Charlie S.

Default New Furnace Recommendations

I am looking for advice on how to go about buying and finding an installer
for a new gas furnace.

We've had our furnace for 40+ years. This past winter a repair man
recommended we get a new furnace during the summer as this one has seen
better days. If it were my house I would probably try to stick it out for
another year. However, my elderly father doesn't want to be stuck in the
middle of winter without heat. So, he wants to replace it. He's kept it
pretty well maintained over the years. Some of the parts are not that old.
Actually, I don't think the furnace is that old. But, that's what he tells
me.

He owns an old Victorian-styled home with 8 large rooms. Overall it's not
very well insulated. He would like to have dual zoned heating... depending
on cost. The house only has one zone right now. Is that a big deal to put
in?

I know practically nothing about plumbing. Thus, I would hire someone to do
all the work from removal to installation. (Although, if I could save a
$200 or more removing this unit, I probably could get a friend of mine help
me if needed. I would have to take into consideration the weight. I would
imagine these units are probably very heavy to move.)

My question is where should I begin looking for a new furnace and plumber to
do the work?

I did a Google search and came up with this site

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/ho...home/furnaces/
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/ho...ory.html#intro

Seems one of the top rated units is the Rheem Classic 90 Plus with Comfort
Control with an estimated installed cost of $3,000. We live in a cold
climate so a high efficiency unit seem like it would make more sense.
Anyone have any experience with these new styled units? Are they worth the
extra $$$

They do have some good general advice in this article. (See below)

"Because of the currently tightly regulated market, getting a quality
furnace is much easier. Getting the right contractor may be more difficult.
Experts stress again and again the importance of taking your time to find a
good HVAC professional. The best way to start is to ask friends and
neighbors for references, ask your utility company for recommendations, or
start in the phone book. Contractors should be licensed and have appropriate
insurance, liability and workman's comp paperwork. You will need a permit
before work is started, and most contractors will procure this for you."

TURTLE

"Charlie S." wrote in message
[...]

This is Turtle.

I could not disarguee with a Rheem Class 90 but the most important thing of all
is a Good installer.

I would want a Mickey mouse brand if it was installed by a Good installer. I
would not want the best brand made on this earth installed by a poor installer.

TURTLE

m Ransley

Consumer Reports did a pole on reliability or incidence of repairs,
worth reading. Get bids to have the whole job done. For 200 removing it
yourself is not a good idea especialy messing with gas lines etc. Get
bids, get referrals. Be sure you also get a written load calculation
done , oversizing is a common mistake. The installer is the key to a
good job. In a cold area look to 93-94.5% efficient units they should
cut your bills in half.

Charlie S.

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Consumer Reports did a pole on reliability or incidence of repairs,
worth reading. Get bids to have the whole job done. For 200 removing it
yourself is not a good idea especialy messing with gas lines etc. Get
bids, get referrals. Be sure you also get a written load calculation
done , oversizing is a common mistake. The installer is the key to a
good job. In a cold area look to 93-94.5% efficient units they should
cut your bills in half.

You make sense about having a knowledgeable person doing this work. I got a
shock today just putting in a stove switch.

I'm going to read the Consumer Reports article.

Do you know if it's lots of work to convert a forced hot water system to a
two zone system?

m Ransley

Hot water heat is a boiler not a furnace, Consumer Reports does not even
touch boiler ratings. For radiators simply turn down the valve. zoning
can be costly with new piping, you need a few boiler pros out. For
boiler help go to www.heatinghelp.com and ask at "the wall"

HeatMan

"Charlie S." wrote in message

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Consumer Reports did a pole on reliability or incidence of repairs,
worth reading. Get bids to have the whole job done. For 200 removing it
yourself is not a good idea especialy messing with gas lines etc. Get
bids, get referrals. Be sure you also get a written load calculation
done , oversizing is a common mistake. The installer is the key to a
good job. In a cold area look to 93-94.5% efficient units they should
cut your bills in half.

You make sense about having a knowledgeable person doing this work. I got

shock today just putting in a stove switch.

I'm going to read the Consumer Reports article.

Do you know if it's lots of work to convert a forced hot water system to a
two zone system?

It all depends on how the system is laid out....

Charlie S.

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Hot water heat is a boiler not a furnace, Consumer Reports does not even
touch boiler ratings. For radiators simply turn down the valve. zoning
can be costly with new piping, you need a few boiler pros out. For
boiler help go to www.heatinghelp.com and ask at "the wall"

Thanks, I thought they were all the same thing.

I will check out the site. Seems everyone is in agreement about the need
for pros when in comes to heating systems. Originally, I was thinking of
hiring someone who I know could do the job. But I;m leary as to their
expertise in total heating systems. Will go with a pro first.

Charlie S.

"HeatMan" wrote in message
.. .

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Consumer Reports did a pole on reliability or incidence of repairs,
worth reading. Get bids to have the whole job done. For 200 removing it
yourself is not a good idea especialy messing with gas lines etc. Get
bids, get referrals. Be sure you also get a written load calculation
done , oversizing is a common mistake. The installer is the key to a
good job. In a cold area look to 93-94.5% efficient units they should
cut your bills in half.

You make sense about having a knowledgeable person doing this work. I
got

shock today just putting in a stove switch.

I'm going to read the Consumer Reports article.

Do you know if it's lots of work to convert a forced hot water system to
two zone system?

It all depends on how the system is laid out....

I may bring in a couple people and get their opinions. Thanks!

Steve Stone

I live in south east New York, not to far from the Delaware River.
I had my 15 year old oil fired boiler replaced last September.
I picked a HVAC guy based on recommendations of trusted friends.
I also looked into other sources like large local HVAC firms and local
fuel oil suppliers. Many were either way over priced or couldn't be
bothered returning my calls.

The owner / operator guy got my work. He promptly returned my phone
call, answered all questions, listened and reviewed my needs allowing me
to choose from what he narrowed down to a couple of options.
He offered a fair price for professional work. He provided quality name
brand hardware. He came on time and finished the job on time. He had one
problem with a pressure gauge and was back the next day with a new
replacement. I will give him my Central Air maint work and anything else
I don't feel comfortable doing myself. I've also recommended him to
others.

Steve
HeatMan

"Steve Stone" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

And I almost guarantee he'l like that last line.
Steve

Curly Sue

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 01:43:18 GMT, Steve Stone
wrote:

[...]

I'm going to have to deal with replacing my oil-fueled boiler (steam
heat) soon. I'd like to be as educated as possible before that. If
you don't mind, what were some of the options/considerations in
choosing a boiler (aside from BTUs) and what are the "name brands?"
Did you have an on-demand hot water system with your boiler?

Thanks.

Sue(tm)
HeatMan

wrote:

[...]

Sue, I'd worry more about the installer than the brand of boiler.

Did you have an on-demand hot water system with your boiler?

Do you mean a tankless WH?

You may want to go to the Wall for hot water heat and steam heat questions.

http://forums.invision.net/Main.cfm?CFApp=2

Curly Sue

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 18:59:50 -0400, "HeatMan"
wrote:

"Curly Sue" wrote in message

snip
I'm going to have to deal with replacing my oil-fueled boiler (steam
heat) soon. I'd like to be as educated as possible before that. If
you don't mind, what were some of the options/considerations in
choosing a boiler (aside from BTUs) and what are the "name brands?"

Sue, I'd worry more about the installer than the brand of boiler.

Did you have an on-demand hot water system with your boiler?

Do you mean a tankless WH?

Yes. I have an oil boiler for steam system and my hot water comes off
of that. No tank. It works pretty well.

You may want to go to the Wall for hot water heat and steam heat questions.

http://forums.invision.net/Main.cfm?CFApp=2

Thanks, I'll monitor what's going on there for a while. I have time
(I hope :).

Sue(tm)