Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Good small LED flashlights

On 05/07/10 6:54 PM, Daniel Prince wrote:
I want a good, small LED flashlight that uses one or two AA cells.
(I do not like AAA cells because they cost the same as AA and have
40 percent as much power. I do not want one with more than two
cells because it makes it hard to use rechargeable cells without
reversing and ruining one.)

I want a slide switch with ribs on each side so that it is less
likely to turn itself on. A recessed push button would also be
good. I do not want a screw type switch because they are hard to
use with one hand.

You realize that the good LED flashlights are not cheap. Here's the best
one: "http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11343".

Some other 2AA good ones:

"http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14909" (single mode)
"http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15457" (single mode)
"http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19190" (6 mode)

While you're correct about AAA batteries, the problem is that it's a lot
easier to make an LED flashlight that operates off around 3.6-4.5V than
it is to make one that operates off 2.4 to 3V, which is why you see so
many 3 AAA flashlights for sale. I.e. Costco sells a two-pack of a very
good Cree LED flashlight for $20. They have two power levels, a strobe,
and an adjustable beam (spot to flood). But they are AAA powered.

Costco also has some good C cell powered Cree LED flashlights,
"http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11500428&search=415635".

The problem with LED flashlights is that most of them suck. The
manufacturer puts in a very low quality, low power, LED (or a bunch of
crappy LEDs) and sells the thing for $5 (or in the case of Harbor
Freight Tools, even less), but it has a crappy lens and reflector along
with the crappy LED. There are some excellent LED flashlights, but the
high power comes at a price both in initial cost and in battery life.