Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default trying to get warm

The kitchen and family room are a great room concept with vaulted
ceilings.
There is a ceiling fan, on the edge of the family room part.
There is a gas fireplace with fan
There are two air ducts close to the outer wall.

I could live with the fireplace going with the fan, BUT, the deflector
for it is at the top of the fireplace unit, and it deflects the air
down. I'm thinking if it came straight out, I'd get better heat
towards me in the chair.? Is there such an item I can get?

Most fireplaces are actually a heat loss rather than a heat gain. Few
designs function well as a heater. For one thing, the combustion air
required for the fire has to come from somehwere, usually cold air from
outside has to come in somehow. Also, the flue is often uninsulated
causing a cold spot when the fireplace is not in use. All that
seperates you from the outside is the flue and the damper inside the
flue. So if there is no fire you have to wait until the fire is out
completely to close the damper. So it is easy to forget and leave the
damper open causing a huge heat loss. So, most fireplaces are there
just to please you and are not necessarily intended as a heat source.
If you are lucky enough to have a fireplace that is a good heat source
you still are under obligation to keep it stoked almost all the time.
If you don't then you have to close the damper as promptly as possible.

Going to get some deflectors tomorrow for the two ceiling vents. The
vents push it lengthwise along the outer wall, not towards where I'm
sitting or toward the kitchen.

If your concern is for your own comfort you could try some warm
slippers and a sweater. A space heater might work well for the area
where you hang out. When sitting you can use a foot warmer. It plugs
into the wall and can be googled.

The house can get quite toasty in the bedrooms. Already closed the
vents the bathrooms and unused dining room. Its gas forced air. I
came from a smaller house with no vault, using heatpump.