Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How Much?

On 12/12/2015 07:21 PM, Micky wrote:
But after a while I intruded anyhow. Then I had to wait for them
to cut it, but by that time, I'd gotten used to that idea.

Do they get upset when you pull out your Kershaw and cut it yourself?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2015 3:43 PM, Eagle wrote:
Ed Pawlowski used his keyboard to write :
On 12/12/2015 9:22 AM, Eagle wrote:

OK Ed, thanks much!
So your DirectTV bill is about $227.00 per month for TV with two DVR's
and 3 satellite TV boxes [HD?]no premium TV channels, DSL internet and
one landline, right? Not bad but two DVR's?

Originally, the DVR could record two shows and you had to watch either
one of them or a previously recorded show. Life was just easier with
two DVR. With the new one I can record 4 or 5 at a time but I just
never bothered replacing the second one.

Are you paying rent on both DVR's?

Yes, a DVR (high def) is $10 a month. A receiver is $6.50 so I'm only
paying an extra $3.50 to have an additional recorder. For comparison,
if you have only 1 TV the $163 I pay could be cut by about $30
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski brought next idea :
On 12/12/2015 3:43 PM, Eagle wrote:
Ed Pawlowski used his keyboard to write :
On 12/12/2015 9:22 AM, Eagle wrote:

OK Ed, thanks much!
So your DirectTV bill is about $227.00 per month for TV with two DVR's
and 3 satellite TV boxes [HD?]no premium TV channels, DSL internet and
one landline, right? Not bad but two DVR's?

Originally, the DVR could record two shows and you had to watch either
one of them or a previously recorded show. Life was just easier with
two DVR. With the new one I can record 4 or 5 at a time but I just
never bothered replacing the second one.

Are you paying rent on both DVR's?

Yes, a DVR (high def) is $10 a month. A receiver is $6.50 so I'm only paying
an extra $3.50 to have an additional recorder. For comparison, if you have
only 1 TV the $163 I pay could be cut by about $30

Why not just buy your own recorder?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster submitted this idea :
I feel your pain.

OK Bill... ^^
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 12/12/2015, Uncle Monster supposed :

I have no idea what caused it. But I'm still having bouts of diarrhea and the
worst thing is the gas. The amount, pressure and velocity of the escaping
flatulence causes me a great deal of pain. I timed some of the farts and they
went on for as much a 4 seconds. It really hurts. 4 seconds is a very long
time when you're in pain. Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Gassy Monster

You know, this is about the most ****ty subject ever posted here
Uncle... :/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2015 9:26 AM, Eagle wrote:
on 12/12/2015, Uncle Monster supposed :

I have no idea what caused it. But I'm still having bouts of diarrhea
and the worst thing is the gas. The amount, pressure and velocity of
the escaping flatulence causes me a great deal of pain. I timed some
of the farts and they went on for as much a 4 seconds. It really
hurts. 4 seconds is a very long time when you're in pain. Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Gassy Monster

You know, this is about the most ****ty subject ever posted here
Uncle... :/

I hate to be anal retentive, but these
threads seem to last forever. People
really hang on to these things.

Ain't that the toot!

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, December 13, 2015 at 8:26:22 AM UTC-6, Eagle wrote:
on 12/12/2015, Uncle Monster supposed :

I have no idea what caused it. But I'm still having bouts of diarrhea and the
worst thing is the gas. The amount, pressure and velocity of the escaping
flatulence causes me a great deal of pain. I timed some of the farts and they
went on for as much a 4 seconds. It really hurts. 4 seconds is a very long
time when you're in pain. Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Gassy Monster

You know, this is about the most ****ty subject ever posted here
Uncle... :/

One of the roommates I had at the center was a really nice guy who was 75 and was here recovering from knee replacement surgery. Some time before, he'd had gastrointestinal surgery and for some reason ever since the surgery he was plagued with nuclear farts. He'd go in the bathroom and the godawful sound of farts was soon echoing out of the toilet bowl. It was so loud it rattled the door and a single continuous fart had a duration of 15 seconds. His farts were breathtaking. I'd never heard anything like that in my life and didn't think it possible. A 2 to 4 second fart is enough for me. Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Poot Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

After serious thinking Stormin Mormon wrote :
On 12/13/2015 9:26 AM, Eagle wrote:
on 12/12/2015, Uncle Monster supposed :

I have no idea what caused it. But I'm still having bouts of diarrhea
and the worst thing is the gas. The amount, pressure and velocity of
the escaping flatulence causes me a great deal of pain. I timed some
of the farts and they went on for as much a 4 seconds. It really
hurts. 4 seconds is a very long time when you're in pain. Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Gassy Monster

You know, this is about the most ****ty subject ever posted here
Uncle... :/

I hate to be anal retentive, but these
threads seem to last forever. People
really hang on to these things.

Ain't that the toot!

Speaking of doo doo and toot, still a ****ty subject. ^^
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster explained on 12/13/2015 :
[...]

It must be tough having to be a fart smeller all day long...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Uncle Monster" wrote in message
One of the roommates I had at the center was a really nice guy who was 75
and was here recovering from knee replacement surgery. Some time before,
he'd had gastrointestinal surgery and for some reason ever since the
surgery he was plagued with nuclear farts. He'd go in the bathroom and the
godawful sound of farts was soon echoing out of the toilet bowl. It was so
loud it rattled the door and a single continuous fart had a duration of 15
seconds. His farts were breathtaking. I'd never heard anything like that in
my life and didn't think it possible. A 2 to 4 second fart is enough for
me. ?.?

[8~{} Uncle Poot Monster

Sounds like you may need to give him a Christmas present of Beno.
http://www.beano.net/en/about-beano/beano-products.aspx

Get the large economy size.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2015 9:23 AM, Eagle wrote:

Are you paying rent on both DVR's?

Yes, a DVR (high def) is $10 a month. A receiver is $6.50 so I'm only
paying an extra $3.50 to have an additional recorder. For comparison,
if you have only 1 TV the $163 I pay could be cut by about $30

Why not just buy your own recorder?

Many of the DVR are only for OTA, but there may be some that will work
with satellite. The technology has changed rapidly and i have the latest
available. If something goes wrong, one phone call gets it
fixed/replaced.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski formulated the question :
On 12/13/2015 9:23 AM, Eagle wrote:

Are you paying rent on both DVR's?

Yes, a DVR (high def) is $10 a month. A receiver is $6.50 so I'm only
paying an extra $3.50 to have an additional recorder. For comparison,
if you have only 1 TV the $163 I pay could be cut by about $30

Why not just buy your own recorder?

Many of the DVR are only for OTA, but there may be some that will work with
satellite. The technology has changed rapidly and i have the latest
available. If something goes wrong, one phone call gets it fixed/replaced.

Does that work on satilite wives? )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Dec 2015 15:42:24 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 12/13/2015 9:23 AM, Eagle wrote:

Are you paying rent on both DVR's?

Yes, a DVR (high def) is $10 a month. A receiver is $6.50 so I'm only
paying an extra $3.50 to have an additional recorder. For comparison,
if you have only 1 TV the $163 I pay could be cut by about $30

Why not just buy your own recorder?

Many of the DVR are only for OTA, but there may be some that will work
with satellite. The technology has changed rapidly and i have the latest
available. If something goes wrong, one phone call gets it
fixed/replaced.

With all of the DRM, I imagine the only DVR that will work with a
cable/sat box will be connected via Composite or Component inputs.
I am not sure you get high def from the component (it is capable but
it might not be allowed) and the composite is basically NTSC
HD on the HDMI will be blocked. You might not even get SD.

I have a pretty good mix of stuff here and I get a message that the
"DRM is not enabled and I can only see SD" a lot.

There may be PC solutions that are not that well regulated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2015 3:42 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/12/2015 2:13 PM, Muggles wrote:

Interesting. Do you think it's possible to make improve hearing aids so
that it's easier to tell where a sound is coming from and more easily
pick out voices from noise, or is it just too complicated?

Localization could probably be handled -- with more smarts in the
hearing aid and more "fitting" (to the auditory system of the
wearer, NOT to the "ear").

Noise is always a tough one. How do you define "noise"? Do you
NOT want to hear the squealing sound that the warning indicator
on your brake pads/shoes is making to alert you to the fact that
you're about to score the rotors/drums? Do you NOT want to
hear your infant crying? Do you NOT want to hear that gawdawful
music to which your kids are listening?

When you are listening to a telephone call, how does the hearing aid
decide to filter out the hissing/static that is coming in *with* the
voice? Or, the sounds *around* that remote caller?

Certain types of sounds can be removed with some success. E.g.,
phonograph records often had "pops" -- annoying to hear and
potentially damaging to equipment (depending on volume levels, etc.).
You can design a "pop filter" that will largely remove/attenuate
these.

OTOH, apply that same filter to a conversation with a !Kung bushman
and you're removing "content", not "noise"!

Well, for me noise is that white noise stuff.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2015 8:21 PM, Micky wrote:
On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 12:09:42 -0600, Muggles
wrote:

I went to buy some material at Jo-Anns and the check out process if a
nightmare. They only have one line for everything, so if you have
material you want cut first, they do it right there are the check out.

Hmm. I was in Jo-Anns not long ago, and I just wanted to know where
the clear vinyl was (I'm making a dress for my girlfriend.) and the
cashier in front was far away from the possible locations, and the
only other clerk was at a cutting table with 6 people ahead of me.

Now my question would only take her 10 seconds to answer, but everyone
was so patient, I had the feeling I was intruding even to ask where it
was.

But after a while I intruded anyhow. Then I had to wait for them
to cut it, but by that time, I'd gotten used to that idea.

How did the dress turn out?

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
On 12/11/2015 12:12 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/11/2015 10:58 AM, Muggles wrote:

Maybe you could design better hearing aids?

I'm primarily interested in addressing less well served populations:
visually impaired, physically handicapped. Most "devices" nowadays
interact with people visually (so hearing-impaired is not at a loss
to use them!) and with some degree of manual dexterity.

Folks who can't see and/or are largely immobile are effectively
deprived access to those devices and systems.

To put it in perspective, imagine your smart phone had NO (visual)
display. What would it be like to use it -- sighted?

Sometimes, I can't see things when I can't hear them, and things I can
hear I've no idea where the sound is coming from. I imagine that feels
similar.

My fellow musician playing just beside me in our band has just fitted a
hearing aid. She was always playing too loud and finally found out her
hearing was getting weak. Even with the help of insurance, she had to
spend ~5K for custom fit pair. Hearing aid is made to articulate human
voice frequency mainly minimizing noises. Tuned to maybe 3K to 5K Hertz
frequency. We both play euphonium which belongs to low brass section
even tho we can go up as high upto trumpet sound range.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2015 11:09 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Muggles wrote:
[...]

My dr. told me that background noise is in the same tone levels as mens
voices. Is frequency and tone the same thing? Maybe it's not... I'm
not sure when it comes to hearing aids.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
[...]

Some old folks say they have non-stop surfing sound, ringing, buzzing
noise in their ears. It is one of aging sign. Is this your case? Some
times people with high BP have this problem. Cancelling out random noise
is very difficult. There are many types of high tech hearing aid.
Why don't you consult pro audiologist, try some of different type
hearing aids? You may find one which can help you. There is a hearing
tester on internet. If you have HiFi stereo you can play/test your
hearing easily. I am beginning to lose hearing very high or very low
frequencies now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
[...]

I'd rather say tone is quality of sound and pitch is measured in
frequency like I mentioned earlier, human voice frequency for general
conversation is in the range of 3000 to 5000 Hertz. This range contains
most sound energy. Telephone lines are designed to deliver for this
frequency range. Don't your insurance help for hearing test or hearing
aid prescription? B4 going into IT engineering, I spent years in
communications, RF, Telephony. I have been HAM radio op for over half a
century. I use microphone designed to deliver articulated human voice
in that range of frequency. Our radio receivers have noise blanker
circuitry(which is not 100% effective but getting better with DSP and
such things) Always random noise is difficult to deal with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
[...]

"3,000 to 5,000"? Either you're talking to mice or you meant to write "300 to 5,000". Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Ear Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
[...]

Middle A pitch on piano is 440Hz.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2015 9:42 PM, Muggles wrote:

Certain types of sounds can be removed with some success. E.g.,
phonograph records often had "pops" -- annoying to hear and
potentially damaging to equipment (depending on volume levels, etc.).
You can design a "pop filter" that will largely remove/attenuate
these.

OTOH, apply that same filter to a conversation with a !Kung bushman
and you're removing "content", not "noise"!

Well, for me noise is that white noise stuff.

If it is *truly* "white noise" (it actually has a very precise definition),
then there's no way to filter it out. By it's very nature, it is "random"
so there are no "patterns" that a filter can recognize.

The better hope is to find patterns in the sounds that you *want* to
hear and filter those *through*.

OTOH, if the noise is "in your head" (inner ear, etc.) then there's
no way to compensate with *outside* sources -- short of boosting those
desired signals to a point where they overwhelm the "internal".
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
[...]

That was actually one of the fixed frequencies on an old signal generator my Signal Corps uncle had. (€¢€¿€¢)

[8~{} Uncle Tone Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2015 11:20 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Muggles wrote:
[...]

I suppose when it comes time for the New Year hearing tests my Dr. will
check and see if my current hearing aids are still sufficient. I'm on
my second set right now. They are better then my first set, at least.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
[...]

Luckily, our insurance covers H.Aids, for now, anyway.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/14/2015 12:50 AM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

hmmm Example... When they turn hearing aids up they can adjust for
specific tones to be louder, but then also just turn up all tones at a
certain point so that I hear everything at the same level.

Now, after having worn them for a few years when I go without them the
world is very quiet - like if a normal hearing person put cotton balls
in their ears.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/14/2015 9:47 PM, Muggles wrote:

hmmm Example... When they turn hearing aids up they can adjust for
specific tones to be louder, but then also just turn up all tones at a
certain point so that I hear everything at the same level.

There are one or more frequency selective ("parametric") filters in
the device that allow them to boost (or cut) specific frequency
ranges that they pass through to your eardrum. E.g., most speech tends
to be in the ~3-5KHz region -- larger "heads" lead to lower fundamental
frequencies (i.e., children and women tend to speak in a higher
register).

So, if your hearing deficiency concerns speech, this range might be
boosted for you -- the low end, middle or high depending on which
types of speakers you're having trouble understanding.

Having made a "low spot" in your hearing more "nominal" -- similar to
your hearing in other frequencies -- the overall gain (volume) can then be
increased.

Different sorts of things can go wrong in the ear to manifest in
different ways. The ear, like most organs, is actually a remarkable
device in its complexity *and* simplicity!

Now, after having worn them for a few years when I go without them the
world is very quiet - like if a normal hearing person put cotton balls
in their ears.

frown We had a couple of girls living across the street who were deaf.
An educational experience conversing with them! Hard to treat the
interpreter as the individual with whom you are conversing; "look at
*me*, not *her*!"

Also posed a delightfully simple problem (still unsolved): how to get the
attention of someone who is deaf when they can't *see* you! You can't
just shout at them, jump up and down, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2015 8:33 AM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

I think my current hearing aid will eventually need replacing because
most conversations I can't understand unless people are looking at me
and then speaking clearly and enunciating their words well. Trying to
understand conversation in groups or even on TV shows I've noticed that
I fill in a lot of blanks for words I'm not really hearing all the
sounds too. I wish I was better at reading lips than I am now.

Now, after having worn them for a few years when I go without them the
world is very quiet - like if a normal hearing person put cotton balls
in their ears.

frown We had a couple of girls living across the street who were deaf.
An educational experience conversing with them! Hard to treat the
interpreter as the individual with whom you are conversing; "look at
*me*, not *her*!"

Also posed a delightfully simple problem (still unsolved): how to get the
attention of someone who is deaf when they can't *see* you! You can't
just shout at them, jump up and down, etc.

You should just ask them what works for them. Maybe a gentle tap on the
shoulder, or a firm clap of your hands-they may be able to feel the beat
of your hands), or a flash light - they'll see it reflect on anything in
front of them.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

[...]

He may need a probotic to help restore the natural flora of the gut; such as
Lactobacillus acidophilus. You might also need it. Antibiotics destroy this
flora and this help to restore it.

I am not a physician nor do I play on TV, but I know my ****.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles posted for all of us...

wrote:

I went to buy some material at Jo-Anns and the check out process if a
nightmare. They only have one line for everything, so if you have
material you want cut first, they do it right there are the check out.

Hmm. I was in Jo-Anns not long ago, and I just wanted to know where
the clear vinyl was (I'm making a dress for my girlfriend.) and the
cashier in front was far away from the possible locations, and the
only other clerk was at a cutting table with 6 people ahead of me.

Now my question would only take her 10 seconds to answer, but everyone
was so patient, I had the feeling I was intruding even to ask where it
was.

But after a while I intruded anyhow. Then I had to wait for them
to cut it, but by that time, I'd gotten used to that idea.

How did the dress turn out?

It was very cute on him.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
[...]

Earlier today I was talking to a friend who got new hearing aids a
few weeks ago. Tiny things, almost invisible. I wouldn't have noticed
them if he hadn't pointed them out.

He told that he was almost deaf in one ear and his doctor was concerned
that the section of the brain that processes sounds from that ear could
"shut down". That, in turn, could make him more susceptible to Alzheimer's
and other dementia type maladies.

He said that the aid for that ear constantly produces a small amount of
white noise to keep the brain busy. He said that the volume is so low that
he only hears it if it is dead quiet. The slightest amount of external
noise exceeds the white noise so it doesn't bother him at all.

Ever heard (no pun intended) of that sort of thing?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
[...]

Yes ... The brain learns how to process what you can hear and also
learns to compensate for what you don't hear.

My Dr. told me since I lost part of my hearing when I was a teen that
since I already knew what words sounded like, how they were pronounced,
that even though I couldn't actually hear many words, and some words I
couldn't hear the beginnings or endings of the words, one or the other,
that my brain compensated by filling in the blanks of what I could
actually hear with what I remembered. I thought I could hear normally
because of that. The Dr also told me my brain would have to learn how
to hear all over again wearing hearing aids, so that was why when I got
them they weren't adjusted at full levels and only gradually adjusted
over a period of a couple of years. The last time I went they were
turned up louder a little bit more than they'd been previously, which,
still isn't as loud as a normal hearer would experience, but for me it
can be painful or startle me when certain sounds happen suddenly.

Now, that my brain has adjusted to this level when I don't wear them the
world sounds very quiet, when before I ever wore the things the world
sounded normal in volume. Or at least I thought it was normal.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
[...]

I guess I should have been more specific with my question. I have no doubt that the
brain (and body) can compensate for a countless number of shortcomings/changes
throughout our lifes.

I'm more curious about the claim that late onset deafness can lead to dementia because
the brain shuts down an area it doesn't think It needs anymore.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Muggles wrote:
[...]

oh, sorry. I've seen a few articles on it on the web, but I don't know
for sure if it's been confirmed.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 15, 2015 at 1:58:01 PM UTC-6, Tekkie® wrote:
[...]

I've regularly taken acidophilus in the past and ate yogurt if I had to take antibiotics. I believe you meant to write "probiotic" because Romanian robots don't taste so good or you were referring to the Probotic brand name of probiotics? I once took a combination of Acidophilus and L.rhamnosus which seemed to be helpful. Of course I'm not getting anything other than what's on my medical chart except for the Naproxen Sodium and Acetaminophen my friend Stinky smuggled in for me. I may get him to bring me some supplements like vitamins or probiotics. I must hide them from the staff or they freak out. Š™.˜‰

[8~{} Uncle Supplement Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2015 8:20 AM, Muggles wrote:
[...]

I suspect it depends on the actual anatomical/neurological reasons
behind your (increased) hearing loss. I've a couple of friends
with cochlear implants who seem happy with them.

Now, after having worn them for a few years when I go without them the
world is very quiet - like if a normal hearing person put cotton balls
in their ears.

frown We had a couple of girls living across the street who were deaf.
An educational experience conversing with them! Hard to treat the
interpreter as the individual with whom you are conversing; "look at
*me*, not *her*!"

Also posed a delightfully simple problem (still unsolved): how to get the
attention of someone who is deaf when they can't *see* you! You can't
just shout at them, jump up and down, etc.

You should just ask them what works for them. Maybe a gentle tap on the
shoulder, or a firm clap of your hands-they may be able to feel the beat
of your hands), or a flash light - they'll see it reflect on anything in
front of them.

This incident happened when I was checking on our mutual neighbor's
property. I was walking the perimeter of the house (checking windows
and doors, etc.) and noticed her tending her garden in her own back yard.

With her *back* to me (on the other side of the yard).

As I would with any neighbor, I got ready to hail her -- then caught myself
realizing she'd not hear me! Then, sat in a bit of a stupor trying to figure
out a "solution" to this problem.

Nearest i could imagine would be tossing pebbles in her direction and
hoping she noticed one out of the corner of her eye. But, my aim at 100 ft
isn't something I wanted to trust -- could just as easily have hit her in
the back/head/etc.

At night, a flashlight could have worked -- if I'd had a flashlight on
my person!

I just found it amusing that it was such a *tiny* problem -- yet one
that had no real solution! So, I walked back home...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/17/2015 8:49 AM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/15/2015 8:20 AM, Muggles wrote:
On 12/15/2015 8:33 AM, Don Y wrote:

[...]
[...]

A small laser pointer would work during the day to get someones
attention like that, perhaps.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/17/2015 4:07 PM, Muggles wrote:

I just found it amusing that it was such a *tiny* problem -- yet one
that had no real solution! So, I walked back home...

A small laser pointer would work during the day to get someones
attention like that, perhaps.

Hmmm... that could work! Assuming she didn't behave like a CAT
and just try to *swat* at it! :

The "proper" solution, nowadays, would be to dial her pager,
wait for her to receive and read the message, then turn around
to greet me! :

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/17/2015 10:00 PM, Don Y wrote:
On 12/17/2015 4:07 PM, Muggles wrote:

I just found it amusing that it was such a *tiny* problem -- yet one
that had no real solution! So, I walked back home...

A small laser pointer would work during the day to get someones
attention like that, perhaps.

Hmmm... that could work! Assuming she didn't behave like a CAT
and just try to *swat* at it! :

The "proper" solution, nowadays, would be to dial her pager,
wait for her to receive and read the message, then turn around
to greet me! :

There ya go then. Who'd have thought she'd have a page these days. lol

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/17/2015 10:02 PM, Muggles wrote:

The "proper" solution, nowadays, would be to dial her pager,
wait for her to receive and read the message, then turn around
to greet me! :

There ya go then. Who'd have thought she'd have a page these days. lol

They have "full text" pagers (nowadays, probably just use SMS on a regular
cell phone -- unless the text pager service is a free one?).

In any case, it would require me to have a device capable of sending
the message! At the very least, a cell phone to call the Relay Service
to get that message to her!

[They've long since moved away so not an issue. But, it was an
interesting exposure to a different set of "needs" based on
particular biological capabilities -- or lack thereof!]