Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New gas furnace/AC recommendations?

I've decided to take my own advice and look in to getting a new
natural gas furnace and AC unit installed before the $1500 tax credit
runs out at the end of the year. Not much time left, I know. To get
the credit, it has to be at least 13 EER, and 16 SEER. My old
system is a 26 year old RUUD and I figure between the tax credit and
higher efficiency saving energy costs, it's time to do it.

Anyone have any recommendations as to brands/models that they have had
good results with or those to avoid? Any particular features? I'm
thinking it's going to be worth it to get a high enough efficiency
system to meet the $1500 tax credit, but probably don't need anything
more than that. Any features you've found useful on newer systems and
would recommend? Things like variable speed blowers, dual stage,
etc? But honestly, the current one is fine in terms of comfort,
can't complain about drafts, etc. The house is 3200 sq ft, current
furnace is 150K BTU input, 4.5 ton AC. Location is coastal NJ, with
high gas and electricity rates.

I know what one guy here will say, ie just keep running the old
one.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/3/2010 2:46 PM, wrote:

Anyone have any recommendations as to brands/models that they have had
good results with or those to avoid? Any particular features? I'm
thinking it's going to be worth it to get a high enough efficiency
system to meet the $1500 tax credit, but probably don't need anything
more than that. Any features you've found useful on newer systems and
would recommend? Things like variable speed blowers, dual stage,
etc? But honestly, the current one is fine in terms of comfort,
can't complain about drafts, etc. The house is 3200 sq ft, current
furnace is 150K BTU input, 4.5 ton AC. Location is coastal NJ, with
high gas and electricity rates.

I know what one guy here will say, ie just keep running the old
one.....

We replaced our very old Columbia gas fired, forced hot-air furnace and
our old Ruud A/C unit 4-7 years ago - both with Carrier units. I won't
bother you with the model name/number because just as with cars, the
model names and numbers change almost yearly. We have not required a
single service call for either since installation and have been totally
pleased.

We chose a furnace model that is 92% efficient and saw our natural gas
consumption drop about 1/3 with no additional insulation added to the
house and no change in our thermostat settings. The HVAC guy estimated
that our old furnace was probably only about 60% efficient. The
difference in price at that time between 92% and 96% efficient was huge
(about 25% more) and we figured that we were unlikely to remain in our
house long enough to make back in gas expenses what we would pay for the
additional 4% in furnace efficiency if we popped for the 96% unit.

We had been having a problem with chronic refrigerant leaks in the old
A/C unit despite spending oodles to try to find the leak (never did).
The system needed at least a top-off and sometimes more than that every
season. Therefore, when we replaced the A/C, we not only replaced the
coil in the furnace and the compressor outside, but we replaced all the
pipes connecting them. We're glad that we did. No more leaks and our
A/C electric usage dropped by about 50% during the hottest summer
months. (We're in the D.C. metro area.)

The bottom line as someone else wrote is to find and use a well
qualified and honest HVAC contractor. For each job, we got 3 different
bids from contractors that were highly recommended in the D.C. area
edition of Checkbook magazine. For both jobs we ended up going with the
same contractor. Both times his bid was in the middle - about 10%
higher than the lowest bid and about 30% cheaper than the most expensive
one. We'd use him again in a heartbeat. Good luck in your area!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Peter wrote:

The bottom line as someone else wrote is to find and use a well
qualified and honest HVAC contractor.

Can someone explain why you need a contractor to install a furnace?

If you're a real red-blooded, meat-eating man who knows how to swing a
hammer, turn a wrench and wire a branch circuit, then you most certainly
can connect a few wires and bend some sheet metal and get a furnace
installed, and most of the A/C as well (assuming you need a new A/C
unit).

If I could wind back the clock and play a role in installing my furnace
and AC, I'd install a bypass duct so that my furnace fan doesn't have to
blow air through the AC coils in the winter.

If I *had* to buy a new furnace - then I'd buy a new furnace, gut the
**** out of it (rip out the electronics, ECM motor and ignitor) and
install conventional AC motor and standing pilot light, then I'd install
the thing myself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Anyone have any recommendations...

Bryant - 96.6% AFUE...
(Consumer Digest Best Buy)
http://www.bryant.com/products/furna...lution96.shtml

Posted to alt.home.repair

There is a limit how creative furnace makers can get. The same basic
operating principles are used in all brands.

My experience has been to avoid Sears, and Trane. They use off
standard parts, and it's hard to get parts for them. Except to go to
Sears or Trane.

Goodman is the "discount" brand at my parts house. They have fairly
standard parts, and are inexpensive to repair. I've heaed that Goodman
is reasonable quality. The money you save on equipment costs is
signifigant.

Many folks have written that the installation is the important part.
Ask your friends and coworkers who they use. Call the company, and
have them come out for estimate. Avoid companies that manipulate,
pressure, or try to rush you into a quick decision.

Since the new system will be more energy efficient, the company may
reccomend a smaller system. It is very possible that the last company
over sized the equipment. So, the new sytem may very possibly be less
BTU and fewer tons. Many times, a smaller system will provide a lot
better comfort. The old AC may have a name plate of 4.5 tons, but
might actually be delivering 3 tons of cooling. So, a smaller system
may be needed.

Features. I'd ask for a whole house humidifier. My old boss installed
Aprilaire. Pipe the water from the hot side of the water heater, about
six or ten inches from the top of the WH. Put the outdoor AC unit on
the shade side of the house. Make sure the access doors face open
space, so the future techs can get at the parts. The optional BIG air
filter like a Spacegard is a good idea. They will probably replace the
thermostat, and might run new stat wires. A furnace and AC install
takes at least a full day for two guys working together. Might run
into two days. You may need electric space heater for while the guys
are working.

Having been a HVAC installer..... Please be sure to tell the guys to
use the bathroom as needed. And put out some VERY light food for them.
Cheese and crackers and soda pop or coffee. They will really totally
appreciate being fed. Smile a lot. Ask an occasional question. Be
generous with your praise (try not to sound like a total suck up; it's
a balancing act.) Lay down some old carpet between the door and the
furnace, so they can wear boots in and out, and not worry about your
clean floor. broken down cardboard boxes are OK, also. Or carpet
runners.

It's a good idea to have one or two adults home, just as a courtesy.
To answer questions, and such. They will appreciate that you are not
going to leave the house open and then accuse them of stealing the
family jewels. It's a balancing act to be there, but not be in the
way. Park your car on the street, and tell them they are expected to
park in the driveway. They will want to get the truck as close to your
cellar door as they can.

You can expect to see a pile of old equipment, and they should haul it
away as the job completes. As they rework the gas pipe, you may smell
the natural gas smell. It's OK to remind them "I smell natural gas..."
and they will reassure you that they are working on the pipes. The new
furnace has some protectant on the heat exchanger. When they light the
furnace, it will stink for an hour or so, as the heat exchanger burns
off the protectant. You may need to open the windows. This is a one
time event -- and should only stink for a short while.

AC systems behave totally diffferently in the cold weather. They
SHOULD come back when the weather warms up, and recheck the AC. Being
cold out, it's not possible to totally be sure the AC is working
correctly. The courtesy check in the spring should be included in the
install price. Please do not run the AC until after the courtesy
check. They may leave the disconnect "OFF" outdoors. Leave it off,
please.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 2:13*am, mm wrote:
On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 20:14:01 +0000,

(brians) wrote:
responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...e-AC-recommend...
brians wrote:

wrote:

I've decided to take my own advice and look in to getting a new
natural gas furnace and AC unit installed before the $1500 tax credit
runs out at the end of the year. *Not much time left, I know. * To get
the credit, it has to be at least 13 EER, and 16 SEER. * *My old
system is a 26 year old RUUD and I figure between the tax credit and
higher efficiency saving energy costs, it's time to do it.

Anyone have any recommendations as to brands/models that they have had
good results with or those to avoid? *Any particular features? * I'm
thinking it's going to be worth it to get a high enough efficiency
system to meet the $1500 tax credit, but probably don't need anything
more than that. *Any features you've found useful on newer systems and
would recommend? *

I had four guys out last month to look at my house, for a new oil
furnace and AC. *It would have only been three, but the first company
struck me as incompetent, and indeed, I don't think they ever got back
to me with even a price! *I called them because they did my new next
door neighbor's AC (her new home insurance paid for it, on a 31-year
old house! Amazing, I think.) and she was satisfied, and they are only
4 blocks away *

It might have only been two estimates, but they waylaid me in Home
Depot and were so eager to send someone, who am I to say no.

My concentration is not what it used to be, and I've never been good
at shopping for complicated things****, and before this started, I
assumed that every company would either include a furnace humidifier
in the price (and force people who didn't want one to notice and get
them to take it off), or would try to sell me a humidifier. *In fact,
none of them even mentioned it! *But I remembered to ask the last guy
and he pooh poohed the idea. *Said I didn't need one. *Baloney. *I had
one for 20 plus years, and it makes the house feel just as warm even
when the temp is lower. *Yes, it takes some heat to evaporate (is that
the same as vaporize?) the water, but it's a substantial net savings,
I'm sure. I think the temp can be 2 to 4 degrees cooler when the
humidity is "normal", neither high nor low, as opposed to the dryness
of a northern winter indoors with a furnace and no source of humidity.

****Except cars.

I've never had condensation problems, on windows or anywhere, probably
because I don't set the humidifier to maximum, even the cheap little
one I have had.

Plus it's good for the furniture not to be in air so dry the furniture
cracks. *Especially pianos and expensive furniture. * And maybe
violins and woodwinds. * Of course if you haven't had one up till now,
maybe all the cracking it can do has been done already. *I don't know,
you'll have to ask a furniture guy about that. * But you may get new,
expensive furniture and a humidifier is good. (When my brother was in
Viet Nam during the war, he bought a wooden carving of someone, about
9 inches tall by 2" wide, and it got cracks the entire length of the
carving, 3/16" wide!)

Anyhow, he wanted 800 dollars for the humidifier. *When I squinted, he
said his wholesale cost was 600. *The most expensive one at Home Depot
is less than 200, and I don't believe it's much worse. *In addition,
he didn't have a flyer for the furnace! but he did for the humidifier,
and it was a bypass humidifier, which requires a round (flexible?)
duct from the return to the humidifier, which is in the furnace
outgoing duct. * Because of how my furnace and every replacement I've
looked at my neighbors' houses is set up, it's too thick to fit
between the duct and the flue. * But I know what would happen if I
signed the contract. *They'd include it, and half way through
installation they 'd come to me and say it won't fit so they're going
to skip it.

Online however they have a Honeywell (non-bypass) Humidifier for under
200 that gets good ratings. *I might buy that first and have them put
it in. *Amazon sells it, among other places, and says "People who have
e bought this also bought this humidistat." * One annoyed guy
commented that he had taken their word for this and bought a
humidistat, only to find that one is included with the humidifier.
Not surprisingly. *I can get you the model number if you want, but so
far it was the only name brand, the only non-bypass humidifier I've
found.

A agree with you on the value of a good humidifier. As long as you
set it correctly,
it keeps the house far more comfortable, avoids those static shocks,
etc, without
water condensing and doing damage. I currently have an Aprilaire 700,
which is only
a year old and I plan on having them move it to the new furnace. Over
the years
I've seen so many positive comments on Aprilaire and I agree with
them. It's the
best one I've seen. The 700 is a non-bypass model and it includes an
outdoor
temp sensor so that it autmatically reduces the humidity level as the
outdoor temp
drops.

Another strange thing is that onely one of them tried to sell me
anything that would qualify for the tax credit. *Maybe that's because
they didn't think I could afford it, but that's silly because with the
credit, it would usually cost no more than what they were trying to
sell me! *In fact, you may want to plug in your own numbers, but my
impression about the AC was that the cheapest qualifying AC is more
expensive than the next less efficient one by the same amount as the
credit. *That is, you get the upgrade to the better model for free,
but you don't really save money other than that, on the purchase. This
should be fairly easy to calculate with assurance. You get a refund of
so much percent, so many dollars, and you can find out the increase in
price from the model one step less efficient. *(Or you can just buy
one. *I wish I were capable of just buying one.)

And thn you save some money every year after that. *Although even the
13 SEER (or whatever) is probably a good deal more efficient than what
you have, and the one that qualifies for the credit is only a little
more efficient than the one right below it that doesn't qualify.

It's amazing that they didn't mention or directly show you the tax
benefits.
The first company I have coming prominently features that in their
newspaper
ads. And I was thinking the same thing that you say above. That
the tax
credit is likely enough to about pay for the difference in price
between a somewhat
less efficient system that I might have bought vs one that meets the
reqts for
the credit. I think here there may also be a $1000 utility credit.
Combined that
could cut $2500 off the price, which is substantial.

(I need an oil furnace, so, while I ended up learning about gas too,
others can probably answer better.)

Very few oil burners are 90% efficient, and I guess they are
expensive. *One of the oldest places in town, in the same family for
80 or 90 years, 3rd generation, told me almost no one buys those, so
the only part of the oil furnace that qualifies is a multi-speed fan.

Now unlike 30 years ago when the fan was one speed any time it's
running, now every fan has 2 speeds, one for AC and one for heat, but
multi-speed fans, ECM's, Electronically Controlled Motors (Fans), have
multiple speeds for different parts of the heating cycle and the
cooling cycle. * In an oil furnace, 19 to 24 percent of the furnace
cost can be attributed to the fan -- the furnace company will tell you
the number -- and then one can get the credit on that part of the
furnace. * But again, no one tried to sell me the mulit-speed fan, and
the guy with the 90 years and great reputation told me he didn't sell
oil furnaces with multi-speed fans. *He said that on the phone, and he
wasn't one who came out for an estimate. *I thought no one made them
but they do.

I still haven't found out how the multi-speed fan works, when it's low
speed, when it's mid-speed, and when it's high, and why it saves
money. *It's seems clear that the fan uses a lot of current,
especially on high speed, but how it uses less when it's multi-speed,
and still gets the job done, I don't know. *Frankly, my single speed
fan gets the job done, and only runs when the heat is on (or the AC)
which isn't that long in suburban Baltimore, and I like the feeling of
the blowing warm air. * There's a duct right next to me when I sit at
the computer. *I still don't have any idea what benefit I woudl get
from a multi-speed fan. * Also, if the circulating air doesn't
circulate through the furnace fast enough, currently that would be a
problem. I don't know what could be different about modern furnaces,
oil or gas, that would make that different.

I think one way it saves energy by using a lower speed when it can is
that with any fluid the energy it takes to move it increases
logarithmatically
with the speed. For example, with pool pumps, they now have multi-
speed
that circulate the water slowly for a much longer time. Even though
it runs
longer, it still moves the same amount of water with like 50% less
energy.

Also, I think the most efficient motors are now DC, which generally
are
completely variable in speed. But that's probably an example of what
would skip, because while it can save some more energy, it does add
complexity and if that motor, controller, etc fail, from what I've
heard, it's
a lot more costly than a two speed motor.

BTW, I've bbeen reading instructinos for installing AC, and they say
to flush and/or clean the pipes connecting the inside to the outside.
After 31 years, it seems worth it, and simpler, to replace them. *IN
my case they are only about 6 feet long.

Good info. That's one thing I might not have thought to even ask. I
would
have assumed that considering mine are 26 years old, they would just
automatically replace them. Seems that would make sense for not only
the company, but also the manufacturer with their warrantly, etc. I
definitely want mine replaced.

Thanks for all the info.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I am simply awestruck. There are very few REAL MEN in this world of
drive up food, and everyone talking on cell phones, and planning to
"do lunch" on the PDA. You have my respect (not really).

Of course, after you put your new copper AC tubing in with compression
fittings and duct tape, it should run just fine. Service valves to
open? What's that? We don't need no steenkin service valves. Cut em
out with a Sawzall! Freon recovery? Real Men (TM) don't do that kind
of wimpy stuff.

I am humbled by your greatness.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Home Guy"
wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2010 9:01 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

How can that be? My understanding is that the rating is cooling
output, not BTU input like a furnace.

Just curious.

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2010 9:14 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
hammer, turn a wrench and wire a branch circuit, then you most
certainly
can connect a few wires and bend some sheet metal and get a furnace
installed, and most of the A/C as well (assuming you need a new A/C
unit).

I hope you're right, because that's my current plan. I'm out of work
again, except for a little bit on a maintenance project, and I have
more time than money. Plus if I actually have heat and AC when I'm
done, it will be very satisfying. (I'm going to hire someone to
remove the current freon, and come back later and adjust the furnace,
and connect and top off the AC.)

Not recommending that you do this, but licences to buy Freon aren't hard
to come by. Neither is the equipment to recycle and install, from pawn
shops. It is a bit of money so economics run against it. There is
"science" behind loading the correct amount of freon, so make sure you
understand that clearly. Hiring this out is a good plan.

CY: Wishing you luck. Most HVAC guys want to do the whole process.

Find someone who owns a number of houses (or a real estate agent you
trust) and ask who they use. It will be someone used to doing the task
at hand rather than everything, and for a better price. Don't go the big
company route unless you need the reassurance, there are a number of
competent hungry hands out there. Do it at their convenience, don't pay
up front and don't be a pain.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

Can someone explain why you need a contractor to install a
furnace? If you're a real red-blooded, meat-eating man who
knows how to swing a

Hey, that's me!

Yes, and we both still run windows 98. Because I'm that type of "Guy".

Sort of instead of bypass duct, how about about a very wide duct

Yes, that would work as well.

If I *had* to buy a new furnace - then I'd buy a new furnace,
gut the **** out of it (rip out the electronics, ECM motor
and ignitor) and

What's wrong with a) the electronics, b) the ECM motor,
and c) the ignitor^^. Seriously.

Electronics are fine in my den, but not my furnace. Just read these
home / hvac forums for how many people have had to replace various
sensors and main boards and how much those parts can cost. ECM motor is
a complete crock of ****. You save maybe 100 watts compared to running
a 1/4 HP AC motor (which is about 1 penny an hour, or about $100 a year
if the fan is running 24/7/365) but the motor will run you $400 to $800
to replace if it breaks. Besides, the extra 100 watts goes into heat
that you can use in the winter anyways. And the ignitor - ask how many
people have had issues with those.

^^Okay, I know what's wrong with the ignitor, but you must
have some experience if you think you can put in a pilot,
especially on a furnace designed for an ignitor.
More than the average red-blooded meat-eating man.

You'd really only know once you have the unit taken apart. I would
assume that you'd simply place the pilot light in the same spot the
ignitor is located, and the flames will spread to the burners the exact
same way.

Isn't it easier to install the way they sell it?

Sure it's easier, but...

IF those extra parts are unreliable, when they actually break,
you can put in the simple replacements then.

Then it's too late. You need the heat, and you don't have the time to
perform custom mods. The best time to do it is when your old furnace is
still up and running.

I found a "book" online for 10 dollars on how to install a
furnace.

Instructions:

1) shut off your gas valve which should be located 6 feet from your
furnace. Shut off the electrical service to the furnace at your main
breaker panel.

2) disconnect thermostat and AC power from the furnace cabinet.
disconnect the gas line from the furnace.

3) disconnect the return air and plenum ductwork from the furnace
cabinet. Leave AC coils in place in their duct. Support with wires
from above if necessary.

4) move old furnace out of the way, move new furnace into place.

5) modify ductwork as needed.

6) connect ac power and thermostat wires to new furnace.

7) connect natural gas line to furnace. modify pipe lengths and bends
as necessary. use pipe sealant as directed.

8) turn on gas valve to furnace. check for leaks (use soapy water if
you want).

9) turn on AC power to furnace at main breaker panel.

10) program your thermostat as desired.

The book I got said the hardest part is getting someone to sell
you the furnace!

I also suspect that would be the situation. The *******s...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 10:52*am, Home Guy wrote:
mm wrote:
Can someone explain why you need a contractor to install a
furnace? If you're a real red-blooded, meat-eating man who
knows how to swing a

Hey, that's me!

Yes, and we both still run windows 98. *Because I'm that type of "Guy".

That sure puts a perspective on things. Windows 98 was notoriously
crash prone,
difficult to protect from a security standpoint and everyone I know
was happy to see
it replaced by newer OS's that were far superior. There is no
comparison to current
OS products. What exactly do you have against the new OS's?

Then we have the fact that with just about any new PC you buy today,
you wind up
getting the latest OS included as part of the price. HP is selling a
midrange computer
with an AMD Phenom II quad core, 4GB of RAM, 650MB of disk, CD ROM
drive, Win 7
Microsoft Office and Norton Internet Security for $425 with free
shipping, So, either you're re-installing
Win98 on new computers, which seems rather improbable given the lack
of Win98 drivers for
current hardware, or you're still using a 15 to 20 year old PC. Still
on dialup too?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Can someone explain why you need a contractor to install a
furnace?

I do a lot of my own projects, but installing a furnace/AC is not
one I'd tackle.

I was speaking more about the furnace, not the AC. The furnace is just
a glorified barbeque unit. If you were replacing the AC as well, then I
guess it depends on what parts of the old system you were keeping -
naturally the outdoor unit would be replaced, but the evaporator coils
near the furnace could stay.

As I haven't had the need to shop for a furnace, I don't know how many
of them come with integrated evaporator coils (or perhaps none of them).

Because I have lots of space around my furnace, I'd probably get
creative and build a separate air-handling system for the furnace and
evap coils - there's no reason why both air systems need to go through
the furnace. I could have a separate motor and filter for summer use,
and with some sheet-metal ducting and gating I can easily change the
system over to winter heating and completely bypass the evap coils.

Another thing I'd do for the summer system is to have the ability to
draw return air directly from the outside through a dedicated duct and
gate off (close off) the return air from the house-hold interior return
air duct. This allows me to pull cool air directly from outside and
force-flood the house with cool air - on those warm or hot days where
the house has warmed up by evening and your only normal option is to run
the AC to cool the house. So I pull cool return air from outside, open
some windows and the fan will force the warm air out the windows.

None of this is normally done, because home-owners can't imagine or
don't know about this, and HVAC contractors would charge a fortune to do
it for someone else, but I bet some of them do it for their own homes.
Just like some of them put their AC condensor coils in their swimming
pool to heat their pool while efficiently removing heat from the coils.

IMO, there are just two many issues. Examples would be
correctly sizing the new furnace.

New furnaces with variable gas valves gives them the ability to dial up
or down the heat output.

I do this right now with my 34 year-old furnace. I dial down the gas
going to the burners so that maybe they're getting 1/3 of the full gas
supply. If I turn it down too far, the fan cycles on and off while the
burners are on. By turning down the gas, I'm modulating the heat output
of the furnace much like a super-expensive modern furnace does. So my
furnace runs more constantly (like a modern furnace does) and my
heat-extraction efficiency goes up (because the temperature of my
combustion exhaust is lower).

Most people don't know that they can dial-down the gas supply of their
old furnace - just like you can with your barbeque or your gas stove.
There's no reason why you need to operate an old furnace heat-output
either full-on or full-off.

If I find that in the coldest part of winter that my furnace is running
all the time but the house temperature is lower than I want, then I'll
just go down to the furnace and turn the gas valve at the regulator a
little more clock-wise and increase the size of the flames and that will
do the job.

Then as you pointed out, you have the issue of removing the freon,
charging the new system, etc. I guess if you know someone that
will do it, that could be dealt with.

I agree that you need a contractor to deal with freon extraction,
balancing, charging, etc, but the more you can do yourself (like run the
lines, connect as much of the system as you can) the more you'll save.

Then, what about the warranty?

That's why I'd preferr to retro-fit the furnace with standard technology
and do away with all the sensors.

It's crazy that they removed the standing pilot light (which uses maybe
$10 worth of gas all year) and they went with electronic ignition, and
by doing so they had to add all sorts of temperature sensors to know if
the main gas supply should be shut off in case the ignitor doesn't
work. Talk about over-kill to save $10 worth of gas (even less if you
normally turn off your pilot light in the summer).

If you install it yourself, isn't the warranty likely voided?

I reject all attempts to sell me warranties for the things I buy. We
all laugh at the warranties that are sold at electronic stores - don't
we?

Do you think I'd replace an ECM furnace motor with another ECM furnace
motor? Hell no. If I didn't already retrofit a new furnce with a
regular AC motor, I would certainly do that if the ECM motor died on
me. To hell with the warranty. It's less agrivating to fix most things
yourself than to deal with the warranty (the exception - vehicles).

Most electronics have a manufacturer warranty anyways, and their small/
portable enough the shlep them back to the retailer or manufacturer when
they break.

I'd also look at the specific reqts for the tax credit, ie
what documentation, etc is required.
That might preclude self-install.

I bet that most HVAC companies have hiked their prices because they know
that home-owners are getting these gov't rebates.

I'd rather spend $2000 on a new furnace and install it myself, rather
than spend $6000 to have a contractor install it and then later I get
$2000 back in gov't credits. Do the math.

You're also aware that the tax credit requires it to be
installed by the end of this year, right?

In what country?

Home Guy is the poster I was referring to in my original post
when I said I know what one guy will tell me. Which is to
just keep running the 26 year old system, because it's the
smart thing to do. He thinks the new systems have too much
complexity, so they are more failure prone, cost more to
repair, etc. He has a point. But given the current tax
credit, utility rebates, energy costs, etc, it's hard to
imagine how we won't come out ahead.

Once the credits are gone, contractor prices will also come down.

You'd think that if he were rational, he's at least use a
new system as it was made and wait for it to fail, then
find out how much the part costs before ripping it apart
and rebuilding it.

Once it fails, it's too late to tinker and retro-fit it with standard
technology. You don't have that luxury when your house needs the heat.

Since he's so concerned about maintenance cost, I wonder what
ripping it apart does to the warranty?

Well, if it no longer has an electronic ignitor, control motherboard and
ECM motor, then why exactly should I care about the warranty for those
items?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Yes, and we both still run windows 98. Because I'm that
type of "Guy".

That sure puts a perspective on things. Windows 98 was
notoriously crash prone,

Ok, I don't want this thread to seriously derail at this point, so I
will simply say that there are reasons why people perceived win-98 to be
seriously flawed that had more to do with the quality of computers and
hardware available in 1999-2000, like faulty video drivers and
pathetically small amounts of installed ram. There is a very healthy
and active community of people that run win-98 on moderm motherboards
with 512mb of ram (and up to several gb). As I type this, I'm running a
P4 2.5 ghz PC with 512 mb ram and 2 hard drives (80 gb and 400 gb SATA)
with KernelEx API enhancements (which lets me run quite a bit of XP-only
software).

Very reliable and stable, hardly touchable by any of the hundreds of
exploits for NT-based windows systems. XP was the emperor with no
clothes. It was a disaster for the first 4 years of it's life. We live
with spam today because of all the home systems that used XP from 2002
through 2006 that got infected with backdoor trojans that turned them
into botnets. It was a crime for Microsoft to force XP into home
computers back in 2002, and it really wasn't fit enough for home use
until SP2. But everyone conveinently forgets XP's history in that
regard.

difficult to protect from a security standpoint

Complete myth.

There never were any network worms that could work on win-98 systems.
Meanwhile there were about 6 different worms over the past 7 years that
can infect NT/XP systems just by them having an internet connection - no
user intervention required.

NT/XP was designed to be used by corporations and enterprises on closed
networks, behind firewalls, managed by IT departments. It's only since
mid 2006 (XP-SP2) did it become somewhat secure for the average
home-owner/user to use XP without help and protection from an on-site IT
staff.

Go to secunia.org and look at the security issues for different versions
of windows. Win-98 has a pathetically small number of issues (33?) -
many of them of low importance. Meanwhile, XP has hundreds.

Then we have the fact that with just about any new PC you buy
today

I don't buy PC's - I build mine from scratch. I don't own any laptops
or netbooks - don't need em.

I have access to binders full of Microsoft software. MSDN, technet,
etc. I have set up hundreds of XP machines at my $DayJob$. I've even
set up something called Multipoint Server 2010 (based on Server 2008
R2).

I run office 2000 Premium SR1. It's nice, because no validation is need
to install (just like no validation needed for win-98). Office 2003?
2007? 2010? I have them all at work. What do most of our work
computers run? Windows 98 with Office 2000. Why? Because if it ain't
broke, you don't f*ck with it.

I know my ****, and what I know is that Microsoft's life blood is to
keep selling you a new OS every 3 years, and they'll do what-ever they
can to beat their old OS's into the ground. If Win-98 was really as bad
as everyone thinks it is, I would leave it in a second, and I have any
number of options at my disposal at no cost to me. I have the CD's and
product keys for ALL versions of windows since windows 95 up to Windows
7.

But I keep using windows 98 for my home computers and my desktop
computer at work. What does that tell you? Does it tell you that I
like to have FULL ACCESS to my own computer? Does it tell you that NTFS
is really a crock of **** compared to FAT32? Does it tell you that I
don't particularly like the idea of WGA? Or that I don't like DRM built
right into the kernel of my OS (as with Vista and 7)? Or a dozen new
system vulnderabilities discovered every month?

Keep drinking the coolaid. Microsoft and it's ecosystem of software and
hardware partners are loving you for it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 12:23*pm, Home Guy wrote:
wrote:
Yes, and we both still run windows 98. *Because I'm that
type of "Guy".

That sure puts a perspective on things. * Windows 98 was
notoriously crash prone,

Ok, I don't want this thread to seriously derail at this point, so I
will simply say that there are reasons why people perceived win-98 to be
seriously flawed that had more to do with the quality of computers and
hardware available in 1999-2000, like faulty video drivers and
pathetically small amounts of installed ram.

Last time I checked, video drivers are considered part of and ship
with the OS,
at least today. The video drivers
I'm using on the PC I'm writing this on were shipped as part of
Windows XP. Upon
installation, the OS installer detects the hardware and installs the
appropriate driver. That's
one of the benefits of XP and more modern OS's. The drivers for
everything the typical
user needs are tested, certified and sold with the OS

As for the quality of computers in 2000, it's rather strange that if
hardware were the problem,
those same computers did not crash when running NT.

*There is a very healthy
and active community of people that run win-98 on moderm motherboards
with 512mb of ram (and up to several gb). *As I type this, I'm running a
P4 2.5 ghz PC with 512 mb ram and 2 hard drives (80 gb and 400 gb SATA)
with KernelEx API enhancements (which lets me run quite a bit of XP-only
software). *

Yeah, I'm sure it's a real stable gem and a marvel that should be in
the Smithsonian
for all to admire.

Very reliable and stable, hardly touchable by any of the hundreds of
exploits for NT-based windows systems. *XP was the emperor with no
clothes. *It was a disaster for the first 4 years of it's life. *

Strange because I used it on several PCs from the time of it's first
release and
I experienced no such disasters. It was an immediate improvement.

We live
with spam today because of all the home systems that used XP from 2002
through 2006 that got infected with backdoor trojans that turned them
into botnets. *It was a crime for Microsoft to force XP into home
computers back in 2002, and it really wasn't fit enough for home use
until SP2. *But everyone conveinently forgets XP's history in that
regard. *

Nonsense. The only reason more spam originates from XP, Vista, or
Win 7
systems is because there are so many more of them out there and
consequently
they are the systems targeted. Why would any hacker or virus
developer waste
their time screwing around writing for Win98 in 2006, when it was
basicly extinct?

difficult to protect from a security standpoint

Complete myth.

Tell us what marvel of security software you're using that offers
realtime protection
from viruses and malware on Win98. None of the major security
software vendors even offer
a product that runs on Win98 anymore. Not Norton, not McAfee,
Kaspersky, TrendMicro, none
of them. The best you can find is some shareware that may find the
virus when you manually
run it after the virus is already on your system. None of those
that I'm aware of provide removal either.

There never were any network worms that could work on win-98 systems.
Meanwhile there were about 6 different worms over the past 7 years that
can infect NT/XP systems just by them having an internet connection - no
user intervention required. *

You think MAYBE that's because of factors like it just took time for
the worms
and the sophistication of hackers to develop? Any reasonable person
knows
perfectly well that if Win98 was sitting all over the worlds networks
today, it would be MORE
prone to attack by viruses today. That argument is like saying there
were never
any terrorists that used a DC3, so it was a superior airplane to a
767.

NT/XP was designed to be used by corporations and enterprises on closed
networks, behind firewalls, managed by IT departments. *It's only since
mid 2006 (XP-SP2) did it become somewhat secure for the average
home-owner/user to use XP without help and protection from an on-site IT
staff.

LOL. As I said, I used XP for a decade, from the start, with no such
problems.
What you're suggesting, that Win98 is or was more secure than XP, is
laughable.

Go to secunia.org and look at the security issues for different versions
of windows. *Win-98 has a pathetically small number of issues (33?) -
many of them of low importance. *Meanwhile, XP has hundreds.

You think just maybe that could be because those that develop viruses
and
those that try to hack systems evolved over time, became more
prevalent over
time? Consequently they are spending their time to hack into the
systems
that are most widespread and useful to hack with. In other words,
for the last
decade, just like other software developers they haven't given a rat's
behind about Win98.
Yet, you mistake that as a feature of Win98.

Then we have the fact that with just about any new PC you buy
today

I don't buy PC's - I build mine from scratch. *I don't own any laptops
or netbooks - don't need em.

Figures you'd follow that strategy. Kind of like the guys I see
bidding up
systems on Ebay. The seller has a two year old PC and states in the
listing over and over that they don't know if it works, sold as is, it
turns
on, but there is no video, no cables, no software, etc. Yet I see
guys
bidding it up to over $200. Over at HP, you can get a brand new
midrange PC with
Win 7 and Microsoft Office, warranty, support, etc for $425. Does that
$200
box sound like a good deal to you?

You couldn't buy the indivdual components on that HP system for
anywhere
near $425. You think you're going to get an AMD Phenom II X4 for
anything
close to what HP buys it for? How about that 1GB drive? Even just
the hardware
components would be more than that. And then, after you do the
integration,
using parts from God knows where, when it doesn't work, you can argue
with
the seller about whether the parts were deffective before or after you
screwed
around with them. I suppose you'd prefer to build your own TV too.

I have access to binders full of Microsoft software. *MSDN, technet,
etc. *I have set up hundreds of XP machines at my $DayJob$. *I've even
set up something called Multipoint Server 2010 (based on Server 2008
R2). *

I run office 2000 Premium SR1. *It's nice, because no validation is need
to install (just like no validation needed for win-98). *Office 2003?
2007? *2010? *I have them all at work. *What do most of our work
computers run? *Windows 98 with Office 2000. *Why? *Because if it ain't
broke, you don't f*ck with it. *

That sounds like the corporate strategy used by GM, Chrysler, and
Lucent Technologies.

I know my ****, and what I know is that Microsoft's life blood is to
keep selling you a new OS every 3 years, and they'll do what-ever they
can to beat their old OS's into the ground. *

Really? Wow, you mean just like every 3 years or so I can get a new
cell
phone that has way more features, better call quality, better
bandwith, internet
access, longer battery life, etc? My what blood suckers, all of them!

If Win-98 was really as bad
as everyone thinks it is, I would leave it in a second, and I have any
number of options at my disposal at no cost to me. *I have the CD's and
product keys for ALL versions of windows since windows 95 up to Windows
7. *

Almost everyone knows how inferior it was to the OS's we run today.

But I keep using windows 98 for my home computers and my desktop
computer at work. *What does that tell you? *Does it tell you that I
like to have FULL ACCESS to my own computer? *Does it tell you that NTFS
is really a crock of **** compared to FAT32? *Does it tell you that I
don't particularly like the idea of WGA? *Or that I don't like DRM built
right into the kernel of my OS (as with Vista and 7)? *Or a dozen new
system vulnderabilities discovered every month?

I'd say it, together with your constant vulgarity and the fact that
you claim you
would take any new furnace apart to tear out the modern technology
parts before
installing it tells me that you aren't as smart as you think you are
and you have
some serious issues.

Keep drinking the coolaid. *Microsoft and it's ecosystem of software and
hardware partners are loving you for it.

Yeah, they get a whole lot of money out of me. Let's see, last $
they got was when I
bought a PC back in 2001 with XP installed on it. That might have
amounted to $50
at most. Then, this year I bought a new HP computer with Win 7 and
Office. Maybe
they got $75 out of that. Big deal. Compare that to your cell
phone bill. Or your cable
bill. Oh wait, let me guess, you don't have those either, right?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Last time I checked, video drivers are considered part of and ship
with the OS, at least today.

Hardware drivers (video, chipset, etc) are written by the manufacturers
of those components. They are made available to Microsoft for
incorporation into the distribution CD's that Windows comes on.

Drivers are updated all the time, especially for video cards, and the
best drivers for most things are almost always obtained from the
manufacturer's website, not from the Windows installation CD.

Now if you're talking laptops or netbooks, that's a slightly different
story, as those hardware components are custom-integrated into the final
product and there may never be driver updates created for those hardware
components. When it comes to desktop PC's, unless you have a "boutique"
computer (HP, Compaq, Dell) then most likely there are better versions
of various hardware drivers available on the net vs the ones that
shipped with the computer originally or that come on the Windows CD.

Windows 98 was plagued by buggy AGP video card drivers and even the AGP
bus itself was still being improved (from an electrical / signalling
POV) back during the time when win-98 was introduced and used (1998 -
2002). Video cards and drivers were significantly better and more
reliable in 2002 than they were in 1998.

The video drivers I'm using on the PC I'm writing this on were
shipped as part of Windows XP. Upon installation, the OS
installer detects the hardware and installs the appropriate
driver. That's one of the benefits of XP and more modern OS's.

Windows 98 was no different. The win-98 CD comes with hundreds of
drivers for all sorts of hardware devices from dozens of manufacturers,
and hundreds if not thousands more win-98 drivers are available on the
web for new devices that didn't exist back in 1998/1999.

It was only during 2006 that drivers for new hardware products stopped
being written for windows 98.

As for the quality of computers in 2000, it's rather strange that
if hardware were the problem, those same computers did not crash
when running NT.

NT did crash. But more to the point - NT systems were usually given the
luxury of more installed RAM. Any OS becomes unstable when given a
small amount of memory, and Win-98 systems at the time were severely
handicapped because they usually had a pathetic 8 to 32 mb of installed
RAM.

Another thing is that when a program crashes under NT, it doesn't take
the OS with it. But Win-9x doesn't have the same separation of OS and
App memory space, so a badly behaving program can crash a win-9x
computer. You might think this is a good thing, but it's largely
irrelavent, because you probably won't be running a badly-behaved App
for very long regardless what OS you use.

XP was the emperor with no clothes. It was a disaster for
the first 4 years of it's life.

Strange because I used it on several PCs from the time of
it's first release and I experienced no such disasters.

XP was extremely well known as being easily exploitable back during 2002
through 2004, and slightly less exploitable in 2005 - 2006. Ask anyone
who was in IT during those years.

It was an immediate improvement.

You noticed an improvement because XP most likely came installed on a
new computer, and the specs of that new computer were likely much better
than the specs of of the win-98 computer that it replaced.

The years 1998 through 2003 saw a drastic improvement in the capability,
performance, stability and reliability of computer hardware
(motherboard, hard drives, video cards, RAM). You can't compare win-98
with XP without taking that into account.

We live with spam today because of all the home systems that
used XP from 2002 through 2006 that got infected with backdoor
trojans that turned them into botnets.
But everyone conveinently forgets XP's history in that
regard.

Nonsense. The only reason more spam originates from XP, Vista,
or Win 7 systems is because there are so many more of them out
there

There were major flaws in XP back in 2002 through 2006 that made them
easy targets for remote access and control by hackers. Those flaws
relate to Microsoft's design goals that XP was first and formost a
business-level operating system and had lots of extra "stuff" (services)
turned on that were completely unnecessary for home users. Windows 98
either did not have those services or they were not turned on by default
as they were with XP, and because of code differences the win-98
versions either did not have any vulnerabilities or if they did, they
were not exploitable in a reliable and consistent way as they were with
XP.

There were plenty of Win-98 computers on the internet during 1998
through 2002, but hardly any of them were exploited because they simply
weren't vulnerable, and many win-98 computers continued to be used into
2003 and 2004. When you read detailed reports and white-papers
regarding trojans and botnets, you find that they were overwhelmingly
composed of XP machines back in 2003 through 2005, even though there
were still a significant number of win-98 machines in use at the time.

Why would any hacker or virus developer waste their time
screwing around writing for Win98 in 2006, when it was
basicly extinct?

Hackers were always looking for vulnerabilities in all OS's in use at
any given time. The truth is that there were hardly any vulnerabilities
in win-98. Ever.

Tell us what marvel of security software you're using that offers
realtime protection from viruses and malware on Win98.

Usually - nothing.

The main AV product that I used on my home and company PC's is/was
Norton AntiVirus 2002 (and note: NAV did not become bloatware until
version 2003 and later). NAV 2002 can still be updated with current
virus scan engine and definition files using Symantec's "intellgent
updater" package - but Symantec doesn't want you to know that.

But I mostly don't bother to update the definitions on the 15 or so
win-98 computers that I own or manage because they quite simply have
never gotten exposed to any malware in the past 7 or so years.

And it's funny when I'm surfing a website and I get the fake-AV popup
that wants me to download some software (which I do just to sample it
and send it to virustotal.com) or maybe some rogue web-page will trigger
my browser to download a malicious pdf file which will cause Acrobat
Reader 6 to start up - and display a harmless error message - because
acrobat reader 6 is not vulnerable to any of the various pdf exploits
that have been discovered in the past few years.

Every once in a while I'll take the hard drive from my win-98 systems
and slave them to an isolated XP system running several different AV
software and scan the drives for malware. NONE is ever found.

From an IT management point of view, it has been an absolute pleasure to
own and operate about a dozen windows-98 systems in a corporate / small
business environment for the past 10 years. From payroll to accounting
to production to manufacturing to networking, win-98 works well in those
rolls with the software we have, and I spend zero time having to worry
or deal with security or malware from the internet. It's also been a
very cost-effective solution not "upgrading" to what-ever Microsoft says
is the required OS to use. Anyone dancing to Microsoft's tune is indeed
a fool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 9:52*am, Home Guy wrote:
mm wrote:
[...]

And that warranty goes down the drain, 10 yr extended and lifetime
heat exchanger you loose. With thinner heat exchangers and
electronics, odds are you just lost your savings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 11:47:47 -0500, Home Guy wrote:

That's why I'd preferr to retro-fit the furnace with standard technology
and do away with all the sensors.

It's crazy that they removed the standing pilot light (which uses maybe
$10 worth of gas all year) and they went with electronic ignition, and
by doing so they had to add all sorts of temperature sensors to know if
the main gas supply should be shut off in case the ignitor doesn't
work. Talk about over-kill to save $10 worth of gas (even less if you
normally turn off your pilot light in the summer).

I don't like all the fail safe points on the new furnaces, because any
one of them failing can leave you without heat.
But you've got your work cut out to modify as you want to.
First, toss the motherboard.
Toss the ignitor.
Toss the flame sensor.
Toss the roll out sensors.
Toss the inducer, or unplug it.
Find a thermocouple controlled gas valve that will fit in place of the
electronically controlled valve that came with the unit.
Rig a pilot light.
Then figure out what to do with the many loose wires, how to relay the
main fan speed (you tossed the existing relays with the motherboard),
decide whether to rig an over temp sensor, etc.
You might need to rig a new transformer if that was on the
motherboard. I don't know.
I briefly considered replacing the motherboard on mine when I was
mentally shotgunning parts (I only wasted 6 bucks on an inducer
diaphragm valve.)
The mass of wires connected to the motherboard scared me off.
I always got it going again by cleaning the flame sensor.
Even if I had just cleaned it a couple days ago.
Main fan was always inconsistent too, sometimes running for a minute
after flame off, sometimes not.

When the main fan relay (on motherboard) stuck so there was only low
speed - not enough to heat/cool - I called in a pro.
He had it going in 10 seconds by flexing the motherboard.
Said it could stick again, so I had him put in a new motherboard.
Took the pro about 15 minutes to replace the motherboard.
He only cussed twice.
No problems for the 3 years since.

That motherboard was flaky from the getgo.
I think flaky/failing motherboards are the biggest problem with
modern furnaces, not the sensors.
Heat, undersized relays, etc.
A flame sensor problem is easy to diagnose - gas valve opens, then
closes. Cleaning sensor with steel wool always fixed that.
Ignitor failure is easy to diagnose - inducer clicks diaphragm switch,
and no glow within 15 seconds. Replaced one ignitor.
MB leds give that info too.
Sensors and ignitors are cheap and easy to replace.
Motherboards cost hundreds - think mine was $320.

Came across a post somewhere where a guy had 2 Carrier motherboards
fail in 4 years, so he wired external relays to take the load and the
3rd motherboard has lasted 6-7 years so far.
Next time I get a furnace I'll call up the same pro and pay for a
service call just to pick his brain on this type of thing before I
make my decision.
Problem is, as somebody else said, models are always changing, and
some reliable models get discontinued.
Almost like buying a first year model car - you don't know what bad
was engineered into it.

Then, if you talk to a pro repairman who also does installs you have
to be wary of his prejudices. It's human nature.

Anyway, I wager you won't try to do the modifications I've mentioned
when you replace that old furnace.
I'm a gambling man (-:
Wouldn't mind being wrong on that bet though if you come back and tell
us how you did it.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley unnecessarily full-quoted:

And that warranty goes down the drain, 10 yr extended and lifetime
heat exchanger you loose.

No.

Anyone who buys a new furnace and ends up needing to rely on any sort of
corrosion warranty will lose.

Because as past history has shown, you need to launch a class-action law
suit in order to ever get compensation.

With thinner heat exchangers and electronics, odds are you just
lost your savings.

If you think at the outset that you're buying a piece-of-**** furnace
that's going to break down on you like that, then it doesn't matter
whether or not you've modded the furnace. You shouldn't be buying a
piece-of-**** furnace in the first place.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The subject line says "new gas furnace". You're writing about Windows
98 and you "don't want this thread to seriously derail". Might I
suggest that point has long since passed?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Home Guy"
wrote in message ...
wrote:

Ok, I don't want this thread to seriously derail at this point, so I
will simply say that there are reasons why people perceived win-98 to
be
seriously flawed that had more to do with the quality of computers and

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 4, 3:43*pm, Home Guy wrote:
wrote:
Last time I checked, video drivers are considered part of and ship
with the OS, *at least today.

Hardware drivers (video, chipset, etc) are written by the manufacturers
of those components. *They are made available to Microsoft for
incorporation into the distribution CD's that Windows comes on.

After certification and approval by Microsoft to ensure that they work
with
the OS. Ifa the drivers for the common video chips included in WinXP,
7, etc
doesn't work, won't install, etc, you call Microsoft. With Win98 you
have
old drivers and God knows who you call today. I doubt anyone is
writing
Win98 drivers for new hardware today.

Drivers are updated all the time, especially for video cards, and the
best drivers for most things are almost always obtained from the
manufacturer's website, not from the Windows installation CD.

And most people, like me, are using the standard ones. I have a four
monitor Appian graphics card running on XP. Not even your typical
video card. The standared XP install recognized it, installed the
driver
and it works perfectly.

Now if you're talking laptops or netbooks, that's a slightly different
story, as those hardware components are custom-integrated into the final
product and there may never be driver updates created for those hardware
components. *

There isn't anything special about notebook computers. The hardware
components
that drive the I/O, eg video/graphics chips are integrated into chips
on the motherboard. The
exact same thing is done with the computers you buy at any of the
desktop
manufacturers. They usually have basic video/graphics integrated on
the motherboard
because most of the chipsets sold by Intel, AMD have those built-in
and it gives them
a cost effective way of offering video/graphics. If you want to, you
can choose to disable
those and use an add-in card for higher performance. Same thing
with disk. The disk interface has
been part of the desktop motherboard for a decade, because it too is
intergrated into those
chipsets, just like for notebooks.

When it comes to desktop PC's, unless you have a "boutique"
computer (HP, Compaq, Dell) then most likely there are better versions
of various hardware drivers available on the net vs the ones that
shipped with the computer originally or that come on the Windows CD.

You're stuck in Win98 world. Today those common, mainstream PCs come
with drivers that are perfectly fine, stable and only a small minority
of people
are seeking out drivers different than what comes with the PC. That
mode
exists primarily with geeks and gamers, who want to screw around with
things
and try to get some better performance. I don;t know who would
consider HP
or Dell a boutique company. I can get a mid-range PC with 6GB RAM,
650MB
disk, Win 7, MSFT Office, Norton Internet Security, etc from HP for
$425 including
shipping. What makes that "boutique". BTW, Compaq hasn't existed
for years.
It was bought by HP.

Windows 98 was plagued by buggy AGP video card drivers and even the AGP
bus itself was still being improved (from an electrical / signalling
POV) back during the time when win-98 was introduced and used (1998 -
2002). *Video cards and drivers were significantly better and more
reliable in 2002 than they were in 1998. *

Uh huh. And those better drivers are shipped by Microsoft as part of
XP and later
OS's. Consequently, those OS's are more likely to install and work
without blue
screens of death. I think most people would say that makes XP a
better OS.

The video drivers I'm using on the PC I'm writing this on were
shipped as part of Windows XP. *Upon installation, the OS
installer detects the hardware and installs the appropriate
driver. *That's one of the benefits of XP and more modern OS's.

Windows 98 was no different. *The win-98 CD comes with hundreds of
drivers for all sorts of hardware devices from dozens of manufacturers,
and hundreds if not thousands more win-98 drivers are available on the
web for new devices that didn't exist back in 1998/1999.

Win98 was different. You just said:

"Windows 98 was plagued by buggy AGP video card drivers " Today Win7
ship with drivers that are stable and not buggy.

[...]

Oh my God. You can't seriously belive this. WinXP and subsequent
OSs
took full advantage of the hardware protection built into the Intel
architecture. There
is physical hardware present specifically to prevent one app from
crashing another
ap or the OS. For example, using that hardware, the OS limits the
memory space
application A can reach. It can try to do a direct memory write to
another memory
region, eg one used by the OS, and the HARDWARE blocks it and triggers
an
exception. It's precisely those kinds of improvements that are in XP
and later
OS's that make them stable. Win98 was a kludge from the days of the
original
8088 based PC, with the OS being a legacy 16 bit implentation with
some 32 bit
capability added on. Consequently it made minimal use of the features
of the hardware
that provided memory management and protection. With XP, the home had
a true 32 bit
OS that fitted perfectly with the memory management and protection
hardware of the
Intel architecture.

With Win98 I regularly had one bad behaving app lock up the whole
system. With
XP and later, that's been reduced dramatically. It still does happen
once in a while.
I think most people share that experience.

XP was the emperor with no clothes. *It was a disaster for
the first 4 years of it's life.

Strange because I used it on several PCs from the time of
it's first release and I experienced no such disasters.

XP was extremely well known as being easily exploitable back during 2002
through 2004, and slightly less exploitable in 2005 - 2006. *Ask anyone
who was in IT during those years.

And Win98 besides being an unstable piece of crap, had all those
security
vulnerabilities and more. Just because more viruses and malware have
evolved
over time doesn't mean that earlier OS's were better. Following that
logic, we
should all still be using MS-DOS because the original IBM PC had no
viruses,
at least for a while.

It was an immediate improvement.

You noticed an improvement because XP most likely came installed on a
new computer, and the specs of that new computer were likely much better
than the specs of of the win-98 computer that it replaced.

Wrong. You can take Win98 and run it on a brand new computer today and
it
would have the same problems because it's a kludge 16bit/32 bit
patched together
OS. But that ain;t very likely to happen, because no one is writing
drivers for it
today. You want to stay stuck in time 5+ years ago forever?

The years 1998 through 2003 saw a drastic improvement in the capability,
performance, stability and reliability of computer hardware
(motherboard, hard drives, video cards, RAM). *You can't compare win-98
with XP without taking that into account. *

Been, there, done that. What I've seen is a constant improvement
over time in
both hardware and software. One of those was kissing Win98 goodbye.

[...]

Hopefully that's because that system is not connected to the internet.
More likely it's because no security software is available to offer
real-
time protection for Win98.

The main AV product that I used on my home and company PC's is/was
Norton AntiVirus 2002 (and note: *NAV did not become bloatware until
version 2003 and later). *NAV 2002 can still be updated with current
virus scan engine and definition files using Symantec's "intellgent
updater" package - but Symantec doesn't want you to know that.

But I mostly don't bother to update the definitions on the 15 or so
win-98 computers that I own or manage because they quite simply have
never gotten exposed to any malware in the past 7 or so years.

That must mean that you don;t have it connected to the internet,
otherwise
they would clearly be exposed. But being an antique, there are less
viruses to worry
about because just like with apps, no one is writing new ones. But
I'd bet someone
is occasionally recirculating old ones.

And it's funny when I'm surfing a website and I get the fake-AV popup
that wants me to download some software (which I do just to sample it
and send it to virustotal.com) or maybe some rogue web-page will trigger
my browser to download a malicious pdf file which will cause Acrobat
Reader 6 to start up - and display a harmless error message - because
acrobat reader 6 is not vulnerable to any of the various pdf exploits
that have been discovered in the past few years.

I'm sure trying to use Win98 on the web today you get all sorts of
error messages.

Every once in a while I'll take the hard drive from my win-98 systems
and slave them to an isolated XP system running several different AV
software and scan the drives for malware. *NONE is ever found.

That's a real convenient process and finds them only after they've
infected the
system.

From an IT management point of view, it has been an absolute pleasure to
own and operate about a dozen windows-98 systems in a corporate / small
business environment for the past 10 years. *From payroll to accounting
to production to manufacturing to networking, win-98 works well in those
rolls *with the software we have, and I spend zero time having to worry
or deal with security or malware from the internet. *It's also been a
very cost-effective solution not "upgrading" to what-ever Microsoft says
is the required OS to use. *Anyone dancing to Microsoft's tune is indeed
a fool.

Yeah, like I said, that evil corporation called Microsoft has really
scammed me.
They got maybe $50 from me in 2001 when I bought a PC with XP. And
recently
they got a similar amount or maybe $75when I bought a new PC that has
Win 7
and Microsoft Office on it. During that decade I got free updates.
They really
took advantage of me. All those developers that stopped writing
anything for
Win98 6 or more years ago must be fools too.

Clearly you're one of the Microsoft hating loons, so biased you can't
see the forest
for the trees.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 1:46*pm, wrote:
[...]

I didnt know furnaces ran windows. Consumer Reports mag did a poll of
about 22000 people years ago, the top results were suprising, you do
have CR mag online, right. If I was looking for one it would be
stainless steel heat exchanger not treated steel. If you over heat
them ive heard they fail fast. Checking the temp just above the
exchanger is something you should have set up and do. If it gets humid
inside when temps are mild, to mild for normal AC, a Vsdc blower will
do alot by running real slow and cycling the Ac only for humidity
removal, if its set up right. Vsdc should also save you 15-30% on
electric usage overall. The first generation untis failed within 6-10
years, ive heard but they redisigned the electronics so maybe they
last now, you still need the longest warranty if you go with the fancy
stuff. 10yrs is common and maybe 15yr warrantys are done now. 2 stage
or modulating gas valves allow more even heat. With a high efficiency
condensing unit you automaticly cut the size of overall btus needed by
10 to maybe even 15%. If you dont run it 24 hrs a day on the coldest
days you might cut its size more. But if you do the setback or
vacation alot recovery is harder. You could Diy it , save money, have
no warranty and maybe be covered on savings. I think vsdc motor is
600, but im guessing on all numbers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 5, 8:00*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
The subject line says "new gas furnace". You're writing about Windows
98 and you "don't want this thread to seriously derail". Might I
suggest that point has long since passed?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"Home Guy"
wrote in ...

wrote:

Ok, I don't want this thread to seriously derail at this point, so I
will simply say that there are reasons why people perceived win-98 to
be
seriously flawed that had more to do with the quality of computers and

Excuse me, but you've obviously got me confused with HomeGuy. He's
the
guy that started the Win98 crap that got the thread off track and made
the
above quoted statement. Perhaps you remember him as the profanity
spewing
poster you previously engaged with.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 5, 10:40*am, ransley wrote:
On Dec 3, 1:46*pm, wrote:

[...]

I checked there already. They said the problem reports were about the
same
for all the manufacturers and didn't rate one better than the other.
They gave
some average price of a furnace information for the manufacturers.
But I'm
not sure what that even means. Does it mean that the price for a
similar
furnace from each company? Or does it mean that it's the average
price of
the systems each company sells? If it's the latter, it's useless,
because
company A could offer more high-end systems and have a higher average
price, while actually being cheaper on the particular system type I
want.

Thanks again for the help in the past on that CR stuff. I finally
got a subscription.

[...]

I was thinking about that. With the current furnace, with an outside
temp of'
about 28F, it raises the temp from 60 to 70 at about 5F per hour.
Current
26 year old furnace is 150K input. So, I'm thinking with 93% or so
efficiency
new one, 100K should be about the same. It's not close to running
constantly
on the coldest days here in coastal NJ, which would be about 8F. But
any smaller and it cuts
back the ability to set it back at night. Right now it's set to go
to 60 at 11PM,
back to 67 at 5:30AM

I also take maybe 7 trips in the winter where I set it back to 50 and
from the above,
you can tell it takes several hours to get back to a reasonable
temperature.
I've though about getting an thermostat that I could control via the
internet
to set it back up when I'm on the way back.

Would you think it a good idea to go with a smaller one if it means
less ability
to set it back, even on a daily basis?

As far as the VSDC, etc., I'm going to see what the contractors have
in the systems
that meet the credit reqts as well as those just below it. I'm
thinking I'll probably wind
up essentially getting a better furnace for free when you factor in
the credit.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

ransley wrote:

I didnt know furnaces ran windows.

Don't joke. Next year they'll be running linux or android.

Consumer Reports mag did a poll of about 22000 people years ago
the top results were suprising

So post them here.

If I was looking for one it would be stainless steel heat exchanger
not treated steel.

Yes. Stainless for both the primary and secondary exchangers. Take a
magnet with you to the hvac dealer's show room and test the units they
have on display.

Vsdc should also save you 15-30% on electric usage overall.
The first generation untis failed within 6-10 years, ive heard
but they redisigned the electronics so maybe they last now

Correct term for vsdc motors is ECM. ECM motors are a crock of ****.
Best you'll save is 100 watts compared to 1/4 hp AC motor, and less if
you have 2-speed AC motor. Saving 100 watts at 10 cents/kwh is about
$100 (that's 100 watts continuously for an entire year). Now subtract
the electricity used by the furnace motherboard, and various other
blowers and condensate pump. The extra 100 watts used by AC motors are
dumped into the house as heat - which is what you need in the winter
(and spring and fall depending where you live) so it's not all wasted
energy.

Lifespan of ECM motor is 1/2 to 1/4 that of AC motor, and it's 4 to 8
times more expensive (upfront cost of furnace is higher, repair costs
higher). ECM motors create EM/RFI on your household wiring, can
interfere with tv and radio reception.

Now tell me how you're saving with an ECM motor.

So where are we?

1) Adding second stage heat exchanger to conventional (70 - 80%)
furnaces from 30 years ago gives us condensing furnace (95% give or
take) - which is good. I do like that improvement.

2) Using cheap steel for heat exchangers compared to furnaces from 30
years ago is bad. Using stainless is good.

3) Using electronic ignition is bad comprimize from cost/savings point
of view compared to standing pilot light. No real need to use
electronic ignition in modern condensing furnace.

4) Using ECM motors is also bad comprimize compared to 1/4 or 1/3 hp AC
squirrel cage motor. *Actual* or *Net* energy savings don't justify
extra cost and reduced longevity.

As a consumer, give me the choice of electronic ignition or conventional
pilot. Give me the choice of ECM vs standard AC motor. Give me the
choice of mechanical thermostat (in the furnace) to control gas valve
and fan motor instead of electronic motherboard. Give me all stainless
for the exchangers. If you don't give me ALL those choices, then I say
that modern furnaces and the entire industry is a crock of ****.

Beyond the furnace itself, it's time to start ducting winter heat around
the AC coils instead of going through them. You want efficiency? It's
not efficient to blow air through coils when you don't need to do it
during the winter.

It's also time to allow for spring/fall cooling by having ducting and
gating that allows the furnace to pull return air from the outside,
force it into the house, and gate the interior return air back to the
outside. When ever you want the house cooler, and the outside air is
cooler than the inside air, then why use your AC when you can draw
outside air into the house directly?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Home Guy" wrote in message ...
ransley wrote:

I didnt know furnaces ran windows.

Don't joke. Next year they'll be running linux or android.

The new high end systems are serial control with variable frequency inverter
drives that will vary their output from 40% - 115% of their rated capacity.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/a...-205/overview/

If I was looking for one it would be stainless steel heat exchanger
not treated steel.

Look for tubular primary heat exchanger, not "clam shell".

Yes. Stainless for both the primary and secondary exchangers. Take a
magnet with you to the hvac dealer's show room and test the units they
have on display.

If the furnace is correctly sized, properly installed and adjusted,
aluminized steel or stainless.... either will give you a good service life.

Vsdc should also save you 15-30% on electric usage overall.
The first generation untis failed within 6-10 years, ive heard
but they redisigned the electronics so maybe they last now

90% of those failures were due to incorrectly designed and sized ductwork
that caused extreme static pressures.

Correct term for vsdc motors is ECM. ECM motors are a crock of ****.
Best you'll save is 100 watts compared to 1/4 hp AC motor, and less if
you have 2-speed AC motor. Saving 100 watts at 10 cents/kwh is about
$100 (that's 100 watts continuously for an entire year). Now subtract
the electricity used by the furnace motherboard, and various other
blowers and condensate pump. The extra 100 watts used by AC motors are
dumped into the house as heat - which is what you need in the winter
(and spring and fall depending where you live) so it's not all wasted
energy.

you need to do some more homework here.

Lifespan of ECM motor is 1/2 to 1/4 that of AC motor, and it's 4 to 8
times more expensive (upfront cost of furnace is higher, repair costs
higher). ECM motors create EM/RFI on your household wiring, can
interfere with tv and radio reception.

ECM motors have the same or greater lifespan, use half the energy to run and
are a whole lot quieter than PSC motors. Only the cheapest manufactures with
the cheapest models of furnaces have issues with RFI. yes you will get what
you pay for.

Now tell me how you're saving with an ECM motor.

The average system that I install uses 30% - 40% less energy to run.

So where are we?

Talking about how you need to go back to school, and get up to speed with
the new systems.

1) Adding second stage heat exchanger to conventional (70 - 80%)
furnaces from 30 years ago gives us condensing furnace (95% give or
take) - which is good. I do like that improvement.

90+ furnaces VS 80+ furnaces will largely depend on location, climate, and
degree days. Here in south Mississippi, the additional cost of a 90+ furnace
is not justified, where in the northern states where they have 9 months of
winter sports is a different story.

2) Using cheap steel for heat exchangers compared to furnaces from 30
years ago is bad. Using stainless is good.

Stainless is good, but also much more expensive. Will the additional cost be
worth it in your location?
Keep in mind that heating and cooling systems are not built to last forever.

3) Using electronic ignition is bad comprimize from cost/savings point
of view compared to standing pilot light. No real need to use
electronic ignition in modern condensing furnace.

Please explain how this is so?? or do you advocate removing half of the
safety devices on the furnace in favor of a standing pilot?? I don't know of
*ANY* legitmate HVAC tech that would purposly want to remove safeties from
any gas appliance.

4) Using ECM motors is also bad comprimize compared to 1/4 or 1/3 hp AC
squirrel cage motor. *Actual* or *Net* energy savings don't justify
extra cost and reduced longevity.

Please explain how you come up with this.

BTW, I installed a new 3ton, 15SEER heat pump system for a customer 2 weeks
ago, he has the ability to monitor his *ACTUAL* energy usage. The new system
uses 1500 watts less energy to run it than the old system did.
Last January I installed a new 4 ton 14SEER dual fuel/hybrid system in my
own home and it reduced my energy usage by 42% over this last year. BOTH
systems have ECM blower motors, as well as ECM condenser fan motors.

As a consumer, give me the choice of electronic ignition or conventional
pilot. Give me the choice of ECM vs standard AC motor. Give me the
choice of mechanical thermostat (in the furnace) to control gas valve
and fan motor instead of electronic motherboard. Give me all stainless
for the exchangers. If you don't give me ALL those choices, then I say
that modern furnaces and the entire industry is a crock of ****.

So you want to go back in time and have your energy bills doubled.....
Technology is a good thing when the contractor/installer/tech has the
training, education, and experience. to me it sounds like your not happy
because its no longer a DIY proposition, and you can't make it work
correctly. in case you haven't noticed, *EVERYTHING* has electronics in it
these days. The electronics make things safer, and more energy efficient.
FWIW, a good quality digital control can reduce your energy bills 10% - 15%
by itself, as well as increase your comfort levels by not having the 5 - 7
degree temperature swings that a mechanical thermostat will give you.

Beyond the furnace itself, it's time to start ducting winter heat around
the AC coils instead of going through them. You want efficiency? It's
not efficient to blow air through coils when you don't need to do it
during the winter.

You can't be serious

It's also time to allow for spring/fall cooling by having ducting and
gating that allows the furnace to pull return air from the outside,
force it into the house, and gate the interior return air back to the
outside. When ever you want the house cooler, and the outside air is
cooler than the inside air, then why use your AC when you can draw
outside air into the house directly?

The A/C does *MORE* than just cool the air... but I just don't have the time
or the inclination to explain it all to you. Its pretty obvious that your
not a tech by any stretch of the imagination.

To the OP... I would highly recommend that you call your local *COMPETENT*,
licensed, insured, professionally trained, HVAC technician to do a complete
assesment of your home to see what it actually needs, and recomendations for
a top quality installation of a top quality system that is best suited for
your home in your particular climate.

--
Steve @ Noon-Air Heating & A/C

"Stop calling me for freebies Satan,
I'll fix your air conditioner when you pay me, Cheapskate!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 1:46*pm, wrote:

[...]

the credit.- Hide quoted text -

The CR survey was notable because it stated Goodman to be less
reliable, but I guess you are not looking at Goodman.

Your 150k furnace is likely 82% and 123,000 output, a 100k 94% unit is
94,000 output so its alot less, near 30%. I wonder does it even run in
6 hrs at night on 6f cutback? a load calculation is really needed to
know what is needed, or just dont go to much smaller. The only real
need I can see for 2 stage or modulating gas valves is if you have
uneven heat and need more comfort. Just cutting my furnace size 50%
gave me more even heat but I was way oversized. Ecm-Vsdc would help
more in winter if heat is uneven but it really makes sense for AC if
alot of your climate is near 70 but humid or you need to boost AC.
With 7 trips a winter and setbacks you will be colder longer if its
alot smaller. I think the main benefit is a cheaper unit, but you
didnt say heat was uneven or bad. if your fine now maybe Condensing
and no fancy stuff is best. a bit smaller and heat will be more even.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Dec 5, 11:08*am, Home Guy wrote:
ransley wrote:
[...]

I dont know how to cut and paste yet but its 2008 CR magazine furnace
survey

Ecm Vsdc, it can run at 100watts vs 375 for my 1/4hp, thats near 70%
saving in slow mode, maybe near 100w less at high speed.

Who in the US pays only 0.10c per Kwh, you must live near a big Dam
and get subsidised electric because im .18 and so is the rest of the
US, many place are near 0.25 kwh.

You miss the point, its comfort or else you wouldnt even have a
heating system. Vsdc can remove in low speed maybe 50% more moisture
with minimal cooling so its great in humid areas, great for homes with
uneven heat. It is about comfort, but can save the cost of the motor
in electric usage over 6-7 years. That was my figure years ago at .
125kwh.

You have to know yearly hours run in heat and AC and a real Kwh cost
to make any claim to it not paying back.

Lifespan, are you refering to the old or new redesign motor.

Electronic ignitions failing, so do thermocuples.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 1:46*pm, wrote:

[...]

I was thinking the current 26 year old furnace is more like 60 or 65%%
efficient. Don't
you think 82% is way high? I'd expect that from a more modern
furnace, eg
the current low cost entry level systems, but not from my ancient
beast. If it's 65%,
then replacing it with a 100K, 93% one is pretty close.

I wonder does it even run in
6 hrs at night on 6f cutback?

I set it back to 60 at 11PM and it definitely will run overnight if
it's cold weather, probably
from the low 20s on down.

a load calculation is really needed to
know what is needed, or just dont go to much smaller.

The first contractor, Carrier guy is coming tomorrow and I think he's
going to do one. But it
would seem to me that the actual experience I have with the current
one is just as useful,
maybe more so. At least for the heating part.

The only real
need I can see for 2 stage or modulating gas valves is if you have
uneven heat and need more comfort. Just cutting my furnace size 50%
gave me more even heat but I was way oversized. Ecm-Vsdc would help
more in winter if heat is uneven but it really makes sense for AC if
alot of your climate is near 70 but humid or you need to boost AC.
With 7 trips a winter and setbacks you will be colder longer if its
alot smaller. I think the main benefit is a cheaper unit, but you
didnt say heat was uneven or bad. if your fine now maybe Condensing
and no fancy stuff is best. a bit smaller and heat will be more even.- Hide quoted text -

That's about where I'm headed. The only issue I have now is that it
would be
good to have more cooling upstairs. Main issue there is the limited
duct work
originally installed. One thing I want to look into is more blower
capacity to
help with that. But I think the best solution would be a second AC
system for
upstairs. I don't think it's enough of an issue though to warrant
doing that.

So, I'm thinking get more airflow if possible, and a system that's
sufficient in rating
to meet the tax credit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 1:46*pm, wrote:

[...]

to meet the tax credit.- Hide quoted text -

I know boilers have been 82% steady state running for over 110 years,
My 1954 Kewanee steam 1.200,000 Btu is 82% running and a 110 yr old
style or older, for boilers the reduced water supply is the main
advantage today, for steam they are now still only 82% rated. Better
controls, flue damper, electronic ignition and holding less water are
steam boilers only improvements. For furnaces with the tank style
exchanger I think those are less but if its clean, not way oversized,
not short cycling, if the burners are burning right 82% is my guess.
1984 isnt that long ago, we went through a energy mess in the mid 70s
and I was converting to flourescents as utility prices were going
up.Google a bit and see if you can find out what things really were 26
years ago. Your payback might be alot less than you think with a new
unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 1:46*pm, wrote:

[...]

I just looked a bit, there were condensing furnaces 26 years ago. Can
you find a Btu input-output rating, use that and take off maybe 5%,
you might be near 60, or 80.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 10:15:21 -0500, Jeff Thies
wrote:

[...]

I thought furnaces were rated on BTU *output*, not input. The input
is mentioned to calculate the efficiency.

Am I right?

Just curious.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

Steve wrote:

If the furnace is correctly sized, properly installed and
adjusted,

How exactly do you improperly install a furnace?

If you are replacing an existing furnace, one that has been running for
years in a given house and presumably giving satisfactory service, then
how possible can you remove it and "improperly" install a new one in
it's place?

What is meant by improper? That a water line is connected to the gas
input line? That the upstairs thermostat is connected to the furnace AC
power input? That the return duct and output air plenum are connected
backwards?

aluminized steel or stainless....
either will give you a good service life.

How does the correct sizing of a furnace impact on whether or not the
heat exchanger lifespan is impacted by being stainless steel or regular
steel?

90% of those (ECM motor) failures were due to incorrectly designed
and sized ductwork that caused extreme static pressures.

Would these be the same ductwork designed and installed by licensed
contractors?

Would these be the same ductwork that was original to the homes in
question - the same ductwork that somehow didn't manage to dammage or
burn out the motor in the previous furnace - presumably an AC motor?

I'm sorry, but if my 36 year-old AC motor didn't burn out because of the
size of my existing ductwork, then it's a crock of **** that the same
ductwork is the reason why a new ECM motor burns up.

Blame the ductwork. When you have to explain to the customer why his
new $4000 furnace is costing so much repair hassles, blame the ductwork.

Correct term for vsdc motors is ECM. ECM motors are a crock of
****. Best you'll save is 100 watts compared to 1/4 hp AC motor,
and less if you have 2-speed AC motor. Saving 100 watts at 10
cents/kwh is about $100 (that's 100 watts continuously for an
entire year). Now subtract the electricity used by the furnace
otherboard, and various other blowers and condensate pump. The
extra 100 watts used by AC motors are dumped into the house as
heat - which is what you need in the winter (and spring and fall
depending where you live) so it's not all wasted energy.

you need to do some more homework here.

You need to show you're a man by pointing out exactly which of my
statements above are wrong.

I'm right when I say that:

1) ECM motor uses 100 less watts when running full speed compared to 1/4
hp AC motor running at full speed.

2) The extra 100 watts used by AC motor is dumped into the house as heat
during the heating months, so it isin't exactly wasted energy from the
point of view of the home owner.

3) You can't compare the energy usage of an ECM motor running 1/4 or 1/2
speed against a single-speed AC motor. If you want to compare the costs
of multi-speed operation, then you must compare ECM with a 2-speed AC
motor, and you must correctly estimate the amount of time (total hours
per year) that the fan will be running at fractional speed.

Lifespan of ECM motor is 1/2 to 1/4 that of AC motor, and it's
4 to 8 times more expensive (upfront cost of furnace is higher,
repair costs higher). ECM motors create EM/RFI on your household
wiring, can interfere with tv and radio reception.

ECM motors have the same or greater lifespan,

Totally wrong, because you have to factor in the control or drive
electronics that's powering the motor, and when you do, you'll end up
with burned out transistors.

use half the energy to run

The efficiency of fractional horse-power ECM motors are (at best) 60%,
while a 1/4 hp PSC AC motor will have an efficiency of 40% (if running
at full speed). 1/4 horse power is about 186 watts, so an AC motor will
use about 465 watts, while an ECM motor will use 310 watts. The
difference (about 155 watts) would use 1,357 kw hours given a
continuous 1-year run time. If the total electricity cost was 15 cents
per kw hour, then that equates to $200 per year.

Now if you consider the case of a 2-speed AC motor compared with a
2-speed (or even variable-speed ECM furnace) and if you factor in that
in a typical use-case that neither motor would or could be operating for
up to 25% of the time, then the potential savings from using an ECM
motor will almost certainly drop to closer to $100 per year.

Now if you factor in that the 155 watts of extra energy being used by
the AC motor is given back to the house as heat, then you need to
determine what that equates to in terms of cubic-feet of equivalent
natural gas and subtract the cost of that amout of natural gas from your
electricty bill to get the true additional electric cost by using an AC
motor instead of an ECM motor.

While all ECM motors are capable of infinitely variable speed and can be
implimented as such by something as cheap and easy as programming code
in the controller, furnace makers charge a fortune for anything more
than simple 2-speed operation. That is another crock of **** for this
industry.

and are a whole lot quieter than PSC motors.

I could argue that a belt-driven fan with an AC motor with bushings is
quieter than a direct-drive ECM motor with ball bearings.

Only the cheapest manufactures with the cheapest models of
furnaces have issues with RFI. yes you will get what
you pay for.

Or so you think. There's no way that a home-owner (or even consumer
reports) is going to know which units put out RFI, and which units
actually give you what you pay for. Models change all the time - too
fast for independant testing and analysis to have any effect or be
useful for the buying public.

Now tell me how you're saving with an ECM motor.

The average system that I install uses 30% - 40% less energy to run.

Which equates to 155 watts as I calculated above.

So where are we?

Talking about how you need to go back to school, and get up to
speed with the new systems.

Be a man and tell me where I've said anything wrong.

2) Using cheap steel for heat exchangers compared to furnaces from 30
years ago is bad. Using stainless is good.

Stainless is good, but also much more expensive. Will the additional
cost be worth it in your location? Keep in mind that heating and
cooling systems are not built to last forever.

We're comparing 30 - 40 year-old furnace technology with conventional
furnaces. If furnaces cost proportionately more today in terms of % of
disposable income then I should expect no less durability or longevity
compared to the older furnaces. You seem to be an appologist for the
industry by indicating that we should pay more and expect less.

3) Using electronic ignition is bad comprimize from cost/savings
point of view compared to standing pilot light. No real need to
use electronic ignition in modern condensing furnace.

Please explain how this is so??

Because standing pilot lights have been used for decades and have proven
themselves to be reliable, safe, simple, and cheap.

or do you advocate removing half of the safety devices on the
furnace in favor of a standing pilot??

The pilot light and it's thermocouple switch have proven to be an
excellent design in terms of safety, reliability and durability for
residential furnaces. Do you disagree? Do you have the balls to
disagree?

I don't know of *ANY* legitmate HVAC tech that would purposly want
to remove safeties from any gas appliance.

Removing the electronic ignition and replacing it with a pilot-light and
thermocouple does not constitute "removing a safety" device. Get a grip
here.

4) Using ECM motors is also bad comprimize compared to 1/4 or
1/3 hp AC squirrel cage motor. *Actual* or *Net* energy savings
don't justify extra cost and reduced longevity.

Please explain how you come up with this.

See above. Best case savings is $200 a year, typical savings will
almost certainly be less than $100 a year.

Anyone who lives in a climate zone where they expect to use their
furnace at least 5 months out of the year will realize less than $100
savings in their combined electric and gas bill just by having a furnace
with an ECM motor. Anyone who lives in a more temperate climate zone
and runs their fan more often either alone or in conjunction with their
A/C unit will come closer to the $200 in electricity savings.

BTW, I installed a new 3ton, 15SEER heat pump system for a customer

We're talking simply about ECM motors replacing conventional PSC AC fan
motors in residential furnaces. Motors that are part of other
components (heat pumps, A/C compressors, dishwashers, clothes washers,
dryers, etc) are another matter and have different cost/benefit
arguments.

As a consumer, give me the choice of (...)

So you want to go back in time and have your energy bills doubled..

The single largest decrease in my energy bill that the furnace industry
can give me compared to what I have now comes from the 2-stage
condensing heat exchanger. Better airflow design, thinner materials,
stainless, possibly better burner design, etc. All of that comes from
better thermodynamics and materials - NOT ELECTRONICS.

The addition of electronics - particularly the electronic ignition and
ECM fan motor, adds unnecessary cost and complication to the modern
furnace with no tangible benefit to the home-owner and comes with
additional medium to long-term cost of ownership costs and device
down-time caused by component failure.

Technology is a good thing when the contractor/installer/tech
has the training, education, and experience

Screw the contractor. I want a box that will sit there and work year
after year. It's no consolation to me that a repair tech is just a
phone call away. I'll take reliability and durability any day over
repairability. Especially when it comes with lower up-front costs (no
electronics). And in this case, I'm not even sacrificing
repairability. Low tech = high repairability.

to me it sounds like your not happy because its no longer
a DIY proposition, and you can't make it work correctly.

I can install myself any furnace. That's not the point. I'm just
bitching about they choices that furnace makers are making when they
design / build them.

in case you haven't noticed, *EVERYTHING* has electronics
in it these days. The electronics make things safer, and
more energy efficient.

When you have electronic ignition, you HAVE TO HAVE an array of
electronic sensors to make it safe. Having those sensors and
electronics comes with a price - a hit to cost, durability, reliability.

When you have a standing pilot light with electro-mechanical
thermocouple and gas valve, you don't need sensors or electronics,
because it's inherently safe.

FWIW, a good quality digital control can reduce your energy bills

We're not talking about the thermost here. I can have the most
advanced, computer-controlled thermostat I want upstairs to control my
35 year-old furnace, yet still have no electronics *in* my furnace.
Understand the difference?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/4/2010 4:13 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 11:47:47 -0500, Home wrote:

[...]

Can't figure out whether you are serious or pulling our legs about
making such comprehensive and radical "modifications" to the modern high
efficiency gas furnace. I suspect that anyone following your advice
would end up with a system that (1) was substantially less efficient
than it could/should be, and (2) was unsafe to the point of probably
failing many or even most safety codes for using natural gas furnaces in
private residences.

Are you a believer in conspiracy theories that the all the manufacturers
of these furnaces got together and agreed to intentionally fill their
products with expensive, unnecessary and failure-prone components so
that they all could reap larger profits?
You would have to be. Otherwise, at least one or two of the companies
would leave out many or all the components you advise removing and
advertise that their products were equally safe, equally efficient, but
much more reliable and less expensive that their competitors that
include those components.

I don't know squat about engineering a gas furnace, but your advice just
doesn't compute with me.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

"Home Guy" wrote in message ...
Steve wrote:

I will interject my $.02 here...

How exactly do you improperly install a furnace?

By having too high of a TESP (total external static pressure.

If you are replacing an existing furnace, one that has been running for
years in a given house and presumably giving satisfactory service, then
how possible can you remove it and "improperly" install a new one in
it's place?

Older furnaces had a lower CFM rating, hence they have a higher temp rise
for a given output BTU rating. Newer equipment for effeciency's sake have
thinner heat exchangers (less metal thickness to push the heat through) that
can't tolerate the heat without cracking hence they have a higher CFM
rating, hence more TESP by trying to shove more CFM through the existing
ductwork.

Would these be the same ductwork designed and installed by licensed
contractors?

Sometimes, just go to the hvac-talk.com wall of shame and see all the bad
ductwork installations, many being a "ductopus" using flex duct.

Would these be the same ductwork that was original to the homes in
question - the same ductwork that somehow didn't manage to dammage or
burn out the motor in the previous furnace - presumably an AC motor?

Yes, and here is why. Your average PSC or split-phase induction blower
motor on high runs at a fairly constant speed (a 4 pole motor can only speed
up from its rated speed, usually 1725 RPM to just under 1800 RPM @ 60Hz).
With a centrifugal blower (squirrel cage) the torque load on the motor is
directly controlled by the amount of air flowing through it (ande vice
versa), hence as you restrict the airflow (increase the SP) say with
undersized ductwork the blower unloads. Less torque at the same speed means
less HP (HP=torque in ft-lbs x RPM / 5252) hence less motor watts. An
underloaded motor is less effecient but lasts longer. Too little TESP on a
system with an induction motor can actually overload the motor, hence why
old systems that had belt drive blowers usually has a variable pitch sheave
on the motor. The belt ratio hence wheel speed was adjusted to run the
motor at full load with a new system. As the ductwork and/or filter got
dirty the TESP went up and the motor unloaded some.

Now here is where it gets tricky, ECMs as used on indoor blowers are
constant torque NOT constant speed. The shaft torque is held constant hence
the airflow is held mostly constant. Increase the TESP on these systems and
the blower speeds up either till the torque/airflow goes back to rated or
till the motor hits its top speed limit. More RPM X same torque / 5252 =
More HP = more watts. More watts x same airflow means hotter electronics
hence shorter life. Add in a plugged filter and the poor little motor runs
its little heart out at max speed with little cooling airflow till it burns
up.

I'm sorry, but if my 36 year-old AC motor didn't burn out because of the
size of my existing ductwork, then it's a crock of **** that the same
ductwork is the reason why a new ECM motor burns up.

Explained above.

Blame the ductwork. When you have to explain to the customer why his
new $4000 furnace is costing so much repair hassles, blame the ductwork.

You need to show you're a man by pointing out exactly which of my
statements above are wrong.

I'm right when I say that:

1) ECM motor uses 100 less watts when running full speed compared to 1/4
hp AC motor running at full speed.

As said this depends on TESP. At high TESP the ECM can use more watts than
the PSC.

2) The extra 100 watts used by AC motor is dumped into the house as heat
during the heating months, so it isin't exactly wasted energy from the
point of view of the home owner.

Electric resistance heat is usually more expensive than gas heat and in the
summer it is just more sensible heat load on the evaporator hence more watts
still loses.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Dec 6, 4:06*pm, "Daniel who wants to know" wrote:
"Home Guy" wrote in ....
Steve wrote:

I will interject my $.02 here...

[...]

A while back I came across a study done on the savings of ECM blowers
in residential HVAC
applications segmented by geographic regions/climates. One key result
of that study, which
I didn't expect and I believe is reflected in what you say, is that
how much energy one saves
depends to a large extent on the duct work. The greatest savings came
from ideal
duct work, ie lowest pressure. Next was good duct work, which also
used significantly
less savings. Duct work they classified as typical still got
savings, but much more modest,
maybe 15- 20% in electricity cost. However if you have poor ducting
there can be no savings
or even a net loss of up to I think about 10%. The energy savings
also obviously depends on the climate.

But I think HomeGuy has a vaild point, at least to some extent.
Whether you can recover enough
in energy savings on an ECM versus the increased upfront cost as well
as the real potential for
higher repair bills is questionable. I've seen horror stories here
of the ECM electronics fried
by power surges for example and a $600 bill But I've never heard of
a conventional furnace blower
failing from a power surge. Also, I think you'd agree that if
improper duct sizing can screw it an cause it to fail, it's entirely
possible that some contractors who don't know what they are doing will
result in the motor failing
at some point. And if that point is after the warranty is up, then
you're screwed.

[...]

This same faulty logic is frequently applied to water heaters with
claims that the standby
losses from storage tank models helps heat the house. For some
reason, they completely
forget that for most of us with AC, that gain turns into a loss in the
summer.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Dec 6, 4:22*pm, wrote:
On Dec 6, 4:06*pm, "Daniel who wants to know" wrote:

"Home Guy" wrote in ...
Steve wrote:

I will interject my $.02 here...

[...]

summer.- Hide quoted text -

If a power surge fried the blower it would have got the control panel
first. With any new unit you should be doubly sure its surge protected
and well grounded since you will have alot of electronics. When I got
my install they offered to somehow test my duct airflow, thats where
shopping for the right pro is important. I heard those motors were
redesigned a few years ago to separate the electronics from the heat
of the motor, since the electronics were what failed and now the motor
and design has finaly matured.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac

On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 10:30:00 -0500, Home Guy wrote:

Steve wrote:

snip
How exactly do you improperly install a furnace?

snip

90% of those (ECM motor) failures were due to incorrectly designed
and sized ductwork that caused extreme static pressures.

Would these be the same ductwork designed and installed by licensed
contractors?

Would these be the same ductwork that was original to the homes in
question - the same ductwork that somehow didn't manage to dammage or
burn out the motor in the previous furnace - presumably an AC motor?

It is quite possible. A belt drive blower could put up with an awfull
lot

I'm sorry, but if my 36 year-old AC motor didn't burn out because of the
size of my existing ductwork, then it's a crock of **** that the same
ductwork is the reason why a new ECM motor burns up.

Blame the ductwork. When you have to explain to the customer why his
new $4000 furnace is costing so much repair hassles, blame the ductwork.

Not necessarily - but if the installer does not do the temperature
rize test and properly set the motor speed, you could get a failure
due to improper installation.

Correct term for vsdc motors is ECM. ECM motors are a crock of
****. Best you'll save is 100 watts compared to 1/4 hp AC motor,
and less if you have 2-speed AC motor. Saving 100 watts at 10
cents/kwh is about $100 (that's 100 watts continuously for an
entire year). Now subtract the electricity used by the furnace
otherboard, and various other blowers and condensate pump. The
extra 100 watts used by AC motors are dumped into the house as
heat - which is what you need in the winter (and spring and fall
depending where you live) so it's not all wasted energy.

You underestimate the difference in efficiency between a standard
induction motor and an electronically commutated DC motor,
PARTICULARLY with multi-speed AC motors.
At lower speeds ECMs can save over 60% of the electricity used by PSC
motors.
For example, in low speed circulation a typical PSC furnace motor will
use 350 to 500 Watts while an ECM will use 75 - 125 W.

You need to read the entire study at:
http://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/obj/irc/do.../nrcc38443.pdf,
but an interesting part is the following - with the same airflow,

"The power use of the ECM and the PSC motor were measured in one-time
tests using a Nanovip power meter. The ECM used 16.5 Watts in
circulation speed and 284 W in heating speed, while the PSC motor used
350 W in circulation and 490 W in heating. Thus, the ECM used 58% as
much as the PSC motor in heating speed, but only 5% as much in
circulation. The ECMs flow rate was almost identical to the PSCs in
heating speed, and was 47% of the PSCs in circulation speed."

you need to do some more homework here.

Ditto
You need to show you're a man by pointing out exactly which of my
statements above are wrong.

I'm right when I say that:

1) ECM motor uses 100 less watts when running full speed compared to 1/4
hp AC motor running at full speed.

The National Research Council study quoted shows 206 watts difference
on high speed, and 330 watts less on low speed.

2) The extra 100 watts used by AC motor is dumped into the house as heat
during the heating months, so it isin't exactly wasted energy from the
point of view of the home owner.

Except when running the AC - and gas is cheaper than electricity for
heating.
3) You can't compare the energy usage of an ECM motor running 1/4 or 1/2
speed against a single-speed AC motor. If you want to compare the costs
of multi-speed operation, then you must compare ECM with a 2-speed AC
motor, and you must correctly estimate the amount of time (total hours
per year) that the fan will be running at fractional speed.

Or do as the National Research Council did, read the study - very
comprehensive testing.
Lifespan of ECM motor is 1/2 to 1/4 that of AC motor, and it's
4 to 8 times more expensive (upfront cost of furnace is higher,
repair costs higher). ECM motors create EM/RFI on your household
wiring, can interfere with tv and radio reception.

ECM motors have the same or greater lifespan,

Totally wrong, because you have to factor in the control or drive
electronics that's powering the motor, and when you do, you'll end up
with burned out transistors.

Actually, they are finding the ECM to last at least as long as the AC
motor in many tests. (in part because they run cooler).
The motor control electronics are the least troublesom of all the
controls on modern furnaces.
SNIP

The pilot light and it's thermocouple switch have proven to be an
excellent design in terms of safety, reliability and durability for
residential furnaces. Do you disagree? Do you have the balls to
disagree?

I do.
I've replaced too many thermocouples on standing pilot furnaces - and
NO electonic ignitors so far on the new furnaces. Average lifespan of
my thermocouples has been less than 7 years (5 in 22 years on my own
furnace, and 5 in 7 years on my friend's gas boiler) I'm on #3 on my
water heater as well.
This is, I believe, year 8 on the electronic ignition furnace.

SNIP

See above. Best case savings is $200 a year, typical savings will
almost certainly be less than $100 a year.

Anyone who lives in a climate zone where they expect to use their
furnace at least 5 months out of the year will realize less than $100
savings in their combined electric and gas bill just by having a furnace
with an ECM motor. Anyone who lives in a more temperate climate zone
and runs their fan more often either alone or in conjunction with their
A/C unit will come closer to the $200 in electricity savings.

The blower in my furnace runs at low speed 100% of the time that the
furnace is not running on high for heat or a/c. (for air cleaner and
overall comfort)
If the furnace NEVER kicked on, the ECM saves me 2890kwh per year.
(330 watts X 24 hrs/day X 365=2890800 wh).That's $232 at $0.08 per
kwh. and that's not counting the savings when the furnace is actually
running. And the actual cost of electricity is more than $0.08/kwh
here when you add in the distribution charges and everything else, and
throw on 13% HST

BTW, I installed a new 3ton, 15SEER heat pump system for a customer

We're talking simply about ECM motors replacing conventional PSC AC fan
motors in residential furnaces. Motors that are part of other
components (heat pumps, A/C compressors, dishwashers, clothes washers,
dryers, etc) are another matter and have different cost/benefit
arguments.

As a consumer, give me the choice of (...)

So you want to go back in time and have your energy bills doubled..

The single largest decrease in my energy bill that the furnace industry
can give me compared to what I have now comes from the 2-stage
condensing heat exchanger. Better airflow design, thinner materials,
stainless, possibly better burner design, etc. All of that comes from
better thermodynamics and materials - NOT ELECTRONICS.

Actually, IF the condensing furnace is 7% more efficient than the
equivalent non-condensing furnace, (97 vs 90) the fuel savings will be
about 8%. With my total annual gas bill of $700 (part of which is my
water heater) my maximum total gas savings would be less than $56 per
year.
Not a very attractive payback, particularly if I end up replacing the
secondary heat exchanger in 10 years.

SNIP
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The ones I've looked at are rated as BTU input, primarily because they have a
fixed operating point (orifice sizes, pressures, etc.) and the efficiency
isn't well regulated. The burner efficiency can be measured and the BTU
output calculated, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 12:01:04 -0500, Peter wrote:

Can't figure out whether you are serious or pulling our legs about
making such comprehensive and radical "modifications" to the modern high
efficiency gas furnace

No, my furnace is stock modern.
I was just telling Home Guy what it would take to make a modern
furnace work like his old one.

--Vic