Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Thies Jeff Thies is offline

Default New gas furnace/AC recommendations?

On 12/4/2010 9:14 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
hammer, turn a wrench and wire a branch circuit, then you most
certainly
can connect a few wires and bend some sheet metal and get a furnace
installed, and most of the A/C as well (assuming you need a new A/C
unit).

I hope you're right, because that's my current plan. I'm out of work
again, except for a little bit on a maintenance project, and I have
more time than money. Plus if I actually have heat and AC when I'm
done, it will be very satisfying. (I'm going to hire someone to
remove the current freon, and come back later and adjust the furnace,
and connect and top off the AC.)

Not recommending that you do this, but licences to buy Freon aren't hard
to come by. Neither is the equipment to recycle and install, from pawn
shops. It is a bit of money so economics run against it. There is
"science" behind loading the correct amount of freon, so make sure you
understand that clearly. Hiring this out is a good plan.

CY: Wishing you luck. Most HVAC guys want to do the whole process.

Find someone who owns a number of houses (or a real estate agent you
trust) and ask who they use. It will be someone used to doing the task
at hand rather than everything, and for a better price. Don't go the big
company route unless you need the reassurance, there are a number of
competent hungry hands out there. Do it at their convenience, don't pay
up front and don't be a pain.

Jeff