Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stayin' Warm (and drivin' safe)

On Thu, 09 Jan 2014 17:10:25 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 1/9/2014 4:52 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
Good, she is not hurt, I sure hope.
Even we Canucks fear the black ice most. All my family vehicles have
good set of winter tires and AWD power train. Wife's can lock
into real 4WD. So far no problems. Today 2 deg. Celsius, tomorrow
will be around 7 deg. C. Melting like crazy. Chinook condition.

For sure, that black ice (clear ice for
netpicks) is really dangerous. Can catch
folks by surprise, and make for trouble.

The guy across the street just got home.
Took a crew along the Thruway, today, and
saw three big rigs off the road. Even
professional drivers have wrecks.

I remember back in abot '71 when they outlawed studs here in
Ontario. I had studs on the Valiant - could go anywhere. Then I got
the '69 Dart - and non-studded snows. Driving down Sawmill Road
between Conestogo and Bloomingdale, down along the river, and I
thought I must have a flat tire - the car was going all squirrelly. I
was driving slowly - not in any hurry (for once) to get anywhere. I
got out of the car to check the tires and promptly ended up flat on my
ass on the road. It was so slippery I could not stand up. I got back
into the car, managed to get rolling, and headed for higher ground
where the mist coming off the river didn't freeze on the road.