Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stayin' Warm

Sure takes a lot of firewood when it's only 3* outside . But we survived
last night , even though the water supply is frozen . I sure am glad I have
an onboard fresh water tank and a pump !
This is unusual cold for this area , hasn't been this cold since I think
they said 1996 . I hope it's at least another 18 years before it happens
again !
--
Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2014 10:51 AM, Snag wrote:
Sure takes a lot of firewood when it's only 3* outside . But we survived
last night , even though the water supply is frozen . I sure am glad I have
an onboard fresh water tank and a pump !
This is unusual cold for this area , hasn't been this cold since I think
they said 1996 . I hope it's at least another 18 years before it happens
again !

My sister heats with wood. She says normally 12
or 13 face cord per year. So far they have been
through 15 or more face, and hardly keeping the
house comfortable. The wind is blowing all the
heat away.

I also had a frozen pipe, neglected to leave the
water dripping. Sigh.

and am presently charging the battery on my Blazer,
which hasn't started yet this morning. Lucky the
power is still on.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/7/2014 10:51 AM, Snag wrote:
Sure takes a lot of firewood when it's only 3* outside . But we
survived last night , even though the water supply is frozen . I
sure am glad I have an onboard fresh water tank and a pump !
This is unusual cold for this area , hasn't been this cold since
I think they said 1996 . I hope it's at least another 18 years
before it happens again !

My sister heats with wood. She says normally 12
or 13 face cord per year. So far they have been
through 15 or more face, and hardly keeping the
house comfortable. The wind is blowing all the
heat away.

I also had a frozen pipe, neglected to leave the
water dripping. Sigh.

and am presently charging the battery on my Blazer,
which hasn't started yet this morning. Lucky the
power is still on.

The camper loses a lot of heat , it was never meant for winter use . But
we've got a few thousand trees , quite a lot of standing and downed dead
wood . That should get me thru the winter , we'll be better prepared next
year . And we DID leave a faucet dripping , just not quite enough flow .
My truck too is on the charger , wouldn't kick over earlier . I also hung
a 75W incan light bulb down between the rad and motor and threw a cover over
the hood area . I had slush in the radiator , but apparently not enough in
the motor to lock up the water pump .
--
Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2014 11:34 AM, Snag wrote:

The camper loses a lot of heat , it was never meant for winter use . But
we've got a few thousand trees , quite a lot of standing and downed dead
wood . That should get me thru the winter , we'll be better prepared next
year . And we DID leave a faucet dripping , just not quite enough flow .
My truck too is on the charger , wouldn't kick over earlier . I also hung
a 75W incan light bulb down between the rad and motor and threw a cover over
the hood area . I had slush in the radiator , but apparently not enough in
the motor to lock up the water pump .

Sorry to hear the cold is giving you trouble.
I wonder if I have any filament light bulbs I
can leave under the hood. Today I did use a
ceramic space heater to help thaw pipes.

My truck won't start on ether, so my main
mechanic suggests some heat on the distributor
cap, in case there is water in there.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Snag" wrote in message news
Sure takes a lot of firewood when it's only 3* outside . But we survived
last night , even though the water supply is frozen . I sure am glad I have
an onboard fresh water tank and a pump !
This is unusual cold for this area , hasn't been this cold since I think
they said 1996 . I hope it's at least another 18 years before it happens
again !
--
Snag

There is a Snag on Adventure riders motorcycle site. Is that you?? WW

---
protection is active.

Posted to alt.home.repair

WW wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message news
Sure takes a lot of firewood when it's only 3* outside . But we
survived last night , even though the water supply is frozen . I sure
am glad I have an onboard fresh water tank and a pump !
This is unusual cold for this area , hasn't been this cold since I
think they said 1996 . I hope it's at least another 18 years before
it happens again !

"There is a Snag on Adventure riders motorcycle site. Is that you?? WW"

No , but I do ride and am active on a couple of the Harley forums .
--
Snag
1990 FLHTCU

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 09:51:34 -0600, "Snag" wrote in

This is unusual cold for this area

What area is that?
Posted to alt.home.repair

CRNG wrote:
On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 09:51:34 -0600, "Snag" wrote in

This is unusual cold for this area

What area is that?

North central Arkansas . Stone County about 10 miles south of Mountain View
, to be more exact . We're building a house in a clearing in the woods .
Currently the "house" is connected by a hallway to the 25' camping trailer
we've been living in . And the camper isn't well insulated , as it was never
really intended for winter use .
--
Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 14:18:13 -0600, "Snag" wrote:

This is unusual cold for this area

What area is that?

North central Arkansas . Stone County about 10 miles south of Mountain View
, to be more exact . We're building a house in a clearing in the woods .
Currently the "house" is connected by a hallway to the 25' camping trailer
we've been living in . And the camper isn't well insulated , as it was never
really intended for winter use .

.... support your local hippie... shopdogsam. He lives on the East
Coast of Arkansas.

One real smart feller. A real hoot when he cooks. See his Youtube page
for videos of all sorts. Maytag Gas Engines, Flywheel Engines and an
electric mouse trap. Don't miss his fireside chats.

http://www.youtube.com/user/shopdogsam?feature=watch
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 12:09:55 -0600, "Snag" wrote:

WW wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message news
Sure takes a lot of firewood when it's only 3* outside . But we
survived last night , even though the water supply is frozen . I sure
am glad I have an onboard fresh water tank and a pump !
This is unusual cold for this area , hasn't been this cold since I
think they said 1996 . I hope it's at least another 18 years before
it happens again !

"There is a Snag on Adventure riders motorcycle site. Is that you?? WW"

No , but I do ride and am active on a couple of the Harley forums .

Wasn't Snag the 6th most poplular boy's name in 1972?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 10:34:55 -0600, "Snag" wrote:

The camper loses a lot of heat , it was never meant for winter use . But
we've got a few thousand trees , quite a lot of standing and downed dead
wood . That should get me thru the winter , we'll be better prepared next
year . And we DID leave a faucet dripping , just not quite enough flow .

At least you delayed the freezing.

I have one water tap that when left dripping, closes, and another that
opens more. Aren't there some magic words to make them stay where they
are? (only one is used for avoiding a frozen pipe, but it's still
strange.)

My truck too is on the charger , wouldn't kick over earlier . I also hung
a 75W incan light bulb down between the rad and motor and threw a cover over
the hood area . I had slush in the radiator , but apparently not enough in
the motor to lock up the water pump .

The lowest it has gotten here is 8+ F. Arkansas should be a lot
warmer than that. I wonder what went wrong?

But if you're in Minnesota and have full strength anti-freeze (that is,
50/50) I heard on the news it will freeze at the temps they have there.
(Wind chill has no effect unless your car sweats or you're pouring water
on it that evaporates. If it freezes instead, I think the ice is a
modest insulator.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

WW wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message news
Sure takes a lot of firewood when it's only 3* outside . But we
survived last night , even though the water supply is frozen . I
sure am glad I have an onboard fresh water tank and a pump !
This is unusual cold for this area , hasn't been this cold since I
think they said 1996 . I hope it's at least another 18 years before
it happens again !

"There is a Snag on Adventure riders motorcycle site. Is that you??
WW"

No , but I do ride and am active on a couple of the Harley forums .

Wasn't Snag the 6th most poplular boy's name in 1972?

I don't know ... I got the nickname in 1963 at the age of 13 when I broke
off a front tooth ...
--
Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/7/2014 11:34 AM, Snag wrote:

The camper loses a lot of heat , it was never meant for winter use . But
we've got a few thousand trees , quite a lot of standing and downed dead
wood . That should get me thru the winter , we'll be better prepared next
year . And we DID leave a faucet dripping , just not quite enough flow .
My truck too is on the charger , wouldn't kick over earlier . I also hung
a 75W incan light bulb down between the rad and motor and threw a cover over
the hood area . I had slush in the radiator , but apparently not enough in
the motor to lock up the water pump .

Sorry to hear the cold is giving you trouble.
I wonder if I have any filament light bulbs I
can leave under the hood. Today I did use a
ceramic space heater to help thaw pipes.

My truck won't start on ether, so my main
mechanic suggests some heat on the distributor
cap, in case there is water in there.

I'm not bragging or anything, but it was -2 this morning and both my '04
and my wife's '05 started with one push of the remote from my nice warm
living room. My daughter had to go out and start her '02, but it turned
over on the first try.

My wife's car usually stalls right after starting when it's below 20 or so,
but the remote automatically tries again and it always stays running on the
second try.

I know I'm wasting gas/money, but it's safer to drive when you're not
shivering. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/7/2014 11:34 AM, Snag wrote:

[...]

Hey , the wife's '01 Mazda Tribute fired the first time too . But my '86
carbed GMC pickup is anudder animal ...
--
Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

Snag wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/7/2014 11:34 AM, Snag wrote:

[...]

Hi,
-2 deg. is cold? No block heater for the engine?
Even -20 deg. is nothing for us up here. Our cold is
very, very dry cold.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stayin' Warm in a heated car

On 1/7/2014 10:22 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

My truck won't start on ether, so my main
mechanic suggests some heat on the distributor
cap, in case there is water in there.

I'm not bragging or anything, but it was -2 this morning and both my '04
and my wife's '05 started with one push of the remote from my nice warm
living room. My daughter had to go out and start her '02, but it turned
over on the first try.

My wife's car usually stalls right after starting when it's below 20 or so,
but the remote automatically tries again and it always stays running on the
second try.

I know I'm wasting gas/money, but it's safer to drive when you're not
shivering. ;-)

Reading your text reminded me of this classic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6DrMkLNYKw
Beach Boys, Little Deuce Coupe.
That said, may have found the problem, dirty connection
on the ignition coil, or the ignition module.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 22:47:48 -0600, "Snag" wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/7/2014 11:34 AM, Snag wrote:

[...]

The '96 4.0 Ranger growled a bit but fired on about the third turn.
The 02 Taurus didn't turn twice before it started.

The furnace ran 10 hours and 38 minutes- - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2014 10:22 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm not bragging or anything, but it was -2 this morning and both my '04
and my wife's '05 started with one push of the remote from my nice warm
living room.

I know I'm wasting gas/money, but it's safer to drive when you're not
shivering. ;-)

I actually calculated the cost of idling and I'm willing to pay the few
cents to have a warm car. I also put the seat heater switch in the "on"
position to get that started too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/7/2014 10:22 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm not bragging or anything, but it was -2 this morning and both my '04
and my wife's '05 started with one push of the remote from my nice warm
living room.

I know I'm wasting gas/money, but it's safer to drive when you're not
shivering. ;-)

I actually calculated the cost of idling and I'm willing to pay the few
cents to have a warm car. I also put the seat heater switch in the "on"
position to get that started too.

Hi,
Driving warms up car faster. My wife's car has auto climate control
which blows hot air almost right away. I start engin,e as soon as hi
idle speed drops I drive away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/7/2014 10:22 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm not bragging or anything, but it was -2 this morning and both my '04
and my wife's '05 started with one push of the remote from my nice warm
living room.

I know I'm wasting gas/money, but it's safer to drive when you're not
shivering. ;-)

I actually calculated the cost of idling and I'm willing to pay the few
cents to have a warm car. I also put the seat heater switch in the "on"
position to get that started too.

Hi,
Driving warms up car faster. My wife's car has auto climate control which
blows hot air almost right away. I start engin,e as soon as hi idle speed
drops I drive away.

Sure, driving warms the car faster, but I'd still have to be in the cold
car while it heated up. As long as I start it early enough, I can go from a
nice warm house to a nice warm car with no ice on the windows, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/7/2014 10:22 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm not bragging or anything, but it was -2 this morning and both my '04
and my wife's '05 started with one push of the remote from my nice warm
living room.

I know I'm wasting gas/money, but it's safer to drive when you're not
shivering. ;-)

I actually calculated the cost of idling and I'm willing to pay the few
cents to have a warm car. I also put the seat heater switch in the "on"
position to get that started too.

My trucks seats also start warming up on auto start, if it's cold. That's
nice. Side mirrors also.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 07 Jan 2014 11:05:50 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 1/7/2014 10:51 AM, Snag wrote:
Sure takes a lot of firewood when it's only 3* outside . But we survived
last night , even though the water supply is frozen . I sure am glad I have
an onboard fresh water tank and a pump !
This is unusual cold for this area , hasn't been this cold since I think
they said 1996 . I hope it's at least another 18 years before it happens
again !

My sister heats with wood. She says normally 12
or 13 face cord per year. So far they have been
through 15 or more face, and hardly keeping the
house comfortable. The wind is blowing all the
heat away.

That can't be! We all know that windchill only affects animate
objects!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 8 Jan 2014 03:22:59 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/7/2014 11:34 AM, Snag wrote:

[...]

I've never had a car, that didn't have something wrong with it, that
didn't start, even below -20F. I have had batteries fail,
unexpectedly (well, I should have expected) at much higher
temperatures but if the car is in good working order it should start
at much temperatures *much* below what you've seen.

I know I'm wasting gas/money, but it's safer to drive when you're not
shivering. ;-)

I don't like them because I've been burned by them killing the
battery. No thanks. The wasted gas is a plus. It ****es off the
greenies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/7/2014 11:34 AM, Snag wrote:

[...]

Mine ran 36 hours straight and didn't hold temperature for much of
that (3F below thermostat set point for at least 12 hours). We only
see temperatures that "low" every 25 years or so, so it's not a big
deal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/2014 10:51 AM, Snag wrote:
Sure takes a lot of firewood when it's only 3* outside . But we survived
last night , even though the water supply is frozen . I sure am glad I have
an onboard fresh water tank and a pump !
This is unusual cold for this area , hasn't been this cold since I think
they said 1996 . I hope it's at least another 18 years before it happens
again !

It has warmed up here...21F....so we went for a ride, ran some errands,
came home along a lake near home in time to see three bald eagles out on
the ice looking for lunch. One adult and two juveniles. This is
north-central Indiana. It's snowing again, adding to about 17" from two
previous storms.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:
On 1/7/2014 10:51 AM, Snag wrote:
Sure takes a lot of firewood when it's only 3* outside . But we
survived last night , even though the water supply is frozen . I
sure am glad I have an onboard fresh water tank and a pump !
This is unusual cold for this area , hasn't been this cold since
I think they said 1996 . I hope it's at least another 18 years
before it happens again !

It has warmed up here...21F....so we went for a ride, ran some
errands, came home along a lake near home in time to see three bald
eagles out on the ice looking for lunch. One adult and two
juveniles. This is north-central Indiana. It's snowing again,
adding to about 17" from two previous storms.

No snow here , just a layer of ice over everything . Roads are *extremely*
slippery - my wife who is a very good slick road driver spun out last night
on her way home from work , ended up with her SUV on it's side in the ditch
.. Whole right side is damaged , and right now it's sitting along side the
road in a yard right where she went off waiting for any fliuds to drain back
down where they belong . Wouldn't do to bend a rod of something due to
hydraulic lock in a cylinder .
--
Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/9/2014 4:03 PM, Snag wrote:
No snow here , just a layer of ice over everything . Roads are *extremely*
slippery - my wife who is a very good slick road driver spun out last night
on her way home from work , ended up with her SUV on it's side in the ditch
.. Whole right side is damaged , and right now it's sitting along side the
road in a yard right where she went off waiting for any fliuds to drain back
down where they belong . Wouldn't do to bend a rod of something due to
hydraulic lock in a cylinder .

Very sad to hear that. I hope no one was injured?

NYS has ice, now and again. It's no fun.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/9/2014 4:03 PM, Snag wrote:
No snow here , just a layer of ice over everything . Roads are
*extremely*
slippery - my wife who is a very good slick road driver spun out last
night
on her way home from work , ended up with her SUV on it's side in the
ditch
.. Whole right side is damaged , and right now it's sitting along side
the
road in a yard right where she went off waiting for any fliuds to
drain back
down where they belong . Wouldn't do to bend a rod of something due to
hydraulic lock in a cylinder .

Very sad to hear that. I hope no one was injured?

NYS has ice, now and again. It's no fun.

Hi,
Good, she is not hurt, I sure hope.
Even we Canucks fear the black ice most. All my family vehicles have
good set of winter tires and AWD power train. Wife's can lock
into real 4WD. So far no problems. Today 2 deg. Celsius, tomorrow
will be around 7 deg. C. Melting like crazy. Chinook condition.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stayin' Warm (and drivin' safe)

On 1/9/2014 4:52 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
Good, she is not hurt, I sure hope.
Even we Canucks fear the black ice most. All my family vehicles have
good set of winter tires and AWD power train. Wife's can lock
into real 4WD. So far no problems. Today 2 deg. Celsius, tomorrow
will be around 7 deg. C. Melting like crazy. Chinook condition.

For sure, that black ice (clear ice for
netpicks) is really dangerous. Can catch
folks by surprise, and make for trouble.

The guy across the street just got home.
Took a crew along the Thruway, today, and
saw three big rigs off the road. Even
professional drivers have wrecks.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/9/2014 4:03 PM, Snag wrote:
No snow here , just a layer of ice over everything . Roads are
*extremely* slippery - my wife who is a very good slick road driver
spun out last night on her way home from work , ended up with her
SUV on it's side in the ditch .. Whole right side is damaged , and
right now it's sitting along side the road in a yard right where she
went off waiting for any fliuds to drain back down where they belong
. Wouldn't do to bend a rod of something due to hydraulic lock in a
cylinder .

Very sad to hear that. I hope no one was injured?

NYS has ice, now and again. It's no fun.

She's OK , one bruise from the seat belt and a couple of bruises from
where she slipped and fell down . It was so slick last night and this
morning that if there was the slightest slope you slid downhill . This one
was so bad because it was freezing rain falling on frozen ground . It makes
me wonder , how can it be raining when the air temp is like 29* ? Why isn't
it SNOW by the time it hits ?
--

Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/9/2014 4:03 PM, Snag wrote:
[...]

Her car is a Mazda Tribute , same thing as a Ford Escape . And she had it
locked in 4WD when this happened . Thing is that AWD/4WD may help the GO ,
but it don't do squat for the SLOW . The only thing that would've helped in
this situation is chains or studded tires . I may have to invest in another
set of rims , with studded snow tires for winter use .
--
Snag

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

Snag wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/9/2014 4:03 PM, Snag wrote:
[...]

I believe because water drops coming down thru the cold air is too big
to freeze or become snow. Here they banned studded tires due to road
surface damage it causes. Good winter tires like Blizzak is really good
but it wears like crazy. Barely it lasts two seasons. We usually depend
on Michellin X Ice from Costco. Mine is due for new set next year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/7/2014 11:34 AM, Snag wrote:

[...]

Why do you say "them"? Didn't you once say:

"We've had one. That was enough to cure me of that particular laziness."

Liar?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 09 Jan 2014 16:08:36 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Snag wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/9/2014 4:03 PM, Snag wrote:
[...]

I get about 5 seasons out of my Goodyear Graspics I find their ice
traction lasts longer than Blizzaks - might be a WEE bit poorer the
first year, but better the second, and definitely the third and
forth.. Had the Blizzaks on daughters colt, Graspics on her neon,
Wife's Mistique, my TransSport, my PT Cruizer, and now my Ranger. Just
a set of Tiger Paw Touring All Seasons on my wife's Taurus - but if it
snows badly she doesn't need to go anywhere - she's retired now.
If we HAVE to go somewhere we take the truck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 09 Jan 2014 17:10:25 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 1/9/2014 4:52 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
Good, she is not hurt, I sure hope.
Even we Canucks fear the black ice most. All my family vehicles have
good set of winter tires and AWD power train. Wife's can lock
into real 4WD. So far no problems. Today 2 deg. Celsius, tomorrow
will be around 7 deg. C. Melting like crazy. Chinook condition.

For sure, that black ice (clear ice for
netpicks) is really dangerous. Can catch
folks by surprise, and make for trouble.

The guy across the street just got home.
Took a crew along the Thruway, today, and
saw three big rigs off the road. Even
professional drivers have wrecks.

I remember back in abot '71 when they outlawed studs here in
Ontario. I had studs on the Valiant - could go anywhere. Then I got
the '69 Dart - and non-studded snows. Driving down Sawmill Road
between Conestogo and Bloomingdale, down along the river, and I
thought I must have a flat tire - the car was going all squirrelly. I
was driving slowly - not in any hurry (for once) to get anywhere. I
got out of the car to check the tires and promptly ended up flat on my
ass on the road. It was so slippery I could not stand up. I got back
into the car, managed to get rolling, and headed for higher ground
where the mist coming off the river didn't freeze on the road.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 Jan 2014 23:47:10 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/7/2014 11:34 AM, Snag wrote:

[...]

It's a well known problem. They (after market) will void warranties.

Liar?

Stupid? Illiterate? Sure, of course you are.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/7/2014 11:34 AM, Snag wrote:

[...]

First - WTF? Where did I say anything about warranties? I quoted a line
form one of your posts regarding the "one" remote starter you had and then
asked why you said "I've burned by _them_ killing the battery." It was a
single vs. multiple question. Did you bring up warranties to avoid
answering the specific question I asked?

Liar?

Stupid? Illiterate? Sure, of course you are.

Mirror mirror on the wall...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/9/2014 5:22 PM, Snag wrote:
She's OK , one bruise from the seat belt and a couple of bruises from
where she slipped and fell down . It was so slick last night and this
morning that if there was the slightest slope you slid downhill . This one
was so bad because it was freezing rain falling on frozen ground . It makes
me wonder , how can it be raining when the air temp is like 29* ? Why isn't
it SNOW by the time it hits ?

I've wondered why NYS gets 35F and snowing. Guess
some things will never really be explained to me.

Anyhow, I suspect the groundhog will determine that
we have another six weeks of winter.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Snag" wrote:
This one
was so bad because it was freezing rain falling on frozen ground . It makes
me wonder , how can it be raining when the air temp is like 29* ? Why isn't
it SNOW by the time it hits ?

Actually, freezing rain can't "fall" on anything.

In a nutshell...

All precipitation basically starts out as snow crystals inside of a cloud.
What happens after the crystals leave the cloud determines what we get at
ground level.

Snow:

If the crystals pass through air that stays below freezing from the cloud
to the ground, it remains as snow all the way to the ground and we have to
shovel it.

Rain:

If the crystals pass through air that is warm enough to melt it and that
warm layer extends all the way to the ground, it remains as rain and we get
wet.

Freezing Rain:

If the crystals pass through air that is warm enough to melt it, but there
is a very shallow layer of air that is below freezing close to ground
level, the rain freezes when it lands on the sub-freezing surface of trees,
cars, roads, etc. and we slide off the road, lose power due to downed
wires, etc.

Sleet:

If the crystals pass through air that is warm enough to melt it and then
pass through air that is cold enough and "deep" enough to refreeze it, we
get hit by little ice pellets that sting our faces.

Hail:

If the crystals pass through air that is warm enough to melt it and an
updraft sends the water droplets back up into the cloud, the water freezes
on the ice crystals in the cloud, forming an ice pellet. If this "come
down, get wet, go back up and freeze" cycle happens again, the ice pellet
gets a little bigger. If it happens multiple times, and the pellets get
very big, we end up with dented cars, broken windows and headaches.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/9/2014 5:22 PM, Snag wrote:
She's OK , one bruise from the seat belt and a couple of bruises from
where she slipped and fell down . It was so slick last night and this
morning that if there was the slightest slope you slid downhill . This one
was so bad because it was freezing rain falling on frozen ground . It makes
me wonder , how can it be raining when the air temp is like 29* ? Why isn't
it SNOW by the time it hits ?

I've wondered why NYS gets 35F and snowing. Guess
some things will never really be explained to me.

All precipitation begins as snow crystals in a cloud. In order for snow to
remain as snow all the way to the ground, it must never pass through a
layer of above-freezing air that is deep enough to melt it. That "deep
enough" criteria explains why we get snow when it's 35*.

If the layer of 35* air is very close to the ground then it will not be
deep enough to melt the snow before it hits the ground. The term "very
close" is relative. The colder the upper layers of air are, the "deeper"
the layer of warm air near the ground must be before the snow will turn to
rain.

O/T: Warm Enough Lew Hodgett[_6_] Woodworking 343 July 17th 12 10:32 PM
Warm at last Mike Stanford Woodworking 4 October 27th 11 01:06 PM
a warm gift 001 Metalworking 0 October 15th 07 08:01 PM
trying to get warm bizee Home Repair 7 November 19th 06 05:00 PM
Cold? Warm? Hot? All of them! Javier Home Ownership 1 April 11th 06 04:40 PM