Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Craftsman (again) Return Policy?

I've purchased Craftsman tool in the past because of the liberal return
policy but seem to remember a recent poster getting a snarky response from
the sales droids about that. My Gooja Karma seems to be lacking because I
can't pull up the articles.

Does Craftsman (Sears) still allow the return policy on their tools? Or has
it been knocked down to "If within the first 90 days of purchase" like most
other tools?

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 11:23*am, "The Ranger" wrote:
I've purchased Craftsman tool in the past because of the liberal return
policy but seem to remember a recent poster getting a snarky response from
the sales droids about that. My Gooja Karma seems to be lacking because I
can't pull up the articles.

Does Craftsman (Sears) still allow the return policy on their tools? Or has
it been knocked down to "If within the first 90 days of purchase" like most
other tools?

The Ranger

Unless it has changed in the last year they are still pretty good
about it. I bought broken tools at a yard sell for almost nothing and
got them exchanged. Tools included a broken shovel and a couple of
worn out ratchets. No Problem.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
On Apr 13, 11:23 am, "The Ranger" wrote:

I've purchased Craftsman tool in the past because of the liberal return
policy but seem to remember a recent poster getting a snarky response from
the sales droids about that. My Gooja Karma seems to be lacking because I
can't pull up the articles.

Does Craftsman (Sears) still allow the return policy on their tools? Or has
it been knocked down to "If within the first 90 days of purchase" like most
other tools?

The Ranger

Unless it has changed in the last year they are still pretty good
about it. I bought broken tools at a yard sell for almost nothing and
got them exchanged. Tools included a broken shovel and a couple of
worn out ratchets. No Problem.

Jimmie

--------------
I seem to recall you need a receipt.... something I am always losing! -
paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Paul Oman wrote:

I seem to recall you need a receipt.... something I am always losing! -

Nope, no receipt needed -- as long as the word 'Craftsman' is still legible on
the handle of the tool, they'll exchange it. Or repair it -- they had a
problem a few years back with failures of the ratchet mechanism on some of
their ratchet wrenches. I returned one, expecting to get a new wrench;
instead, the clerk pulled out a repair kit, replaced the ratchet mechanism in
about 30 seconds, and handed the wrench back to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:

On Apr 13, 11:23 am, "The Ranger" wrote:

I've purchased Craftsman tool in the past because of the liberal return
policy but seem to remember a recent poster getting a snarky response from
the sales droids about that. My Gooja Karma seems to be lacking because I
can't pull up the articles.

Does Craftsman (Sears) still allow the return policy on their tools? Or has
it been knocked down to "If within the first 90 days of purchase" like most
other tools?

The Ranger

Unless it has changed in the last year they are still pretty good
about it. I bought broken tools at a yard sell for almost nothing and
got them exchanged. Tools included a broken shovel and a couple of
worn out ratchets. No Problem.

Jimmie

Boy Jimmie, you oughta win the "There is no right way to do the wrong
thing" award for that. G

Re the OP, my son cracked a Craftsman socket a few weeks ago and had no
problems exchanging it for a new one at our local Sears, without a receipt.

OTOH I had a Craftsman oscillating lawn sprinkler give out on me last
year and brought it with me on a shopping visit to Sears. The clerk gave
me a new sprinkler of similar design, but not marked Craftsman. I asked
him if the replacement would have a lifetime warranty and he told me it
wouldn't and that they no longer carried "Craftsman" sprinklers.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Ranger wrote:

I've purchased Craftsman tool in the past because of the liberal return
policy but seem to remember a recent poster getting a snarky response from
the sales droids about that. My Gooja Karma seems to be lacking because I
can't pull up the articles.

Does Craftsman (Sears) still allow the return policy on their tools? Or has
it been knocked down to "If within the first 90 days of purchase" like most
other tools?

There'd been reports of salesdroids refusing returns/exchanges for
various silly reasons. A couple of weeks ago The Consumerist (A
Consumers Union blog) got on the story, and got the higher-ups at
Sears to crack down on the morons staffing the returns counters.
Full story at
http://consumerist.com/5183468/sears...tools-warranty

Here's the memo Sears sent out to its staff:

Subject: Craftsman Hand Tool Lifetime Warranty

There have been several news articles and emails regarding customers
being denied Craftsman Hand Tool exchanges for reasons that are not
part of the warranty. We've had specific complaints of denied
exchanges based on:

- Tools having rust on them

- A 3 Piece per day limit on exchanges

These are NOT valid reasons for denying our customers their right to
exchange their Craftsman Tools under the Lifetime Warranty.

The warranty states: "If for any reason your Craftsman hand tool ever
fails to provide complete satisfaction, return it to any Sears store
or other Craftsman outlet in the United States for free repair or
replacement. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may
also have other rights which vary from state to state."

Our Craftsman Hand Tool Lifetime Warranty is one of the most important
competitive advantages we have in the market. It is crucial that we
ensure all of our sales associates are trained to understand all the
hand tools that are covered under this warranty.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Apr 13, 1:25*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , Paul Oman wrote:
I seem to recall you need a receipt.... *something I am always losing! -

Nope, no receipt needed -- as long as the word 'Craftsman' is still legible on
the handle of the tool, they'll exchange it. Or repair it -- they had a
problem a few years back with failures of the ratchet mechanism on some of
their ratchet wrenches. I returned one, expecting to get a new wrench;
instead, the clerk pulled out a repair kit, replaced the ratchet mechanism in
about 30 seconds, and handed the wrench back to me.

I liked those repair kits... the really old ratchets were much nicer
than the new ones, at least as far as feel in one's hand goes. I
haven't seen one in years though.

That said, I did manage to get lucky once where I took a friend's 1/2"
drive new-ish ratchet in for repair/exchange after the ratchet stopped
working (one of those deals where we'd both collected a boxful of
busted tools and it was getting to the point where we had to replace
them to get any work done, rather than both of us go I just took both
boxes) and they didn't have any equivalent new models on the shelf. I
walked out with a repaired polished-handle model instead. I thought
for a brief second about going to another store and buying him a new,
standard one but That Would Have Just Been Wrong.

nate

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Ranger wrote:
I've purchased Craftsman tool in the past because of the liberal return
policy but seem to remember a recent poster getting a snarky response from
the sales droids about that. My Gooja Karma seems to be lacking because I
can't pull up the articles.

Does Craftsman (Sears) still allow the return policy on their tools? Or has
it been knocked down to "If within the first 90 days of purchase" like most
other tools?

The Ranger

If it is in fact a CRAFTSMAN tool, then it is a lifetime warranty unless
a air tool or power tool. Air tools are one year. Not sure about the
electric ones. Don't own any craftsman electric stuff. (and never will)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 11:45:27 -0700 (PDT), N8N
wrote:

On Apr 13, 1:30*pm, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

I think the difference is that a socket is a "hand tool" and therefore
it is covered but a lot of other stuff has a limited warranty not a
lifetime one.

nate

In '92 I bought two Craftsman garden hoses (clearly marked). Years
later they were replaced by Sears -- free and still carried the same
warranty. A pin hole leak on the threads for the end.

I once replaced a 3/8 " ratchet. What they gave me was a *refurbished*
tool. It looked NEW.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hell Toupee wrote:
The Ranger wrote:
[...]

Anyone know if you can return it to Kmart?
Just moved here and I don't think there
is a Sears tool department,
just a mail order place. But, there is
a Kmart.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Full story athttp://consumerist.com/5183468/sears-clarifies-craftsman-tools-warranty

[...]

I had broken a new shovel and taken it back for replacement, turned
aound and broke the handle on it again that same day. The lady who
runs that department came out to see if I was abusing the tool. She
inspected the tool and said it wsa a manufactues defect, the grain in
the handle was going the wrong way. Then she inspected every wood
handled shovel there and took them off the shelf because they all had
the same defect. She also gave me a fiberglass handled shovel at no
extra charge. Thats what I call good service.
Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote in message
[snip]
I had broken a new shovel and taken it back for
replacement, turned aound and broke the handle
on it again that same day. The lady who runs that
department came out to see if I was abusing the tool.
She inspected the tool and said it wsa a manufactues
defect, the grain in the handle was going the wrong
way. Then she inspected every wood handled shovel
there and took them off the shelf because they all had
the same defect. She also gave me a fiberglass handled
shovel at no extra charge. Thats what I call good service.

Which is why I continue to purchase Craftsman tools. My similar experience
was with the gravel rake. I purchased the lighter-weight model because I was
going to be using it across a large cross-section of my plot. The few extra
ounces the fiberglass model had caused me to set it back on the shelf. I
purchased the wooden handled rake brought it home and within an hour, the
rake head had pulled itself free of the handle. I went back to the tool
area, exchanged the tool only to repeat the process. The dept manager came
out, looked at the tool, went to the remaining rakes, and pulled a rake head
out by hand, clucked and handed me the fiberglass model for my
inconvenience. It was not only more expensive, it's seen nine years of solid
service.

I'm glad to hear that Sear's VP is letting some uninformed associates (and
hopefully their supervisors) know that customer service is more important
than they seem to think.

The Ranger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/13/2009 1:00 PM Steve Barker spake thus:

The Ranger wrote:
I've purchased Craftsman tool in the past because of the liberal return
policy but seem to remember a recent poster getting a snarky response from
the sales droids about that. My Gooja Karma seems to be lacking because I
can't pull up the articles.

Does Craftsman (Sears) still allow the return policy on their tools? Or has
it been knocked down to "If within the first 90 days of purchase" like most
other tools?

If it is in fact a CRAFTSMAN tool, then it is a lifetime warranty unless
a air tool or power tool. Air tools are one year. Not sure about the
electric ones. Don't own any craftsman electric stuff. (and never will)

Why not?

I have a Craftsman drill (3/8" reversible, *all metal*), router,
circular saw and saber saw (the last two bought new). Never had any
problems w/any of them (well, outside of having to replace the speed
control on the drill which I bought for $15, well-used, at a flea market).

Perhaps your reasons are as irrational as your refusal to use WD-40.

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 4/13/2009 1:00 PM Steve Barker spake thus:

... Don't own any craftsman electric stuff.
(and never will)

Why not?

I have a Craftsman drill (3/8" reversible, *all metal*), router,
circular saw and saber saw (the last two bought new). Never had any
problems w/any of them (well, outside of having to replace the speed
control on the drill which I bought for $15, well-used, at a flea market).

Perhaps your reasons are as irrational as your refusal to use WD-40.

Steve pretty much mirrors my attitude based on my experience -- at one
time Craftsman stuff was pretty good and power hand tools were at least
adequate. But, they got to where nothing I tried was satisfactory or
lasted and I gave 'em up. So far, while they apparently have improved
at least some from their nadir, no reason to give them any advantage
over current choices instead. That I've got essentially everything I
need and don't do as much as did at one time doesn't help in that I'm
not buying nearly the amount of hand tools used to, either...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 08:23:07 -0700, "The Ranger"
wrote:

I've purchased Craftsman tool in the past because of the liberal return
policy but seem to remember a recent poster getting a snarky response from
the sales droids about that. My Gooja Karma seems to be lacking because I
can't pull up the articles.

Does Craftsman (Sears) still allow the return policy on their tools? Or has
it been knocked down to "If within the first 90 days of purchase" like most
other tools?

The Ranger

I have a Craftsman handscrew clamp with a loose handle. I tried to
take it back and they refused, saying that only Craftsman tools
without moving parts are guaranteed. Can't hurt for you to give it a
try.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 7:02*pm, Phisherman wrote:

I have a Craftsman handscrew clamp with a loose handle. *I tried to
take it back and they refused, saying that only Craftsman tools
without moving parts are guaranteed.

There's the rub - by what definition does Sears define a 'hand tool'?
Some might try to claim, as Phisherman mentions, that hand tools are
only those things that don't have moving parts, thereby getting away
with not honoring wrench sets or the like.

But the VP's memo posted at Consumerist.com does put my irk to rest
from a few years ago when a Sears quasi-pseudo-department manager said
that Sears didn't warrenty hand tools any more. Poor 'droid doesn't
even know his own company's policy...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kyle wrote:
On Apr 14, 7:02 pm, Phisherman wrote:
I have a Craftsman handscrew clamp with a loose handle. I tried to
take it back and they refused, saying that only Craftsman tools
without moving parts are guaranteed.

There's the rub - by what definition does Sears define a 'hand tool'?
Some might try to claim, as Phisherman mentions, that hand tools are
only those things that don't have moving parts, thereby getting away
with not honoring wrench sets or the like.

But the VP's memo posted at Consumerist.com does put my irk to rest
from a few years ago when a Sears quasi-pseudo-department manager said
that Sears didn't warrenty hand tools any more. Poor 'droid doesn't
even know his own company's policy...

Always remember droids have bosses and you should ask to speak to one.
Just remember to be nice at the start.
If that does not work ask for the store manager:-))

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

Paul Oman wrote in
m:

JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

Receipt solution: I scan anything in if I even think I may need it some
years out. They just sit in a receipts folder with some descriptive name.
Some of the "You need the receipt" places get depressed when I can
produce it. Couple of examples: New motor for a Shop-Vac, 3 new 18v
batteries for a contractors cordless set, ceiling fan, etc. Works for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 14, 9:03*pm, LouB wrote:

Always remember droids have bosses and you should ask to speak to one.
Just remember to be nice at the start.
If that does not work ask for the store manager:-))

Sometimes that works, if the store manager is good, and other times it
just leads to more frustration on your part and more FAIL on the part
of the store/company. Get familiar with Consumerist.com and the phrase
"executive email carpet bomb".
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kyle wrote:
On Apr 14, 9:03 pm, LouB wrote:
Always remember droids have bosses and you should ask to speak to one.
Just remember to be nice at the start.
If that does not work ask for the store manager:-))

Sometimes that works, if the store manager is good, and other times it
just leads to more frustration on your part and more FAIL on the part
of the store/company. Get familiar with Consumerist.com and the phrase
"executive email carpet bomb".

Results also depend, very much, on the words and attitude you take.

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Why not?

I have a Craftsman drill (3/8" reversible, *all metal*), router,
circular saw and saber saw (the last two bought new). Never had any
problems w/any of them (well, outside of having to replace the speed
control on the drill which I bought for $15, well-used, at a flea market).

Perhaps your reasons are as irrational as your refusal to use WD-40.

No, i just use the items for what they were intended. And i haven't
found any good use for WD-40. If i need kerosene, then i pick up the
kerosene can and use it. _I_ use my power tools everyday. The
craftsman junk won't hold up to that service. Neither will B&D anymore.
Sadly, neither make things like they used to. 'course you being a
once a month handyman, wouldn't know anything about daily hard use of tools.

thanks for the inquiry.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've purchased Craftsman tool in the past because of the liberal return
policy but seem to remember a recent poster getting a snarky response from
the sales droids about that. My Gooja Karma seems to be lacking because I
can't pull up the articles.

Does Craftsman (Sears) still allow the return policy on their tools? Or has
it been knocked down to "If within the first 90 days of purchase" like most
other tools?

The Ranger

I have a Craftsman handscrew clamp with a loose handle. I tried to
take it back and they refused, saying that only Craftsman tools
without moving parts are guaranteed. Can't hurt for you to give it a
try.

you need to try again and get the store manager involved in front of a
bunch of customers. Raise voice as needed whilst you are telling them
"WHAT!?! You won't warranty a lifetime warranty tool???"

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I've purchased Craftsman tool in the past because of the liberal return
policy but seem to remember a recent poster getting a snarky response from
the sales droids about that. My Gooja Karma seems to be lacking because I
can't pull up the articles.

Does Craftsman (Sears) still allow the return policy on their tools? Or has
it been knocked down to "If within the first 90 days of purchase" like most
other tools?

The Ranger

I have a Craftsman handscrew clamp with a loose handle. I tried to
take it back and they refused, saying that only Craftsman tools
without moving parts are guaranteed. Can't hurt for you to give it a
try.

Wouldn't a ratchet have moving parts? People have had them replaced.

--
charles

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Red Green
wrote:

Paul Oman wrote in
om:

JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

Will they accept a copy of a receipt rather than the original? I could see
them being suspucious of abuse if they allowed copies.

--
charles
Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:
On Apr 17, 8:55 pm, (Charles Bishop) wrote:
In article , Phisherman

wrote:
I've purchased Craftsman tool in the past because of the liberal return
policy but seem to remember a recent poster getting a snarky response from
the sales droids about that. My Gooja Karma seems to be lacking because I
can't pull up the articles.
Does Craftsman (Sears) still allow the return policy on their tools? Or has
it been knocked down to "If within the first 90 days of purchase" like most
other tools?
The Ranger
I have a Craftsman handscrew clamp with a loose handle. I tried to
take it back and they refused, saying that only Craftsman tools
without moving parts are guaranteed. Can't hurt for you to give it a
try.

Wouldn't a ratchet have moving parts? People have had them replaced.

--
charles- Hide quoted text -

I have been into Sears stores that will not replace them because of
this. Thankfully some do.

Jimmie

Thankfully? I'd say more like those that don't deserve to be reported
to Sears corporate for being complete tools.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 20:29:11 -0500, Red Green
wrote:

Paul Oman wrote in
om:

JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

Saving your receipt using your scanner is an excellent idea. One
feature scanners need is a one button way to scan the file to the
computer without actually sitting down at the keyboard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

metspitzer wrote:
On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 20:29:11 -0500, Red Green
wrote:

Paul Oman wrote in
m:

JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

My Mictrotek 6000 has such a button, but
you do have to title and direct the
output file. In addition, you have to
wait and wait and wait because it is the
dumbest scanner I've ever owned. I
think it's going to accidentally fall off
the table someday. And it seems every
version of the drivers gets worse and worse
instead of better. Now beside waiting
for the lamp to warm up, even though
it just scanned 5 seconds ago, it wants
to scan everything in some super slow
mode. I admit that I haven't Googled
this problem, just hacked at it myself
to try, without luck, for some
improvement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote:
metspitzer wrote:
On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 20:29:11 -0500, Red Green
wrote:

Paul Oman wrote in
m:
JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

heh.

I have two scanners, a Canon flatbed and an all-in-one deal that I don't
even remember who it's made by. (the latter now living in the girlie's
office, despite having been a present from her. IT's OK, I'll buy her
car parts for xmas.)

Both have such a button, but I can't remember ever having said button
function...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
Art Todesco wrote:
metspitzer wrote:
On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 20:29:11 -0500, Red Green
wrote:

Paul Oman wrote in
m:
JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

You usually have to program these
buttons to work. On my dump Microtek,
there is a separate program to set up
the buttons. The scanner still works
bad. It's getting closer to the edge of
the table.
Posted to alt.home.repair

(Charles Bishop) wrote in

..net:

In article , Red Green
wrote:

Paul Oman wrote in
news:T8idnbSyFL0K7X7UnZ2dnUVZ_sOdnZ2d@earthlink. com:

JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

Depends... :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

metspitzer wrote in
:

JIMMIE wrote:
[...]

At one time, and maybe they still do, there was a separate business card
scanner for such small items.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Just lurking here but I haven't been able to return anything for the last 5
years. A new screwdriver came loose from the handle and that was "my fault
for the way I used it." A drill couldn't be replaced when it caught on
fire. Since they went with K Mart, at least around here, I won't buy their
brand anymore.
"Red Green" wrote in message
(Charles Bishop) wrote in

.net: