Bob Engelhardt

Default New HF shipping policy, rev 2

It has been previously reported that HF has eliminated their free
shipping policy. What wasn't reported was that they have also
eliminated their $5.95 handling charge. This makes it cheaper for
orders less than $40 and only $3 more otherwise. Bob

Order Old New
Amount Shppg Shppg

- $14.99 $8.90 $5.95
$15 - 24.99 $9.90 $7.99
$25 - 34.99 $10.90 $7.99
$35 - 39.99 $10.90 $8.99
$40 - $5.95 $8.99
Proctologically Violated©®

I'm starting to really appreciate HF--best shipping in the bidniss, afaict.
That $9 shipping is regardless of weight!!!
A 250# engine hoist/shop crane ($189) is $9 s&h!!!!!
MaxTool has a similar crane for $119; guess what s&h is??
$119!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NorthernTools' crane ($149) shipping is $80.

Do d'math. Plus, if you return the item, you lose all that shipping!!

HF has liberal return policies, which I think might include freight, or very
cheap freight. Helpful people as well, well organized. No super detailed
knowledge of the item, but Tech support can tell you some details, like, in
two near-identical shop cranes, one is from china, the other from
Taiwan--which makes a diff, quality wise (taiwan usually better, in the past
a lot better).
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
It has been previously reported that HF has eliminated their free shipping
policy. What wasn't reported was that they have also eliminated their
$5.95 handling charge. This makes it cheaper for orders less than $40 and
only $3 more otherwise. Bob

Order Old New
Amount Shppg Shppg

- $14.99 $8.90 $5.95
$15 - 24.99 $9.90 $7.99
$25 - 34.99 $10.90 $7.99
$35 - 39.99 $10.90 $8.99
$40 - $5.95 $8.99

Charles A. Sherwood

A 250# engine hoist/shop crane ($189) is $9 s&h!!!!!
MaxTool has a similar crane for $119; guess what s&h is??
$119!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NorthernTools' crane ($149) shipping is $80.

I just bought a engine hoist at pep boys for 119 (after rebate).
No shipping but I did have to pay tax.

Rex B

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
It has been previously reported that HF has eliminated their free
shipping policy. What wasn't reported was that they have also
eliminated their $5.95 handling charge. This makes it cheaper for
orders less than $40 and only $3 more otherwise. Bob

Order Old New
Amount Shppg Shppg

- $14.99 $8.90 $5.95
$15 - 24.99 $9.90 $7.99
$25 - 34.99 $10.90 $7.99
$35 - 39.99 $10.90 $8.99
$40 - $5.95 $8.99

Still the best deal around on shipping.

--
- -
Rex Burkheimer
Tom

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote:

I'm starting to really appreciate HF--best shipping in the bidniss, afaict.
That $9 shipping is regardless of weight!!!
A 250# engine hoist/shop crane ($189) is $9 s&h!!!!!
MaxTool has a similar crane for $119; guess what s&h is??
$119!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NorthernTools' crane ($149) shipping is $80.

A friend just retired from driving for Roadway trucking, did local city
deliveries only. He said there were alot of days that he would have had nothing
to do if not for Harbor Freight.
They sell a hell of alot of stuff, and I'm sure they get MAJOR discounts.

Tom

Proctologically Violated©®

That's a great price!
Strauss has a crappy one (but perty big) for 249.
Don't see Pep around me.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote in message
A 250# engine hoist/shop crane ($189) is $9 s&h!!!!!
MaxTool has a similar crane for $119; guess what s&h is??
$119!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NorthernTools' crane ($149) shipping is $80.

I just bought a engine hoist at pep boys for 119 (after rebate).
No shipping but I did have to pay tax.

ATP*

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
I got my most recent engine hoist at Costco. $179. It's the 2-ton foldup
model, came with the load leveler. Great deal. - GWE

Costco here doesn't currently have one, there's a Goodwrenc one with the
leveler at Sam's Club for about the same money. I'm not sure if it's any
better than the $120 Pep boys one, though, which also includes a load
leveler.

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
That's a great price!
Strauss has a crappy one (but perty big) for 249.
Don't see Pep around me.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote in message

A 250# engine hoist/shop crane ($189) is $9 s&h!!!!!
MaxTool has a similar crane for $119; guess what s&h is??
$119!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NorthernTools' crane ($149) shipping is $80.

I just bought a engine hoist at pep boys for 119 (after rebate).
No shipping but I did have to pay tax.

Charles A. Sherwood

"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote in message
I just bought a engine hoist at pep boys for 119 (after rebate).
No shipping but I did have to pay tax.

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
That's a great price!

The guy at Pep boys told me they sell out quickly.
He had a large stack of them and said they would all be gone
before the weekend. He also said that sometimes people
are waiting in line in the mornings to get the motorcycle jacks.
Pep boys does have a web site with store listings.

chuck
Proctologically Violated©®

Thanks for the tip. Indeed, $120, one not too far from me.
Just goes to show, w/ a little shoppin, often local beats the web. Esp. a
$119 shipping charge!!
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote in message

"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote in message
I just bought a engine hoist at pep boys for 119 (after rebate).
No shipping but I did have to pay tax.

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
That's a great price!

The guy at Pep boys told me they sell out quickly.
He had a large stack of them and said they would all be gone
before the weekend. He also said that sometimes people
are waiting in line in the mornings to get the motorcycle jacks.
Pep boys does have a web site with store listings.

chuck

Proctologically Violated©®

Man, ahm havin all kinds of pepboy problems--the item in the store is not
the same as the one on the web.
Is the one you bought/saw 2-ton? How high does the boom go? I think I saw
a 1,000 lb rating somewhere. Any clues?
The web-crane is $279, 2-ton, fyi.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote in message

"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote in message
I just bought a engine hoist at pep boys for 119 (after rebate).
No shipping but I did have to pay tax.

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
That's a great price!

The guy at Pep boys told me they sell out quickly.
He had a large stack of them and said they would all be gone
before the weekend. He also said that sometimes people
are waiting in line in the mornings to get the motorcycle jacks.
Pep boys does have a web site with store listings.

chuck

Charles A. Sherwood

Man, ahm havin all kinds of pepboy problems--the item in the store is not
the same as the one on the web.
Is the one you bought/saw 2-ton? How high does the boom go? I think I saw
a 1,000 lb rating somewhere. Any clues?

The boom can be extended and locked in four difference positions.
The hoist is rated 2 ton for the shortest boom lenght. I think
it goes all the way down to 1/2 ton when the boom is fully extented.
The boom will go petty high when fully extented but obviously
will not lift as much. I can take measurements if you really need em.

The hoist I bought looks like the one on the web site. The legs
fold up for storage.

I don't know if this hoist can really lift 2 ton but I have no
need for that much capability. It is good for lifting things
around the shop. I borrowed one before buying this one to help
errect and reassemble a mill in my basement that we took apart to
move. For example we used it to lift and position the vertical
column on a mill. I recently bought a myford super 7 and we used
the exact same model to lift the lathe off a dolly and load it
in the truck.
A very handy tool for a modest price.

chuck
Proctologically Violated©®

Yeah, that's the typical "shop crane motif": 4 position, 2-ton to 1/2 ton,
etc.
Better than what's listed on their web site, a 1-ton at $226/276, depending
on the day, source of info!

I would greatly appreciate your taking a measurement or two when you get the
chance, as altho the local PepBoyz has them, they don't have them on
display, and there is no info on this unit on the web site--or even on the
unit that IS on the web site!

If you could, I'd like the max. ht from the ground at full extension, and
also the "reach" at full extension.

Thanks a lot!!
----------------------------
[...]

Mike Henry

I've got the same Pep Boys hoist and the height is at least 80" from the
floor to the bottom of the hook at the 1-1/2-ton extension. It might be a
little higher but the hoist is in my basement at present and the ceiling
joists prevent me from going any higher. The full (1/2-ton) extension
should give you another 9" or so of height. The reach is about 12" at 1-1/2
ton and probably around 22" at 1/2 ton. That's eyeballed with a tape
measure from the center of the lofting hook to the nearest obstruction on
the hydraulic cylinder.

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message
[...]

Mike Henry

It's a Torin "Big Red Jacks" hoist, Model T32001. You can reach Torin at
1-888-44-Torin. They are in Long Beach, CA. I've no idea of the Pep Boys
model number, but they seem to have these on perpetual sale lately in the
Chicago area.

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message
news
[...]

Proctologically Violated©®

Hey, that's great, really appreciate it!

BUT--

The reach seems sort of small: The one I ordered from HF has like a 72"
reach or greater! 117" in height--according to HF! We'll see when I get
it.

The 22" reach is measured approx. from the ram/piston?

Thanks.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Mike Henry" wrote in message
[...]

Proctologically Violated©®

Oh yeah, how much does it weigh, approx., and who makes it?
Thanks.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Mike Henry" wrote in message
[...]

Mike Henry

I guess that depends on how you measure the reach - I described my
definition below, figuring that you be interested in how close the hoist
could be brought to a vertical surface on the object to be hoisted with full
vertical lift. You'll get quite a few more inches of reach at a lower
lifting height. Looks like about 30 inches with the arm slightly above
horizontal.

"Mike Henry" wrote in message
[...]

Reliable Tool's ebay shipping calculator, anyone else have problemswith it?? Jon Anderson Metalworking 6 January 20th 05 04:43 AM
Shipping advice? PrecisionMachinisT Metalworking 11 January 18th 05 02:16 AM
No more free shipping at HF Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 2 January 14th 05 08:05 PM
Shipping Question T. Woodworking 24 February 3rd 04 07:46 PM
OT - Lightweight Ebay shipping fee scam Jim Stewart Metalworking 11 July 20th 03 12:41 PM