Posted to alt.home.repair
Mr Macaw Mr Macaw is offline

Default OT Idiot lights-out drivers

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 16:54:31 -0000, Mike Duffy wrote:

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016 06:38:07 -0700, Gene Yuss wrote:

Brake lights should broadcast a wifi signal that flashes the
smartphone screens of the texting driver(s) behind you when
you apply the brakes. Or is there already an app for that?

How about coded beeps from the horn to warn drivers & pedestrians close by
who are NOT texting. I would not recommend this simply for applying the
brakes, and probably the beeps should be a bit muted. But it could give a
heads-up to those close at hand when:

1) The ABS is active. Usually, this means that the driver has allowed his
speed to exceed the safe limit to bring the car to stop without activating
the ABS. Possibly the car cannot stop to avoid hitting a pedestrian, and
the driver will not have time to think about sounding the horn.

Incorrect, I activate ABS all the time. It means I'm fully utilising the ability of the car.

2) Automatic redar-controlled braking is was actived. Usually, this means
that either the driver or a nearby pedestrian has erred in judgement.

I don't have that fitted, but if I did, I'd be inclined not to bother braking for anything, and let the car do it for me.

3) The lane-keeping alarm was sounded within the car. Possibly the driver
is impaired by fatigue, texting, or intoxicants. Warn everyone nearby.

I wonder, do those things activate if you change lanes on a motorway without indicating? Or is it clever enough to work out how quickly you're changing lanes? Surely sometimes you might change lane fairly slowly, in which case how would it know you hadn't done it in error?

I wish they did activate if you didn't indicate, that would stop all those morons who don't know what an indicator stalk is. Car will not allow lane change without indication!

--
People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs