torque

Default Furnace Problem...HELP!

My furnace (believe it's a Rheem. Not in front of it so I cant recall
exactly) is really acting strange. When the thermostat calls for
heat, it will show that the system is running, but ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
happens at the furnace. When I go to look in the furnace at the
blinking lights, it tells me that the problem is at the pressure
control switch. I've been getting by this problem by wiggling the two
wires that run to the pressure control switch. Once I wiggle the
wires, the furnace begins it tests, fires up the burners and runs
fine. It will do this for a few cycles and then eventually, the
thermostat will call for heat after the furnace has been off and then,
all over again, nothing happens. Sometimes the furnace will run all
day or days with no problems and then other times it will only run for
few cycles. The last few nights, I've had to get up in the middle of
the night and do the "wire wiggle" because I woke up to a freezing
house!!

I've read that maybe there could be blockage in the flue, but wouldn't
the furnace at least begin running to test for this and turn off after
a few seconds once it determines the flue path is not clear? It seems
that if the process begins with the pressure control switch testing
for proper pressure and making sure the flue is clear, the furnace
would at least start up. The problem is that NOTHING happens when the
thermostat calls for heat. It's as if the furnace is off. As I
stated, once I wiggle the wires to the pressure control switch, the
furnace fires up and runs fine.

Maybe I've answered my own question: replace the pressure control
switch. Has any ever had this problem? Can anyone with experience
give me an idea what's wrong? Please give me your thoughts.
TURTLE

"torque" wrote in message
om...
[...]

This is Turtle.

Sure sounds like a fan switch to me.

here is possiblitys to look at :

New fan switch for the diafram is sticking.
Water or carbon in the tube coming to it.
You need to hire a wire wigglier to wiggle it for you at nite.
Call a Service company to check it out and maybe change the Fan Prover
Switch / Fan Switch.

TURTLE

HeatMan

"torque" wrote in message
om...
[...]

My suggestion: Call a pro.

alt-hvac Moderated

Hey, sounds like he needs the autowhacker?

How about pull the wire off (assuming it has a press on plug) adn then sand
the terminals, and lightly grease them. Noalox is better yet.

--

Christopher A. Young
Join Alt-Hvac Moderated

"torque" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Tekkie

alt-hvac Moderated posted for all of us....

Hey, sounds like he needs the autowhacker?

How about pull the wire off (assuming it has a press on plug) adn then sand
the terminals, and lightly grease them. Noalox is better yet.

Oh man, when are you gonna stop? Thar she blooooooows!
--
Tekkie

CBhvac

"torque" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Let me ask you one question...

WHY in hell are you playing with a unit that could....thats could...kill you
since its telling you something MIGHT be wrong?

I've read that maybe there could be blockage in the flue, but wouldn't
the furnace at least begin running to test for this and turn off after
a few seconds once it determines the flue path is not clear? It seems
that if the process begins with the pressure control switch testing
for proper pressure and making sure the flue is clear, the furnace
would at least start up. The problem is that NOTHING happens when the
thermostat calls for heat. It's as if the furnace is off. As I
stated, once I wiggle the wires to the pressure control switch, the
furnace fires up and runs fine.

Maybe I've answered my own question: replace the pressure control
switch. Has any ever had this problem? Can anyone with experience
give me an idea what's wrong? Please give me your thoughts.

My thoughts are as always.
You have proven you dont know what you are doing. You didnt even know what
kind of furnace you have. If you dont know, neither do we.
Call someone that can properly diagnose it, and even if it turns out to be
very simple, you will have the piece of mind knowing its been looked at by
someone that has some idea what is wrong....and not some wild assed guess.