Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default How Much?

On 12/11/2015 11:25 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Eagle" no@not now.ever wrote in message

Where would I hook up the twin lead on the TV? All I have are flat screen
TV's now. The old CRT TV's were used for target practice, as well as two
17 inch CRT monitors. :')

All the TV sets I have seen in many years are set up for a coax antenna
cable. For the majority of the stations now they are on the UHF band and
need a different antenna than the rabbit ears.

Yup. And, there are supposed to be "smart antennae" that can be
tweeked by the tuner. Never saw one, though.

I am about 30 and 50 miles from any major city and can get over 30 channels
on an outside antenna. Many of them are the same programs.

Depends on your market and topography. We're in a small, rather isolated,
market -- nearest large metropolitan area is ~100 miles -- so we're limited
to "local programming". OTOH, I don't really care much what the weather is
100 miles from here! :

We are 9 or 13 miles (as the crow flies) from the clusters of broadcast towers
serving our metro area. And, almost a perfect line-of-sight to the towers
(I can look out the front door at night and see their flashing red lights
atop the mountain).

Unfortunately, there is EXACTLY one tall tree in this part of the neighborhood
and it lies directly in line with our antenna! When it rains and/or high
winds, signal isn't worth even trying to receive! At least with analog TV
you'd get a snowwy picture -- but *some* picture and MOST of the audio!
Nowadays, it's all or nothing...

Thankfully, the tree is close enough that I can move the antenna to a
different part of the house to "get around it". But, that requires mounting
it on the roof, grounding it, etc. A fair bit of work for something we use
so infrequently!

I am not sure if any of the old crt screens have the digital tuners in them.
I do have a converter box for one old crt tv I have, but don't use that set
now.

The converter boxes are hard to come by, nowadays. And, all that I have seen
(recycling defective kit) suffer from short-term design goals. Caps tend
to fail pretty quickly (I suspect they were intended as short-term solutions
to buy time for folks to upgrade to digital TV's). They use a surprising
amount of power to do their job!