Posted to alt.home.repair
Mr Macaw Mr Macaw is offline

Default OT Idiot lights-out drivers

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 14:39:53 -0000, Scott Lurndal wrote:

writes:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 18:59:11 -0000, "Mr Macaw" wrote:

You do realise your eye has an iris which works like the aperture in a camera?
Sure do

Clearly not. The point is if a bright light is shone into your eye, everything else becomes darker. The amount of light required to attract your attention is an order of magnitude less than the amount required to illuminate what's in front of you. That's why dipped beam brightness of lights should only be used in the dark.

You are just being an ass. DRLs are not "shining in your eyes" in
daylight from half a mile away. They are headlights at half intensity.
They have virtually no effect on your eyes, as in "closing the iris" -

I do remember reading of some aircraft camo techniques experimented
with during WWII where forward facing lights were attached to the
wings causing the aircraft to blend in with the sky; seemed to be
somewhat effective during daylight bright skies.

Probably not much of an issue for DRL, however.

Since some stats show they increase safety and some show they decrease safety, it looks rather like they have zero overall effect. So no point in them! Perhaps we should concentrate on removing people from driving who can't see a car in broad daylight without being helped out by lights.

--
What comes after 69?
Mouthwash.