't really want me
driving WITHOUT distractions, do you???" as he was motoring across
Sakatchewan - - -

WTF?

--
People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Per rbowman:
'They Drive By Night' with Bogart,
that's what the laws were written for. Not quite the same as driving
down the interstate with the cruise control set to 65, the air
conditioning cranked up, and good tunes on the mp3 player.

My takeaway from reading interviews with various OTR drivers is that
their primary worry is falling asleep at the wheel - and they have a
number of strategies for dealing with that, CB radio conversations and
singing to oneself among them.

My kid brother told a cop one time when he was questioned about
talking on the CB, and handsfree telephone "you don't really want me
driving WITHOUT distractions, do you???" as he was motoring across
Sakatchewan - - -

WTF?

You can't really understand if you've never driven across Saskatchewan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saskat...anola_Flax.jpg

Now you've seen pretty much all there is to see and there's 405 miles of
it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

So he was referring to the distractions as keeping him awake?
Did the excuse work?
I think the best way to keep awake is to drive fast.

--
Keyboard error - press any key to continue...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"rbowman"
My kid brother told a cop one time when he was
questioned about
talking on the CB, and handsfree telephone "you don't
really want me
driving WITHOUT distractions, do you???" as he was
motoring across
Sakatchewan - - -

WTF?

You can't really understand if you've never driven across
Saskatchewan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saskat...anola_Flax.jpg

Now you've seen pretty much all there is to see and
there's 405 miles of it.

My last motorcyle trip was to Flin Flon Manitoba with a
friend back in July
2006. We were on the border with Saskatchewan looking at the
map
and considering continuing on but said 'nah' , we'll go back
through Winnepeg!
Funny thing though. All the way up to FF and back we were
asked 'where you
going?' . When we said FF the standard answer was ' are you
crazy? are you
nuts? nobody goes to FF! '. Even from a RCMP cop and at the
customs
booth in International Falls Minn.! But it was a good trip
not to be regretted.
Now I'm too old and disabled to ride due to MS but the
memories are good.
phil k. 69 yrs old...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 16:10:17 -0000, Phil Kangas wrote:

"rbowman"
[...]

Anywhere you haven't been before is a good place to visit.

--
What is the first thing a blonde learns when she takes driving lessons?
You can also sit upright in a car.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/27/2016 05:37 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
So he was referring to the distractions as keeping him awake?
Did the excuse work?

Don't know. That was someone else who mentioned the kid brother.

I think the best way to keep awake is to drive fast.

Why? Back when there was no daylight speed limit in this state I'd
cruise at around 100. If I had a Hayubusa it would have been closer to
140. You get from a to b faster but it's no more interesting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 20:25:32 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/27/2016 05:37 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:
So he was referring to the distractions as keeping him awake?
Did the excuse work?

Don't know. That was someone else who mentioned the kid brother.

I think the best way to keep awake is to drive fast.

Why? Back when there was no daylight speed limit in this state I'd
cruise at around 100. If I had a Hayubusa it would have been closer to
140. You get from a to b faster but it's no more interesting.

I'm not talking about interest, I'm talking about the things you have to do. If you're going twice as fast, there's twice as much information to process, and twice as mcuh stuff to do with the controls. I have on occasion driven slowly on a motorway. I tried a long journey at 55mph for economy, and I went at 70 when I was running low on points on my license. On both occasions I felt myself nodding off due to absolute boredom. But driving at the usual speed of 100mph, I have enough to keep me occupied controlling the car.

--
Crazy Laws in towns of the state of Illinois:
The English language is not to be spoken.
You must contact the police before entering the city in an automobile.
You may be convicted of a Class 4 felony offense, punishable by up to three years in state prison, for the crime of "eavesdropping" on your own conversation. -720 ILCS 5/14-2.
Law forbids eating in a place that is on fire.
It is forbidden to fish while sitting on a giraffe's neck.
It is legal to protest naked in front of city hall as long as you are under seventeen years of age and have legal permits.
One may not pee in his neighbor's mouth.
Humming on public streets is prohibited on Sundays.
Wheelbarrows with For-Sale signs may not be chained to trees.
A man with a moustache may not kiss a woman.
It is illegal to go trick-or-treating on Halloween.
It is unlawful to change clothes in an automobile with the curtains drawn, except in case of fire.
It is illegal to expectorate from any second-story window.
It is against the law to use a slingshot unless your are a law enforcement officer.
A rooster must step back three hundred feet from any residence if he wishes to crow. Hens that wish to cackle must step two hundred feet back from any residence.
Bees are not allowed to fly over the village or through any of Kriland's streets.
Ice skating at the Riverside pond during the months of June and August is prohibited.
There is a ban on unnecessary repetitive driving on 23rd Avenue.
It is against the law to make faces at dogs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 20:29:41 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/27/2016 09:15 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Anywhere you haven't been before is a good place to visit.

And you've never been to East St. Louis...

I've never been to America. So I don't know what point you're making.

--
If there's a fire why not just open the fire exit to let it out?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/27/2016 09:15 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Anywhere you haven't been before is a good place to visit.

And you've never been to East St. Louis...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/27/2016 01:26 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
I'm not talking about interest, I'm talking about the things you have to
do. If you're going twice as fast, there's twice as much information to
process, and twice as mcuh stuff to do with the controls.

Do what with the controls? The Harley has a poor man's speed control --
a screw that holds the throttle in position. I've been known to take my
hands off the bars, stretch out my arms, and play airplane when I'm
bored. Unless there are side winds, there's enough gyroscopic effect a
bike will go straight forever and the road damn well does. You're in
fifth, really wishing there was a sixth, so you're not going to be
shifting for an hour or two. That's mostly because the tank on a
Sportster isn't that big and you'll have to stop in Lame Mule for gas.
Information to process? I never got into counting the prairie dogs in
eastern Montana.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 22:46:01 -0000, rbowman wrote:

[...]

Even if it's a straight road, surely if you're going at the max speed of the bike, you have to be more alert and careful.

--
I just took a leaflet out of my mailbox, informing me that I can have sex at 75.
I'm so happy, because I live at number 71.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/27/2016 01:29 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 20:29:41 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/27/2016 09:15 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Anywhere you haven't been before is a good place to visit.

And you've never been to East St. Louis...

I've never been to America. So I don't know what point you're making.

The only difference between East St. Louis and Mogadishu is the natives
speak English. Sort of. I shouldn't single out ESL; there are plenty of
places in the US you don't want to visit.

"Down in the part of town where when you hit a red light you dont stop"

'Johnny 99' Bruce Springsteen

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 22:49:34 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/27/2016 01:29 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 20:29:41 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/27/2016 09:15 AM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Anywhere you haven't been before is a good place to visit.

And you've never been to East St. Louis...

I've never been to America. So I don't know what point you're making..

The only difference between East St. Louis and Mogadishu is the natives
speak English. Sort of. I shouldn't single out ESL; there are plenty of
places in the US you don't want to visit.

"Down in the part of town where when you hit a red light you dont stop"

'Johnny 99' Bruce Springsteen

Sounds a bit like the myth that if you go to Australia you'll get bitten by a deadly spider.

--
A redhead tells her blonde stepsister, "I slept with a Brazilian...." The blonde replies, "Oh my God! You slut! How many is a brazilian?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/27/2016 04:01 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Sounds a bit like the myth that if you go to Australia you'll get bitten
by a deadly spider.

Whatever. You pays your money and you takes your chances:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_St._Louis,_Illinois
http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/m...the-world.html

ESL is the most dangerous city in the US with a crime rate close to 20
times the national average. The city is 98% so presumably your pasty
face will stand out like a neon sign.

It's also the 19th most dangerous city in the world. You'll note that
there isn't a city in Europe or the UK that's even on the world list.
When Europeans rant about the US crime rate, it's **** holes like ESL,
Detroit, and Baltimore that load the statistics.

You can travel most of the US in complete safety. However there are
places you don't want to go just because you're never been there. From
the UK it would be cheaper for you to fly down to Cape Town. Skip the
tourist safe spots and head for Cape Flats. The difference is there are
tourist safe spots in Cape Town, unlike ESL.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/27/2016 03:47 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Even if it's a straight road, surely if you're going at the max speed of
the bike, you have to be more alert and careful.

Alert and careful of what? Passing antelope? They usually don't play in
the road.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 17:57:26 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 02/27/2016 03:47 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Even if it's a straight road, surely if you're going at the max speed of
the bike, you have to be more alert and careful.

Alert and careful of what? Passing antelope? They usually don't play in
the road.

Kid brother took out a herd of 16 or more with his rig one
nignt.Blood, guts, and antelope **** all over the truck and pretty
much destroyed the fiber-glass hood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 00:42:48 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/27/2016 04:01 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Sounds a bit like the myth that if you go to Australia you'll get bitten
by a deadly spider.

Whatever. You pays your money and you takes your chances:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_St._Louis,_Illinois
http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/m...the-world.html

ESL is the most dangerous city in the US with a crime rate close to 20
times the national average.

If you put 1% of your people in jail, how can there be any criminals left?

The city is 98% so presumably your pasty
face will stand out like a neon sign.

98% what?

Putting all the ****s in one place doesn't change fact that the US is full of arseholes.

You can travel most of the US in complete safety. However there are
places you don't want to go just because you're never been there. From
the UK it would be cheaper for you to fly down to Cape Town. Skip the
tourist safe spots and head for Cape Flats. The difference is there are
tourist safe spots in Cape Town, unlike ESL.

I don't think anyone is allowed into the US anymore are they? Customs won't let tourists in anymore. Bring in a cigar, or a used handkerchief (really!) and you'll not get in.

--
A group of cowboys were branding some cattle.
While they were out the cook saw a sheep tied to a post. Thinking it was for that nights dinner he cooked it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 00:57:26 -0000, rbowman wrote:

On 02/27/2016 03:47 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Even if it's a straight road, surely if you're going at the max speed of
the bike, you have to be more alert and careful.

Alert and careful of what? Passing antelope? They usually don't play in
the road.

Balance. Staying in a straight line. Avoiding any potholes.

--
We cannot see the future.
We cannot change the past.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 02/27/2016 03:47 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
Even if it's a straight road, surely if you're going at the max speed of
the bike, you have to be more alert and careful.

Alert and careful of what? Passing antelope? They usually don't play in
the road.

Kid brother took out a herd of 16 or more with his rig one
nignt.Blood, guts, and antelope **** all over the truck and pretty
much destroyed the fiber-glass hood.

I saw 10 female deer crossing, then slammed into the chasing male at about 90mph. The deer bounced off the hood, was sliced in two by the pointy end of the canoe, then one half took out the mirror. Intestines all over the engine bay, it stank for ages. I was stopped by the police a month later with the car in pretty much the same state, but the numberplate had split right through and was hanging off. I was told off because my numberplate might come loose and kill someone. I said that only happens in the movies and he lost his temper.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/welvh9v6yu...amage.jpg?dl=0