Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default trying to get warm

bizee wrote:

I have a new house, this is my first winter.

The kitchen and family room are a great room concept with vaulted
ceilings.
There is a ceiling fan, on the edge of the family room part.
There is a gas fireplace with fan
There are two air ducts close to the outer wall.

I could live with the fireplace going with the fan, BUT, the deflector
for it is at the top of the fireplace unit, and it deflects the air
down. I'm thinking if it came straight out, I'd get better heat
towards me in the chair.? Is there such an item I can get?

Going to get some deflectors tomorrow for the two ceiling vents. The
vents push it lengthwise along the outer wall, not towards where I'm
sitting or toward the kitchen.

The house can get quite toasty in the bedrooms. Already closed the
vents the bathrooms and unused dining room. Its gas forced air. I
came from a smaller house with no vault, using heatpump.

Be careful closing any vents in bathrooms, there are plenty of water
lines in there and some could be in exterior walls where they could
freeze if they aren't getting enough heat coming through the wall from
the room. The difference between 65 and 70 in the bathroom could make
the difference between 30 and 35 in the wall cavity.

Pete C.