Posted to alt.home.repair

Default trying to get warm

I have a new house, this is my first winter.

The kitchen and family room are a great room concept with vaulted
ceilings.
There is a ceiling fan, on the edge of the family room part.
There is a gas fireplace with fan
There are two air ducts close to the outer wall.

I could live with the fireplace going with the fan, BUT, the deflector
for it is at the top of the fireplace unit, and it deflects the air
down. I'm thinking if it came straight out, I'd get better heat
towards me in the chair.? Is there such an item I can get?

Going to get some deflectors tomorrow for the two ceiling vents. The
vents push it lengthwise along the outer wall, not towards where I'm
sitting or toward the kitchen.

The house can get quite toasty in the bedrooms. Already closed the
vents the bathrooms and unused dining room. Its gas forced air. I
came from a smaller house with no vault, using heatpump.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bizee" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Can you aim any of these things toward the floor? That seems to work best in
my house. Heat rises, so it'll reach your body. And, your feet are one of
your most sensitive receptors for temperature. Get the floor warm, and your
mind takes care of the rest.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bizee wrote:

[...]

Be careful closing any vents in bathrooms, there are plenty of water
lines in there and some could be in exterior walls where they could
freeze if they aren't getting enough heat coming through the wall from
the room. The difference between 65 and 70 in the bathroom could make
the difference between 30 and 35 in the wall cavity.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The kitchen and family room are a great room concept with vaulted
ceilings.
There is a ceiling fan, on the edge of the family room part.
There is a gas fireplace with fan
There are two air ducts close to the outer wall.

I could live with the fireplace going with the fan, BUT, the deflector
for it is at the top of the fireplace unit, and it deflects the air
down. I'm thinking if it came straight out, I'd get better heat
towards me in the chair.? Is there such an item I can get?

Most fireplaces are actually a heat loss rather than a heat gain. Few
designs function well as a heater. For one thing, the combustion air
required for the fire has to come from somehwere, usually cold air from
outside has to come in somehow. Also, the flue is often uninsulated
causing a cold spot when the fireplace is not in use. All that
seperates you from the outside is the flue and the damper inside the
flue. So if there is no fire you have to wait until the fire is out
completely to close the damper. So it is easy to forget and leave the
damper open causing a huge heat loss. So, most fireplaces are there
just to please you and are not necessarily intended as a heat source.
If you are lucky enough to have a fireplace that is a good heat source
you still are under obligation to keep it stoked almost all the time.
If you don't then you have to close the damper as promptly as possible.

Going to get some deflectors tomorrow for the two ceiling vents. The
vents push it lengthwise along the outer wall, not towards where I'm
sitting or toward the kitchen.

If your concern is for your own comfort you could try some warm
slippers and a sweater. A space heater might work well for the area
where you hang out. When sitting you can use a foot warmer. It plugs
into the wall and can be googled.

The house can get quite toasty in the bedrooms. Already closed the
vents the bathrooms and unused dining room. Its gas forced air. I
came from a smaller house with no vault, using heatpump.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bizee wrote:
[...]

I am sure you already know this but I will point it out anyhow.
You have two major design flaws.

1. Vaulted ceilings. It will always be 'toasty warm' up there. Heat
rises There is very little you can do about that. Fans, etc will help
but at the cost of causing drafts which are a detriment.
2. Trying to supplement heat with a firplace. Get an insert and you
can at least help the situation. A fireplace is only good for 'mood'
and getting rid of fuel.

Am I against vaulted ceilings? Definitely if you are interested in
reasonable heating coasts in a cold climate.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry,
I hear what you are saying Harry. I tried suplimenting heat with my
wood burning fireplace two years ago and I actually made my heating
bill go up. I read about the futility of heating with a fireplace and i
decided to plug my fireplace with a chimney balloon and just dress it
up with a candelabra for looks.
Then I upgraded the furnace to a power vent and that was when i really
experienced savings. Now I spend about 35% less in therms for gas on
the coldest months.
The fireplace is a nice decorative piece, but that is it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 18 Nov 2006 19:27:44 -0800, "bizee" wrote:

[...]

Run your ceiling fan such that it blows toward the ceiling. Carefully
check for any gaps around your fireplace where you can easily get
drafts. Caulking/weather stripping around doors and windows helps a
lot and this is often neglected. There are settees that have large
curved backs that direct the heat (and hold it) to the occupants.
These were popular in the pioneer days when the fireplace provided all
the house heat.