Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New gas furnace/AC recommendations?

There is a limit how creative furnace makers can get. The same basic
operating principles are used in all brands.

My experience has been to avoid Sears, and Trane. They use off
standard parts, and it's hard to get parts for them. Except to go to
Sears or Trane.

Goodman is the "discount" brand at my parts house. They have fairly
standard parts, and are inexpensive to repair. I've heaed that Goodman
is reasonable quality. The money you save on equipment costs is
signifigant.

Many folks have written that the installation is the important part.
Ask your friends and coworkers who they use. Call the company, and
have them come out for estimate. Avoid companies that manipulate,
pressure, or try to rush you into a quick decision.

Since the new system will be more energy efficient, the company may
reccomend a smaller system. It is very possible that the last company
over sized the equipment. So, the new sytem may very possibly be less
BTU and fewer tons. Many times, a smaller system will provide a lot
better comfort. The old AC may have a name plate of 4.5 tons, but
might actually be delivering 3 tons of cooling. So, a smaller system
may be needed.

Features. I'd ask for a whole house humidifier. My old boss installed
Aprilaire. Pipe the water from the hot side of the water heater, about
six or ten inches from the top of the WH. Put the outdoor AC unit on
the shade side of the house. Make sure the access doors face open
space, so the future techs can get at the parts. The optional BIG air
filter like a Spacegard is a good idea. They will probably replace the
thermostat, and might run new stat wires. A furnace and AC install
takes at least a full day for two guys working together. Might run
into two days. You may need electric space heater for while the guys
are working.

Having been a HVAC installer..... Please be sure to tell the guys to
use the bathroom as needed. And put out some VERY light food for them.
Cheese and crackers and soda pop or coffee. They will really totally
appreciate being fed. Smile a lot. Ask an occasional question. Be
generous with your praise (try not to sound like a total suck up; it's
a balancing act.) Lay down some old carpet between the door and the
furnace, so they can wear boots in and out, and not worry about your
clean floor. broken down cardboard boxes are OK, also. Or carpet
runners.

It's a good idea to have one or two adults home, just as a courtesy.
To answer questions, and such. They will appreciate that you are not
going to leave the house open and then accuse them of stealing the
family jewels. It's a balancing act to be there, but not be in the
way. Park your car on the street, and tell them they are expected to
park in the driveway. They will want to get the truck as close to your
cellar door as they can.

You can expect to see a pile of old equipment, and they should haul it
away as the job completes. As they rework the gas pipe, you may smell
the natural gas smell. It's OK to remind them "I smell natural gas..."
and they will reassure you that they are working on the pipes. The new
furnace has some protectant on the heat exchanger. When they light the
furnace, it will stink for an hour or so, as the heat exchanger burns
off the protectant. You may need to open the windows. This is a one
time event -- and should only stink for a short while.

AC systems behave totally diffferently in the cold weather. They
SHOULD come back when the weather warms up, and recheck the AC. Being
cold out, it's not possible to totally be sure the AC is working
correctly. The courtesy check in the spring should be included in the
install price. Please do not run the AC until after the courtesy
check. They may leave the disconnect "OFF" outdoors. Leave it off,
please.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
I've decided to take my own advice and look in to getting a new
natural gas furnace and AC unit installed before the $1500 tax credit
runs out at the end of the year. Not much time left, I know. To get
the credit, it has to be at least 13 EER, and 16 SEER. My old
system is a 26 year old RUUD and I figure between the tax credit and
higher efficiency saving energy costs, it's time to do it.

Anyone have any recommendations as to brands/models that they have had
good results with or those to avoid? Any particular features? I'm
thinking it's going to be worth it to get a high enough efficiency
system to meet the $1500 tax credit, but probably don't need anything
more than that. Any features you've found useful on newer systems and
would recommend? Things like variable speed blowers, dual stage,
etc? But honestly, the current one is fine in terms of comfort,
can't complain about drafts, etc. The house is 3200 sq ft, current
furnace is 150K BTU input, 4.5 ton AC. Location is coastal NJ, with
high gas and electricity rates.

I know what one guy here will say, ie just keep running the old
one.....