Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How Much?

Muggles has brought this to us :
On 12/11/2015 10:24 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Muggles wrote:
On 12/10/2015 9:42 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/10/2015 8:01 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/10/2015 6:26 PM, Don Y wrote:

I'd much rather listen to music but that seems to interfere
with SWMBO's sleep -- she can tune out a movie but not music
(well, not *my* music! : )

Certainly easy enough to do with earbuds, RF headphones and assorted
music
sources.

Earbuds leave me tethered to a spot; I have three "dual" worstations
that surround me while working -- so, I am continuously in motion
moving between them. Corded headphones (much prefered to the little
earbuds) suffer from a similar fate.

I've tried RF headphones but they have "flat spots" where reception
"fuzzes out" -- which means I have to remain in a "sweet spot" or
be continually bothered by the drop outs.

Ir headphones might work. My BT headphones are too small to give
good reproduction -- and not small enough to fit into the ear canal
where they can get enhanced base response by coupling directly to the
structures in the ear.

During daylight hours, the preferred way of listening is with a little
"console" that gives me the freedom of motion coupled with reasonably
good reproduction. Or, with earbuds and a PMP while taking my daily
walk.

You could get a set of hearing aids that is wi-fi enabled and just use
them instead.

Hearing aid is designed to emphasize human voice frequency spectrum.
No good for listening to good music(HiFi)

Well, I guess I don't emphasize the listening to music part because for
me I need the voices more. Hadn't thought of that before.

I bet you listen to Judas Priest and Metallica, eh Maggie?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2015 11:10 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/11/2015 3:03 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

I much prefer real headphones (Sennheiser, Koss) unless I'm walking. For
earbuds, I have over-the-ear mounts that don't need to be WEDGED into
the
ear canal. But, when seated at my workstations, the cord gets in the
way
(physically) as well as limiting my range of motion (there's no place
where it can be plugged in that will still give me 270 degrees of motion
in my chair)

I actually hear a pretty good bass reproduction out of the Bluetooth
headset
I have but there is another larger one that covers the ears and looks
like
it came from the same manufacturer. I've thought about purchasing those
because I can get better isolation from the noise around me. Sometimes it
can get as noisy as a grammar school playground around here. I
actually wore
out a pair of musician's sound isolation headphones that have a 15
foot cord
but cord length made them a bit awkward to use when sitting in front of a
laptop. (€¢€¿€¢)

Headphones have conflicting goals.

In some cases, you want them to give you a completely private, controlled
listening environment. This prevents extraneous noises from interfering
with the source material for a "better" listening experience.

But, it also isolates you from the ambient sounds in your environment.
E.g., someone approaching you from behind has to tap you on the shoulder
in order to get your attention (as you can't HEAR what they are trying to
say to you).

To solve this problem, you have to let external sounds in along with the
source material -- which deprives you of that private environment. It
*also* means others nearby tend to "overhear" that source material!

What you ideally want is something that mixes the two sources (the
program material plus the ambient) "intelligently". E.g., speaking
while wearing sound-isolating headphones tends to result in talking
louder than normal -- as you don't have the same level of feedback
that you do with an uncovered head. Mixing your speech into the
signal delivered to your ears can result in more "normal" speaking
patterns/volumes -- this is one of the benefits of sidetone in a
telephone.

Likewise, mixing in the ambient sounds -- at a level YOU consider
appropriate -- lets you remain connected to your environment
instead of listening in an "isolation chamber".

Maybe you could design better hearing aids?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2015 10:40 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Frank" "frank wrote in message
Last time she needed assistance because Comcast wanted to know serial

numbers on my DVR so I had to go down to the basement family room, back to
the 2nd floor with the wrong number and back again to get the correct one.

I was being pretty profane and guy told me that he was not using profanity
and I should not either.

I asked him if he would ask his 75 year old grandfather to go up and down
two flights of stairs twice to get a serial number on a device that
Comcast installed but had no record. I told him I was cussing because
Comcast was so stupid and his grandfather would have cussed him too.

So you are admitting that you are so stupid that you could not copy down
the serial number of the DVR and you expected Comcast to keep up with it.

I think that you are lucky that Comcast did not just hang up on you when you
started with the profanites.

+1

OTOH, it was Comcast's piece of equipment; why didn't *they* have the
S/N on record? Did they even KNOW that he had a piece of their kit
on the premises? Was the device unable to report it's S/N to Comcast
"over the wire" -- at ANY time prior to the call?

I phoned my insurance company yesterday. After a slew of voice
menu prompts (at each level, I was asked "are you a client or
a broker -- did they think my answer was going to change from
the prompt immediately preceding it??) I was asked to enter
my ID number. Of course, there are no provisions for fixing
data entry mistakes (or, if there are, they are a closely guarded
SECRET). Having correctly entered my ID number, the FIRST QUESTION
out of the CSR's mouth was, "can I have your ID number"?

Then, why did your machine have me enter it 15 seconds ago if
you were going to ask me for it, now??

My point: I don't think many (any?) companies actually look at their
customer experience from the *customer's* perspective. They design
solutions that are easy for themselves (to implement) without
regard for the customer's experience. E.g., I'm sure the
repeated "are you a client or a broker" question was because the
moron who designed the voice prompts didn't consider exploiting
information that the system ALREADY HAD IN ITS POSSESSION.
Instead, he looked at each interaction point in isolation:
if a client, route the call THIS way; if a broker, route the
call THAT way.

We were at Michael's (a craft store) the other day. Long line.
REALLY long line waiting for checkout. Couple of sales staff
walk into the line with little smartphone "terminals" to scan
our individual orders and tie those to a generic "express checkout"
card (nothing more than a credit card with a unique barcode label).
"Give this to the cashier".

OK, fine. Saves the cashier from having to scan all those
items and keeps the line moving -- just scan the *card*
and it drags all the rest of the information in with it.

But, many people in line had single items -- myself included.
So, now I have to interact with this sales person in line to
scan my item and then scan the card to "bind" my item(s) to
that "token". Then, continue to wait in line. When I make
it to a cashier, present the card -- instead of the item
that I've purchased! -- to be scanned.

How was this experience any quicker FOR ME (and the folks behind
me) than it would have been in the absence of the "token"?
Instead of chasing down waiting customers with "one or two things",
they should have concentrated on folks waiting with carts full
of items!

I.e., the folks designing the "system" were too clever by half
and, as a result, just made things more confusing and less
predictable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang pretended :
Eagle wrote:
Tony Hwang formulated the question :
Eagle wrote:
What do you pay for TV, internet and phone?

Up here in Canuck land it costs more.

I have full shebang of HD channels on TV, 2 phones(one is dedicated to
fax), 50/3 Internet. Service over all is excellent. Interruption of
service(down time) is almost none. Tech support is good too.
220.00CAD(~165.00 USD) per month including tax. Our cable is under
ground. Nothing runs overhead, all under ground.

Good deal in Canadialand.
Are you on 'cable', or optic fiber?

Only main trunk is optics. Into home
it is cable.

Same here. It was very interesting watching the tech make the fiber
optic connections to My home cable sytem. The fiber is VERY thin!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
[...]

{cough} No. smile

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2015 11:58 AM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

I went to buy some material at Jo-Anns and the check out process if a
nightmare. They only have one line for everything, so if you have
material you want cut first, they do it right there are the check out.
So, here are mostly ladies with buggies full of small items and multiple
bolts of material that needs to be measured and cut. I was lucky since
there were only 3 people in front of me, but each of those people had
about 6 to 10 small bolts of material with each bolt needing a different
length of material to be cut. I literally waited 45 minutes in line just
to get up there so they could cut my material out for me, and then I
could purchase it. Getting my material measured and cut took another 30
minutes. To top it off the lady who was measuring and cutting my
material had only been there 2 weeks and took a good 3 minutes to just
cut the material across the width. It's the most inefficient method of
checking customers out I've EVER seen.

Normally, a fabric store will have tables on the floor where they can go
to get fabric measured and cut, and then they can take all their items
to the check out to be rung up. I just don't get it why this store does
it this way.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2015 10:58 AM, Muggles wrote:
[...]

I'm primarily interested in addressing less well served populations:
visually impaired, physically handicapped. Most "devices" nowadays
interact with people visually (so hearing-impaired is not at a loss
to use them!) and with some degree of manual dexterity.

Folks who can't see and/or are largely immobile are effectively
deprived access to those devices and systems.

To put it in perspective, imagine your smart phone had NO (visual)
display. What would it be like to use it -- sighted?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eagle" no@not now.ever wrote in message

Where would I hook up the twin lead on the TV? All I have are flat screen
TV's now. The old CRT TV's were used for target practice, as well as two
17 inch CRT monitors. :')

All the TV sets I have seen in many years are set up for a coax antenna
cable. For the majority of the stations now they are on the UHF band and
need a different antenna than the rabbit ears.

I am about 30 and 50 miles from any major city and can get over 30 channels
on an outside antenna. Many of them are the same programs.

I am not sure if any of the old crt screens have the digital tuners in them.
I do have a converter box for one old crt tv I have, but don't use that set
now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2015 11:09 AM, Muggles wrote:

[...]

Ah, but you're defining "efficient" (inefficient) from YOUR perspective!
From the store's perspective, that solution is the *most* efficient!
it ensures THEIR (paid) staff are kept busy at all times 9at the
customers' expense).

If they had folks on the floor cutting fabric, then those people
might be sitting idle when there are no fabric customers. Or,
the cashiers up front might be sitting idle when there are
ALL fabric customers.

By funneling all customer interactions through a single point,
it ensures that *their* resources are MOST EFFICIENTLY USED!

The same is true of places like the post office. Folks invariably
complain about how INefficient the process is of conducting business
at the counter: "Why don't they have more cashiers?" From the
Post Office's perspective, it is more efficient to have their
minimal staff utilized at 100% while YOU wait than it would be for
them to have EXTRA staff that might incur idle periods (idle = lost
efficiency).

The trick is not to annoy customers *too* much to impact your
overall business. I.e., when folks stop going to JoAnn's in favor
of some other fabric store, then the store's "efficiency" is
being counterproductive. OTOH, if JoAnn's is the only game
in town, then the customers have little recourse.

Now do you see how "efficient" is viewed in a perverse way BY
BUSINESSES??

Normally, a fabric store will have tables on the floor where they can go
to get fabric measured and cut, and then they can take all their items
to the check out to be rung up. I just don't get it why this store does
it this way.

Ours has three or four "cutters" in the fabric department. There is
frequently a 5 minute wait to get a bolt cut. If I can, I try to
select a bolt that happens to have just about what I need on it
so I can skip the cutting altogether. The cashiers grumble because I have
no "cutting ticket" to tell them how much material I am purchasing.
I smile, innocently, and say, "Can't you just measure it?" (I'm
rarely buying more than a yard or two; if you can't measure out
72 inches, you probably can't operate a cash register!)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 09:54:51 -0800, Eagle no@not now.ever wrote:

After serious thinking wrote :
On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 07:27:54 -0800, Eagle no@not now.ever wrote:

laid this down on his screen :
On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 15:06:00 -0800, Eagle no@not now.ever wrote:

I sure miss the days of analog TV and antennas to get channel 2,4,5,7,
9,11 and 13 and not pay a dime for TV.

Sounds like you are in the DC Bal'mer area. I was there for 38 years
and never had anything but a Betamax and an antenna. If I rotated the
antenna and held my mouth right I could get Ch 6 out of Richmond too
(blacked out Redskin games).

You can still get those I imagine and there are probably 3 or 4 sub
channels under each with a lot of reruns of old TV shows.

MCM.com has a pretty good fringe antennas for about $30-40 that will
pull in signals from 70 miles away or so with decent line of sight..

No, I've been in the Los Angles, San Diego and Riverside county areas
for 59 years. I moved here when I was seven.
I don't think the old TV frequencies are available any longer here.

Funny, that is the same channel line up as DC/Baltimore

I bet if you get out your rabbit ears you will find all of those
channels and probably a few more if you speak spanish. They generally
have sub channels under them.

Where would I hook up the twin lead on the TV? All I have are flat
screen TV's now. The old CRT TV's were used for target practice, as
well as two 17 inch CRT monitors. :')

.... With a balun and most people have had a bunch of them because you
got one with TVs and VCRs for years. (If you threw them all away I
will send you one) OTOH most new TV antennas are supplied with F
connectors for coax. All TVs still have a coax input and a tuner or it
would be called a monitor.

If you just want to see what you have, stick a piece of small wire in
the center hole of the coax input, hang the other end on the wall and
do a channel search. I bet you get 8 or 10 with just that if you are
in town.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2015 11:25 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Eagle" no@not now.ever wrote in message

Where would I hook up the twin lead on the TV? All I have are flat screen
TV's now. The old CRT TV's were used for target practice, as well as two
17 inch CRT monitors. :')

All the TV sets I have seen in many years are set up for a coax antenna
cable. For the majority of the stations now they are on the UHF band and
need a different antenna than the rabbit ears.

Yup. And, there are supposed to be "smart antennae" that can be
tweeked by the tuner. Never saw one, though.

I am about 30 and 50 miles from any major city and can get over 30 channels
on an outside antenna. Many of them are the same programs.

Depends on your market and topography. We're in a small, rather isolated,
market -- nearest large metropolitan area is ~100 miles -- so we're limited
to "local programming". OTOH, I don't really care much what the weather is
100 miles from here! :

We are 9 or 13 miles (as the crow flies) from the clusters of broadcast towers
serving our metro area. And, almost a perfect line-of-sight to the towers
(I can look out the front door at night and see their flashing red lights
atop the mountain).

Unfortunately, there is EXACTLY one tall tree in this part of the neighborhood
and it lies directly in line with our antenna! When it rains and/or high
winds, signal isn't worth even trying to receive! At least with analog TV
you'd get a snowwy picture -- but *some* picture and MOST of the audio!
Nowadays, it's all or nothing...

Thankfully, the tree is close enough that I can move the antenna to a
different part of the house to "get around it". But, that requires mounting
it on the roof, grounding it, etc. A fair bit of work for something we use
so infrequently!

I am not sure if any of the old crt screens have the digital tuners in them.
I do have a converter box for one old crt tv I have, but don't use that set
now.

The converter boxes are hard to come by, nowadays. And, all that I have seen
(recycling defective kit) suffer from short-term design goals. Caps tend
to fail pretty quickly (I suspect they were intended as short-term solutions
to buy time for folks to upgrade to digital TV's). They use a surprising
amount of power to do their job!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 11, 2015 at 1:54:15 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

8 or 10...are either of those 2 stations ESPN? I'd be happy. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
On 12/10/2015 10:06 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 9:41:54 PM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:
[...]

Check out this Bluetooth headset that I bought from Amazon. It has
about a
60 foot range and I use it to listen to streaming radio from my computer
when I roll into the bathroom and I also use it to make phone calls
through
the computer. The rechargeable headset is of surprisingly good quality
for
the price. The headset folds up and is the type with the strap goes
behind
your head. ^_^

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CBNG10C

That *looks* identical to my BT headset -- though I don't see the same logo
on the earpiece. One earpiece has 5 buttons (a 4-way plus a center) that
is used to adjust volume, pair and select programs.

I have a Beats BT, freebie. Wonderful sounding headphones. There are even
small ear bud ones with good sound quality for the size.

But, it's small (diameter) so not very good on reproducing low
frequencies. It also clips around the *back* of the head (instead
of over-the-top) which isn't comfortable, for me.

I much prefer real headphones (Sennheiser, Koss) unless I'm walking.
For earbuds, I have over-the-ear mounts that don't need to be
WEDGED into the ear canal. But, when seated at my workstations,
the cord gets in the way (physically) as well as limiting my range of
motion (there's no place where it can be plugged in that will still give
me 270 degrees of motion in my chair)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/15 12:31 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/11/2015 10:09 AM, Frank wrote:

I doubt AT&T service will be any better. And, the guy across the
street that
just switched back to them from Comcast had quit Verizon because they
did not
honor their offer after a few months.

The old telephone company mentality still exists as if they are still
the only
service in town. I had a tiff a few years ago with AT&T and will
never do
business with them.

My wife deals with Comcast.

Last time she needed assistance because Comcast wanted to know serial
numbers
on my DVR so I had to go down to the basement family room, back to the
2nd
floor with the wrong number and back again to get the correct one.

I was being pretty profane and guy told me that he was not using
profanity and
I should not either.

I asked him if he would ask his 75 year old grandfather to go up and
down two
flights of stairs twice to get a serial number on a device that Comcast
installed but had no record. I told him I was cussing because Comcast
was so
stupid and his grandfather would have cussed him too.

Many companies have utter disdain for their customers! As if they are
*annoyed* that they have them!

Where possible, I try to reciprocate -- by not having "suppliers"! I
want to make them HAPPY with the lack of my business. Cuz I'm such
a nice guy...

Yup, you see that in lots of places-- contempt for your constituency.

Back when I was a cadet many, many years ago, I worked part time in a
large psychiatric hospital.

Sitting in a ward meeting with the staff to review patient progress and
treatment alternatives, we had discussed 4 or 5 particularly
exasperating patients in a row when the ward psychiatrist (who spoke
with a German accent) just plain lost it.

He grabbed a half dozen medical record folders off the stack we were
working our way down, slammed them onto the floor, and exclaimed-- "If
it wasn't for these damned patients, we could really run this ward
efficiently."

True story!

--
The Clintons are the kind of people that can find a loophole in a stop sign.
- @georgewill

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Y" wrote in message

stuff snipped

The same is true of places like the post office. Folks invariably
complain about how INefficient the process is of conducting business
at the counter: "Why don't they have more cashiers?" From the
Post Office's perspective, it is more efficient to have their
minimal staff utilized at 100% while YOU wait than it would be for
them to have EXTRA staff that might incur idle periods (idle = lost
efficiency).

I've noticed in a number of places (the 5 guy hamburger chain, Chipotle's,
Paneras to name a few) when the cashier isn't busy at the register she/he
has a whole host of other things to do, like cleaning the windows,
straightening up the chairs and tables, etc. The key to not having idle
time problems is to make sure it's all absorbed doing other tasks that are
not particularly time sensitive.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/10/2015 6:28 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 16:15:28 -0500, Wade Garrett
wrote:

NY City reports it's struggling to keep booming population of stray cats
under control. Tough one. Have they tried “Cat-Free Zone” signs?
- @fredthompson RIP

Makes me wonder how deer read Deer Crossing Zone signs.

There was supposedly a lady that complained to the state about them
putting deer crossing signs up to have the deer follow them and block
the road.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2015 2:33 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:

Many companies have utter disdain for their customers! As if they are
*annoyed* that they have them!

Yup, you see that in lots of places-- contempt for your constituency.

Back when I was a cadet many, many years ago, I worked part time in a large
psychiatric hospital.

Sitting in a ward meeting with the staff to review patient progress and
treatment alternatives, we had discussed 4 or 5 particularly exasperating
patients in a row when the ward psychiatrist (who spoke with a German accent)
just plain lost it.

He grabbed a half dozen medical record folders off the stack we were working
our way down, slammed them onto the floor, and exclaimed-- "If it wasn't for
these damned patients, we could really run this ward efficiently."

True story!

If the truth be known, I suspect most people are not "enamored" with those
upon whom they depend for their livelihood. Doctors grumble about patients
(who won't follow their COMMON SENSE orders); teachers grumble about the
lousy students (and their pushy parents); cops complain about the criminals;
etc.

OTOH, I don't know of anyone who was *forced* into a particular profession.
So, it's sort of disingenuous to complain about something that *you* CHOSE
to do! Tired of standing in knee-deep sewage? Then I guess PLUMBING was
probably not a good career choice...

What's particularly galling (to me) is folks who provide products and
services that are not "essential"... i.e., their customers could STOP
using those and not be significantly inconvenienced in any way. Or,
"commodity products" that a customer can EASILY and EFFORTLESSLY obtain
from an alternative supplier!

E.g., for a bank, gas station, grocery store, etc. to not CHERISH its
customers is just plain stupid -- there's another gas station on the
opposing street corner, another bank down the block and another grocer
somewhere within line of sight!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

NY City reports it's struggling to keep booming population of stray cats
under control. Tough one. Have they tried “Cat-Free Zone” signs?
- @fredthompson RIP

Makes me wonder how deer read Deer Crossing Zone signs.

There was supposedly a lady that complained to the state about them
putting deer crossing signs up to have the deer follow them and block
the road.

I just ate some venison from Georgia, Bubba gave me. They crossed a
..270 Remington bullet and ended up in the freezer
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2015 10:23 AM, Eagle wrote:
Ed Pawlowski formulated on Thursday :
On 12/10/2015 4:15 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 12/10/15 2:43 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 1:15:49 PM UTC-5, Eagle wrote:
What do you pay for TV, internet and phone?

P.S. That's a pretty crappy subject line.

No, not really-- it's concise, descriptive, and says exactly what he
wants to know.

But meaningless information without more detail. I pay $160 and $67.
What does that tell you? How can you compare services unless I tell
you more?

OK, what do you pay for internet access? For TV? Do you bundle TV
internet and landline together? Do you have your cell included in your
monthly bill with your TV internet and landline?
Is that a little better, Ed?

Better.

I pay $160 for DirecTv for a middle package, no HBO type premiums. We
watch a lot of History, Nat Geo and the like. We have 2 DVR and 3
regular sets.

The $67 is landline phone and DSL internet 12/6

I had cable for years but the local cable company sucks. Overall, DTV
has been reliable and good quality. OTA here is useless.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2015 12:40 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

So you are admitting that you are so stupid that you could not copy down
the serial number of the DVR and you expected Comcast to keep up with it.

Why should he have to do it? Comcast property, it is their obligation
to track it. DTV sends me an email every month listing my equipment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2015 1:09 PM, Muggles wrote:

I went to buy some material at Jo-Anns and the check out process if a
nightmare. They only have one line for everything, so if you have
material you want cut first, they do it right there are the check out.

Never heard of that. My wife goes to Jo-Anns all the time. Fabric
cutting is done at the fabric station and they tag it. Checkout is done
at the registers. She frequents three different stores and all are the
same.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 11, 2015 at 9:42:52 AM UTC-6, Eagle wrote:
Uncle Monster pretended :
On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 12:15:49 PM UTC-6, Eagle wrote:
What do you pay for TV, internet and phone?

I don't pay anything here at the center 25 to 60mbs down depending on load
and 4.5mbs up. At home, my housemate has a POTS line with 3 numbers
business/fax/residence costing around $80 per month. A smartphone ? per
month. Charter Cable basic TV and Internet I think $35 per month for 12mbs
down & 1.5mbs up. I have two magicJacks costing $70 per year, two TracFones
one is a SafeLink phone, Spok digital paging/VM service $28 per month. I've
been with the paging company for 30 years and it's a number everyone has. I
still get calls from people wanting things done and I hate to tell them I
can't work right now. 8-(

[8~{} Uncle Phone Monster

It sux not being able to do the things you did when you were younger
Uncle. :/

I was still doing a limited amount of work in 2014 before I got really sick.. It got to the point where I had to eschew climbing and crawling. I did some work around the office but I became so ill, I couldn't get up in my walker and go to the bathroom. I haven't been home since the end of 2014.

7:45am
Around 3:00am this morning, I started feeling nauseated, a very rare occurrence, and when breakfast arrived, I really became nauseated after eating half my food then grabbed the little trashcan from my bedside.

9:45pm
I started writing this post this morning before breakfast then had to stop writing because I became very ill. I had three episodes of projectile vomiting into the bathroom trashcan and a few hours later I had fire hose diarrhea. I was so sick that I skipped lunch and supper. I don't remember the last time I barfed because it's such a rare occurrence. It's the same thing with nausea, it just doesn't happen to me. I started eating again about 9:00pm and my stomach is still squirming a little so I'll have to keep a trashcan close by. It appears that the pills and ginger ale the nurse gave me has helped. Dammit, the last thing I need is for my insides to try to crawl out.. The nurse told me that a few other residents became ill so it must be food poisoning. From what, who knows but this is the first time my stomach has bothered me at all in over a year. ”Œ( à²*_à²*)”˜

[8~{} Uncle Barf Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2015 12:12 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/11/2015 10:58 AM, Muggles wrote:

Maybe you could design better hearing aids?

I'm primarily interested in addressing less well served populations:
visually impaired, physically handicapped. Most "devices" nowadays
interact with people visually (so hearing-impaired is not at a loss
to use them!) and with some degree of manual dexterity.

Folks who can't see and/or are largely immobile are effectively
deprived access to those devices and systems.

To put it in perspective, imagine your smart phone had NO (visual)
display. What would it be like to use it -- sighted?

Sometimes, I can't see things when I can't hear them, and things I can
hear I've no idea where the sound is coming from. I imagine that feels
similar.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2015 12:35 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

From the store's perspective, that solution is the *most* efficient!
[...]

I understand. Your comment inspired me to send the corporate office and
email about my recent experience at their check-out counter.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2015 7:57 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/11/2015 1:09 PM, Muggles wrote:

I went to buy some material at Jo-Anns and the check out process if a
nightmare. They only have one line for everything, so if you have
material you want cut first, they do it right there are the check out.

Never heard of that. My wife goes to Jo-Anns all the time. Fabric
cutting is done at the fabric station and they tag it. Checkout is done
at the registers. She frequents three different stores and all are the
same.

It must be a local thing then. I did email the corporate offices about
the problem locally. I guess I'll see if they respond in next week.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2015 10:20 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
pills and ginger ale the nurse gave me has helped.

gee Monster ... I've been there with food poisoning before. Hope it
gets better soon.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2015 10:25 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 12/11/2015 12:12 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/11/2015 10:58 AM, Muggles wrote:

Maybe you could design better hearing aids?

I'm primarily interested in addressing less well served populations:
visually impaired, physically handicapped. Most "devices" nowadays
interact with people visually (so hearing-impaired is not at a loss
to use them!) and with some degree of manual dexterity.

Folks who can't see and/or are largely immobile are effectively
deprived access to those devices and systems.

To put it in perspective, imagine your smart phone had NO (visual)
display. What would it be like to use it -- sighted?

Sometimes, I can't see things when I can't hear them, and things I can
hear I've no idea where the sound is coming from. I imagine that feels
similar.

Virtually all "technological interfaces" are sight-based. The naive ones
also rely on perfect color-vision, as well -- often only using it in
"cartoon-y" ways.

This implicit reliance has significant consequences to how a device is
actually *designed*. Concepts oriented around visual interfaces usually
have no direct counterparts in other output modalities; what's the
aural equivalent of a "window"? If your user interface relied on sound
instead of vision, how would you present multiple "sessions/applications"
("windows") to your user? How would you "flash" a window to draw attention
to a printer that is jammed, new email arriving, a thumb drive being recognized
on insertion, etc.? How do you let a user *re-view* something that he
just examined (i.e., *heard*)?

How does a (sighted) user "type" CTL-ALT-DEL with a mouth stick? Or, with
an eye-tracker? Or, position the text cursor between these two digits: 12?

Do you eliminate these capabilities from your user interface? Or, come
up with alternatives for each different modality? Do you introduce some
sort of "translation layer" in an attempt to match other implementations
to your original set of capabilities? Which users do you effectively
*penalize* by a poor choice of underlying interface assumptions?

Or, do you design a set of capabilities for your interface with full knowledge
that it must be "portable" to these different modalities from the very
onset? So users can relate to the device/program consistently regardless
of their I/O modality choices/requirements??

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 11, 2015 at 11:32:53 PM UTC-6, Muggles wrote:
On 12/11/2015 10:20 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
pills and ginger ale the nurse gave me has helped.

gee Monster ... I've been there with food poisoning before. Hope it
gets better soon.
--
Maggie

I had a little more diarrhea an hour ago but it wasn't that bad. I got some chicken noodle soup and crackers from the nurse and it hasn't upset my stomach but I'm guessing there are a few more stomach cooties that want to make an exit. I have some pain in my right kidney that worries me because I've had kidney stones before and I don't feel like giving birth to gravel. Dammit! I don't need this right now. ”Œ( à²*_à²*)”˜

[8~{} Uncle Gravel Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/10/2015 1:15 PM, Eagle wrote:
What do you pay for TV, internet and phone?

DirecTV (local & sports, no HBO, movie channel etc.) DVR, two AT&T 4G
cell lines (2gig data each), Verizon unlimited long distance landline +
DSL + WIFI ----- about $300 total.

Too damn much !!!

If and when a phone can be implanted the wife would be the first customer.

If it were up to me the unlimited landline would go to local service
only (911) & use the cells for long distance. Cell to cell anywhere in
USA is included. If they don't have a cell then if its that important
they can call me.

DirecTV is expensive and very good here, but Dish didn't offer ROOT, my
goto sports station (Pirates & Pens). Steelers are on local channels.

3 hidef boxes and one lodef + DVR available to any of the 4 TV's.

Otherwise its Comfrigincast, the worst of the worst abominations !

Verizon (landline & DSL) can be a pain but if you bug them long and hard
they will actually fix things.

Comcast: Reboot your TV - click. Actually happened! Thats when I took
their equipment back to them in a kitty liter bucket and told them to
keep the bucket, only useful thing here.

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I much prefer to throw up over attempting to quiet things.

many years ago me and a friend got very ill from apparent poisioning.

I spent 1/2 hour throwing up and felt ok by morning.

she too got sick at 3am, took anti nausea meds. they worked she didnt throw up. but spent the next 3 days very ill. unable to eat. kinda sad since were at disney world..

i ended up doing stuff all by myself.

I STRONGLY BELIEVE in a basic rule............

BETTER OUT THAN IN!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

I had fios their customer service sucked.

they held me to a contract for a service that was unsuable. after complaing for 3 months, and calling every day for 3 weeks they finaly fixed it.

a bad noisey router in their central office......

worst customer service of my entire life.

incidently the firt road tech knew what it was........

reps though all told me its you interior wiring, even after road techs remarked the account with reproduced problem with home completely disconnected.......

verizon is a horrid waste.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/10/2015 01:15 PM, Eagle wrote:
What do you pay for TV, internet and phone?

Lowest channel tier TV and 124Mb/24Mb Internet from Comcast is ~$120

Ooma phone is ~$5/mo

AT$T U-Verse 6Mb/1Mb is $51/mo

Posted to alt.home.repair

It happens that Ed Pawlowski formulated :
[...]

OK Ed, thanks much!
So your DirectTV bill is about $227.00 per month for TV with two DVR's
and 3 satellite TV boxes [HD?]no premium TV channels, DSL internet and
one landline, right? Not bad but two DVR's?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster has brought this to us :
[...]

Uncle, You've said before, but can you clarify what's going on with
your health? I don't like getting personal on this kind of venue, so
don't answer if I'm getting too personal please.

Nosey Eagle

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster laid this down on his screen :
On Friday, December 11, 2015 at 11:32:53 PM UTC-6, Muggles wrote:
On 12/11/2015 10:20 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
pills and ginger ale the nurse gave me has helped.

gee Monster ... I've been there with food poisoning before. Hope it
gets better soon.
--
Maggie

I had a little more diarrhea an hour ago but it wasn't that bad. I got some
chicken noodle soup and crackers from the nurse and it hasn't upset my
stomach but I'm guessing there are a few more stomach cooties that want to
make an exit. I have some pain in my right kidney that worries me because
I've had kidney stones before and I don't feel like giving birth to gravel.
Dammit! I don't need this right now. ”Œ( à²*_à²*)”˜

[8~{} Uncle Gravel Monster

Kidney stones are a real MOFO Uncle! I passed a stone some 25 years
back, and I was all over that hospital bed with pain! My Wife passed a
stone 20 years or so back, and she was like a chimpanzee...all over
that hospital bed and up and down My back with pain. She finally passed
the stone and calmed down. She slept for two days before getting back
to normal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller expressed precisely :
[...]

Blowing chunks clears out your gut, so I agree...blow it out!
Posted to alt.home.repair

John has brought this to us :
On 12/10/2015 1:15 PM, Eagle wrote:
What do you pay for TV, internet and phone?

DirecTV (local & sports, no HBO, movie channel etc.) DVR, two AT&T 4G cell
lines (2gig data each), Verizon unlimited long distance landline + DSL + WIFI
----- about $300 total.

Too damn much !!!

If and when a phone can be implanted the wife would be the first customer.

My Wife has that damn cell phone going all the time with text
messenging and all the other options available with that phone.
grrrr!]

If it were up to me the unlimited landline would go to local service only
(911) & use the cells for long distance. Cell to cell anywhere in USA is
included. If they don't have a cell then if its that important they can call
me.

DirecTV is expensive and very good here, but Dish didn't offer ROOT, my goto
sports station (Pirates & Pens). Steelers are on local channels.

3 hidef boxes and one lodef + DVR available to any of the 4 TV's.

Otherwise its Comfrigincast, the worst of the worst abominations !

Verizon (landline & DSL) can be a pain but if you bug them long and hard they
will actually fix things.

Comcast: Reboot your TV - click. Actually happened! Thats when I took their
equipment back to them in a kitty liter bucket and told them to keep the
bucket, only useful thing here.

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2015 9:22 AM, Eagle wrote:

OK Ed, thanks much!
So your DirectTV bill is about $227.00 per month for TV with two DVR's
and 3 satellite TV boxes [HD?]no premium TV channels, DSL internet and
one landline, right? Not bad but two DVR's?

Originally, the DVR could record two shows and you had to watch either
one of them or a previously recorded show. Life was just easier with
two DVR. With the new one I can record 4 or 5 at a time but I just
never bothered replacing the second one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 12, 2015 at 7:46:18 AM UTC-6, bob haller wrote:
[...]

I was able to eat breakfast this morning without being nauseated but my tummy is still a little off balance. I'll be OK but I'm worried about other residents who aren't as strong as I am. Something like food poisoning could kill someone who is in a frail state of health. I know I'm getting better, I'm passing a lot of paint pealing gas. I hope it doesn't hurt my computer. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Barf Monster