Posted to alt.home.repair
lanman lanman is offline

Default Furnace recommendations

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 09:29:13 -0400, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

"lanman" wrote in message
.. .
I am in need of a new furnace for a rental property. The property is a
small cape, and the size of the furnace needed is 85K BTU, and it uses
oil.

I'm told by friends that the brand of furnace is less important than
the burner, and that as long as it has a Beckett burner all will be
well.

Can anyone recommend a good furnace with no frills, a Beckett burner,
and an efficiency rating around 85% that a non-licensed consumer can
purchase at a discount warehouse. Thanks...

Provider ----
http://www.pronews.com offers corporate packages that have access to
100,000+ newsgroups

I will suggest you are trying to make the wrong decision. The decision
you should be making is the contractor who will put it in.

First the contractor should consider the sizing and not relay on what is
there. They also should be able to consider local conditions and help you
choose a brand and model that will fit your needs far better than we can.
If you have a good tech, they will chose good equipment.

While this may be good advice, it's slanted towards what's best for
the installer, not the customer. "Trust me" is hard to do with so many
unscrupulous contractors running loose. Even an honest contractor may
select something with a higher profit margin or minimum features
allowing for easier maintenance. I'd prefer to educate myself on
what's available, solicit advice from disinterested parties, and make
an informed decision.