Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default OT Idiot lights-out drivers

On 02/17/2016 05:59 AM, wrote:
Sitting in the cab in traffic is worse than sitting at the truckstop.
The truckstop os rest time - you can make that up in miles later.
Sitting in the cab is driving time - it's logged the same as if you
were doing a mile a minute down the highway and cannot be made up
later without fudging the logs.

There was no electronic logging when I was driving so you just made up
the time and logged accordingly. I only ever had one cop question the
times and that was a bored yahoo that appeared out of a cornfield in the
middle of Nebraska. First, he didn't know you log your home time and not
the local time. Then he questioned how I got from Council Bluffs to
David City in an hour. It was my second log book, a complete act of
fiction, and that was the closest thing to reality in it.

The company expected you to get the job done. As they got larger they
started to play by the rules. They realized a DOT audit of the real logs
wouldn't hold up.

Some drivers were upset since running legal meant less money in their
pocket but I didn't mind a more leisurely approach. Being a lab
experiment in sleep deprivation isn't fun. The 1930's style DOT
regulations didn't help either. Legally a day became 19 hours or so, 10
hours driving, 8 off, and 2 1/2 hour breaks. Canada was much more
realistic with the 14 hour limit that fit into the normal, human
circadian pattern.