Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Home Depot return policy w/out receipt

Anyone know what HD's return policy is if you do not have a receipt? I know
they take your drivers license number but is there a cap as to how much
stuff ($) you can return without a receipt before they disallow it?
I know Walmart puts you on a 'black' list and after a while (not sure how
you define 'a while') they disallow you returning items.

Anyway, I purchased a small $ item last year ($13.96 door closer) and didn't
need it. I looked far and wide for the receipt and couldn't locate it so I
took the item back to HD and got a gift card (which is ok because I'm always
in their store).
Wouldn't you know it the next day I was cleaning off my desk and came across
the receipt!
Of course the receipt was 9 months old(!) and the receipt states they would
take the receipt items back for 90 days so it is doubtful if I could have
used the receipt to return the item. Too bad I can't go back (or call HQ)
and give them the receipt and have them take me off their 'list'.

Walter

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 19:17:53 -0500, "Walter Cohen"
wrote:

Anyone know what HD's return policy is if you do not have a receipt?

They don't like leeches, after a year! But, I cannot attest to that.

Oren
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
[...]

You are having a major conundrum over $13.95???!!!

Use the gift card and next time put your receipt in a safe place....

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

90 days is very generous, I'd expect a 30-day return policy. Anyone
stretching that to 9 months deserves to be on a list!
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article ,
"Walter Cohen" wrote:

Anyone know what HD's return policy is if you do not have a receipt?

It has become common practice among retailers to give in-store credit when an
item they sell is returned in SALE-ABLE condition with no receipt.

I know they take your drivers license number but is there a cap as to how
much stuff ($) you can return without a receipt before they disallow it?

I expect there is NOT an official dollar limit. Particularly high-dollar
returns, especially those without a receipt, will require the approval of the
store manager or assistant manager.

I know Walmart puts you on a 'black' list and after a while (not sure how
you define 'a while') they disallow you returning items.

How do you KNOW this? I worked for a couple years at our local Wal-Mart and
was never informed of such a policy.

I suppose that if the same person repeatedly brings back stuff for store
credit they will take serious notice. The only person "blacklisted" that I
know of is a convicted shoplifter. They are not allowed into the store.

Anyway, I purchased a small $ item last year ($13.96 door closer) and didn't
need it. I looked far and wide for the receipt and couldn't locate it so I
took the item back to HD and got a gift card (which is ok because I'm always
in their store).

This is exactly what I plan to do if/when I clean-out my garage. I have
perhaps a couple dozen small parts (plumbing & electrical) that were never
used and should be cheerfully accepted (for store credit) by my local Lowes
without receipt.

Wouldn't you know it the next day I was cleaning off my desk
and came across the receipt!

And what did you learn from this exercise? NEVER clean-off your desk!

Too bad I can't go back (or call HQ)
and give them the receipt and have them take me off their 'list'.

Don't worry about it. Unless you have made a habit of returning items with no
receipt (for store credit), you are probably NOT on an actual "list" at all.
Even if you return something or other a couple times in the coming year, I
doubt they'll even raise an eyebrow.

It's the creeps that (somehow) steal a high-dollar item (i.e. rechargeable
drill system) and attempt to return it for CA$H that is the biggest thing they
watch for. Honest guys like you don't give them a moment's pause.
--

JR

No project too small
All projects too big

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
a a is offline

Walter Cohen wrote:
Anyone know what HD's return policy is if you do not have a receipt? I
know they take your drivers license number but is there a cap as to how
much stuff ($) you can return without a receipt before they disallow it?
I know Walmart puts you on a 'black' list and after a while (not sure
how you define 'a while') they disallow you returning items.

You sound pretty paranoid. I've returned tons of things with and without a
receipt to HD and they don't care. I buy a lot of product there and having
a generous return policy is just good business. I don't take advantage of
it - I don't buy use and return parts/tools like they're a rental company
(that dept is at the far end of the store), but if I don't end up using a
bunch of pex or copper fittings, electrical boxes, etc. for a project -
they'll gladly take it back and sell it to someone else.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

[...]

I have noticed sometimes without a receipt the refund can be considerably
less than I paid. When this happens I just tell them I'll return in a day
or two with the receipt.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Walter Cohen" wrote in message
Anyone know what HD's return policy is if you do not have a receipt? I
know they take your drivers license number but is there a cap as to how
much stuff ($) you can return without a receipt before they disallow it?
I know Walmart puts you on a 'black' list and after a while (not sure how
you define 'a while') they disallow you returning items.

I just checked through their web site and you are indeed on the list. If,
in the next 12 months, you attempt to return something else the police will
be called to check you out first. Oh, one more thing, you should have wiped
your fingerprints off it.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article , "Walter Cohen" wrote:
Anyone know what HD's return policy is if you do not have a receipt? I know
they take your drivers license number but is there a cap as to how much
stuff ($) you can return without a receipt before they disallow it?

Why ask here? Why not ask at Home Depot?
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
a a is offline

Pat wrote:
[...]

They can only credit you the amount the product currently sells for - they
don't know when you bought it and how much you paid for it without the receipt.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

[...]

I don't think they have a "list", or I'd be on there. I have returned a
BUNCH of stuff in the last year. However, I've also spent at least $5k at
Home Depot in the last year. It was almost all on credit card, so they
would have a customer file on me, and not on someone who had spent as much
in cash.

I think they are pretty lenient figuring you'll spend the gift card or lose
it like you did the receipt, and they'll be that much more ahead. I know
when I return stuff, I'm usually on a mission to get more stuff, and use up
the gift card plus additional $$$.

I know WalMart and others are cracking down on serial intentional return
people. Buy it, wear it once, and return it. I don't think articles of
clothing should be returnable at all unless defective. With hardware, if it
's in the original packaging, or saleable, it's just good business for them
to take the items. It's different than other more personal items.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

I gave them 2 credit cards to swipe (one was the actual card used 9 months
earlier) but they said there was no record of it. Perhaps their system only
goes back a few months for data retention.

Walter
"Walter R." wrote in message
I always use my credit card for purchases at the HD. No sales slip is
needed when I return stuff for whatever reason. They keep track of each
item purchased by credit card number and just credit it back to your card.
No need to keep or look for sales slips. Date is never a problem.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article ,
"Walter Cohen" wrote:

[...]

I made a respectable 30% ROI in about a year on a home depot purchase of
about $125. I had purchased a number of framing brackets that I ended up
not needing, and procrastinated returning. I *did* have the receipt, but
since it had been more than 90 days, they would "only" give me store
credit. Turns out that the price on that item had increased about 30% in
that year.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article 273zj.58846$FO1.25756@edtnps82, a wrote:

They can only credit you the amount the product currently sells for - they
don't know when you bought it and how much you paid for it without the
receipt.

Usually w/o receipt, they'll likely credit you not (Necessarily) the
current price, but the LOWEST price it has sold for. Because of the
reason you gave above.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article 273zj.58846$FO1.25756@edtnps82, a wrote:

They can only credit you the amount the product currently sells for - they
don't know when you bought it and how much you paid for it without the
receipt.

Usually w/o receipt, they'll likely credit you not (Necessarily) the
current price, but the LOWEST price it has sold for. Because of the
reason you gave above.

Since that flies in the face of my personal experience, are you basing
that on your experience, or merely reasonable speculation?

Thats what every return policy I have ever read states. The few times I
have returned something without a receipt they followed the policy. In
one case the girl remarked, "sorry, this sells for $75 but it sold for
$55 two months ago so I can only give you $55" (approximate numbers from
memory).

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article 273zj.58846$FO1.25756@edtnps82, a wrote:

They can only credit you the amount the product currently sells for
- they don't know when you bought it and how much you paid for it
without the receipt.

Usually w/o receipt, they'll likely credit you not (Necessarily)
the current price, but the LOWEST price it has sold for. Because of
the reason you gave above.

Since that flies in the face of my personal experience, are you basing
that on your experience, or merely reasonable speculation?

I took an item back to Lowes WITH a receipt. The store refunded MORE than I
paid. When I called it to their attention, they told me the item's price had
gone up!

Go figure... Because their computer can't!

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

If you don't have a receipt, you ain't getting cash back. period.
Store credit up to 90 days
Mgr's have some discretion after that.

And yes, they DO keep a black list of habitual returners. It has gotten to
be a VERY expensive burden. Too many guys buying extension ladders on
Friday and returning them on Monday covered with paint.

Recent HD employee

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
a a is offline

HeyBub wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article 273zj.58846$FO1.25756@edtnps82, a wrote:

They can only credit you the amount the product currently sells for
- they don't know when you bought it and how much you paid for it
without the receipt.

Usually w/o receipt, they'll likely credit you not (Necessarily)
the current price, but the LOWEST price it has sold for. Because of
the reason you gave above.

Since that flies in the face of my personal experience, are you basing
that on your experience, or merely reasonable speculation?

I took an item back to Lowes WITH a receipt. The store refunded MORE than I
paid. When I called it to their attention, they told me the item's price had
gone up!

Go figure... Because their computer can't!

Damn - you should have bought more!

PS - Was it copper?
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
a a is offline

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article 273zj.58846$FO1.25756@edtnps82, a wrote:

They can only credit you the amount the product currently sells for - they
don't know when you bought it and how much you paid for it without the
receipt.

Usually w/o receipt, they'll likely credit you not (Necessarily) the
current price, but the LOWEST price it has sold for. Because of the
reason you gave above.

Makes (business) sense...

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"curmudgeon" wrote in message
If you don't have a receipt, you ain't getting cash back. period.
Store credit up to 90 days
Mgr's have some discretion after that.

And yes, they DO keep a black list of habitual returners. It has gotten
to be a VERY expensive burden. Too many guys buying extension ladders on
Friday and returning them on Monday covered with paint.

Recent HD employee

You guys are too good. I would have said no dice and risked losing a
customer. I overbuy a lot on projects, mainly to save me a trip of 35 miles
when I need one or two more widgets to finish. Unopened, or just like they
were when I took them home. That's reasonable. Someone bringing back a
ladder with paint on it, and a manager taking it back are both VERY
UNreasonable.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Mar 3, 7:17*pm, "Walter Cohen" wrote:
[...]

If HD had a blacklist, I'd be on it. I always overbuy for projects
and return what I don't need. I typically don't even bother with
receipts, store credit is fine with me.

I will tell that they do indeed keep track, at least in the short-term
and on a inter-store basis.

After cleaning up my shop, I had tons of plumbing fittings from
various jobs. I didn't know which were HD's and which were Lowes, so I
took them all into HD and they gave me credit for what their computer
recognized and handed me back anything it didn't. All smiles, no
hassle.

I went back to my van and found a few more HD fittings that had rolled
onto the floor. Instead of going back and troubling the nice folks at
the same HD, I knew I would pass another one on my way home, so I
decided to stop there instead. When I tried to return the items, the
cashier said she needed management approval.

When the manager came over, she looked at the screen and then approved
the return. I asked "Did it flag the fact that I just returned a bunch
of stuff at another HD about 15 minutes ago?" and she said "Yes, but
it's no problem."

Big brother is indeed watching!
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
TH TH is offline

On Mar 3, 4:17 pm, "Walter Cohen" wrote:
[...]

I can't count the number of times I have returned stuff to HD without
a receipt. I always buy more than I think I'll need, and return the
unused stuff after I'm done. I even found a bag of some items over a
year old, told them it was that old, and they still took it back. As
long as it shows up on their scanner, they'll take it back. They're
not going to put you on any list, unless maybe they catch you trying
to scam them. They will give you the lowest price that it has sold
for. Last time I took things back without a receipt, the Gal was able
to look it up on the computer because I used my Debit card.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On Mar 4, 2:47*pm, TH wrote:
[...]

to look it up on the computer because I used my Debit card.- Hide quoted text -

As long as it shows up on their scanner

I once took something back to HD, a long, long time ( 1 year?) after
I bought it. It didn't scan, so they wouldn't take it back. I was
sure I bought it there 'cuz it was in an HD bag with a bunch of other
stuff from the same project and they took everything else back. I was
so convinced that I bought it there that I went back to the aisle
where it should have been and found that the manufacturer had
significantly changed the packaging, along with the SKU.

It was a small dollar item, so I didn't push the issue. I think it's
still in my shop someplace, although I doubt I'll ever use it.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Anyone know what HD's return policy is if you do not have a receipt? I know
they take your drivers license number but is there a cap as to how much
stuff ($) you can return without a receipt before they disallow it?

I'm sure it's 100 dollars a year or more. I've returned a lot more
than 20 dollars without a receipt and they've never said a word.

I would guess they have a fairly complicated algorithm to decide who
is stealing and who isn't. And they might skip 100 and wait to see if
you surpass 300 or 500 in 3 years. Just guessing at the numbers but
people who shoplift for a "living" must try to do a lot more that.

I don't know if there is a way to show them the receipt after it's no
longer useful for getting cash back. I would think there would be,
because of course they are interested in distinguishing thieves from
others.

Projects drag on. Lots of things keep them from going forward, and I
think the HD people know that.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Walter Cohen wrote:
Anyone know what HD's return policy is if you do not have a receipt? I
know they take your drivers license number but is there a cap as to
how much stuff ($) you can return without a receipt before they
disallow it? I know Walmart puts you on a 'black' list and after a while
(not sure
how you define 'a while') they disallow you returning items.

Today's Home Depot-themed cartoon:

http://daybydaycartoon.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

All people are looking for here is a simple answer, not a whole bunch of criticism and **** talking about how you will be put on a black list and how so and so sounds paranoid or how cool you are because you return copper fittings all the time and don't care, blah blah blah....A simple answer would be just fine with out all the other bull ****.

Posted to alt.home.repair

This occured in pittsburgh area

I wondered why people ALWAYS had HD and lowes cards on craigslists for big bucks, like 500 bucks and up.

This scheme reportedly cost HD and lowes over a million bucks

Walk in store, get a big flat cart, pick up high value items all over the store, push cart to returns desk, conveniently located inside store, no need to go outdoors

Return the items you never paid for, since you have no receipt they give you gift cards which you sell later, on craiglist at bargain prices.

Use one of your many fake driver licenses.. since they record who you are.

Get wealthy, stores sees MAJOR shrink, and finally catches the thieves.

Theft ring now get 3 hots and a cot in prison.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/2014 9:36 AM, bob haller wrote:
This occured in pittsburgh area

I wondered why people ALWAYS had HD and lowes cards on craigslists for big bucks, like 500 bucks and up.

This scheme reportedly cost HD and lowes over a million bucks

Walk in store, get a big flat cart, pick up high value items all over the store, push cart to returns desk, conveniently located inside store, no need to go outdoors

Return the items you never paid for, since you have no receipt they give you gift cards which you sell later, on craiglist at bargain prices.

Use one of your many fake driver licenses.. since they record who you are.

Get wealthy, stores sees MAJOR shrink, and finally catches the thieves.

Theft ring now get 3 hots and a cot in prison.....

A thief is still a thief, but stores make it too easy for them to be
one. The easy return policy makes the store user friendly and exposes
them to fraud. They really have to tighten up on this type of thing.
It did not cost HD and Lowes a million bucks, it cost the rest of us
that much.

Lowes now will ask your phone number to make for easy returns. They can
easily associate the phone number with the item bought to see it was
legit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 31, 2014 10:59:15 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I was told that locally the photo every persons face returning things. I rarely return anything!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 31 May 2014 08:07:57 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

I was told that locally the photo every persons face returning things. I rarely return anything!

Me too.

If you have you're receipt, I think they'll give you the money you paid
no matter how old it is. Or not.

But without a receipt, they give you the lowest price it ever sold at.
And if you wait too long, they change all the stock numbers every few
years, so when I tried to return a wall timer because they now sold
timers for fluorescents, they offered me either a dollar or 15 cents.
So I kept it and will give it to someone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

A few years ago I went to a HD near my workplace and returned a bunch of
plumbing parts - PVC fittings, etc. I didn't have a receipt, so they asked
for ID and gave me store credit.

When I got back in the car, I found a few more pieces that had fallen out
of the bag. I had to get back to work, so I decided that I would just swing
by the HD near my house in the way home from work. After the clerk asked me
for my ID and entered my info into the computer, he stopped, picked up the
phone and called a manager over. The manager looked at the screen, entered
some kind of approval code and the clerk finished processing the
transaction.

When I asked him what that was all about, he said that the system flagged
the second return as suspicious since I had already returned some items at
another HD on the same day. Apparently, that's a indication of some type of
scam.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 31, 2014 9:36:00 AM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
This occured in pittsburgh area

I wondered why people ALWAYS had HD and lowes cards on craigslists for big bucks, like 500 bucks and up.

This scheme reportedly cost HD and lowes over a million bucks

Walk in store, get a big flat cart, pick up high value items all over the store, push cart to returns desk, conveniently located inside store, no need to go outdoors

If they actually did it that way, then it's the stores
own fault for being so dumb. Lowes here has the returns
area separate from the rest of the store and you couldn't walk into it without going outside first.
It's really pushing it to believe that thieves could
load a whole cart up with stuff inside the store and
then take it straight over to returns without being
noticed.

Return the items you never paid for, since you have no receipt they give you gift cards which you sell later, on craiglist at bargain prices.

Use one of your many fake driver licenses.. since they record who you are.

Get wealthy, stores sees MAJOR shrink, and finally catches the thieves.

Theft ring now get 3 hots and a cot in prison.....

You would think the store would have some limit on
how much they will refund via that mechanism. It seems
reasonable not to require a receipt for $15 worth of
plumbing fittings, a hand tool or two, etc. But when
you're rolling up a car with $500, the store would have
to be nuts not to require a receipt for at least most
of it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

That happens if the item goes on sale. Without the receipt your item will be taken at the most current price available so it it wise to take a receipt with you for a rerun to ensure you get the full dollar amount of what you paid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 3, 2008 at 4:17:53 PM UTC-8, Walter Cohen wrote:
[...]

What people's past experience are doesn't count any more. HD has a NEW Policy as of 2015. And it doesn't matter if the No receipt value was only 1 Penny or a 100 dollars. It's all counted as the same. Further and listen closely. If you bought say 200 dollars worth of 10 items and it includes just 1 Penny you applied to that 200 dollars worth of purchases where that 1 Penny was applied from a No-Receipt store credit, then the whole receipt of 200 becomes non-returnable. In other words none of the 10 items you purchased are returnable.
In order to get a refund (even thou you have a receipt for those 10 items) you must write HH Corporate Office in Irvine, Attention TRE POBox 51373, Irvine, CA 92619-3133. There won't be anyone to talk to, it must be in writing requesting the refund credit. If you want more information you must call 1-866-550-3133 but they will tell the same as I just did above, nothing more. They'll just hang up on you if you try to explain your reasons.

My suggestion is never never use a Store Credit to pay partial of a greater amount due, as will affect all items (even if bought by cash or Credit Card)as non-refundable "Return Declined".
Quote: "HD also suggest not to use other people Store Credit as it will impact your ability to make returns."

What people experiences have been in the past, you can throw out the window..

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You can ignore people response of their experiences. HD policy has changed, as given in detail below.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/05/2015 04:00 AM, wrote:

LOOK AT THE DATE!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/5/2015 5:30 AM, philo wrote:
On 11/05/2015 04:00 AM, wrote:
On Monday, March 3, 2008 at 4:17:53 PM UTC-8, Walter Cohen wrote:

LOOK AT THE DATE!!!!

I did. She'd look better with less cleavage
showing.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 02:00:40 -0800 (PST), wrote:

[...]

Here in Canada if it is on credit card, they have computerized record
and can go back and see exactly what you bought and when and for what
price, even if you bought it at a different location. Cash purchaces
require a reciept. Credit card returns are creditted back to the
original card. Can be a problem if you just upgraded your card and end
up with a new number though - - -