Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Good small LED flashlights

I want a good, small LED flashlight that uses one or two AA cells.
(I do not like AAA cells because they cost the same as AA and have
40 percent as much power. I do not want one with more than two
cells because it makes it hard to use rechargeable cells without
reversing and ruining one.)

I want a slide switch with ribs on each side so that it is less
likely to turn itself on. A recessed push button would also be
good. I do not want a screw type switch because they are hard to
use with one hand.

Can anyone recommend one? Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,
Posted to alt.home.repair

Last year I picked up a Dorcy at Sears. Uses 2 AAs and I liked it so much I
purchased 2 more to keep in other places..Switch is a push button on the
end..and cost $20.00 in a package of 2, they have a few other brand but I
do like these.
"Daniel Prince" wrote in message
I want a good, small LED flashlight that uses one or two AA cells.
(I do not like AAA cells because they cost the same as AA and have
40 percent as much power. I do not want one with more than two
cells because it makes it hard to use rechargeable cells without
reversing and ruining one.)

I want a slide switch with ribs on each side so that it is less
likely to turn itself on. A recessed push button would also be
good. I do not want a screw type switch because they are hard to
use with one hand.

Can anyone recommend one? Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,
REALLY good. I'll have some of that!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Daniel Prince" wrote in message
I want a good, small LED flashlight that uses one or two AA cells.
(I do not like AAA cells because they cost the same as AA and have
40 percent as much power. I do not want one with more than two
cells because it makes it hard to use rechargeable cells without
reversing and ruining one.)

I want a slide switch with ribs on each side so that it is less
likely to turn itself on. A recessed push button would also be
good. I do not want a screw type switch because they are hard to
use with one hand.

Can anyone recommend one? Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,
REALLY good. I'll have some of that!"

Harbor Freight and Home Depot have ones like that. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

Daniel Prince wrote:
I want a good, small LED flashlight that uses one or two AA cells.
(I do not like AAA cells because they cost the same as AA and have
40 percent as much power. I do not want one with more than two
cells because it makes it hard to use rechargeable cells without
reversing and ruining one.)

I want a slide switch with ribs on each side so that it is less
likely to turn itself on. A recessed push button would also be
good. I do not want a screw type switch because they are hard to
use with one hand.

Can anyone recommend one? Thank you in advance for all replies.

The free ones at HF exactly fit your requirements except they use 3 AAA
batteries.

You won't find a single-cell led light as they require 3.6 volts (usually).

Rechargeable batteries in a flashlight is generally a bad move - the go bad
just sitting there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I want a good, small LED flashlight...

Whats wrong with the FREE ones from HFT ? The coupons started coming out so
often that after I had 3 or 4 "spares", I started giving them away to
neighbors.

You don' t HAVE TO worry about batteries because you can get another one
FREE before the batteries are dead on the last one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rudy wrote:
I want a good, small LED flashlight...

Whats wrong with the FREE ones from HFT ? The coupons started coming out so
often that after I had 3 or 4 "spares", I started giving them away to
neighbors.

You don' t HAVE TO worry about batteries because you can get another one
FREE before the batteries are dead on the last one.

AND they give a lot of light for such a small unit cause they have 9 LED
bulbs in them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 6, 6:36*am, LouB wrote:
Rudy wrote:
I want a good, small LED flashlight...

Whats wrong with the FREE ones from HFT ? The coupons started coming out so
often that after I had 3 or 4 "spares", I started giving them away to
neighbors.

You don' t *HAVE TO worry about batteries because you can get another one
FREE before the batteries are dead on the last one.

AND they give a lot of light for such a small unit cause they have 9 LED
bulbs in them.

Number of led's means nothing. Look for lumen output.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
On Jul 6, 6:36 am, LouB wrote:
Rudy wrote:
I want a good, small LED flashlight...
Whats wrong with the FREE ones from HFT ? The coupons started coming out so
often that after I had 3 or 4 "spares", I started giving them away to
neighbors.
You don' t HAVE TO worry about batteries because you can get another one
FREE before the batteries are dead on the last one.

AND they give a lot of light for such a small unit cause they have 9 LED
bulbs in them.

Number of led's means nothing. Look for lumen output.

Better test. Used one when the power went out for several hours the
other night and it was fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you look on www.ebay.com you can find some examples of suitable
lights. I've gotten 2 AA light with tailcap push button switch for
about ten bucks. Takes two weeks to arrive from Hong Kong, but
perfectly good light.

The "watt" ratings are over stated. My five watt light draws two
watts, and my three watt single cell light draws about 0.3 watts. Both
perfectly useful lights. The light is slightly blue.

Rechargable cells tend to go dead on their own. They are fine for
applications when you can rotate several through a charger, and into
the unit. For example, pocket digital camera with high drain flash.
For occasional household use, alkalines are the way to go.

Nicads and nickel metal are lower voltage, so the light will be less
bright.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Daniel Prince" wrote in message
I want a good, small LED flashlight that uses one or two AA cells.
(I do not like AAA cells because they cost the same as AA and have
40 percent as much power. I do not want one with more than two
cells because it makes it hard to use rechargeable cells without
reversing and ruining one.)

I want a slide switch with ribs on each side so that it is less
likely to turn itself on. A recessed push button would also be
good. I do not want a screw type switch because they are hard to
use with one hand.

Can anyone recommend one? Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy
grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY,
REALLY good. I'll have some of that!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

Great testimony. Glad it worked for you. I find the HFT free lights
have terrible machining for the threads. Needs a bit of grease, on the
threads. The cheap carbon zinc cells aren't all that great.

I take the cheap batteries out, and use them in my remote reading
thermometer, to use them up. And then put alkalines in as needed.

Like many folks, I have several of the HFT free lights. I store them
without batteries.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"LouB" wrote in message
Whats wrong with the FREE ones from HFT ? The coupons started coming
out so

Better test. Used one when the power went out for several hours the
other night and it was fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/5/2010 10:44 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Daniel Prince wrote:
I want a good, small LED flashlight that uses one or two AA cells.
(I do not like AAA cells because they cost the same as AA and have
40 percent as much power. I do not want one with more than two
cells because it makes it hard to use rechargeable cells without
reversing and ruining one.)

I want a slide switch with ribs on each side so that it is less
likely to turn itself on. A recessed push button would also be
good. I do not want a screw type switch because they are hard to
use with one hand.

Can anyone recommend one? Thank you in advance for all replies.

The free ones at HF exactly fit your requirements except they use 3 AAA
batteries.

He said he wanted good. Those Harbor Freight flashlights are novelty
class. I have one good CREE single cell flashlight that has multiple
intensities. Those Harbor Freight flashlights have significantly less
intensity then the lowest intensity of my flashlight.

I have a holster for it and also a velcro holder for use as a headlight
on the bike.

I used to have a whole bunch of various flashlights and it is just one
of those things that if you haven't used a good one you don't know what
you are missing and once you get one you wonder why you didn't do it a
long time ago.

The light I have has an easily replaceable end cap which has the push
button switch. So the most likely failure point is easy to fix.

You won't find a single-cell led light as they require 3.6 volts (usually).

Rechargeable batteries in a flashlight is generally a bad move - the go bad
just sitting there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/2010 6:36 AM, LouB wrote:
Rudy wrote:
I want a good, small LED flashlight...

Whats wrong with the FREE ones from HFT ? The coupons started coming
out so often that after I had 3 or 4 "spares", I started giving them
away to neighbors.

You don' t HAVE TO worry about batteries because you can get another
one FREE before the batteries are dead on the last one.

AND they give a lot of light for such a small unit cause they have 9 LED
bulbs in them.

Number of LEDs mean nothing. They build them that way because the old
technology LEDs are significantly less expensive.

You would be amazed at how much light you get from a good single LED
light. I have a flashlight that has a CREE LED and it has multiple
intensities. The lowest intensity is significantly brighter than those
Harbor Freight flashlight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
On 7/6/2010 6:36 AM, LouB wrote:
Rudy wrote:
I want a good, small LED flashlight...

Whats wrong with the FREE ones from HFT ? The coupons started coming
out so often that after I had 3 or 4 "spares", I started giving them
away to neighbors.

You don' t HAVE TO worry about batteries because you can get another
one FREE before the batteries are dead on the last one.

AND they give a lot of light for such a small unit cause they have 9 LED
bulbs in them.

Number of LEDs mean nothing. They build them that way because the old
technology LEDs are significantly less expensive.

You would be amazed at how much light you get from a good single LED
light. I have a flashlight that has a CREE LED and it has multiple
intensities. The lowest intensity is significantly brighter than those
Harbor Freight flashlight.

Oh well, but the price is still right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-06, George wrote:

You would be amazed at how much light you get from a good single LED
light.

I'm still amazed people are falling for this LED scam. Sure, LEDs
have their place and they can used to great effect in certain
applications, but completely replacing older incadescent in every
way is ludicrous. You see any LED car headlights? Spotlights?
Floodlights? Of course not. They just don't have the horsepower.

As for these silly overpriced head band lamps and $150 machined alum
AA flashlites, it's all bogus. Sure, they're better than total
darkness, but barely. I want some serious candlepower, not yuppie
outdoor sportsman chic.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-06, George wrote:

You would be amazed at how much light you get from a good single LED
light.

I'm still amazed people are falling for this LED scam. Sure, LEDs
have their place and they can used to great effect in certain
applications, but completely replacing older incadescent in every
way is ludicrous. You see any LED car headlights?

Yeah, but just on Audis--- what do they know?

Spotlights?

Yeah-

Floodlights?

Yeah- but it was the British Navy using them-- so probably nothing
worth bothering about.

Of course not. They just don't have the horsepower.

You're living a few years behind the times.

As for these silly overpriced head band lamps and $150 machined alum
AA flashlites, it's all bogus. Sure, they're better than total
darkness, but barely. I want some serious candlepower, not yuppie
outdoor sportsman chic.

At $10 I don't consider my headband light to be overpriced-- nor at $0
is my collection of HF flashlights.

You're free to use a kerosene lamp if you choose.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

I want a good, small LED flashlight that uses one or two AA cells.
(I do not like AAA cells because they cost the same as AA and have
40 percent as much power. I do not want one with more than two
cells because it makes it hard to use rechargeable cells without
reversing and ruining one.)

I want a slide switch with ribs on each side so that it is less
likely to turn itself on. A recessed push button would also be
good. I do not want a screw type switch because they are hard to
use with one hand.

Can anyone recommend one? Thank you in advance for all replies.

On ebay right now, if you act FAST, there is a CREE for $759. Plus
shipping.

As for me, my wife owns a giftware business. I buy them by the dozen from
suppliers. They are the Outback brand, and IIRC, we pay about $3 per.
They are the 16 LED, or it's a one LED with a reflector to make it look like
it has 16 LEDs, I haven't taken one apart yet.

For the greater part, most of my flashlights will meet a premature death,
getting soaked in water, leaking batteries, getting smashed, or just life.

I would never go out and spend big money on a LED, no matter if I won the
lottery. There's something in me that won't let me pay more than $10 for a
little flashlight.

A police officer in Boulder City, Nevada was saved when a bullet struck his
flashlight instead of him. The papers and company got high mileage out of
that, touting what a good flashlight it was. It was not mentioned whether
they field fire compared it with a $3 Outback, as the Outback has a metal
frame, also. Just not the titanium, or whatever the spendy one the PO was
wearing at the time. They did not state that officers have also been spared
death of serious injury from bullets striking their badges, radios, wallets,
money clips, and other things.

As to which one to buy, I don't have a clue. Go to the stores and shop for
one that has the features you want. For me, a flashlight is a flashlight.
Sure, some are better, and if you need one for a special purpose, get one.
What you want to spend is up to you.

But, I wouldn't wait too long on that CREE on ebay. At $759, it's a
bargain, and it won't last long. There's a buy-it-now on it.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-06, wrote:

You would be amazed at how much light you get from a good single LED
light.

I'm still amazed people are falling for this LED scam. Sure, LEDs
have their place and they can used to great effect in certain
applications, but completely replacing older incadescent in every
way is ludicrous. You see any LED car headlights? Spotlights?
Floodlights? Of course not. They just don't have the horsepower.

As for these silly overpriced head band lamps and $150 machined alum
AA flashlites, it's all bogus. Sure, they're better than total
darkness, but barely. I want some serious candlepower, not yuppie
outdoor sportsman chic.

nb

How did you leap from toy Harbor Freight flashlights into all that? Who
mentioned *anything* about completely replacing everything with LED?

As far as them being bogus I guess all of the military & police and
folks like me who use good LED flashlights every day and understand the
difference must be clueless?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-06, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Yeah, but just on Audis--- what do they know?

They know how much to stiff you. $5000 pair! I'll take a dozen,
don't bother to wrap 'em.

Spotlights?

Yeah-

How big a spot? Big enough to light a Bomber at 10,000ft?

Floodlights?

Yeah- but it was the British Navy using them-- so probably nothing
worth bothering about.

I looked up a few LED floodlights. Flood what? A bathroom sink?

You're living a few years behind the times.

Perhaps. I'm not saying LEDs are NOT the future, but the future is
not today. Today, I use what I know to work for me, not what
marketers tell me works.

You're free to use a kerosene lamp if you choose.

As I'm free to use an old fashioned two D-cell flashlight instead
of my $30 3 LED headlamp, which currently lies collecting dust cuz the
ancient $5 incandescent flashlight is more handy and provides more
USABLE light. Likewise, you are free to use whatever you like.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-06, wrote:

[...]

What is the most used brand on the force, and how much does that light cost?
Can they double up as a nightstick like the long MagLites and hold up? Or
are they mainly used for close up illumination and paperwork? How far can
they throw usable light, and can they be focused down to a small spot like
the MagLite? I just ask because my SIL and daughter are PO's and she gave
me her MagLite because she didn't like its bigness. I love it. I haven't
had to hit anyone with it, though. Yet. All the LED's I have seen throw a
halo of light, and not specifically focused down into any small circle.
Maybe there are some out there that will do that. Are there? In any case,
my dozens of $3 LEDs laying around the house, shop, garage, and cars work
nicely, and for bigger than that, I have a 4 D cell floating light that will
throw a spot for a long long way. $16, IIRC. One size does not fit all,
and different lights work differently. I have a Ray-O-Vac headlamp that has
incandescent, LED, and red filter on it. That one really works great, and
was $12, IIRC.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-06, George wrote:

As far as them being bogus I guess all of the military & police and
folks like me who use good LED flashlights every day and understand the
difference must be clueless?

Yeah, the Police!! There's a good example.

Are those the same police that went from a single flashing red light
to what now amounts to a blinding carnival of lights on top of their
patrol car, none of which, judging by the total candlepower generated,
is even remotely LED driven. Holy Christ! Those lightbars are
generating enough lumens to signal Pluto and cause more accidents than
they prevent. Drive by any accident site, late at night, with more
than two black n' whites present, and it's safer to stare directly
into the sun!

Is this the same Military that went from the .308 NATO round to a
prairie dog cartridge and dumped the venerable Colt 1911 in favor of
an Italian wienie gun? The same military that has GIs begging to
bring back the M14 and buying .45 autos with their own money rather
than get stuck defending themselves with an LED sized bullet?

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

"notbob" wrote in message

As for these silly overpriced head band lamps and $150 machined alum
AA flashlites, it's all bogus. Sure, they're better than total
darkness, but barely. I want some serious candlepower, not yuppie
outdoor sportsman chic.

Check this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=NkkU...eature=related

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 05/07/10 6:54 PM, Daniel Prince wrote:
I want a good, small LED flashlight that uses one or two AA cells.
(I do not like AAA cells because they cost the same as AA and have
40 percent as much power. I do not want one with more than two
cells because it makes it hard to use rechargeable cells without
reversing and ruining one.)

I want a slide switch with ribs on each side so that it is less
likely to turn itself on. A recessed push button would also be
good. I do not want a screw type switch because they are hard to
use with one hand.

You realize that the good LED flashlights are not cheap. Here's the best
one: "http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11343".

Some other 2AA good ones:

"http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14909" (single mode)
"http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15457" (single mode)
"http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19190" (6 mode)

While you're correct about AAA batteries, the problem is that it's a lot
easier to make an LED flashlight that operates off around 3.6-4.5V than
it is to make one that operates off 2.4 to 3V, which is why you see so
many 3 AAA flashlights for sale. I.e. Costco sells a two-pack of a very
good Cree LED flashlight for $20. They have two power levels, a strobe,
and an adjustable beam (spot to flood). But they are AAA powered.

Costco also has some good C cell powered Cree LED flashlights,
"http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11500428&search=415635".

The problem with LED flashlights is that most of them suck. The
manufacturer puts in a very low quality, low power, LED (or a bunch of
crappy LEDs) and sells the thing for $5 (or in the case of Harbor
Freight Tools, even less), but it has a crappy lens and reflector along
with the crappy LED. There are some excellent LED flashlights, but the
high power comes at a price both in initial cost and in battery life.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Try LED Mag lights, in the D cell version. They are very effective.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"notbob" wrote in message

I'm still amazed people are falling for this LED scam. Sure, LEDs
have their place and they can used to great effect in certain
applications, but completely replacing older incadescent in every
way is ludicrous. You see any LED car headlights? Spotlights?
Floodlights? Of course not. They just don't have the horsepower.

As for these silly overpriced head band lamps and $150 machined alum
AA flashlites, it's all bogus. Sure, they're better than total
darkness, but barely. I want some serious candlepower, not yuppie
outdoor sportsman chic.

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-06, George wrote:

As far as them being bogus I guess all of the military & police and
folks like me who use good LED flashlights every day and understand
the difference must be clueless?

Yeah, the Police!! There's a good example.

Are those the same police that went from a single flashing red light
to what now amounts to a blinding carnival of lights on top of their
patrol car, none of which, judging by the total candlepower generated,
is even remotely LED driven. Holy Christ! Those lightbars are
generating enough lumens to signal Pluto and cause more accidents than
they prevent. Drive by any accident site, late at night, with more
than two black n' whites present, and it's safer to stare directly
into the sun!

You are not joking either. I find passing them quite difficult and
potentially dangerous.

Don't get me on those xenon 'fings. I'd love to poke a walking stick through
every one of those that I come across!

I just cannot understand why they are allowed. **** you, I'm alright seems
to be the mentality.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 17:03:50 GMT, notbob wrote Re
Good small LED flashlights:

Is this the same Military that went from the .308 NATO round to a
prairie dog cartridge and dumped the venerable Colt 1911 in favor of
an Italian wienie gun? The same military that has GIs begging to
bring back the M14 and buying .45 autos with their own money rather
than get stuck defending themselves with an LED sized bullet?

Yes, that's the one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-06, Steve B wrote:

and different lights work differently. I have a Ray-O-Vac headlamp that has
incandescent, LED, and red filter on it. That one really works great, and
was $12, IIRC.

What's that "incandescent, LED, and red filter on it" headlamp?

I used to have the great Ray-O-Vac incandescent headlamp. Literally
wore it out after 20 yrs hard use. Now, they no longer make it and
it's a crying shame. The good news is, you can still find one (NOS)
at Ten Square Racing:

http://tinyurl.com/2awwxe2

The bad news is, they want $30! and it's been modified and no longer
includes the battery holster, and end connectors. More good news,
though. They rewired it for the rigors of sled racing and you can
still get screw connector 6V lantern batteries (TrueValueHardware).
You can also get a Krypton bulb for it. This is the same headlight
used by Lance Mackey to win the Iditarod Dog Sled Race the last four
years running.

I jes bought a one. Love it! Incandescent ain't dead yet.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

The mag original LED are expensive, but very effective. The lights
retail about $30. I caught a sale, and bought two, which run on 3D
cells. Brighter and whiter than the 3D Garrrity they replaced. I'm not
sure if the Mag LED bulbs break, on impact. I had a filament Mag bulb
go sideways when I dropped it in a parking lot. The light still
worked, but the light pattern was a bit strange.

Nite Ize, and Garrity replacement LED bulbs emit blue fog sort-of
light.

Other than Mag original, I find LED to be useful as close range light.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B"
wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-06, JawBone wrote:

Check this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=NkkU...eature=related

Hilarious!

I like this one better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79Aw8nH9IrM

Let's see your El-EE-DEE flashlight do that!

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
message ...
Great testimony. Glad it worked for you. I find the HFT free
lights
have terrible machining for the threads. Needs a bit of grease,
on the
threads. The cheap carbon zinc cells aren't all that great.

I take the cheap batteries out, and use them in my remote
reading
thermometer, to use them up. And then put alkalines in as
needed.

Like many folks, I have several of the HFT free lights. I store
them
without batteries.

Maybe it's a difference in Harbor Freight stores, but I took the
batteries out of 4 HFT lights I have sitting right her by my
computer. I got them over the past 2-3 months with the free
coupons. Every one of them has alkaline batteries in them, so
YMMV. My friend and I joke that the batteries alone are worth the
drive to get the free lights.

Nonny

--
On most days,
it’s just not worth

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-06, George wrote:

You would be amazed at how much light you get from a good
single LED
light.

I'm still amazed people are falling for this LED scam. Sure,
LEDs
have their place and they can used to great effect in certain
applications, but completely replacing older incadescent in
every
way is ludicrous. You see any LED car headlights? Spotlights?
Floodlights? Of course not. They just don't have the
horsepower.

As for these silly overpriced head band lamps and $150 machined
alum
AA flashlites, it's all bogus. Sure, they're better than total
darkness, but barely. I want some serious candlepower, not
yuppie
outdoor sportsman chic.

nb

As I understand it, the primary limitation on light output from an
LED is the temperature of the LED in operation. At output levels
exceeding 3 watts, at the present technology, the internal
soldered/brazed junctions melt and the LED fails. Due to the
brief time a "flash" LED is illuminated, such is in a cell phone
camera, heating isn't that much of a problem and higher output
levels can be attained.
Nonny

--
On most days,
it's just not worth

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 2010-07-06, George wrote:

You would be amazed at how much light you get from a good single LED
light.

I'm still amazed people are falling for this LED scam. Sure, LEDs
have their place and they can used to great effect in certain
applications, but completely replacing older incadescent in every
way is ludicrous. You see any LED car headlights? Spotlights?
Floodlights? Of course not. They just don't have the horsepower.

As for these silly overpriced head band lamps and $150 machined alum
AA flashlites, it's all bogus. Sure, they're better than total
darkness, but barely. I want some serious candlepower, not yuppie
outdoor sportsman chic.

nb

As I understand it, the primary limitation on light output from an LED
is the temperature of the LED in operation.

This is true. The semiconductor junction gets extremely hot and needs an
elaborate heat sink, but there's only so much area of the junction that
you can attach the heat sink to, so there's a limit to how much heat you
can dissipate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You would be amazed at how much light you get from a good
single LED
light.

I like just a little light. Some of my pet peeves a People who need
four Coleman lanterns (or one even) at a campsite. People who have those
terribly bright dim headlights. People who have those terribly bright dim
headlights who then find it necessary to drive with their "fog" lights on
where there is clear skies and 50 mile visibility, making them look like
they have their lights on bright, not dim.

If a person uses a small amount of light, it is amazing what they can see.
When camping, I carry one of the one bulb LEDs with the button battery in my
pocket. I have seen them for free at conventions, and get all I can.
Everyone I give one to asks me if I can get any more, as they lost theirs or
broke it, or people ask them for one. But some are afraid of the dark, or
for whatever reason need to light up the area until everything is WHITE! It
is amazing what one can see in only moonlight IF they keep the f'ing lights
off long enough for their eyes to adjust.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

I like just a little light. Some of my pet peeves a People who need
four Coleman lanterns (or one even) at a campsite.

Yes, those can be a bit much.

If a person uses a small amount of light, it is amazing what they can see.

What's amazing is that you assume what works for you also works for
everyone else.

for whatever reason need to light up the area until everything is
WHITE!

.....or perhaps just be able to see!

Little known fact: Not everyone sees as well as you.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-06, wrote:

As far as them being bogus I guess all of the military& police and
folks like me who use good LED flashlights every day and understand the
difference must be clueless?

Yeah, the Police!! There's a good example.

Are those the same police that went from a single flashing red light
to what now amounts to a blinding carnival of lights on top of their
patrol car, none of which, judging by the total candlepower generated,
is even remotely LED driven. Holy Christ! Those lightbars are
generating enough lumens to signal Pluto and cause more accidents than
they prevent. Drive by any accident site, late at night, with more
than two black n' whites present, and it's safer to stare directly
into the sun!

Maybe you haven't kept up with LED technology. All of those new lighting
systems you see on emergency vehicles are LED. They are small, take very
low average power, require simple circuitry since high voltage is not
required as in strobe lights.

Is this the same Military that went from the .308 NATO round to a
prairie dog cartridge and dumped the venerable Colt 1911 in favor of
an Italian wienie gun? The same military that has GIs begging to
bring back the M14 and buying .45 autos with their own money rather
than get stuck defending themselves with an LED sized bullet?

nb

Got it, you don't like anything you aren't familiar with and will just
launch into an endless "see how about this other thing" whenever someone
tries to offer you some information.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"notbob" wrote in message
I like just a little light. Some of my pet peeves a People
who need
four Coleman lanterns (or one even) at a campsite.

Yes, those can be a bit much.

If a person uses a small amount of light, it is amazing what
they can see.

What's amazing is that you assume what works for you also works
for
everyone else.

for whatever reason need to light up the area until everything
is
WHITE!

....or perhaps just be able to see!

Little known fact: Not everyone sees as well as you.

It's amazing how much light is lost to cataracts. As I aged, I
noticed that reading in restaurants became difficult and even when
driving, it never seemed to be bright enough. Remember, also,
that your dept of field decreases with the pupil increasing in
size. Even with new lens implants, I still don't see as well in
low light conditions as I did when younger.

YMMV

As for the Harbor Freight-type flashlights, I love them. They
weigh little and are perfect for trips to the backyard to check up
on the smoker.

Nonny

--
On most days,
it's just not worth

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-06, wrote:

[...]

No idea what brands are used most. I am sure if you were doing finish
painting it would be very clear to you that a Harbor Freight brush just
isn't the same as say a Purdy.

Its pretty much the same thing with technology stuff. I am not big on
wasting money and I don't need to be the first on my block with
something. But I do appreciate good tools. A Harbor Freight flashlight
is a novelty item when you compare it with a quality flashlight. I don't
need to keep dozens of flashlights around and I don't need to put my Bat
Belt on when going out because it is nice and small but very effective.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Daniel Prince wrote:
[...]

I disagree completely. The HF flashlights are cast aluminum (not extruded),
not plastic or thin steel. The have a switch, not a sliding contact, they
have 9 LEDs, not three or five. They are rugged, dependable, exhibit long
battery life, and work under water.

Heck, I'd pay as much as a dollar for them if they weren't free!

I have a holster for it and also a velcro holder for use as a
headlight on the bike.

I used to have a whole bunch of various flashlights and it is just one
of those things that if you haven't used a good one you don't know
what you are missing and once you get one you wonder why you didn't
do it a long time ago.

A flashlight is (usually) a single-purpose tool. If it puts out sufficient
light for the project, one has to call it good. There are few other
considerations and what ones there are, are trivial (except, perhaps, cost).

And I *know* what a good flashlight is. During my cop days I carried a
5-cell Maglite. The company asserted that if the flashlight failed during
its use as an offensive or defensive weapon, the company would replace it. I
never had to take advantage of the guarantee!

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

You would be amazed at how much light you get from a good single LED
light. I have a flashlight that has a CREE LED and it has multiple
intensities. The lowest intensity is significantly brighter than those
Harbor Freight flashlight.

Well, THAT device wouldn't be worth a damn for lurking!

Posted to alt.home.repair

SMS wrote:

The problem with LED flashlights is that most of them suck. The
manufacturer puts in a very low quality, low power, LED (or a bunch of
crappy LEDs) and sells the thing for $5 (or in the case of Harbor
Freight Tools, even less), but it has a crappy lens and reflector
along with the crappy LED. There are some excellent LED flashlights,
but the high power comes at a price both in initial cost and in
battery life.

I'm gonna cut the heads off about three of the HF flashlights, attach them
to a track and hook up a 4.5v wall-wart to see if I can't make an economical
under-cabinet counter light.

Maybe I can replace the flashlight switch with a magnetic switch to turn on
the flashlight when the closet door opens.

We have potential here...