Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default OT Idiot lights-out drivers

On 2/17/2016 6:09 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 00:43:26 -0000, Don Y
wrote:

On 2/15/2016 5:10 PM, RonNNN wrote:
In article ,
says...

I'll simplify this. I like getting out of the house. I do more than
shop, I volunteer at different places at different times. It's not
really a big deal.

I definitely drive less now that I've retired. I did test drives on
vehicles I worked on way more than I commuted to and from work. However,
since I retired I do sometimes make longer trips than I did during my
working days. The grocery store I frequent is only two blocks away, and
Wally World is only another block past that. The other places like Home
Depot or Lowes or Sams club are just a few miles (maybe 5) away.

Combined, we drive less than 6,000 miles per year. E.g., car is now
7 months old and has *about* 3,000 miles on it.

We tend to group all of our shopping into one "big loop", one day
each week. We arrange this loop to minimize distance traveled,
maximize number of right turns (so we don't have to cross traffic),

That's rather anal. Either that or you're a really **** driver and
scared of turning left.

I vote for anal
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/t...turn_left.html

Left turns are the bane of traffic engineers. Their idea of utopia runs
clockwise. (UPS' routing software famously has drivers turn right
whenever possible, to save money and time.) The left-turning vehicle
presents not only the aforementioned safety hazard, but a coagulation in
the smooth flow of traffic. It's either a car stopped in an active
traffic lane, waiting to turn; or, even worse, it's cars in a dedicated
left-turn lane that, when traffic is heavy enough, requires its own
"dedicated signal phase," lengthening the delay for through traffic as
well as cross traffic. And when traffic volumes really increase, as in
the junction of two suburban arterials, multiple left-turn lanes are
required, costing even more in space and money.