Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Good small LED flashlights

"George" wrote in message
On 7/6/2010 11:20 AM, notbob wrote:
On 2010-07-06, wrote:

You would be amazed at how much light you get from a good single LED
light.

I'm still amazed people are falling for this LED scam. Sure, LEDs
have their place and they can used to great effect in certain
applications, but completely replacing older incadescent in every
way is ludicrous. You see any LED car headlights? Spotlights?
Floodlights? Of course not. They just don't have the horsepower.

As for these silly overpriced head band lamps and $150 machined alum
AA flashlites, it's all bogus. Sure, they're better than total
darkness, but barely. I want some serious candlepower, not yuppie
outdoor sportsman chic.

nb

How did you leap from toy Harbor Freight flashlights into all that? Who
mentioned *anything* about completely replacing everything with LED?

As far as them being bogus I guess all of the military & police and folks
like me who use good LED flashlights every day and understand the
difference must be clueless?

What is the most used brand on the force, and how much does that light cost?
Can they double up as a nightstick like the long MagLites and hold up? Or
are they mainly used for close up illumination and paperwork? How far can
they throw usable light, and can they be focused down to a small spot like
the MagLite? I just ask because my SIL and daughter are PO's and she gave
me her MagLite because she didn't like its bigness. I love it. I haven't
had to hit anyone with it, though. Yet. All the LED's I have seen throw a
halo of light, and not specifically focused down into any small circle.
Maybe there are some out there that will do that. Are there? In any case,
my dozens of $3 LEDs laying around the house, shop, garage, and cars work
nicely, and for bigger than that, I have a 4 D cell floating light that will
throw a spot for a long long way. $16, IIRC. One size does not fit all,
and different lights work differently. I have a Ray-O-Vac headlamp that has
incandescent, LED, and red filter on it. That one really works great, and
was $12, IIRC.

Steve