Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How Much?

On Saturday, December 12, 2015 at 8:26:40 AM UTC-6, Eagle wrote:
Uncle Monster has brought this to us :
On Friday, December 11, 2015 at 9:42:52 AM UTC-6, Eagle wrote:
Uncle Monster pretended :
On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 12:15:49 PM UTC-6, Eagle wrote:
What do you pay for TV, internet and phone?

I don't pay anything here at the center 25 to 60mbs down depending on load
and 4.5mbs up. At home, my housemate has a POTS line with 3 numbers
business/fax/residence costing around $80 per month. A smartphone ? per
month. Charter Cable basic TV and Internet I think $35 per month for 12mbs
down & 1.5mbs up. I have two magicJacks costing $70 per year, two TracFones
one is a SafeLink phone, Spok digital paging/VM service $28 per month.. I've
been with the paging company for 30 years and it's a number everyone has. I
still get calls from people wanting things done and I hate to tell them I
can't work right now. 8-(

[8~{} Uncle Phone Monster

It sux not being able to do the things you did when you were younger
Uncle. :/

I was still doing a limited amount of work in 2014 before I got really sick.
It got to the point where I had to eschew climbing and crawling. I did some
work around the office but I became so ill, I couldn't get up in my walker
and go to the bathroom. I haven't been home since the end of 2014.

7:45am
Around 3:00am this morning, I started feeling nauseated, a very rare
occurrence, and when breakfast arrived, I really became nauseated after
eating half my food then grabbed the little trashcan from my bedside.

9:45pm
I started writing this post this morning before breakfast then had to stop
writing because I became very ill. I had three episodes of projectile
vomiting into the bathroom trashcan and a few hours later I had fire hose
diarrhea. I was so sick that I skipped lunch and supper. I don't remember the
last time I barfed because it's such a rare occurrence. It's the same thing
with nausea, it just doesn't happen to me. I started eating again about
9:00pm and my stomach is still squirming a little so I'll have to keep a
trashcan close by. It appears that the pills and ginger ale the nurse gave me
has helped. Dammit, the last thing I need is for my insides to try to crawl
out. The nurse told me that a few other residents became ill so it must be
food poisoning. From what, who knows but this is the first time my stomach
has bothered me at all in over a year. ”Œ( à²*_à²*)”˜

[8~{} Uncle Barf Monster

Uncle, You've said before, but can you clarify what's going on with
your health? I don't like getting personal on this kind of venue, so
don't answer if I'm getting too personal please.

Nosey Eagle

Don't worry about it, I've been here at the center after leaving the hospital at the end of February. I have damage done to my lower legs by venous stasis. The skin around the bottom of my right leg above my ankle and half way up to my knee died and sloughed off. Last year it became infected really bad and I wound up in the ICU for 9 days out of a 16 day stay in the hospital. My kidneys shut down and I could have died but antibiotics killed the cooties and I was saved. From the hospital I was sent to a nursing home for a 21 day course of IV antibiotics. After that, I was in home care with a nurse visiting me 3 days a week but my leg got infected again and I was back in the hospital. From there I was sent here to the center where I've been ever since. I can't walk because both my knees are shot and it's hard for me to roll around in a wheelchair because both my shoulders are trashed. So I'm having a good time trying to get strong enough to walk again. My leg is healing due to the good wound care I'm getting and I'm getting strong enough to get up in a walker again. I'll be break dancing in no time. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Gimpy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Originally, the DVR could record two shows and you had to watch either one
of them or a previously recorded show. Life was just easier with two DVR.
With the new one I can record 4 or 5 at a time but I just never bothered
replacing the second one.

The home TV sure has came a long way. With the Direct TV I can record about
5 shows at once. Then every room can record and play back. I have 3 sets
hooked up and an option for 4. Also can stream much of it to a wifi device.

I am using a Republic smart phone that costs $ 12 per month for unlimiated
call and text and if around a wifi system unliminated internet. That thing
will stream the TV around the house.

I just need to find time to watch some of the recorded shows. More stuff on
than I have time to devote to the boob tube.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It happens that Uncle Monster formulated :
[...]

You're a strong Man Uncle, and you'll be up and running down the nurses
in no time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 12, 2015 at 10:10:32 AM UTC-6, Eagle wrote:

You're a strong Man Uncle, and you'll be up and running down the nurses
in no time.

True...only the good die young! à²*•*•®à²*
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2015 11:53 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/11/2015 10:25 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 12/11/2015 12:12 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/11/2015 10:58 AM, Muggles wrote:

Maybe you could design better hearing aids?

I'm primarily interested in addressing less well served populations:
visually impaired, physically handicapped. Most "devices" nowadays
interact with people visually (so hearing-impaired is not at a loss
to use them!) and with some degree of manual dexterity.

Folks who can't see and/or are largely immobile are effectively
deprived access to those devices and systems.

To put it in perspective, imagine your smart phone had NO (visual)
display. What would it be like to use it -- sighted?

Sometimes, I can't see things when I can't hear them, and things I can
hear I've no idea where the sound is coming from. I imagine that feels
similar.

Virtually all "technological interfaces" are sight-based. The naive ones
also rely on perfect color-vision, as well -- often only using it in
"cartoon-y" ways.

This implicit reliance has significant consequences to how a device is
actually *designed*. Concepts oriented around visual interfaces usually
have no direct counterparts in other output modalities; what's the
aural equivalent of a "window"? If your user interface relied on sound
instead of vision, how would you present multiple "sessions/applications"
("windows") to your user? How would you "flash" a window to draw attention
to a printer that is jammed, new email arriving, a thumb drive being
recognized
on insertion, etc.? How do you let a user *re-view* something that he
just examined (i.e., *heard*)?

How does a (sighted) user "type" CTL-ALT-DEL with a mouth stick? Or, with
an eye-tracker? Or, position the text cursor between these two digits:
12?

Do you eliminate these capabilities from your user interface? Or, come
up with alternatives for each different modality? Do you introduce some
sort of "translation layer" in an attempt to match other implementations
to your original set of capabilities? Which users do you effectively
*penalize* by a poor choice of underlying interface assumptions?

Or, do you design a set of capabilities for your interface with full
knowledge
that it must be "portable" to these different modalities from the very
onset? So users can relate to the device/program consistently regardless
of their I/O modality choices/requirements??

All good questions. My question is how would you design a hearing aid
that can tell the difference between background noise and voices so you
can be in large groups and be able to actually hear what people are
saying to you - be able to differentiate words from noise. Also, how
would you design one that would make using it more like natural hearing
so a user can tell what direction a sound is coming from?

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2015 9:48 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
and I'm getting strong enough to get up in a walker again. I'll be break dancing in no time. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Gimpy Monster

I want a video of that, pls!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I don't feel sorry for myself because there are a lot of people worse off than I am. My present roommate here just turned 71 and he's a complete invalid because of a car crash when he was 17 years old. So for 54 years, he's been trapped in a body that won't obey his desire to move or even speak clearly. When I first met him, I thought he was a stroke victim but he suffered a brain injury in the accident. I push the nurses call button for him and operate the remote control for his TV since he can't. He's a big football fan because he played on his high school team before the accident. Imagine being trapped for 54 years in a body that can barely function after being a young athlete. (._.)

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 12, 2015 at 10:20:53 AM UTC-6, bob_villain wrote:
On Saturday, December 12, 2015 at 10:10:32 AM UTC-6, Eagle wrote:

You're a strong Man Uncle, and you'll be up and running down the nurses
in no time.

True...only the good die young! à²*•*•®à²*

The difference between me and you Mr.Villain is that I admit to being bad. You reek of it and refuse to acknowledge your predilections. t(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Bad Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 12, 2015 at 10:36:25 AM UTC-6, Muggles wrote:
On 12/12/2015 9:48 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
and I'm getting strong enough to get up in a walker again. I'll be break dancing in no time. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Gimpy Monster

I want a video of that, pls!
--
Maggie

What format? —‰€¿—‰

[8~{} Uncle Video Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2015 12:04 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, December 12, 2015 at 10:36:25 AM UTC-6, Muggles wrote:
On 12/12/2015 9:48 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
and I'm getting strong enough to get up in a walker again. I'll be break dancing in no time. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Gimpy Monster

I want a video of that, pls!
--
Maggie

What format? —‰€¿—‰

[8~{} Uncle Video Monster

..wmv will do I think

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2015 9:21 AM, Muggles wrote:

All good questions. My question is how would you design a hearing aid
that can tell the difference between background noise and voices so you
can be in large groups and be able to actually hear what people are
saying to you - be able to differentiate words from noise.

A very different problem than the one I described! In my case, you're
trying to mix audio from two different sources: the "machine" and
the "environment". I'm not trying to isolate *just* environmental sounds
"intended for" the user (e.g., someone speaking to him) -- because you have
no way of knowing which sounds are important aural cues, etc. Instead,
you just want to be able to let some amount of that environmental "noise"
filter through headphones that would otherwise be largely impervious to
sound (you don't want a person standing near you to hear what your machine
is saying to *you* anymore than you should want someone standing nearby
to hear the other half of a private phone conversation with your MD, etc.)

Also, how
would you design one that would make using it more like natural hearing
so a user can tell what direction a sound is coming from?

The most basic techniques for "spatializing" audio involve manipulating
the interaural time delays (a sound off to your left arrives at your
left ear slightly ahead of your right ear -- because sound takes a large
fraction of a millisecond to travel that extra distance *past* left ear
to arrive at right ear).

Additionally, the presence of that lump of flesh between your ears
attenuates sounds from "the other direction" -- the sound that arrives at
your right ear (in the above example) is softer than the left because
your head is in the way, casting an aural "shadow".

To a finer extent, the attenuation of different frequencies comes into play;
a high frequency sound is attenuated more than a low frequency sound (again,
in that same example) -- this is why it is easier to "localize" higher
pitched sounds like bird chirps than diesel engines.

To an even finer extent, the *particular* folds of cartilage in YOUR pinnae
tweek these time and frequency responses to give you even finer capability
at resolving sound-points in space. Of course, YOUR brain has adapted to
YOUR particular pinnae, etc. -- glue your ears onto someone else's head
and they'd "not work correctly" :

Your experiences with particular "environments" provide further cues.
E.g., indoors, surfaces reflect sound waves with differing degrees of
effectiveness. So, you perceive echoes reverberating off walls -- but
not curtains (as much), etc. Outdoors, LONG echo delays tend to
be suggestive of far off sources, even if the actual sound level is
(relatively) loud -- e.g., a gunshot.

Knowing that your brain has these algorithms encoded into its perception
of sounds, it then becomes possible to manipulate the *perceived* location
of a synthetic sound source. So, you can exploit "space" in much the
same way that "windows" on a flat display surface exploit space to
present different content in different locations.

In any typical environment, you can tune-in (or out!) particular sound
sources consciously or subconsciously. E.g., at a party, if you hear your
name called out, it immediately rises to draw your attention. Similarly,
if you hear folks "within earshot" talking *about* you, that conversation
("sound source") gains prominence in your auditory processing -- you
strive to "eavesdrop" whereas their entire previous conversation may
have gone completely unnoticed (even though their speaking intensity
hasn't changed!).

So, while a blinking printer icon may attract your attention, out of
the corner of your eye, a particular "sound icon" *placed* (localized)
in a particular point in your 3D auditory field can attract your
attention, out of the "corner of your ear"!

In this way, you can present multiple information streams to a user
without being forced to "serialize" them -- one at a time. The user
can then opt to "handle" those streams in the most effective way
for their particular content.

E.g., if you're at a meeting and someone whispers in your ear that
your spouse is waiting downstairs, you need not pause the conversation
in which you are presently involved to "record" that fact. OTOH,
if the message is that the police are outside asking to talk to you,
you may opt to tell the primary speaker to wait while you direct your
conscious attention to the person whispering in your ear!

But, there are limits on how much of this sort of thing you can manage.
I can keep dozens of windows open on my desktop and easily bounce between
them -- largely because they persist in the same state! I don't have
to "replay" something that I heard a moment earlier in order to *listen*
to it, "again". The (visual) window is perpetually "replaying itself"
for me -- any time I glance at it.

So, you have to be aware of this interface limitation in designing how
(competing) "applications" interact with the user. E.g., you can't
just have dozens of "sound icons" popping up in random points in the
sound field and expect the user to perceive them -- let alone
*process* them!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2015 6:54 AM, bob haller wrote:
I had fios their customer service sucked.

they held me to a contract for a service that was unsuable. after complaing
for 3 months, and calling every day for 3 weeks they finaly fixed it.

a bad noisey router in their central office......

worst customer service of my entire life.

incidently the firt road tech knew what it was........

reps though all told me its you interior wiring, even after road techs
remarked the account with reproduced problem with home completely
disconnected.......

verizon is a horrid waste.

Had a problem with DSL (or, maybe it was dial-up back then) many years
ago. Line was way too noisey for reliable comms. QWorst kept running
tests from the CO and telling me "all is well" -- despite the fact
that I couldn't move any *data*.

Eventually sent a linesman out to check the line (buried services, here).
Started chatting and he realized he could "talk technical" with me
instead of the regular sorts that he encountered on calls. So, we
sat down on the "grass" (stone) to chew the fat while he left the
tester clipped to our "pair".

He seemed in no hurry to move on to his next call. And, I was enjoying his
company. After a good 15 minutes of "wasting time", he exclaimed:
"Yikes! What the hell is that??!". Noise floor had shot up through the
ceiling. He "listened" to the line (dialtone) and said, "How the hell
can you even *talk* on that line?" "We don't use the line for TALKING..."
grin

Obviously, a failed pair. Water infiltration, a break in one of the other
boxes upstream, etc. So, only recourse was to move us over to another
(unused) pair and hope *it* was OK.

Had Joe Average linesman come and checked the line for a single *instant*,
he'd have pronounced the line as "intact" and moved along: "Customer
is delusional" sort of mentality. But, finding someone who takes the
time to appraise your "mindset" and uses that to give added credence to
your "trouble report" -- coupled with the desire to actually *solve* the
problem -- and you've got a winning combination! Otherwise, you get
a customer that just keeps calling and incurring more troubleshooting
costs on *your* end!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-12-12 10:22 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, December 12, 2015 at 7:46:18 AM UTC-6, bob haller wrote:
[...]

I much prefer to throw up over attempting to quiet things.

many years ago me and a friend got very ill from apparent poisioning.

I spent 1/2 hour throwing up and felt ok by morning.

she too got sick at 3am, took anti nausea meds. they worked she didnt throw up. but spent the next 3 days very ill. unable to eat. kinda sad since were at disney world..

i ended up doing stuff all by myself.

I STRONGLY BELIEVE in a basic rule............

BETTER OUT THAN IN!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was able to eat breakfast this morning without being nauseated but my tummy is still a little off balance. I'll be OK but I'm worried about other residents who aren't as strong as I am. Something like food poisoning could kill someone who is in a frail state of health. I know I'm getting better, I'm passing a lot of paint pealing gas. I hope it doesn't hurt my computer. ^_^

My wife brought home a case of Norovirus from work a couple years ago
(she works in a retirement home), I can't ever remember feeling worse
from the heaving, eventually I was left with a case of the dry heaves.

--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

[...]

Maybe they had take out from Chipotle?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller posted for all of us...

I much prefer to throw up over attempting to quiet things.

many years ago me and a friend got very ill from apparent poisioning.

I spent 1/2 hour throwing up and felt ok by morning.

she too got sick at 3am, took anti nausea meds. they worked she didnt throw up. but spent the next 3 days very ill. unable to eat. kinda sad since were at disney world..

i ended up doing stuff all by myself.

I STRONGLY BELIEVE in a basic rule............

BETTER OUT THAN IN!!!!!!!!!!!!

So you don't think different people react differently to outside factors?

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2015 8:50 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/11/2015 12:40 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

So you are admitting that you are so stupid that you could not copy down
the serial number of the DVR and you expected Comcast to keep up with it.

Why should he have to do it? Comcast property, it is their obligation
to track it. DTV sends me an email every month listing my equipment.

You got it.

I can tell you numerous instances of Comcast stupidity.

They have some really good people working there but numerous dolts.

Mentioned I also have a FIOS line for my land line. That installation
was a comedy of errors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Brown fog Brown out....

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

On Saturday, December 12, 2015 at 10:36:25 AM UTC-6, Muggles wrote:
On 12/12/2015 9:48 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
and I'm getting strong enough to get up in a walker again. I'll be break dancing in no time. ?(???)?

[8~{} Uncle Gimpy Monster

I want a video of that, pls!
--
Maggie

What format? ???

[8~{} Uncle Video Monster

Beta or slides.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wade Garrett posted for all of us...

On 12/10/15 3:16 PM, Frank wrote:
On 12/10/2015 2:35 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 1:15:49 PM UTC-5, Eagle wrote:
What do you pay for TV, internet and phone?

That is too broad of a question. If I said $179/month, what would that
tell you? If someone else said $59/month, what would that tell you?

I have Comcast triple play but have to constantly renegotiate cost.
I also have a FIOS line to the house on a land line. FIOS constantly
begs me to switch and I tell them I will if I get the initial offer for
life.

My neighbor across the street just switches service and when initial
offer expires and he cannot get an acceptable price, switches to the other.

Cable companies score at the bottom of the list in most all customer
service satisfaction surveys. Around my way, Comcast offers a very good
technology products- but their customer service and rates suck.

You negotiate a rate with them for 6, 9, 12 months or whatever, but then
you only get if for a month or two and they jack your bill back up.
When you call to complain, you wait on hold a long time, then an
offshore CSR that barely speaks English says she has no authority to
adjust rates so they dump you back on hold until you're escalated to
their "Customer Care" person. She says yes, I see you called on X date
but there's no notes from your conversation and we have no documentation
of the rate for the period you say. However, since you're such a good
and loyal customer as well as a nice person, as a one-time special
accommodation, we'll lower your monthly bill a buck and a half-- or some
insignificant amount.

I can understand this happening once, maybe even twice but it happens to
me every damned time-- at least 7-8 repeats in the last few years.

They just jacked up my promotional rate 68 percent. When I called, they
said take it or leave it...so I've been talking to ATT about their
U-Verse service. Service/features are comparable-- though internet speed
is slower but still fast enough-- and the promo price on a 1 year
contract if pretty decent. I'll probably be switching soon.

Hopefully ATT customer service is better...

Just ask for the retention dept.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank posted for all of us...

My wife deals with Comcast.

Last time she needed assistance because Comcast wanted to know serial
numbers on my DVR so I had to go down to the basement family room, back
to the 2nd floor with the wrong number and back again to get the correct
one.

I was being pretty profane and guy told me that he was not using
profanity and I should not either.

I asked him if he would ask his 75 year old grandfather to go up and
down two flights of stairs twice to get a serial number on a device that
Comcast installed but had no record. I told him I was cussing because
Comcast was so stupid and his grandfather would have cussed him too.

I tell them to ping it. If they can't do that then one goes to next level...

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wade Garrett posted for all of us...

Back when I was a cadet many, many years ago, I worked part time in a
large psychiatric hospital.

Did meet Stumpy? See any other posters?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski used his keyboard to write :
On 12/12/2015 9:22 AM, Eagle wrote:

OK Ed, thanks much!
So your DirectTV bill is about $227.00 per month for TV with two DVR's
and 3 satellite TV boxes [HD?]no premium TV channels, DSL internet and
one landline, right? Not bad but two DVR's?

Originally, the DVR could record two shows and you had to watch either one of
them or a previously recorded show. Life was just easier with two DVR. With
the new one I can record 4 or 5 at a time but I just never bothered replacing
the second one.

Are you paying rent on both DVR's?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green posted for all of us...

I've noticed in a number of places (the 5 guy hamburger chain, Chipotle's,
Paneras to name a few) when the cashier isn't busy at the register she/he
has a whole host of other things to do, like cleaning the windows,
straightening up the chairs and tables, etc. The key to not having idle
time problems is to make sure it's all absorbed doing other tasks that are
not particularly time sensitive.

--
Bobby G.

At Chipotle's they should be cleaning out the burrito slop or it will be
cleaning out you.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery laid this down on his screen :
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Originally, the DVR could record two shows and you had to watch either one
of them or a previously recorded show. Life was just easier with two DVR.
With the new one I can record 4 or 5 at a time but I just never bothered
replacing the second one.

The home TV sure has came a long way. With the Direct TV I can record about
5 shows at once. Then every room can record and play back. I have 3 sets
hooked up and an option for 4. Also can stream much of it to a wifi device.

I am using a Republic smart phone that costs $ 12 per month for unlimiated
call and text and if around a wifi system unliminated internet. That thing
will stream the TV around the house.

I just need to find time to watch some of the recorded shows. More stuff on
than I have time to devote to the boob tube.

My Wife records Her shows and movies then edits out the commercials. I
do the same, but not on all My programs. I should on the Discovery
channel for 'Street Outlaws' and on the Velocity channel for several of
My favorite shows, as well as 'Animal Planet' programs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren submitted this idea :
On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 17:54:06 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

On 12/10/2015 6:28 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 16:15:28 -0500, Wade Garrett
wrote:

NY City reports it's struggling to keep booming population of stray cats
under control. Tough one. Have they tried “Cat-Free Zone” signs?
- @fredthompson RIP

Makes me wonder how deer read Deer Crossing Zone signs.

There was supposedly a lady that complained to the state about them
putting deer crossing signs up to have the deer follow them and block
the road.

I just ate some venison from Georgia, Bubba gave me. They crossed a
.270 Remington bullet and ended up in the freezer

Yum! :')

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tekkie® explained on 12/12/2015 :
[...]

^_^

[8~{} Uncle Barf Monster

Brown fog Brown out....

Hershey Squirts...Rocky Road...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster used his keyboard to write :
[...]

From what, who knows but this is the first time my stomach has bothered
[...]

I do much the same for My Lakota kids.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Leisure Suit Larry explained :
On 12/10/2015 01:15 PM, Eagle wrote:
What do you pay for TV, internet and phone?

Lowest channel tier TV and 124Mb/24Mb Internet from Comcast is ~$120

Ooma phone is ~$5/mo

AT$T U-Verse 6Mb/1Mb is $51/mo

Do you like your ooma service?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y posted for all of us...

I can understand not being physically/mentally
able to undertake other activities.

Yeah, it's called the crapshoot of life. I'm glad my wife and did our thing
when we were younger. Can't do now. Put ourselves in debt earlier but
working several jobs didn't seem so bad because of a reward. We still
volunteer to the best of our abilities; as we have been doing over 40 years.

From being on the other side; every day is a gift.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

On Thursday, December 10, 2015 at 3:35:29 PM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:

No interest in learning another killset? Mentoring youth? Volunteering
at a hospice? etc.

I'd like to learn another "killset". Perhaps I could learn to be a ninja assassin. ( -_?) ??-? ?

[8~{} Uncle Mimja Monster

I think the brown fog is sufficient.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eagle" no@not now.ever wrote in message
My Wife records Her shows and movies then edits out the commercials. I

do the same, but not on all My programs. I should on the Discovery channel
for 'Street Outlaws' and on the Velocity channel for several of My
favorite shows, as well as 'Animal Planet' programs.

Seems that many of the educational programs like you mentioned and some
others are about all commercials. My box has a 30 second fast forward
button and I have just about worn it out skipping over the commercials. The
to top it all off, after a commercial they repeat about the last minuit or
two of what was just on. A half hour show is about 15 minuits after all
that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2015 10:53 PM, Don Y wrote:
Do you eliminate these capabilities from your user interface? Or, come
up with alternatives for each different modality? Do you introduce some
sort of "translation layer" in an attempt to match other implementations
to your original set of capabilities? Which users do you effectively
*penalize* by a poor choice of underlying interface assumptions?

I recently reviewed a RFP that came under Federal guidelines. For the
visually impaired, we do the usual selection of large fonts and so
forth, plus customizable colors for colorblind and so on. The hearing
impaired are covered since the various sound alerts we play are really
ear candy. There is always a visual cue, color change, flashing, or
whatever. One of the programmers is quadriplegic so alternate screen
traversal methods are up to snuff.

However, being a Federal government project I was waiting for the 'how
will you design your product to be used by a deaf, dumb, and blind
pinball wizard?'

I don't know how we'd even do completely blind. Text to speech is easy
enough but navigating multiple contextual UIs?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2015 12:19 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

Interesting. Do you think it's possible to make improve hearing aids so
that it's easier to tell where a sound is coming from and more easily
pick out voices from noise, or is it just too complicated?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2015 2:10 PM, rbowman wrote:
[...]

That's the problem with the "retrofit" approach to UI's. Concepts that
are appropriate for one sort of modality simply may have no counterpart
in *other* modalities.

Instead, you have to rethink the interface aspect in a more wholistic
fashion; what do you *need* to convey across that interface? And, how
can you do that without relying on capabilities of a particular modality.

E.g., "command lines" expect the user to be able to type out the names
of commands, arguments, switches, etc. Yet, there are relatively few
ACTUAL command names! And, for a given name, an even smaller set of
"valid" arguments, etc. An interface that relies on the ability to
"type" command/argument/switch designations is crippling to other
modalities where "typing" is impractical (even if you let the user
"speak" the individual letters, etc.).

OTOH, a multiple choice interface is more "portable"; the issue evolves
into the *choosing* mechanism instead of a *typing* one.

E.g., SWMBO's car won't let her "type" commands while the car is
in motion (nor can the passenger do so on the driver's behalf!).
But, it will let the driver *speak* (and spell!) commands -- in
the belief that this is less of a cognitive load (i.e., distraction)
than *typing* (button pushing) would be.

Yet, the driver has to constantly consult the display to see what
he *can* say, what has been *recognized*, etc. So, it's as distracting
as if he could just reach over and push a button!

(Response time also violates the ~300ms limit for "natural" interfaces
so the driver/user is always focused on the device instead of the road)

A perfect example of how some dweeb took a design intended for
someone NOT driving a vehicle and tried to hammer it into a form
that a driver *could* use.

Poorly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2015 2:13 PM, Muggles wrote:

Interesting. Do you think it's possible to make improve hearing aids so
that it's easier to tell where a sound is coming from and more easily
pick out voices from noise, or is it just too complicated?

Localization could probably be handled -- with more smarts in the
hearing aid and more "fitting" (to the auditory system of the
wearer, NOT to the "ear").

Noise is always a tough one. How do you define "noise"? Do you
NOT want to hear the squealing sound that the warning indicator
on your brake pads/shoes is making to alert you to the fact that
you're about to score the rotors/drums? Do you NOT want to
hear your infant crying? Do you NOT want to hear that gawdawful
music to which your kids are listening?

When you are listening to a telephone call, how does the hearing aid
decide to filter out the hissing/static that is coming in *with* the
voice? Or, the sounds *around* that remote caller?

Certain types of sounds can be removed with some success. E.g.,
phonograph records often had "pops" -- annoying to hear and
potentially damaging to equipment (depending on volume levels, etc.).
You can design a "pop filter" that will largely remove/attenuate
these.

OTOH, apply that same filter to a conversation with a !Kung bushman
and you're removing "content", not "noise"!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2015 2:02 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Eagle" no@not now.ever wrote in message
My Wife records Her shows and movies then edits out the commercials. I

do the same, but not on all My programs. I should on the Discovery channel
for 'Street Outlaws' and on the Velocity channel for several of My
favorite shows, as well as 'Animal Planet' programs.

Seems that many of the educational programs like you mentioned and some
others are about all commercials. My box has a 30 second fast forward
button and I have just about worn it out skipping over the commercials. The
to top it all off, after a commercial they repeat about the last minuit or
two of what was just on. A half hour show is about 15 minuits after all
that.

My HTPC can be told to remove commercials from recorded content so
that it just plays the source material without "inconveniencing"
me with their appearances.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 12, 2015 at 1:22:34 PM UTC-6, FrozenNorth wrote:
On 2015-12-12 10:22 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I feel your pain. One of the nurses here has small children who are in school and the little critters are swimming in the plague whenever they're gathered into large groups. Anyway, the nurse had the sniffles which she caught from the little plague carriers and passed it around the whole center. I caught it but the residents who aren't as strong were in really bad shape. My roommate who's a complete invalid was in bad enough shape that he required medication to help clear it up. Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Plague Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 12, 2015 at 2:26:06 PM UTC-6, Tekkie® wrote:
[...]

I have no idea what caused it. But I'm still having bouts of diarrhea and the worst thing is the gas. The amount, pressure and velocity of the escaping flatulence causes me a great deal of pain. I timed some of the farts and they went on for as much a 4 seconds. It really hurts. 4 seconds is a very long time when you're in pain. Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Gassy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Dec 2015 10:04:25 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Saturday, December 12, 2015 at 10:36:25 AM UTC-6, Muggles wrote:
On 12/12/2015 9:48 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
and I'm getting strong enough to get up in a walker again. I'll be break dancing in no time. ?(•?•)?

[8~{} Uncle Gimpy Monster

I want a video of that, pls!
--
Maggie

What format? ???

Foxtrot.

[8~{} Uncle Video Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 12:09:42 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

I went to buy some material at Jo-Anns and the check out process if a
nightmare. They only have one line for everything, so if you have
material you want cut first, they do it right there are the check out.

Hmm. I was in Jo-Anns not long ago, and I just wanted to know where
the clear vinyl was (I'm making a dress for my girlfriend.) and the
cashier in front was far away from the possible locations, and the
only other clerk was at a cutting table with 6 people ahead of me.

Now my question would only take her 10 seconds to answer, but everyone
was so patient, I had the feeling I was intruding even to ask where it
was.

But after a while I intruded anyhow. Then I had to wait for them
to cut it, but by that time, I'd gotten used to that idea.

So, here are mostly ladies with buggies full of small items and multiple
bolts of material that needs to be measured and cut. I was lucky since
there were only 3 people in front of me, but each of those people had
about 6 to 10 small bolts of material with each bolt needing a different
length of material to be cut. I literally waited 45 minutes in line just
to get up there so they could cut my material out for me, and then I
could purchase it. Getting my material measured and cut took another 30
minutes. To top it off the lady who was measuring and cutting my
material had only been there 2 weeks and took a good 3 minutes to just
cut the material across the width. It's the most inefficient method of
checking customers out I've EVER seen.

Normally, a fabric store will have tables on the floor where they can go
to get fabric measured and cut, and then they can take all their items
to the check out to be rung up. I just don't get it why this store does
it this way.

--
Maggie