Posted to alt.home.repair
boden boden is offline

Default Furnace recommendations

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Boden wrote:

-snip-

Both of the furnaces in my home are Thermopride (forced hot air) with
Beckett oil burners.

I'm not the OP- but I'm sort of looking for a furnace. Since you're
the second one to say Thermopride, I had to go look. I haven't
looked at furnaces for 30 yrs- so I was impressed with the idea of a
2-stage. Then I look at the specs and they confused me.
http://www.thermopride.com/OH6_2Stage.cfm#spec

At " low capacity" it has 'low fire' and 'high fire' at 70k & 85k BTU-
and at 'high capacity' it has 'low fire' and 'high fire' at 85k & 106k
BTU.

Is the low/high capacity different set-ups [just a nozzle &
adjustment?] - or does it output all those different BTUs from the
factory?

Jim

I don't know but suspect that these are accomplished by changing the
nozzle. Two-stage furnaces today make a lot of sense.

My furnaces are both 175K BTU/hr units and I run them only at the high
fire level with fairly high air flow rates so that the output air is
maintained at 140 F.

These furnaces were installed 15 years ago and have been trouble free.
The initial problems that I had were due to an installer and engineer
who made numerous mistakes designing the multi-zone control system.

Boden