Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Furnace recommendations

I am in need of a new furnace for a rental property. The property is a
small cape, and the size of the furnace needed is 85K BTU, and it uses
oil.

I'm told by friends that the brand of furnace is less important than
the burner, and that as long as it has a Beckett burner all will be
well.

Can anyone recommend a good furnace with no frills, a Beckett burner,
and an efficiency rating around 85% that a non-licensed consumer can
purchase at a discount warehouse. Thanks...

Posted to alt.home.repair

This review site recommends Thermo Pride OH Series.
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/ho...ces/index.html

"lanman" wrote in message
I am in need of a new furnace for a rental property. The property is a
small cape, and the size of the furnace needed is 85K BTU, and it uses
oil.

I'm told by friends that the brand of furnace is less important than
the burner, and that as long as it has a Beckett burner all will be
well.

Can anyone recommend a good furnace with no frills, a Beckett burner,
and an efficiency rating around 85% that a non-licensed consumer can
purchase at a discount warehouse. Thanks...

Provider ----
http://www.pronews.com offers corporate packages that have access to
100,000+ newsgroups

Posted to alt.home.repair

layman wrote:

I am in need of a new furnace for a rental property. The property is a
small cape, and the size of the furnace needed is 85K BTU, and it uses
oil.

I'm told by friends that the brand of furnace is less important than
the burner, and that as long as it has a Beckett burner all will be
well.

Can anyone recommend a good furnace with no frills, a Beckett burner,
and an efficiency rating around 85% that a non-licensed consumer can
purchase at a discount warehouse. Thanks...

Both of the furnaces in my home are Thermopride (forced hot air) with
Beckett oil burners. My water heaters also use Beckett oil burners and
I've had no problem with any of them. The Honeywell controllers are
another story though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Boden wrote:

-snip-
Both of the furnaces in my home are Thermopride (forced hot air) with
Beckett oil burners.

I'm not the OP- but I'm sort of looking for a furnace. Since you're
the second one to say Thermopride, I had to go look. I haven't
looked at furnaces for 30 yrs- so I was impressed with the idea of a
2-stage. Then I look at the specs and they confused me.
http://www.thermopride.com/OH6_2Stage.cfm#spec

At " low capacity" it has 'low fire' and 'high fire' at 70k & 85k BTU-
and at 'high capacity' it has 'low fire' and 'high fire' at 85k & 106k
BTU.

Is the low/high capacity different set-ups [just a nozzle &
adjustment?] - or does it output all those different BTUs from the
factory?

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 09:29:13 -0400, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

"lanman" wrote in message
.. .
I am in need of a new furnace for a rental property. The property is a
small cape, and the size of the furnace needed is 85K BTU, and it uses
oil.

I'm told by friends that the brand of furnace is less important than
the burner, and that as long as it has a Beckett burner all will be
well.

Can anyone recommend a good furnace with no frills, a Beckett burner,
and an efficiency rating around 85% that a non-licensed consumer can
purchase at a discount warehouse. Thanks...

Provider ----
http://www.pronews.com offers corporate packages that have access to
100,000+ newsgroups

I will suggest you are trying to make the wrong decision. The decision
you should be making is the contractor who will put it in.

First the contractor should consider the sizing and not relay on what is
there. They also should be able to consider local conditions and help you
choose a brand and model that will fit your needs far better than we can.
If you have a good tech, they will chose good equipment.

While this may be good advice, it's slanted towards what's best for
the installer, not the customer. "Trust me" is hard to do with so many
unscrupulous contractors running loose. Even an honest contractor may
select something with a higher profit margin or minimum features
allowing for easier maintenance. I'd prefer to educate myself on
what's available, solicit advice from disinterested parties, and make
an informed decision.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 23:14:38 -0400, Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ?
wrote:

lanman wrote:
I am in need of a new furnace for a rental property. The property is a
small cape, and the size of the furnace needed is 85K BTU, and it uses
oil.

I'm told by friends that the brand of furnace is less important than
the burner, and that as long as it has a Beckett burner all will be
well.

Can anyone recommend a good furnace with no frills, a Beckett burner,
and an efficiency rating around 85% that a non-licensed consumer can
purchase at a discount warehouse. Thanks...

Utica boilers. Beckett is not the only burner maker others are just as
good like Wayne, Miller.

Monitor heaters are nice too. Propane furnaces are nice and quiet.

From the conversations I've had thus far with people in the HVAC
business, Beckett is a favorite with many. Why? Simplicity,
durability, ease of maintenance, and availability of parts. Since I
need a furnace for a rental property, and since durability and easy
maintenance are the most important criteria for me, Beckett is
currently at the top of my list until someone convinces me of
something better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 31, 8:25*pm, lanman wrote:
I am in need of a new furnace for a rental property. The property is a
small cape, and the size of the furnace needed is 85K BTU, and it uses
oil.

I'm told by friends that the brand of furnace is less important than
the burner, and that as long as it has a Beckett burner all will be
well.

Can anyone recommend a good furnace with no frills, a Beckett burner,
and an efficiency rating around 85% that a non-licensed consumer can
purchase at a discount warehouse. Thanks...

A regular furnace will be near a max of 83% not 85% efficient,, a
condensing unit will be 92-96%, it will allow you to raise rents
Quicker. Tenants move if not happy. .
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Boden wrote:

-snip-

Both of the furnaces in my home are Thermopride (forced hot air) with
Beckett oil burners.

I'm not the OP- but I'm sort of looking for a furnace. Since you're
the second one to say Thermopride, I had to go look. I haven't
looked at furnaces for 30 yrs- so I was impressed with the idea of a
2-stage. Then I look at the specs and they confused me.
http://www.thermopride.com/OH6_2Stage.cfm#spec

At " low capacity" it has 'low fire' and 'high fire' at 70k & 85k BTU-
and at 'high capacity' it has 'low fire' and 'high fire' at 85k & 106k
BTU.

Is the low/high capacity different set-ups [just a nozzle &
adjustment?] - or does it output all those different BTUs from the
factory?

Jim

I don't know but suspect that these are accomplished by changing the
nozzle. Two-stage furnaces today make a lot of sense.

My furnaces are both 175K BTU/hr units and I run them only at the high
fire level with fairly high air flow rates so that the output air is
maintained at 140 F.

These furnaces were installed 15 years ago and have been trouble free.
The initial problems that I had were due to an installer and engineer
who made numerous mistakes designing the multi-zone control system.

Boden
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 16:42:38 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

On Mar 31, 8:25*pm, lanman wrote:
I am in need of a new furnace for a rental property. The property is a
small cape, and the size of the furnace needed is 85K BTU, and it uses
oil.

I'm told by friends that the brand of furnace is less important than
the burner, and that as long as it has a Beckett burner all will be
well.

Can anyone recommend a good furnace with no frills, a Beckett burner,
and an efficiency rating around 85% that a non-licensed consumer can
purchase at a discount warehouse. Thanks...

A regular furnace will be near a max of 83% not 85% efficient,, a
condensing unit will be 92-96%, it will allow you to raise rents
Quicker. Tenants move if not happy. .

That's a good point. All things being equal, what is the cost
difference in the monthly bill for an 83% efficient furnace vs. a 92%
efficient furnace?
Posted to alt.home.repair

lanman wrote:

-snip-
That's a good point. All things being equal, what is the cost
difference in the monthly bill for an 83% efficient furnace vs. a 92%
efficient furnace?

I'm probably missing a step- but roughly 9%.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 07:54:44 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

lanman wrote:

-snip-
That's a good point. All things being equal, what is the cost
difference in the monthly bill for an 83% efficient furnace vs. a 92%
efficient furnace?

I'm probably missing a step- but roughly 9%.

Jim

LOL.

Is it really that straightforward, e.g., a $100 bill would be $91 with
the better furnace?

Posted to alt.home.repair

lanman wrote:

On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 07:54:44 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

lanman wrote:

-snip-

That's a good point. All things being equal, what is the cost
difference in the monthly bill for an 83% efficient furnace vs. a 92%
efficient furnace?

I'm probably missing a step- but roughly 9%.

Jim

LOL.

Is it really that straightforward, e.g., a $100 bill would be $91 with
the better furnace?

Hmmm,
Ultra high efficiency furnace tends to give more trouble. If you want
it, get an extra warranty coverage specially for variable speed ECM DC
motor. Saving is for the LONG term living there for long time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 3, 8:34*am, lanman wrote:
On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 07:54:44 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

lanman wrote:

-snip-
That's a good point. All things being equal, what is the cost
difference in the monthly bill for an 83% efficient furnace vs. a 92%
efficient furnace?

I'm probably missing a step- but roughly 9%.

Jim

LOL.

Is it really that straightforward, e.g., a $100 bill would be $91 with
the better furnace?

Is it really that straightforward, e.g., a $100 bill would be $91
with the better furnace?

You have to consider TCO - Total Cost of Ownership.

Even if it was as easy as $91 vs $100, if you paid more for the higher
efficiency furnace, you have to factor in your payback period at,
let's say, $9 a month. The service calls and parts might be more
expensive also, so you need to look into the MTBF - Mean Time Between
Failure - numbers and average repair costs. In many cases, the more
complex a unit is, the higher the cost to maintain (or repair) it.

Since it's a rental, you have some other things to consider...

If the tenants pay for the heat, then you'll never see the payback for
the more efficient furnace, but you will be responsible for the
(possibly) higher upfront and on-going maintenance costs.

Just some things to factor in...

Old Lennox Furnace - Model GH6 100T (maybe thermostat maybe furnace problem) jack Home Repair 5 November 9th 08 02:22 PM
new gas furnace recommendations needed badgolferman Home Repair 22 February 18th 07 01:06 AM
Thick accordion-type furnace filters - can I retrofit furnace for standard? bryanska Home Ownership 1 August 9th 05 09:24 PM
New Furnace Recommendations Charlie S. Home Repair 12 July 16th 05 10:10 PM
Recommendations on Home Furnace Humidifier Leor Amikam Home Repair 2 December 13th 04 02:25 AM