Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Good small LED flashlights

On 2010-07-06, George wrote:

Maybe you haven't kept up with LED technology. All of those new lighting
systems you see on emergency vehicles are LED. They are small, take very
low average power, require simple circuitry since high voltage is not
required as in strobe lights.

Site.

Got it, you don't like anything you aren't familiar with and will just
launch into an endless "see how about this other thing" whenever someone
tries to offer you some information.

Got it, you don't pay attention to what I actually said, but would rather make
erroneous judgements based on your own assumptions.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

Subject: "five watt" flashlights follow up
Date: Thursday, February 11, 2010 12:01 PM

Runs about 3.5 hours on alkaline batteries. Draws
about 0.75 amps. After 3 hours, the cells were
down to about 1.13 volts. It didn't last long
after that.

With NiMH cells, draws about 0.73 amps, so the
brightness is about the same. I'd guess the run
time depednds on the capacity of the NiMH cells.
The Rayovacs from Walmart should be about 3
hours, maybe 2.5 hours.

Still, longer than the "about an hour" from my
tactical Xenon.

http://tinyurl.com/yz5gots

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...nkw=Torch-CA34
These "five watt" lights. The current draw is
actually two watts. But, it's brighter than my
one watt Luxeon, and takes the convenient
(and less expensive) AA cells.

I'm going to keep using my mini mag for pocket
carry, simply cause I'm used to the size, and
twisty function. These are (almost) the same
size as the Mini Mag. But, these would make
good tool box lights. Since I already have a
pocket carry light. Shame they didn't come with
belt cases. I've got enough mini mag cases, that
likely fit just fine. Belt carry might be good for
working security, or some place where having
a spare light would be useful.

The light is about the same bright (indoor test)
as my Ultrafire Xenon. But much cheaper
batteries, and probably longer run time. The
Ultrafire is crisply white light, the LED is
slightly blue. More blue than my Teralux. Well
worth ten bucks, I think.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's astounding. The ones I've gotten lately are red with white
writing and say H cell.

Earlier ones were black with red end, name Legion with yellow
lightning bolt.
Others were black and silver, red end, and namned Envo-Max.

Their alkalines are "Thunderbolt magnum".

Please check the weight versus known alkalines. I doubt the free cells
are alkalines.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Nonny" wrote in message

Maybe it's a difference in Harbor Freight stores, but I took the
batteries out of 4 HFT lights I have sitting right her by my
computer. I got them over the past 2-3 months with the free
coupons. Every one of them has alkaline batteries in them, so
YMMV. My friend and I joke that the batteries alone are worth the
drive to get the free lights.

Nonny

--
On most days,
it's just not worth

Posted to alt.home.repair

Your firepit needs a quit smoking program.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Nonny" wrote in message

As for the Harbor Freight-type flashlights, I love them. They
weigh little and are perfect for trips to the backyard to check up
on the smoker.

Nonny

--
On most days,
it's just not worth

Posted to alt.home.repair

Headlights:
http://tinyurl.com/27zrunh

Posted to alt.home.repair

Might need a current limiting resistor. I've not done much work with
LED. I'm told that when they heat up, the internal resistance drops to
near zero. So, running on D cells will over amp them. The small
batteries aren't an issue, the small batteries can't put out enough
amps to damage.

Like I say, I've not tried this. But some internet research will help.
I love the idea of making under counter lights, or area lights. I also
like the idea of make one on three D cells side to side, and use as a
night light for power cuts.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

I'm gonna cut the heads off about three of the HF flashlights, attach
them
to a track and hook up a 4.5v wall-wart to see if I can't make an
economical
under-cabinet counter light.

Maybe I can replace the flashlight switch with a magnetic switch to
turn on
the flashlight when the closet door opens.

We have potential here...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message
On 7/6/2010 12:49 PM, Steve B wrote:
On 2010-07-06, wrote:

You would be amazed at how much light you get from a good single LED
light.

I'm still amazed people are falling for this LED scam. Sure, LEDs
have their place and they can used to great effect in certain
applications, but completely replacing older incadescent in every
way is ludicrous. You see any LED car headlights? Spotlights?
Floodlights? Of course not. They just don't have the horsepower.

As for these silly overpriced head band lamps and $150 machined alum
AA flashlites, it's all bogus. Sure, they're better than total
darkness, but barely. I want some serious candlepower, not yuppie
outdoor sportsman chic.

nb

How did you leap from toy Harbor Freight flashlights into all that? Who
mentioned *anything* about completely replacing everything with LED?

As far as them being bogus I guess all of the military& police and
folks
like me who use good LED flashlights every day and understand the
difference must be clueless?

What is the most used brand on the force, and how much does that light
cost?
Can they double up as a nightstick like the long MagLites and hold up?
Or
are they mainly used for close up illumination and paperwork? How far
can
they throw usable light, and can they be focused down to a small spot
like
the MagLite? I just ask because my SIL and daughter are PO's and she
gave
me her MagLite because she didn't like its bigness. I love it. I
haven't
had to hit anyone with it, though. Yet. All the LED's I have seen throw
halo of light, and not specifically focused down into any small circle.
Maybe there are some out there that will do that. Are there? In any
case,
my dozens of $3 LEDs laying around the house, shop, garage, and cars work
nicely, and for bigger than that, I have a 4 D cell floating light that
will
throw a spot for a long long way. $16, IIRC. One size does not fit all,
and different lights work differently. I have a Ray-O-Vac headlamp that
has
incandescent, LED, and red filter on it. That one really works great,
and
was $12, IIRC.

Steve

No idea what brands are used most. I am sure if you were doing finish
painting it would be very clear to you that a Harbor Freight brush just
isn't the same as say a Purdy.

Its pretty much the same thing with technology stuff. I am not big on
wasting money and I don't need to be the first on my block with something.
But I do appreciate good tools. A Harbor Freight flashlight is a novelty
item when you compare it with a quality flashlight. I don't need to keep
dozens of flashlights around and I don't need to put my Bat Belt on when
going out because it is nice and small but very effective. Craftsmen
hundreds of years ago performed miracles of building with what we consider
"crude and basic" tools today.

Good tools are good tools. Some are inexpensive, and some are very
expensive for the same type of tool. A lot has to do with the craftsman. A
hammer is a hammer, and a screwdriver is a screwdriver, until the craftsman
takes it to a level of use where there are obvious differences in the level
of the tool. But many never approach that level of craftsmanship.

There are some people who would pay lots of money for a fountain pen, and
then there are websites where the prices are so high that they do not even
quote them on the Internet:

http://www.montblanc.com/products/pr...gold.02246.php

I personally see limits for the amount I spend on a fountain pen (does
anyone use them any more) and flashlights. No matter what the item, someone
can come up with the argument that because theirs cost more it MUST be
better, and do a better job.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JawBone" wrote in message
Headlights:
http://tinyurl.com/27zrunh

Puhleeze! You are feeding my compulsion to drag out of the car and beat the
**** out of people with obnoxiously bright headlights. Or those who drive
with fog lights on and 50 mile visibility.

You'll probably read about me someday in the newspaper, or on the Internet,
most likely, as newspapers are dying.

Is this like penis envy? HEY, LOOK AT THIS! YOU CAN'T GET AWAY! LOOK!
LOOK! LOOK!

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 5, 8:54*pm, Daniel Prince wrote:
I want a good, small LED flashlight that uses one or two AA cells.
(I do not like AAA cells because they cost the same as AA and have
40 percent as much power. *I do not want one with more than two
cells because it makes it hard to use rechargeable cells without
reversing and ruining one.)

I want a slide switch with ribs on each side so that it is less
likely to turn itself on. *A recessed push button would also be
good. *I do not want a screw type switch because they are hard to
use with one hand.

Can anyone recommend one? *Thank you in advance for all replies.

I don't know about "good" but I was in Home Depot a few days ago and
they had large cards with 15 or 18 of the LED flashlights and
batteries for all for about $15 to $18 (worked out @ $1 each). Plenty
of spares or Christmas stocking stuffers.

Ronb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/06/10 06:57 pm, Steve B wrote:

There are some people who would pay lots of money for a fountain pen, and
then there are websites where the prices are so high that they do not even
quote them on the Internet:

http://www.montblanc.com/products/pr...gold.02246.php

I personally see limits for the amount I spend on a fountain pen (does
anyone use them any more) and flashlights. No matter what the item, someone
can come up with the argument that because theirs cost more it MUST be
better, and do a better job.

That argument seems to work for the people who believe that the USA has
the best health-care system in the world: "It costs so much that..."

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

Same deal with loud radios at the camp sites.

I'm with you, after the flash light has been off for a while, I can
see a lot.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in message

You would be amazed at how much light you get from a good
single LED
light.

I like just a little light. Some of my pet peeves a People who
need
four Coleman lanterns (or one even) at a campsite. People who have
those
terribly bright dim headlights. People who have those terribly bright
dim
headlights who then find it necessary to drive with their "fog" lights
on
where there is clear skies and 50 mile visibility, making them look
like
they have their lights on bright, not dim.

If a person uses a small amount of light, it is amazing what they can
see.
When camping, I carry one of the one bulb LEDs with the button battery
in my
pocket. I have seen them for free at conventions, and get all I can.
Everyone I give one to asks me if I can get any more, as they lost
theirs or
broke it, or people ask them for one. But some are afraid of the
dark, or
for whatever reason need to light up the area until everything is
WHITE! It
is amazing what one can see in only moonlight IF they keep the f'ing
lights
off long enough for their eyes to adjust.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote:

I like just a little light.

Do you have blue, gray or green eyes? I have blue eyes. My brother
has brown eyes. My late mother had brown eyes.

My mother would often turn on the light over the sink when I was
washing dishes and say, "Isn't that better?" I would reply, "No,
it's just brighter. It's not better." My brother always seems to
want rooms more brightly lit than I want them.
--
I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have
known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-06, wrote:

[...]

As I mentioned before, it is a small form factor so I can carry it in a
belt holster all of the time, it is reliable, it has a good even beam
pattern, it has multiple intensities, it gets great battery life, it has
even output because of the current regulator and so far it has cost
$13/year and falling. If you buy one you will wonder why you didn't buy
one earlier.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

The free ones at HF exactly fit your requirements except they use 3
AAA batteries.

He said he wanted good. Those Harbor Freight flashlights are novelty
class. I have one good CREE single cell flashlight that has multiple
intensities. Those Harbor Freight flashlights have significantly less
intensity then the lowest intensity of my flashlight.

In addition, the HF flashlights come in colors to match your political
persuasion: Red (Republican), Blue (Democrat), and Black.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Black for pirates, matey?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message

In addition, the HF flashlights come in colors to match your political
persuasion: Red (Republican), Blue (Democrat), and Black.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/7/2010 2:27 AM, Daniel Prince wrote:
"Steve wrote:

I like just a little light.

Do you have blue, gray or green eyes? I have blue eyes. My brother
has brown eyes. My late mother had brown eyes.

My mother would often turn on the light over the sink when I was
washing dishes and say, "Isn't that better?" I would reply, "No,
it's just brighter. It's not better." My brother always seems to
want rooms more brightly lit than I want them.
--

I'm very nearsighted and the more light, the better for me. This is
because like a camera, when the iris is closed to a smaller size,

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Usually, I wear eye glasses for these moments.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

I'm very nearsighted and the more light, the better for me. This is
because like a camera, when the iris is closed to a smaller size,
the depth of field (area in focus) is greater. I have lights all
over the place and I usually carry one or more flashlights with me
wherever I go.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote

As I mentioned before, it is a small form factor so I can carry it in a
belt holster all of the time, it is reliable, it has a good even beam
pattern, it has multiple intensities, it gets great battery life, it has
even output because of the current regulator and so far it has cost
$13/year and falling. If you buy one you will wonder why you didn't buy
one earlier.

What brand is that? I think I need one. ;-)

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 00:27:11 -0700, Daniel Prince wrote:

"Steve B" wrote:

I like just a little light.

Do you have blue, gray or green eyes? I have blue eyes. My brother
has brown eyes. My late mother had brown eyes.

I don't think that matters.

My mother would often turn on the light over the sink when I was
washing dishes and say, "Isn't that better?" I would reply, "No,
it's just brighter. It's not better." My brother always seems to
want rooms more brightly lit than I want them.

Of course I now need reading glasses, but the more light the better (blue
eyes) if I'm reading or need to see anything small. I much prefer reading by
halogens than any other light source. Other than fine work and reading, I
prefer it to be rather dark. We rarely have lights on in the house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve wrote:

I like just a little light.

Do you have blue, gray or green eyes? I have blue eyes. My brother
has brown eyes. My late mother had brown eyes.

My mother would often turn on the light over the sink when I was
washing dishes and say, "Isn't that better?" I would reply, "No,
it's just brighter. It's not better." My brother always seems to
want rooms more brightly lit than I want them.
--

I'm very nearsighted and the more light, the better for me. This is
because like a camera, when the iris is closed to a smaller size,
the depth of field (area in focus) is greater. I have lights all
over the place and I usually carry one or more flashlights with me
wherever I go.

Then you're farsighted.

If you need "reading" glasses, here's a trick. Get your eyes examined by a
professional and get a script for magnifying contact lenses (a "+" value).

Wear only one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve wrote:

[...]

Sorry, I'm an expert on myopia going on 60 years. I wear concave not
convex lenses. My lenses move the point of focus back so the light
will focus on my retinas. I'm -9 in one eye and -6.5 in the other.
I am nearsighted. Presbyopia started bothering me around age 50 and
I often take my glasses off in order to see very close up.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Good small LED flashlights (and eye glasses)

I've got a set of milder lenses, in the van for when I'm doing bench
work.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

Sorry, I'm an expert on myopia going on 60 years. I wear concave not
convex lenses. My lenses move the point of focus back so the light
will focus on my retinas. I'm -9 in one eye and -6.5 in the other.
I am nearsighted. Presbyopia started bothering me around age 50 and
I often take my glasses off in order to see very close up.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/8/2010 8:47 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've got a set of milder lenses, in the van for when I'm doing bench
work.

That sounds like my computer glasses. A weaker prescription for
watching my computer screen.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...
"Steve wrote:

[...]

Have you looked into LASIK or even implantable lenses? I was
around -8 in both eyes and wore glasses since 2nd grade. At 51, I
had LASIK done. I laid on the table and in 5 minutes was told to
sit up. There was no pain or sensation at all. The next morning,
I was 20-25 in both eyes and that improved to 20-15 within a
month. It was almost like a miracle.

Later, cataracts came along and it was back under the knife, so to
speak. Again, the morning after the surgery, the implanted lenses
had taken me back to 20-25 and again by the end of a month, I was
20-20 and could read menus in dim light again.

Nonny

--
On most days,
it's just not worth

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/07/10 08:47 pm, The Daring Dufas wrote:

[...]

Only -9? I'm -11.75 in one eye and not much better in the other. I've
been wearing hard contacts for 40+ years -- during which time I've lost
three. And for the past few years I've needed reading and computer
glasses (two different pairs) as well. "Fortunately" (??) I may need
cataract surgery within the next few years, so they'll be able to fix
the distance vision and maybe even (with "adaptive" or "multi-focal"
lenses) the presbyopia as well.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 10:54:53 -0700, "Nonny" wrote:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...
"Steve wrote:

[...]

Lasik certainly isn't for everyone. I can see distances fine (don't
understand where the astigmatism came from recently, though), but need glasses
(bifocals) for close work. Basically, Lasik would trade my distance vision
for short distances. Not a good trade.

BTW, I didn't start wearing cheaters until I was almost 55 and within six
months I had bifocals. That was three years ago.

Later, cataracts came along and it was back under the knife, so to
speak. Again, the morning after the surgery, the implanted lenses
had taken me back to 20-25 and again by the end of a month, I was
20-20 and could read menus in dim light again.

They are good at that stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve wrote:

[...]

I got my first pair of glasses when I started first grade and when the
optician slipped my eyeglasses on for the first time, I exclaimed, "So
that's where all the noise is coming from!"

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I got my first contacts when I was in college 40 years ago and of course
they where the hard plastic. I loved it when I got soft contacts and the
level of comfort was so much better but I haven't worn contacts for
years because I can't wear them when I'm working due to all the crap
that can get into my eyes.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/08/10 08:42 pm, The Daring Dufas wrote:

... I'm -11.75 in one eye and not much better in the other. I've
been wearing hard contacts for 40+ years -- during which time I've lost
three. And for the past few years I've needed reading and computer
glasses (two different pairs) as well. "Fortunately" (??) I may need
cataract surgery within the next few years, so they'll be able to fix
the distance vision and maybe even (with "adaptive" or "multi-focal"
lenses) the presbyopia as well.

I got my first contacts when I was in college 40 years ago and of course
they where the hard plastic. I loved it when I got soft contacts and the
level of comfort was so much better but I haven't worn contacts for
years because I can't wear them when I'm working due to all the crap
that can get into my eyes.

About 25 years ago I asked my ophthalmologist about switching to soft
lenses. He said, "If you can wear hard lenses, don't switch."

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I remember reading about hard scleral contact lenses that were designed
to reshape the cornea to correct vision. Nowadays scleral lenses have
been developed for all sorts of treatments of eye problems but I think
what I read about back then was concerning the use of the lenses instead
of surgery to correct a misshaped cornea. There is all sorts of
information on the Internet about the amazing work being done with that
type of lens now.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

I remember reading about hard scleral contact lenses that were
designed to reshape the cornea to correct vision. Nowadays
scleral lenses have
been developed for all sorts of treatments of eye problems but I
think what I read about back then was concerning the use of the
lenses instead of surgery to correct a misshaped cornea. There
is all sorts of
information on the Internet about the amazing work being done
with that
type of lens now.

TDD

Having worn hard contacts from age 22 until well over 50, I had to
resort to glasses for a number of months before LASIK surgery.
The reason was just what you are saying: my corneas had reshaped
to the inside curve of the hard lenses. Over the 4-5 months, as I
recall, waiting, my eyes were tested monthly and it was only when
there was no month-to-month change did they proceed with the
LASIK. He said my time waiting was unusual and that normally it
was less. With soft contacts, even toric ones, it's just a couple
weeks as I recall.

Nonny

--
On most days,