Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Good small LED flashlights

I want a good, small LED flashlight that uses one or two AA cells.
(I do not like AAA cells because they cost the same as AA and have
40 percent as much power. I do not want one with more than two
cells because it makes it hard to use rechargeable cells without
reversing and ruining one.)

I want a slide switch with ribs on each side so that it is less
likely to turn itself on. A recessed push button would also be
good. I do not want a screw type switch because they are hard to
use with one hand.

Can anyone recommend one? Thank you in advance for all replies.

On ebay right now, if you act FAST, there is a CREE for $759. Plus
shipping.

As for me, my wife owns a giftware business. I buy them by the dozen from
suppliers. They are the Outback brand, and IIRC, we pay about $3 per.
They are the 16 LED, or it's a one LED with a reflector to make it look like
it has 16 LEDs, I haven't taken one apart yet.

For the greater part, most of my flashlights will meet a premature death,
getting soaked in water, leaking batteries, getting smashed, or just life.

I would never go out and spend big money on a LED, no matter if I won the
lottery. There's something in me that won't let me pay more than $10 for a
little flashlight.

A police officer in Boulder City, Nevada was saved when a bullet struck his
flashlight instead of him. The papers and company got high mileage out of
that, touting what a good flashlight it was. It was not mentioned whether
they field fire compared it with a $3 Outback, as the Outback has a metal
frame, also. Just not the titanium, or whatever the spendy one the PO was
wearing at the time. They did not state that officers have also been spared
death of serious injury from bullets striking their badges, radios, wallets,
money clips, and other things.

As to which one to buy, I don't have a clue. Go to the stores and shop for
one that has the features you want. For me, a flashlight is a flashlight.
Sure, some are better, and if you need one for a special purpose, get one.
What you want to spend is up to you.

But, I wouldn't wait too long on that CREE on ebay. At $759, it's a
bargain, and it won't last long. There's a buy-it-now on it.

Steve