Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stayin' Warm

On Thu, 09 Jan 2014 16:08:36 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Snag wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/9/2014 4:03 PM, Snag wrote:
No snow here , just a layer of ice over everything . Roads are
*extremely* slippery - my wife who is a very good slick road driver
spun out last night on her way home from work , ended up with her
SUV on it's side in the ditch .. Whole right side is damaged , and
right now it's sitting along side the road in a yard right where she
went off waiting for any fliuds to drain back down where they belong
. Wouldn't do to bend a rod of something due to hydraulic lock in a
cylinder .

Very sad to hear that. I hope no one was injured?

NYS has ice, now and again. It's no fun.

She's OK , one bruise from the seat belt and a couple of bruises from
where she slipped and fell down . It was so slick last night and this
morning that if there was the slightest slope you slid downhill . This one
was so bad because it was freezing rain falling on frozen ground . It makes
me wonder , how can it be raining when the air temp is like 29* ? Why isn't
it SNOW by the time it hits ?

Hi,
I believe because water drops coming down thru the cold air is too big
to freeze or become snow. Here they banned studded tires due to road
surface damage it causes. Good winter tires like Blizzak is really good
but it wears like crazy. Barely it lasts two seasons. We usually depend
on Michellin X Ice from Costco. Mine is due for new set next year.

I get about 5 seasons out of my Goodyear Graspics I find their ice
traction lasts longer than Blizzaks - might be a WEE bit poorer the
first year, but better the second, and definitely the third and
forth.. Had the Blizzaks on daughters colt, Graspics on her neon,
Wife's Mistique, my TransSport, my PT Cruizer, and now my Ranger. Just
a set of Tiger Paw Touring All Seasons on my wife's Taurus - but if it
snows badly she doesn't need to go anywhere - she's retired now.
If we HAVE to go somewhere we take the truck.